• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

antonz

The "new" Shield TV is nothing more than a repackaged Gen 1 Shield TV. It has a new OS and some additional apps but that's basically it. No new Hardware or anything of the sort

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
They won't mention resolutions at all except to say things like "With it's True HD output.."

HD is so 2010 though. They will be missing on a lot of great key words. It should support HDR though, so that might save some marketing jobs.

Doctre81

Where's the confirmation of no new Tegra in the new Shield?

There is isn't. It's the same one as the current shield.

giphy.gif

EDarkness

The "new" Shield TV is nothing more than a repackaged Gen 1 Shield TV. It has a new OS and some additional apps but that's basically it. No new Hardware or anything of the sort

You know, I wonder if Nintendo and Nvidia are going to allow something like Nvidia Now to work on the NS...?

tebunker

Banned
HD is so 2010 though. They will be missing on a lot of great key words. It should support HDR though, so that might save some marketing jobs.

Hdr would be fine, but the real thing here is that this could possibly point again at the $199/$249 price points. Which is good. Even Shielf Tablets aren't craxy expensive.

I really do feel that if switch is $249 with a pack in game it will be a good price point. They don't have to beat the price of other hardware just be in line.

AdropOFvenom

Neo Member
So how will Nintendo play this from a marketing point of view? And price.

At $199 you have the all new 4k HDR Nvidia Shield TV.
At $249 there is the 4k HDR Xbox One S.

So what price will it have the all new 1080p/720p HDR(?) Switch?

Xbox One S doesn't play games in 4K, or anything remotely close, that's just Blu Ray/Netflix, etc. Shield TV may or may not have claimed that, but simply doesn't have the horsepower to do that in any remotely taxing game (Remember, it's most likely based off the same base Tegra chip that's in the Switch). It might support it on 16 bit type of graphics natively, but that's about it. Well, maybe it'd work in their streaming service ($25 for 20 hours!).

Also, have we even ruled out the Nintendo Switch supporting 4K Netflix? Nobody has mentioned anything of the sort, but im pretty sure the hardware is capable of that (Since well, the Shield is). If Nintendo cared I'm sure they could throw around the 4K and HDR buzzwords themselves.

oti

Banned
If the X2 isn't in Nvidia's own TV based console it's hardly surprising it isn't in a handheld. Guess it isn't ready for that kind of use yet.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think I should have made also "marketing" bold in my previous post. I made a huge mistake.

No but if the new shield had better specs than switch they would have waited to release it after switch for sure.

It's CES. Things get announced. Just that Nvidia decided to make a Shield TV Slim instead of a new one.

If the X2 isn't in Nvidia's own TV based console it's hardly surprising it isn't in a handheld. Guess it isn't ready for that kind of use yet.

Yep. It's just not ready yet. I wouldn't be surprised if the typical Nintendo refresh for handhelds means whatever the X1 successor is will be inside Switch+ along with a die shrink of the existing one for a micro portable only version of the Switch.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Yeah, this was my reaction too. Parker might be just a stopgap after all. Cars already moved to Volta.

antonz

Parker arrived later than originally planned and as designed really is very much aimed at automotive. Its basically a stopgap to Xavier where they will take all the power of PX2 and put it into a single chip

Oersted

So how will Nintendo play this from a marketing point of view? And price.

At $199 you have the all new 4k HDR Nvidia Shield TV.
At $249 there is the 4k HDR Xbox One S.

So what price will it have the all new 1080p/720p HDR(?) Switch?

Ever wondered if you are a forum dweller like us?

Shield is irrelevant, One S as a cheap gaming machine is, but even more so smartphones, given this is the audience tries to win over(Pokemon Go, Mario Run).

So yeah, the pricing should be based on "Is this a impulse buy?"

They did do that well with Nes Mini.

Sorry to go off topic here but this is a pretty active Nintendo thread and I didn't want to start a new thread for this.

That said I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this but is there any way to retrieve your digital games off of a Wii U that you no longer have anymore?

I had my Wii U plugged into an ac/dc 12V converter in a U-haul truck to play some Shovel Knight and Super Metroid on my gamepad while taking a break from helping my nephew move into his new apartment. At some point after getting back to work within what had to be no more then a 10 minute period it was left unattended, someone snatched it out of the truck.

I'm almost positive I know the answer but just thought I would ask incase anyone had suggestions or other methods of salvaging something out of a similar shitty situation.

It's not even the console that makes me the most angry. I mean yes I'm mad it's gone but it's the games not being able to be recovered that really pisses me off. I only had a few full 60$ titles on there digitally like Mario 3d World, Wind Waker and Mario Kart 8 but I had a bunch of VC games like all the early Zeldas and Mario games, Mario 64, Super Metroid, Super Mario RPG, Multiple Kirby games, Punch Out & Super Punch Out indies like Shantae & Pirates Curse, Shovel Knight and even a game or 2 I got on the super cheap digitally like DarkSiders 2 from Humble Bundle and more.

I can see myself replacing my Wii U at some point but buying all those games again is something that will probably never happen even though I would like to. I don't have the money to do it. With new games always being released that I would rather spend my disposable income on over buying games that I have already bought multiple times before that were stolen.

Idk, like I said sorry for going off topic but it's an active thread with I'm sure a lot of Nintendo fans in here that are a lot more knowledge than myself. Just throwing a Hail Mary out there incase there's somehow a way I can make this situation suck a little less. It's my own fault anyway, I know better than to leave things unattended like that.

Jerm411

Nintendo Switch |OT| Official Fallon Seal of Quality
Nintendo Switch |OT| Switcharoo!
Nintendo Switch |OT| Joy-Cons...Joy-Cons Everywhere!!

So what indie games past, present, or future do you guys think we'll see announced next Thursday at the presentation?

Man Nintendo has traumatized some of you people lol. Relax. You'll get the full blowout on the 12th. Specs, prices, launch date, launch games, bundles and upcoming software.

I think specs outside of RAM, storage amount, and maybe clockspeed won't be revealed. At least we shouldn't expect it, since Nintendo hasn't revealed specs that detailed since the gamecube came out.

Brofield

Sorry to go off topic here but this is a pretty active Nintendo thread and I didn't want to start a new thread for this.

That said I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this but is there any way to retrieve your digital games off of a Wii U that you no longer have anymore?

I had my Wii U plugged into an ac/dc 12V converter in a U-haul truck to play some Shovel Knight and Super Metroid on my gamepad while taking a break from helping my nephew move into his new apartment. At some point after getting back to work within what had to be no more then a 10 minute period it was left unattended, someone snatched it out of the truck.

I'm almost positive I know the answer but just thought I would ask incase anyone had suggestions or other methods of salvaging something out of a similar shitty situation.

It's not even the console that makes me the most angry. I mean yes I'm mad it's gone but it's the games not being able to be recovered is what really pisses me off. I only had a few full 60$ titles on there digitally like Mario 3d World, Wind Waker and Mario Kart 8 but I had a bunch of VC games like all the early Zeldas and Mario games, Mario 64, Super Metroid, Super Mario RPG, Multiple Kirby games, Punch Out & Super Punch Out indies like Shantae & Pirates Curse, Shovel Knight and even a game or 2 I got on the super cheap digitally like DarkSiders 2 from Humble Bundle and more.

I can see myself replacing my Wii U at some point but buying all those games again is something that will probably never happen even though I would like to. I don't have the money to do it. With new games always being released that I would rather spend my disposable income on over buying games that I have already bought multiple times before that were stolen.

Idk, like I said sorry for going off topic but it's an active thread with I'm sure a lot of Nintendo fans in here that a lot more knowledge than myself. Just throwing a Hail Mary out there incase there's somehow a way I can make this situation suck a little less. It's my own fault anyway, I know better than to leave things unattended like that.

Call Nintendo's customer support, do you at all by chance still have the Wii U's serial number? Not sure if it's required, but I think they can assist in getting your games back

Gleethor

It's not even the console that makes me the most angry. I mean yes I'm mad it's gone but it's the games not being able to be recovered is what really pisses me off. I only had a few full 60$ titles on there digitally like Mario 3d World, Wind Waker and Mario Kart 8 but I had a bunch of VC games like all the early Zeldas and Mario games, Mario 64, Super Metroid, Super Mario RPG, Multiple Kirby games, Punch Out & Super Punch Out indies like Shantae & Pirates Curse, Shovel Knight and even a game or 2 I got on the super cheap digitally like DarkSiders 2 from Humble Bundle and more.

Idk, like I said sorry for going off topic but it's an active thread with I'm sure a lot of Nintendo fans in here that a lot more knowledge than myself. Just throwing a Hail Mary out there incase there's somehow a way I can make this situation suck a little less. It's my own fault anyway, I know better than to leave things unattended like that.
When my Wii U was stolen, I bought a new one, called Nintendo and gave them the serial number for both. Within about 24 hours I had all of my games back.

Hopefully you took down the serial number at some point

EDarkness

Yeah, this was my reaction too. Parker might be just a stopgap after all. Cars already moved to Volta.

Makes me curious about what kind of customization they decided to go with if that's the case. Maybe they wanted to go Pascal, but figure it wasn't ready and opted for their own custom solution instead. If that's the case, then there could be anything in there.

Wii (Mini) was $150 dollars when 3DS was first launched and more powerful than 3DS. Switch and Shield are completely different products, Switch has much more packed in a single box.

Watch whatever is left of Wii U stock in March still be priced at $300, while Switch is $250-300.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Makes me curious about what kind of customization they decided to go with if that's the case. Maybe they wanted to go Pascal, but figure it wasn't ready and opted for their own custom solution instead. If that's the case, then there could be anything in there.

I hope the memory bus is on the list of customisations.

EDarkness

I hope the memory bus is on the list of customisations.

Considering Nintendo's past designs, I would imagine that would be something they'd adjust. Of course, they have a habit of going against conventional thinking, so maybe past history doesn't mean much in this case.

Call Nintendo's customer support, do you at all by chance still have the Wii U's serial number? Not sure if it's required, but I think they can assist in getting your games back

Do you have any idea if the serial number is located on the box? I'm positive I still have it in the attic. Also I think I did register it with them if that was how before they changed the whole club thing you used to earn those gold coins to use to buy prizes every month or so. That's where I bought a lot of those VC games that I had so if that was registering the console with them then I definitely did.

Should I call them right away or should I wait until I have a new Wii U since I wont have anything for them to restore the games on? I don't know when I'll have the extra cash to buy a new one especially with all these games I plan on buying about to be released along with the Switch in the coming weeks and months.

Thanks to everyone for the help I see already. The quick responses to help someone out in a shitty situation is one of the reasons why GAF is such an awesome community.

When my Wii U was stolen, I bought a new one, called Nintendo and gave them the serial number for both. Within about 24 hours I had all of my games back.

Hopefully you took down the serial number at some point

Thanks man that's what I was hoping to hear and didn't think there was really a chance it could be done. That will be so nice if it works out that way when I do get a new one.

Gleethor

Do you have any idea if the serial number is located on the box? I'm positive I still have it in the attic. Also I think I did register it with them if that was how before they changed the whole club thing you used to earn those gold coins to use to buy prizes every month or so. That's where I bought a lot of those VC games that I had so if that was registering the console with them then I definitely did.

Should I call them right away or should I wait until I have a new Wii U since I wont have anything for them to restore the games on? I don't know when I'll have the extra cash to buy a new one especially with all these games I plan on buying about to be released along with the Switch in the coming weeks and months.

Thanks to everyone for the help I see already. The quick responses to help someone out in a shitty situation is one of the reasons why GAF is such an awesome community.
Ymmv, but I got my new Wii U about 6 months after my old one was stolen and didn't call them until I had the new one, still got my games back.

It's bad that I'm getting nervous? I keep thinking how close we are. It's been almost 2 YEARS since it was announced. I'm not even part the presentation and I'm getting nervous just thinking about how far we've come.

Ymmv, but I got my new Wii U about 6 months after my old one was stolen and didn't call them until I had the new one, still got my games back.

Awesome, thanks a lot. Just made me feel much better about the whole ordeal and greatly improved the rest of my night. :)

Brofield

Right at the bottom of the box; I'm looking at my Premium Wii U launch day box and it's here in the corner, not hard to miss at all. Glad to help! God knows I'm lucky having never gone through with it

J@hranimo

Banned
It's bad that I'm getting nervous? I keep thinking how close we are. It's been almost 2 YEARS since it was announced. I'm not even part the presentation and I'm getting nervous just thinking about how far we've come.

It hasn't hit me yet, but I feel like next Monday or Tuesday it will.

Right at the bottom of the box; I'm looking at my Premium Wii U launch day box and it's here in the corner, not hard to miss at all. Glad to help! God knows I'm lucky having never gone through with it

Great, sounds like I should be in good shape then because I'm positive I have the box up there, I always keep boxes. That along with if the gold coins you used to earn in Club Nintendo or whatever it used to be called means I registered it, then I'm positive it's registered as well. Thanks again, it really does make me feel much better I can salvage something out of this. :)

TLZ

Banned
He teased it as being as something beyond what it was (which was nothing)

Now I know where Stumpkapow is coming from with posts like these

I always complained about insider's vagueness but people like it. People just want insiders, regardless legit or not.

Anyway, we're only a week away so that's really close now. We're better off waiting a little bit for facts and ignore all vague insiders.

EDarkness

nah Obe1 is milking it to the bank

That guy...ugh. Annoying. Well, the event is next week so best to hold what you have to the chest until then. I mean, with the event so close, why not just wait a week and let folks be surprised?

I have to admit I'm looking forward to the Beyond Good & Evil 2 trailer. Even if it's just CGI, that's fine. That's my most anticipated game so far, so I hope LKD is right.

Here's something I've been thinking about:

Is it possible that the Swich will be able to do Wii U emulation by driving the tablet interface on the undocked Switch and the TV display streamed to the television?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom