• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordKano

I don't agree. I get so mad when the news app on my phone spoils the news broadcast I was about to watch. This is no different.

In the end, who cares ? The information was given and it was the same. The situation won't change whether or not the information is given in 10 days or now. What is left from the "surprise" of a press event ? Fond memories ?

oti

Banned
I genuinely wonder if the people saying this launch lineup is "underwhelming" bought either Xbox One or PS4 at launch. Both consoles had a launch lineup that consisted primarily of third party games that were also available on PS3/Xbox 360. The Switch will have a similar launch situation but with first-party games! Games that you cannot play on platforms that weren't made by Nintendo! On top of that, many of the "ports" are supposed to have added content!

There's just something about Nintendo that will never impress certain people, and that's ok. I just wish they'd stop attempting to drag everyone else down with them.

Remember the PS3? Its first year lineup was a tragedy.

Switch has Mario Kart, Zelda, Splatoon, Smash, Mario and more all in the first year. More importantly, with all those names out of the way Nintendo is free to release new names. Very exciting times ahead.

Well, in the last couple of years pounds to dollars translations have gone in the following way: just add $50 or $40 to the number of pounds, and you have the dollar price (not exactly rocket science). Now with the lower value of the pound, there might be a change in that way of doing things, especially considering the Switch might have a low starting price (rumoured 199 pounds by Laura Kate Dale). The Daily Mirror guy said he heard 299 pounds and 349 pounds, but his source is from retail, and he himself said that the source doesn't have access to the direct information (so, in theory this guy could simply be reporting the place holder price for the Switch).

Take a look at this video (mark 50:12) to see how the PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro did the conversion of pounds, dollars and euros.

But the person I was quoting said you don't simply add $40 or $50 to get the US price.

VAT is a 20% tax built into the retail price as opposed to the US where sales tax is added to the advertised/listed price at checkout. Sales tax in US varies by state. That's the main difference as far as consumer prices go (there's other areas where VAT gets charged that wouldn't be charged sales tax in the US, but that's not really relevant to this example).

So to calculate the price without VAT, we divide 199 pounds by 1.2, giving us 165.83 which is $203 US. 250 British pounds minus 20% VAT converts to $254 US dollars.

In thefro's model, 199 pounds translates to $203 before sales tax. Your model would suggest it translates to $250. So I'm confused as to which it is.

Ponn

Banned
i will consider this event a disappointment if no gta v port is announced

don't fuck it up nintendo

I'm done with GTA, i've given it several chances now and I just cannot get into those games for the life of me.

Now if they announce Red Dead for Switch I will be riding my christmas tree around pretending to shoot guns in the air making cowboy noises.

As the resident Vitabro here, even I can tell you that's dogshit. Fuck those controls.

*high five*

I suspect many Vita owners will picking up a Switch for similar reasons. You are correct, remote play is adequate and has helped me play some PS4 games I otherwise wouldn't have but its far from perfect and the controls on some, like GTA are too wonky. I was excited to try and play Batman Arkham Knight through remote play but it was just not going to happen with those Batmobile controls. I'm super excited for Switch as the ultimate culmination of what I wanted out of Vita.

Zedark

I genuinely wonder if the people saying this launch lineup is "underwhelming" bought either Xbox One or PS4 at launch. Both consoles had a launch lineup that consisted primarily of third party games that were also available on PS3/Xbox 360. The Switch will have a similar launch situation but with first-party games! Games that you cannot play on platforms that weren't made by Nintendo! On top of that, many of the "ports" are supposed to have added content!

There's just something about Nintendo that will never impress certain people, and that's ok. I just wish they'd stop attempting to drag everyone else down with them.

It is true, and I think Switch has a pretty decent amount of rumoured new games coming. You should take into acccount (from the perspective of the market and of Nintendo) that they are competing with systems that are in their prime (Xbox One and PS4 are 3 years old, usually the queue for a ramping up of great titles), so they have to do better than just okay for a launch lineup to be competitive I think.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Not once did I imply I have an issue spreading these games to a wider audience. I think that's great! But you think we'll see other big release in the first six months; and I'm not as confident. Simple as that.

That's a fair opinion. I'm much the same on it currently. Simple solution is to just not buy at launch. I lean more toward waiting until 2018 or beyond to see if the game library is hitting the right notes, or if it would just gather a lot of dust like my Wii U and 3DSs did.

Unless the Switch version gets a huge enhancement, I could just play Zelda on my Wii U if I can't wait for it. Honestly, I'm mildly excited at best for it anyway as I'm not big on the artstyle and worry the open world will be boring given how barren I found the much smaller overworlds in past 3D Zeldas and my general open-world fatigue.

It's not like people are praising those and bashing the rumored Switch lineup here though (or if they are I missed it).

A mediocre Switch launch line up would be leagues better than those dreadful launches. Other than fanboyism, or wanting to play better looking versions of CoD et al., there was no good reason to own those systems until well into 2013.

It is true, and I think Switch has a pretty decent amount of rumoured new games coming. You should take into acccount (from the perspective of the market and of Nintendo) that they are competing with systems that are in their prime (Xbox One and PS4 are 3 years old, usually the queue for a ramping up of great titles), so they have to do better than just okay for a launch lineup to be competitive I think.

Also very true. The Switch is likely to be $250-300 and going against same priced or cheaper PS4 and X1 Slim bundles. That can be tough sell for non-nintendo fans, less serious gamers who haven't taken the next gen plunge etc.

Fanuilos

All new system launches launch with a ton of ports.

If Nintendo has Zelda and 3D Mario out within 3-4 months of launch that would by default be a very strong launch.

For Nintendo fans, sure. Is that enough to keep the business going as is? I'm not sure, but if that's the strategy they're going for I hope it is.

sammex

So wait. I remember the Daily Mirror guy saying that he heard £249/£299, and in my head I'm thinking DOA under the impression that that translated to $299/$349. But now that I am educated and know about VAT, does that actually translate closer to $249/$299?

That Mirror reporter said he expects £299/349 after Argos listed it at £299. LKD said GAME will price it at £200/249.

Zedark

But the person I was quoting said you don't simply add $40 or $50 to get the US price.

Mathematically you wouldn't, but console manufacturers still do (as I said, the way they do it is not exactly rocket science). As I mentioned in my post, there are definitely reasons to expect them to lower that price difference so that the dollar and pound are closer in number (pound value decrease and low rumoured price of Switch hardware), but there isn't yet a precedent for gaming hardware to have the same price in pounds and in dollars/euros (at least not XBOX, Playstation and Nintendo hardware) as far as I am aware.

Portugeezer

Laura shouldn't stop with the leaks because a few people want to be surprised. We shouldn't give a fuck about PR, all we should care about is the information, and as quick as possible.
Even if we had all the info, we'd still be seeing a lot of things for the first time which is always exciting.

m4st4

So, Zelda at launch. Mario rabbids in sept. What else have i missed?

Hopefully:

image.php

I just love Max Payne 3 and still can't believe it doesn't have a current gen port. :(

Mathematically you wouldn't, but console manufacturers still do (as I said, the way they do it is not exactly rocket science).

Ah I get it now, thank you. Lol when you first said, "it's not rocket science," I thought you meant, "it's not that hard to figure out" to me. You meant that there's no exact science to how they determine these prices.

Zedark

Even if we had all the info, we'd still be seeing a lot of things for the first time which is always exciting.

Indeed. I mean, even though we had the teaser in the reveal trailer, I am thoroughly anticipating a gameplay trailer for that 3D Mario game.

LordKano

Exactly. We know there will be a new Mario but that's little info. How will it look ? How does it play ? That's the most important part and something journalists can't leak.

wait wait WAIT

Rayman Legends is being ported to the switch?

What if...it's a new Rayman game?

Where did his rumor come from?

If the rumor is true, I hope for new content!

MomoQca

Why do I keep seeing people refer the Xenoblade X port as Xenoblade Chronicles XX? The rumors only suggest it as a Switch port--nothing more than that.

Aonuma

That's a fair opinion. I'm much the same on it currently. Simple solution is to just not buy at launch. I lean more toward waiting until 2018 or beyond to see if the game library is hitting the right notes, or if it would just gather a lot of dust like my Wii U and 3DSs did.

If everyone just "waits until 2018" we'll have the Wii U all over again. People need to buy it before 3rd parties buy in too.

Zedark

I wonder why they'd push this one back.

To avoid launch day madness, I'd think. There will be some big titles (Zelda and Skyrim) available most likely, so they won't want to just drop it in there, as it would just die.

Edit:
Looks like I've missed a lot of news today.
Laura has a nice and meaty summary of all her Switch leaks ever written down here, if you have time to catch up.
Director's summary: BG&E2 timed exclusive for 12 months, coming to XB1, PS4 and PC afterwards. Rayman Legends port Q2 2017. Rabbids x Mario RPG will land in September, and Zelda at launch more firmly determined by Laura.

m4st4

Wait, did LKD mention new Animal Crossing for Switch, this year? In combination with mobile game launch this March.

Oersted

If everyone just "waits until 2018" we'll have the Wii U all over again. People need to buy it before 3rd parties buy in too.

I wouldn't overstate the importance of such posts.

We had a bunch of Gaffers claiming they are waiting with Pokemon Sun & Moon due to the upcoming Pokemon Stars for Nintendo Switch.

Pokemon Sun & Moon broke sale records around the globe.

What was that guy's twitter handle who said Zelda was definitely coming at launch before LKD "confirmed" it? All I remember about his bio is that he's an Evo community manager? Anyways I just want to see if he's said anything else

kunonabi

Tough shit. They've made it clear the last year they don't want my money so im perfectly fine waiting until I find the form factor, price, and library to be acceptable. If the non wii u owners they're so focused on don't show up that's their problem not mine.

That said, I expect the switch to do just fine early on and it will be another worthwhile Nintendo console eventually. Even if it will probably stay hideous looking.

Nairume

Banned
Nobody wants a Rayman Legends port. Makes no sense.

Anybody who ever wanted it bought it and was disappointed with it on another platform.
I probably would have been down for triple dipping on it until I realized that a Switch port of Legends would probably not have touch controls for the Murfy stages.

Nintendo still has not have Rayman Origins in HD, it was a Wii title. Of course I played on my vita but I would be happy to replay it on a (slightly) bigger screen *wink wink*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom