• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachimari

Nothing weird about not liking certain games, what is weird is saying that you are "a fan of games in general" and then use that as a reason why you don't like certain games. It's indeed a very weird argument.
You seem butthurt over nothing? I phrased it in a wrong way, okay?

Neoxon

You own Tekken 7?
You actually own a Japanese Arcade Machine?

Damn, bruh. Can I come over to play it? I'll bring beer.
Same here. I hope it's Fated Retribution, since I've been needing to try out Akuma in Tekken 7 for a while. I'll bring the pizza.

Do we know if WiiU Pro Controllers will be supported

I dont see why not since its rumored to support Wii Remotes and has bluetooth
I believe Laura said that some games will support the old Wii controllers.

oti

Banned
99Ye7YT.gif

We finally make it into single digit now!

9 Days and we've already reached insanity.

I don't want to take away from your excitement - honest! Glad you're pumped. But for me, I've put my comments above. As a WiiU owner and a gamer in general (I would assume at least a significant portion of those in this thread), I don't think my situation is that unique.

I respect and appreciate your insight into the launch lineup for Switch. I don't think your situation is that unique, but I also believe that Switch will (hopefully) reach a different audience than the people here on Gaf.

killroy87

I don't know why, but the idea that we'll see a Xenoblade port in the first six months just strikes me as insane. I can't pinpoint why that rumor rubs me the wrong way and others don't but, for some reason I just find that super hard to believe.

Zedark

9 Days and we've already reached insanity.

We have reached insanity a long time ago.
Laura heard $250 for the Basic Bundle (32GB of internal storage) & $300 for the Deluxe Bundle (including Splatoon Switch & more internal storage).
To be precise, she heard 199 pounds and 249 pounds, and she made an (be it very likely) educated guess that it means $250 and $300. Will probably translate in that way, though.

I don't want to take away from your excitement - honest! Glad you're pumped. But for me, I've put my comments above. As a WiiU owner and a gamer in general (I would assume at least a significant portion of those in this thread), I don't think my situation is that unique.
I don't know why you were compelled to reply to my comment. I wasn't replying to you. I was expressing my own excitement.

I too owned a Wii U since launch. I'd much rather have those games portably. I really wish they would port the entire library over. I'd love TPHD, TW101, Bayonetta, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Fatal Frame V, Pokkén ports as well.

Shahadan

I don't know why, but the idea that we'll see a Xenoblade port in the first six months just strikes me as insane. I can't pinpoint why that rumor rubs me the wrong way and others don't but, for some reason I just find that super hard to believe.

Why? The following game is almost 100% assured to be a sequel, they kinda have to port X first.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Sorry - no, I don't own Tekken 7. I was thinking Street Fighter X Tekken.

I don't follow the fighting scene, but usually pick them up. I thought I grabbed this a while ago - guess not.

Mojoraisin

In regards to pricing I posted the following in another switch-thread. Not sure it means much though.

Media markt has the switch preorder listed for 4995 SEK in Sweden. I don't think Media Markt scalps too much for preorder or have they just set a placeholder price? They promoted it in an email. The SEK has dropped considerably in the last year, 1 dollar = 9.25 SEK. Regardless, that's an outrageous price here if remotely true. PS4 slim is selling for 2590 SEK and PS4 launched at 3890 SEK.

https://www.mediamarkt.se/sv/product/_nintendo-switch-1287259.html?ga_query=Switch

Neoxon

Sorry - no, I don't own Tekken 7. I was thinking Street Fighter X Tekken.

I don't follow the fighting scene, but usually pick them up. I thought I grabbed this a while ago - guess not.
Street Fighter x Tekken (which was made by Capcom, not Bandai Namco) has been dead for a while, despite Ver. 2013 being pretty damn solid. Capcom's efforts are now directed towards Street Fighter V & Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite as far as fighting games go.

Same here. I hope it's Fated Retribution, since I've been needing to try out Akuma in Tekken 7 for a while. I'll bring the pizza.

I believe Laura said that some games will support the old Wii controllers.

Oh Geez

Please dont limit it damnit

The new Pro is essentially the damn same as the old one

Malakai

Laura heard $250 for the Basic Bundle (32GB of internal storage) & $300 for the Deluxe Bundle (including Splatoon Switch & more internal storage).

Laura didn't hear anything about the USD prices. Laura hear 199 GBP(Great Britain Pounds) and 249 GBP. Again, she converted pounds to US without removing the VAT from the Pound price.

Pachimari

I have put €550 aside eventually. I sure may not be excited about the launch so far, but looking at the rumored first year, I'm definitely satisfied. I'll be getting Pokémon Stars, Super Mario Maker, Splatoon, Super Smash Bros for Switch, Mario Kart 8 alongside Mother 3 and Luigi's Mansion. Heck, Super Mario World may even be ready fo r VC since it's already on the other Nintendo platforms.

I can't wait to relive my childhood days by bringing the Switch to my sister's house and playing Super Mario Wold with her in two-player with each joy-con playing on the kickstand screen. And her two girls can even join in to experience Mario for the first time (if they haven't been playing Super Mario Run already).

Neoxon

Laura didn't hear anything about the USD prices. Laura hear 199 GBP(Great Britain Pounds) and 249 GBP. Again, she converted pounds to US without removing the VAT from the Pound price.
How much would the price change when you remove the VAT from the conversion? Given that it's probably gonna be region-free, you'd think that the price conversion would be more direct.

Where was this confirmed?
Mentioned by Laura, though her actual prices were in British Pounds.

Zelda and a new original 3D Mario will move systems. The reality is that the Wii U install base( of which I'm a member) is very small and the various ports aren't necessarily catered to us. They're dedicated to the countless millions who may have been interested in certain titles but didn't like the Wii U concept, or perhaps anticipated a fire sale pre Switch launch which hasn't come to fruition. Some of the titles are filler, and they're totally optional if you already own the Wii U version. Frankly the Switch concept in general,for me, is so much more palatable that I'm probably going to dump any Wii U game in favor of a Switch alternative. Then there are games like Xenoblade, Mario Maker, Splatoon that I never owned on the Wii U. Those are new titles to me as well as countless others with an interest in the system.

So, let's update this prediction list.

Launch: Zelda, Mario 3d, Splatoon bundled, Skyrim, NBA 2K, Fifa, Just Dance, Lego Works, indies

April: Some 1st party new IP on the cheaper side (maybe Mario Sports Superstar), Yooka-Laylee, Lego City Undercover, Tekken 7, indies

May: Mario Kart 8.5, South Park: The Fractured But Whole, Guardians of the Galaxy

June: Xenoblade XX, Rayman Legends

July: Pikmin 4

August: Super Mario Maker, Ever Oasis

September: Rabbids Kingdom Battle

October: SSB, Project Sonic

November: Pokemon Stars

Not sure about your predicted release dates, but damn if this isn't a really solid list of games.

Of course, this doesn't include a Pokken port, a Hyrule Warriors port, or a Sonic Mania port. Who really knows if we'll get any of these, but I really hope we do. I mean, HW and Pokken are pretty good games to throw in for December right before the Holidays to give people some games to play.

As for release dates, I think your predictions are pretty on point, or rather I hope they are because I want these games to come out, i.e. BotW, on the dates your specified, lol. It's for that reason that I hope Xenoblade and SSB switch places. Nintendo should be doing everything they can to bring Smash to the Switch if they want to competitive community to adopt the games and actually start playing, especially if they want it to be present at big tournaments like EVO.

Crazy the Switch will only have one new game for all of 2017 and that's 3D Mario. Everything else is ports or old third party games. I'm glad Nintendo revealed all the games to us so I now have the full picture of games for 2017.

I have over $300 in Game Stop credit and more in gift cards ready to go for this system. My biggest fear right now is that pre-orders will fly through quickly and that will be it until after March.

I will probably wait, but if it's like the NES Classic, that gives me time to second guess my purchase and ultimately loses the sale for Nintendo. I would have bought the NES classic on an implulse but the shortage made me realize I didn't need to spend $60 on games I can play elsewhere.

Anyone else on the fence that a shortage will change their minds?

Pachimari

Okay? You used a phrase that implied something completely different and I just called you out on it. Calm down.
I am calm, but you are really annoying. On my ignore list you go. You seem to take such small stuff so goddamn seriously. And no, I won't read your reply. You're already ignored.

---

Having just been in this thread for a little today, it seems pretty toxic. People can criticize the line-up, be disappointed and all that even though there's no official information. It is their right to have an opinion, and it is just as valid as anybody elses.

Do you have any insight into what the pricing may be relative to VAT vs U.S. sales tax? I tried my best to research that but I just couldn't wrap my head around VAT. I don't expect it at all, but a $199/$250 launch price in the U.S. would be absolutely insane to me and a decent amount of SwitchGaf. The other half of Gaf would say that it's still $50 too much.

Neoxon

Crazy the Switch will only have one new game for all of 2017 and that's 3D Mario. Everything else is ports or old third party games. I'm glad Nintendo revealed all the games to us so I now have the full picture of games for 2017.
There have been rumors of a new IP & Pikmin 4 as well as new projects from Retro & Monolith. But as mentioned earlier, I'm not sure if Monolith's project is gonna be ready for 2017. And concerning Retro, they've likely been working on their game for 3+ years, so one would hope that it's ready for this year.

Shiggy

There have been rumors of a new IP & Pikmin 4 as well as new projects from Retro & Monolith. But as mentioned earlier, I'm not sure if Monolith's project is gonna be ready for 2017. And concerning Retro, they've likely been working on their game for 3+ years, so one would hope that it's ready for this year.

You missed the sarcasm I think.

Nintenleo

Rayman Legends Switch will surely be focused around Amiibos. Remember the first trailer of the game? With that Ezio NFC crossover? I guess it will support new Nintendo characters and it will finally be the "definitive edition" of the game.

Rayman Legends Switch will surely be focused around Amiibos. Remember the first trailer of the game? With that Ezio NFC crossover? I guess it will support new Nintendo characters and it will finally be the "definitive edition" of the game.

Rayman Legends will become the new Rayman 2. Released on every new piece of hardware until the end of time.

fossi8

Do you have any insight into what the pricing may be relative to VAT vs U.S. sales tax? I tried my best to research that but I just couldn't wrap my head around VAT. I don't expect it at all, but a $199/$250 launch price in the U.S. would be absolutely insane to me and a decent amount of SwitchGaf. The other half of Gaf would say that it's still $50 too much.

As far as I know VAT is considered in the price, the opposite with sales tax.

Nudull

Banned
Part of me is weary about investing in a new Nintendo system after the Wii U, though now that I have a PS4, Xbox One and a working gaming PC, at least third party gaming isn't that much of an issue this time around. On the other hand, I'm afraid this is gonna be the Wii all over again with shortages everywhere you go, and it's very unlikely that I'd be able to save up enough to pre-order for a March launch.

Pachimari

I really hope we get a new IP (always exciting) and Pikmin 4 with different control schemes. I only played the first two levels or so of Pikmin 3. Retro I can't get my arms up about, but I certainly understand why a lot of people in here would. I just didn't like Metroid Prime at all, and while Donkey Kong was interesting I couldn't get much into it, probably cause the girlfriend at the time didn't wanna co-op. I would hope for either Retro being behind the new IP or maybe do a 2D Metroid like Metroid Fusion.

thefro

VAT is a 20% tax built into the retail price as opposed to the US where sales tax is added to the advertised/listed price at checkout. Sales tax in US varies by state. That's the main difference as far as consumer prices go (there's other areas where VAT gets charged that wouldn't be charged sales tax in the US, but that's not really relevant to this example).

So to calculate the price without VAT, we divide 199 pounds by 1.2, giving us 165.83 which is $203 US. 250 British pounds minus 20% VAT converts to $254 US dollars.

Yado

Which one of those is a subpar thirdparty game:

Skyrim, NBA 2K, Fifa, Just Dance, Lego Works, indies, Yooka-Laylee, Lego City Undercover, Tekken 7, indies, South Park: The Fractured But Whole, Guardians of the Galaxy, Rayman Legends, Ever Oasis,Rabbids Kingdom Battle, Project Sonic

Which one of those is a Wii U port:

Mario 3d,Skyrim, NBA 2K, Fifa, Just Dance, Lego Works, indies,Mario Sports Superstar, Yooka-Laylee, Tekken 7, indies, South Park: The Fractured But Whole, Guardians of the Galaxy, Pikmin 4, Ever Oasis, Rabbids Kingdom Battle, Project Sonic, Pokemon Stars

With the exception of the new Mario & Zelda games, Skyrim and Pokémon. I consider everything else there to be mediocre, that's just my opinion. There isn't really anything else there that screams "you NEED to get a switch to play this!" Where is the freshness? Where are the titles that appeal to a demographic beyond the one they already appeal to?

I'm just speaking for myself, all I see there are retreads, bland third party games and games I could play anywhere else. It's a very unexciting lineup.
MzIT37A.gif

Oersted

I have a WiiU. So far, every rumored Switch title that is either 1) not 3+ years old, or 2) not likely to be an obvious AA, small-budget title, is a game I already own or a sports title. The one exception is Mario, of course.

If you own a WiiU, there's not a lot to get hyped about outside Zelda (which you'll get anyway) and a new Mario. God forbid you also own a PS4 - then there's practically nothing new.

Being a gamer and WiiU owner makes you not interested in sports titles, AA games and smaller titles.

Okay.

How were new indies, Zelda, Ever Oasis, Rabbids Kingdom Battle, Project Sonic, Mario 3d, Mario Sports Superstar, Yooka-Laylee, Tekken 7, Pikmin 4 and Pokemon Stars on Wii U and PS4?

that's just my opinion.

Thanks for repeating your opinion.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
With the exception of the new Mario & Zelda games, Skyrim and Pokémon. I consider everything else there to be mediocre, that's just my opinion. There isn't really anything else there that screams "you NEED to get a switch to play this!" Where is the freshness? Where are the titles that appeal to a demographic beyond the one they already appeal to?

We are literally just getting bits and snippets of software. We also only have 9 days until the picture is revealed. This opinion seems incredibly premature at this point.

I'm just speaking for myself, all I see there are retreads, bland third party games and games I could play anywhere else. It's a very unexciting lineup.
MzIT37A.gif

What's the lineup? You mind sharing it with me please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom