• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

With the exception of the new Mario & Zelda games, Skyrim and Pokémon. I consider everything else there to be mediocre, that's just my opinion. There isn't really anything else there that screams "you NEED to get a switch to play this!" Where is the freshness? Where are the titles that appeal to a demographic beyond the one they already appeal to?

I'm just speaking for myself, all I see there are retreads, bland third party games and games I could play anywhere else. It's a very unexciting lineup.
MzIT37A.gif
Smash is mediocre? Splatoon is mediocre? Mario Kart is mediocre? Pikmin is mediocre? Xenoblade is mediocre? Tekken 7 is mediocre? Super Mario Maker is mediocre?

I could go on.

Smash is mediocre? Splatoon is mediocre? Mario Kart is mediocre? Pikmin is mediocre? Xenoblade is mediocre? Tekken 7 is mediocre? Super Mario Maker is mediocre?

I could go on.

Some people just blindly ride the hate train

Not sure why they post in here when there are easy alternatives everywhere in gaming?

MomoQca

There have been rumors of a new IP & Pikmin 4 as well as new projects from Retro & Monolith. But as mentioned earlier, I'm not sure if Monolith's project is gonna be ready for 2017. And concerning Retro, they've likely been working on their game for 3+ years, so one would hope that it's ready for this year.

I'm confident at least one of these projects will launch this year. Retro Studio's can come either this year or the following year. Really doubt Monolith Soft's project is coming this year as it's rumored to come in 2018 at the earliest. 2019 is a possibility. But it doesn't necessarily mean it won't show up at the event next week. I'm certain we'll see something.

sanstesy

I am calm, but you are really annoying. On my ignore list you go. You seem to take such small stuff so goddamn seriously. And no, I won't read your reply. You're already ignored.

---

Having just been in this thread for a little today, it seems pretty toxic. People can criticize the line-up, be disappointed and all that even though there's no official information. It is their right to have an opinion, and it is just as valid as anybody elses.

3o85fY22WWbY4jEF5S.gif

Zoon

With the exception of the new Mario & Zelda games, Skyrim and Pokémon. I consider everything else there to be mediocre, that's just my opinion. There isn't really anything else there that screams "you NEED to get a switch to play this!" Where is the freshness? Where are the titles that appeal to a demographic beyond the one they already appeal to?

I feel the same with the exception that I don't care about Mario at all. Here's hoping that the japanese devs will persuade me to buy it.

Oersted

Are you going to act like you didn't see a list of games in the quote I responded to?

Admit it, saying something along the lines of "With the exception of the new EPD(presumably) IP,the new Retro game, Mario & Zelda games, Skyrim and Pokémon" looks a bit silly.

You are excluding the biggest titles.

Pachimari

We are literally just getting bits and snippets of software. We also only have 9 days until the picture is revealed. This opinion seems incredibly premature at this point.

Can we please wait until we get official confirmation of the full lineup rather than complaining about rumors that are likely incomplete in the first place

This is what I don't get. Of course opinions are premature cause we know nothing, but that doesn't mean they can't express their current opinions and feelings on the rumors.

Yado

I could go on.

Wii U ports are what I would consider to be mediocre offerings, yes. Pikmin and Tekken both get resounding meh's from me. I'm sure they will be well made and that fans of them will love them. Not my thing.

I'm not saying these games are steaming piles of shit. Hopefully I'm in the minority and they're going to set the sales charts ablaze.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
This is what I don't get. Of course opinions are premature cause we know nothing, but that doesn't mean they can't express their current opinions and feelings on the rumors.

Because the OP seems to be acting as if this is the complete lineup.

VAT is a 20% tax built into the retail price as opposed to the US where sales tax is added to the advertised/listed price at checkout. Sales tax in US varies by state. That's the main difference as far as consumer prices go (there's other areas where VAT gets charged that wouldn't be charged sales tax in the US, but that's not really relevant to this example).

So to calculate the price without VAT, we divide 199 pounds by 1.2, giving us 165.83 which is $203 US. 250 British pounds minus 20% VAT converts to $254 US dollars.

Thanks for that! I had seen a suggestion or two that mentioned to calculation you just explained, but trying to research it myself was a bit confusing (I live in the U.S.). I guess we'll have to wait until the 12th, but I will be absolutely blown away if the Switch starts at anything less than $250 in the States. Come on Nintendo!

Oersted

Wii U ports are what I would consider to be mediocre offerings, yes. Pikmin and Tekken both get resounding meh's from me. I'm sure they will be well made and that fans of them will love them. Not my thing.

I'm not saying these games are steaming piles of shit. Hopefully I'm in the minority and they're going to set the sales charts ablaze.

This was how you stumbled into the conversation

Why would someone who owned a Wii U be hyped for Wii U ports and subpar third party games?

Now it boils down to "I don't like thing for some arbitrary reason"

Wii U ports are what I would consider to be mediocre offerings, yes.

Mediocre in what sense? The titles in general or just because they're 'meh' if you happen to own them? Because opinions and all, but Smash Bros, MK8, Splatoon and Mario Maker are hardly 'mediocre' titles on their own merits.

Yado

This was how you stumbled into the conversation

Now it boils down to "I don't like thing for some arbitrary reason"

My stance never changed. Wii U ports & unexciting third party games. I responded to a more detailed list and pointed out the games I'd actually play. We like what we like, it is what it is.

Mediocre in what sense? The titles in general or just because they're 'meh' if you happen to own them? Because opinions and all, but Smash Bros, MK8, Splatoon and Mario Maker are hardly 'mediocre' titles on their own merits.

I think those games are great. Ports of them on a new system? Not so much.

VAT is a 20% tax built into the retail price as opposed to the US where sales tax is added to the advertised/listed price at checkout. Sales tax in US varies by state. That's the main difference as far as consumer prices go (there's other areas where VAT gets charged that wouldn't be charged sales tax in the US, but that's not really relevant to this example).

So to calculate the price without VAT, we divide 199 pounds by 1.2, giving us 165.83 which is $203 US. 250 British pounds minus 20% VAT converts to $254 US dollars.

So wait. I remember the Daily Mirror guy saying that he heard £249/£299, and in my head I'm thinking DOA under the impression that that translated to $299/$349. But now that I am educated and know about VAT, does that actually translate closer to $249/$299?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

I think the point is that those are all great games - and were fantastic at release. Personally, I think Smash U is one of the best games of the last five years.

But it's underwhelming for them to be re-released years later for a brand new console release that is supposed to get the grand gaming juggernaut back in the ring. They'd be great "extras," but so far (RUMORS), it seems they make up the majority - or at least a major portion - of the AAA launch window.

Fanuilos

I don't think he's saying the games are mediocre, but rather using titles a year or two old to sell a new console is mediocre. Ironically, this is similar to the strategy Nintendo tried with the Wii U.

schuelma

I think the point is that those are all great games - and were fantastic at release. Personally, I think Smash U is one of the best games of the last five years.

But it's underwhelming for them to be re-released years later for a brand new console release that is supposed to get the grand gaming juggernaut back in the ring.

I also believe it depends somewhat on the extra content. Smash sounds like basically a port with all the DLC. Mario Kart and Splatoon sound more like 1.5 versions than ports.

Oersted

My stance never changed. Wii U ports & unexciting third party games. I responded to a more detailed list and pointed out the games I'd actually play. We like what we like, it is what it is.

You know there is a very obvious difference between not being excited for something for some reason, which is all fine, and making factual statements about their quality (subpar).

schuelma

I don't think he's saying the games are mediocre, but rather using titles a year or two old to sell a new console is mediocre. Ironically, this is similar to the strategy Nintendo tried with the Wii U.

All new system launches launch with a ton of ports.

If Nintendo has Zelda and 3D Mario out within 3-4 months of launch that would by default be a very strong launch.

The issue is that you can express your disinterest in a certain title without referring to it as being mediocre, since your final sentence does suggest you're aware of how varying tastes work. You can simply say you're not interested in what's been announced without the labels. I see titles in that list that don't interest me either, doesn't mean I need to refer to them as being 'mediocre' because it doesn't appeal to my own palette

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm definitely finding the rumored games so far underwhelming. But I also found the 3DS and Wii U libraries underwhelming.

So I probably just need to think long and hard about how much I need Switch/Nintendo in my life and how much is just Nostalgia from growing up a Nintendo Fanboy from NES through N64 (first half of that gen anyway).

Many of the games of theirs that people rave about just don't do it for me these days. I totally disinterested in the ports as Smash and MK8 didn't do anything for me, and I had my fill of Mario Maker and Splatoon.

Peru

But it's underwhelming for them to be re-released years later for a brand new console release that is supposed to get the grand gaming juggernaut back in the ring. They'd be great "extras," but so far (RUMORS), it seems they make up the majority - or at least a major portion - of the AAA launch window.

Why on earth is it underwhelming? What expectations does it underwhelm? That you as a Wii U player were the only one to have access? Are you angry that more people, a wider audience gets to try out these games and properties?

These ports are low-resource and high-reward efforts. They don't affect the amount of new games you get. There will be plenty of new games. We haven't had a leaked list that purports to be either a complete list of first or third party games for the Switch, launch, 2017, whatever.

Wii U ports bring games to a wider audience. The best Wii U games. And hurt no one. Does not take away resources from development. Surely a no-brainer for Nintendo and a great plus for those who don't own them.

Zedark

So wait. I remember the Mirror Daily guy saying that he heard £249/£299, and in my head I'm thinking DOA under the impression that that translated to $299/$349. But now that I am educated and know about VAT, does that actually translate closer to $249/$299?

Well, in the last couple of years pounds to dollars translations have gone in the following way: just add $50 or $40 to the number of pounds, and you have the dollar price (not exactly rocket science). Now with the lower value of the pound, there might be a change in that way of doing things, especially considering the Switch might have a low starting price (rumoured 199 pounds by Laura Kate Dale). The Daily Mirror guy said he heard 299 pounds and 349 pounds, but his source is from retail, and he himself said that the source doesn't have access to the direct information (so, in theory this guy could simply be reporting the place holder price for the Switch).

Take a look at this video (mark 50:12) to see how the PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro did the conversion of pounds, dollars and euros.

J@hranimo

Banned
I can't talk for others, but BotW and a 3D Mario wouldn't excite me. I'm no Nintendo fan though, I'm rather a fan of games in general. I haven't had the interest in completing any Zelda, the closest I came was Ocarina of Time 3D. And I couldn't get into Galaxy, Galaxy 2, 3D Land, 3D World or NSMBU, so based on this, my excitement is low.

That's not to say that other Nintendo franchises can entice me. I'm very much loving Animal Crossing, Wii Bowling, Pokémon and Splatoon.

I actually think I would buy a rerelease of Mario Kart 8 and Smash 4 too, as I didn't spend enough time on them when I had my Wii U.

Oh yeah it's not a problem (sorry if it came across that way) it's just compared to the Nintendo of old, they don't really have as wide a range of games covering some other genres. I guess that's a product of the industry in general though (less AA games).

Hopefully the Switch can bring that back with more games. Hearing that one Wave Race rumor a while back really piqued my interest for the software output for the console.

18-Volt

Most interesting lineup will come from Namco. They'll have the only racing game for the system (Ridge Racer), a Tales port/remake (I want Vesperia), God Eater 3 (remember, it's been announced without any platforms), some brand new Gundam launch game and some ports (Tekken 7, Ace Combat). They're currently my favorite publisher.

AdanVC

Laura needs stop with all this leaks. She literally spoiled all the presentation now : /.One could simply avoid this thread but when I opened GAF, first thing I saw was that BG&E2 thread... Oh well.

i will consider this event a disappointment if no gta v port is announced

don't fuck it up nintendo

image.php

oti

Banned
Laura needs stop with all this leaks. She literally spoiled all the presentation now : /.One could simply avoid this thread but when I opened GAF, first thing I saw was that BG&E2 thread... Oh well.

image.php

Even if everything leaks, we still have all the hands-on reports to look forward to. That's more important anyway.

Yado

The issue is that you can express your disinterest in a certain title without referring to it as being mediocre, since your final sentence does suggest you're aware of how varying tastes work. You can simply say you're not interested in what's been announced without the labels. I see titles in that list that don't interest me either, doesn't mean I need to refer to them as being 'mediocre' because it doesn't appeal to my own palette

If I wasn't interested I wouldn't be in here. I was just expressing how I viewed those titles and the rumoured line up. Mediocre is a very tame way of putting it.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
i will consider this event a disappointment if no gta v port is announced

don't fuck it up nintendo
I remember when I thought GTAV would come to Wii U.

Seriously, I did. Of all the PS3/360 ports to Wii U that one made the most sense for Nintendo to go after. At the time it seemed like Nintendo would want to make a statement that Wii U was going to be a home for third party multiplatform titles, and there was no title that would have made that statement clear than GTA V. But alas.

LordKano

Laura shouldn't stop with the leaks because a few people want to be surprised. We shouldn't give a fuck about PR, all we should care about is the information, and as quick as possible.

Oersted

I'm definitely finding the rumored games so far underwhelming. But I also found the 3DS and Wii U libraries underwhelming.

So I probably just need to think long and hard about how much I need Switch/Nintendo in my life and how much is just Nostalgia from growing up a Nintendo Fanboy from NES through N64 (first half of that gen anyway).

Many of the games of theirs that people rave about just don't do it for me these days. I totally disinterested in the ports as Smash and MK8 didn't do anything for me, and I had my fill of Mario Maker and Splatoon.

We all know you are trolling, but how were the new IP, the new Retro game, Splatoon, Skyrim, NBA 2K, Fifa, Just Dance, Lego Works, Mario Sports Superstar, Yooka-Laylee, Lego City Undercover, Tekken 7, indies, South Park: The Fractured But Whole, Guardians of the Galaxy, Xenoblade XX, Rayman Legends, Pikmin 4, Rabbids Kingdom Battle, Smash, Project Sonic and Pokemon Stars in the NES/N64 era?

And this is where until January 12th comes and passes, it's pretty premature to draw any real conclusions about the first year line-up.

That's what I took from his comments a few posts earlier. I interpreted 'mediocre titles' as a comment on the quality of the titles, not them being ported over. I'm not sure mediocre would be the correct term to apply in that case.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Why on earth is it underwhelming? What expectations does it underwhelm? That you as a Wii U player were the only one to have access? Are you angry that more people, a wider audience gets to try out these games and properties?

These ports are low-resource and high-reward efforts. They don't affect the amount of new games you get. There will be plenty of new games. We haven't had a leaked list that purports to be either a complete list of first or third party games for the Switch, launch, 2017, whatever.

Wii U ports bring games to a wider audience. The best Wii U games. And hurt no one. Does not take away resources from development. Surely a no-brainer for Nintendo and a great plus for those who don't own them.

And that's why, earlier, I've mentioned these are rumors many times. As of now, this is our launch list. And if it were to stay the same, it's - to me - underwhelming.

Not once did I imply I have an issue spreading these games to a wider audience. I think that's great! But you think we'll see other big release in the first six months; and I'm not as confident. Simple as that.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Laura shouldn't stop with the leaks because a few people want to be surprised. We shouldn't give a fuck about PR, all we should care about is the information, and as quick as possible.

This. I never watch conferences etc. anyway. I just want the info. I don't really care if it's before or after though. All the same to me.

I genuinely wonder if the people saying this launch lineup is "underwhelming" bought either Xbox One or PS4 at launch. Both consoles had a launch lineup that consisted primarily of third party games that were also available on PS3/Xbox 360. The Switch will have a similar launch situation but with first-party games! Games that you cannot play on platforms that weren't made by Nintendo! On top of that, many of the "ports" are supposed to have added content!

There's just something about Nintendo that will never impress certain people, and that's ok. I just wish they'd stop attempting to drag everyone else down with them.

Zedark

I don't agree. I get so mad when the news app on my phone spoils the news broadcast I was about to watch. This is no different.

If I wasn't interested I wouldn't be in here. I was just expressing how I viewed those titles and the rumoured line up. Mediocre is a very tame way of putting it.

It's the incorrect way of putting it in my opinion, if the issue isn't one of quality. The announcements may be 'meh' if you own such titles on Wii U already, all 12 million of us, but maybe not to the potentially huge install base who didn't sniff those titles. If you include the 3ds and Wii U owners in one basket as potential Switch customers, asides from the relative small cross section of duel 3ds/Wii U owners, the majority of that potential customer base hasn't played Splatoon, Mario Maker, or Xenoblade. How about those who haven't owned a Nintendo console in a few generations. Why would this be 'mediocre' to them if they're interested in the Switch and never played those titles before?

J@hranimo

Banned

This is me tbh. We've already had a longer-than-usual console speculation cycle. Give me the details by any meansssss.

PSFan

Lol why would anyone be interested in a three year old port of a ps360 game?
Am I doing this right?

You mean a game that's already sold in the tens of millions across several platforms? I can't imagine it would sell that well on the Switch, since so many have played it already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom