• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The more I think about it, the more I think the Presentation will be in Japanese.

Western press isn't going to Japan, after all, there's Press Events all over the world for that.

The more I think about it, the more I think the Presentation will be in Japanese.

Western press isn't going to Japan, after all, there's Press Events all over the world for that.

I think it will for sure have at least english translators. The presentation was presented by all nintendo branches, from japan to america. Reggie also made note of the event on fallon.

Preble

So I got an invite from Nintendo to the Switch Preview Tour, but apparently tickets have already sold out.

Anything I can do to get in still?

The new Shield is 199$ and available at the end of January...

Nintendo... don't overprice the Switch.

It doesn't matter how overpriced the Switch is, it will outsell the entire Shield lineup, past, present, and future, easily.

Of course, I still don't want them to overprice it!

BY2K

Membero Americo
It doesn't matter how overpriced the Switch is, it will outsell the entire Shield lineup, past, present, and future, easily.

Of course, I still don't want them to overprice it!

If the Switch is based on Shield tech (Tegra), people are gonna see it as a threshold for the Switch's price.

If the Switch is based on Shield tech (Tegra), people are gonna see it as a threshold for the Switch's price.

A very small subset of forum dwellers, yes.

I'm not saying Switch should be $300 (I've been team $199 for months!), but in reality, Shield's price will have little to no effect on the perceived value of the console.

Shiggy

Any chance the unreleased Wii game, rock and roll mountain climbing coming to Switch?
I know better, but had to ask.

I played it. It was fun but the controls were a bit hit and miss. Playing with the Wii Fit Board was overly difficult though.

It's still available, go try it.

Should note that there's no new Tegra in that Shield...

yea, it doesn't have a new tegra, but apparently, someone said in the nVidia thread Pascal is used. So, no new Tegra but it uses Pascal GPU. Perhaps, NateDrake was right about Switch using Pascal considering the Shield TV situation.

On price, Switch has a touch screen, the circuitry for the controllers, and a few other things Shield TV doesn't have to worry about.

Vena

yea, it doesn't have a new tegra, but apparently, someone said in the nVidia thread Pascal is used. So, no new Tegra but it uses Pascal GPU. Perhaps, NateDrake was right about Switch using Pascal considering the Shield TV situation.

On price, Switch has a touch screen, the circuitry for the controllers, and a few other things Shield TV doesn't have to worry about.

Ya it seems they can't/didn't do anything with the X1 other than shift the GPU, the spec sheet makes this seem like a repackaged Shield but now with a Pascal GPU. Though I am a little unsure if the Pascal part is even legit.

Curiously, this lines up with some of Eurogamer's notes on potential Pascal features in the Switch's GPU, and I wonder if it isn't the exact same thing.

Seems like a poor showing to release this before Switch at that price, but whatever.
Don't think any consumer would go "hmm...The NVIDIA Shielf TV is $50 cheaper than the Switch so it's a better value", tho. Lol

AdanVC

I'm starting to think the upcoming presentation on jan 12th it's going to be just a boring Japanese press conference like presentation. Very monotone almost like those earning briefing Nintendo has every 3 or 4 months. They will end the presentation with: "Look forward for the Nintendo Direct sometime in february showing the launch lineup for the console, among game trailers and more juicy info. With the subsequent GAF meltdown and tons of "Nintendo is doomed for real this time" threads.

Vena

Where's the confirmation of no new Tegra in the new Shield?

No mention on reveal, and, actually, it seems to not even/may not even have been upgraded in any way aside from changes in connectivity protocols. I think its potentially entirely repackaged old Shield being re-released to coincide with the Spy.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I'm starting to think the upcoming presentation on jan 12th it's going to be just a boring Japanese press conference like presentation. Very monotone almost like those earning briefing Nintendo has every 3 or 4 months. They will end the presentation with: "Look forward for the Nintendo Direct sometime in february showing the launch lineup for the console, among game trailers and more juicy info. With the subsequent GAF meltdown and tons of "Nintendo is doomed for real this time" threads.
Wouldn't be surprised if that happened.

thefro

The Volta SoC they announced for car AI is probably what Switch 2 will based off of in a few years.

30 watt power draw, 512 Volta CUDA cores. 30 DL TOPs

I'm starting to think the upcoming presentation on jan 12th it's going to be just a boring Japanese press conference like presentation. Very monotone almost like those earning briefing Nintendo has every 3 or 4 months. They will end the presentation with "Look forward for the Nintendo Direct sometime in february showing the launch lineup for the console, among game trailers and more juicy info. With the subsequent GAF meltdown and tons of "Nintendo is doomed for real this time" threads.
You were hyped about the presentation. Que paso?

You took a look at that Switch presentation thread, didn't you? Naw. I'm sure Nintendo will show some great things worth talking about.

VariantX

The new Shield is 199$ and available at the end of January...

Nintendo... don't overprice the Switch.

The shield doesn't have a touch screen, nfc, or any of the things the switch will have. This would be a worry if both of them were stationary boxes.

Why are people assuming this? They already said that we will look at the price, launch lineup, release date. They promoted the event on every single branch and again, reggie promoted the event on fallon. I really think it will be a fun presentation, it's not because it's in japan that it has to be serious.

Malakai

Nintendo wouldn't be renting out the one of the largest conference spaces in Japan if that was the case.

NateDrake

Software is playable for three days following the presentation to media and the public. Not showing the launch lineup at the presentation would make no sense.

Why?

Shahadan

I'm starting to think the upcoming presentation on jan 12th it's going to be just a boring Japanese press conference like presentation. Very monotone almost like those earning briefing Nintendo has every 3 or 4 months. T. With the subsequent GAF meltdown and tons of "Nintendo is doomed for real this time" threads.

Well I 100% expect this. No really other way around it
Japanese press events are even worse than ours and we'll see supposedly inexperienced people on stage (Kimishima probably). Doing that is probably a mistake but Iwata is not here anymore.
Maybe they just don't care because of the hour this will air in other parts of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom