• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vena

Ah, you mean Xavier ?

Because the Pascal based Tegra was already presented twice last year.

Only for cars (which this conference also had a big focus on), and there was no reference to the Drive PX being even tangentially related to this Shield or any new/updated X1 or P1 (the latter does not currently exist under any designation). It really looks like its the same thing, for the same price, with a new controller.

Twitch streaming on the go has the possibility to be hilarious, awesome, scary and amazing D:

do it Nintendo, put streaming in the system

I don't see anyone, certainly not mainstream consumers, to base the Switch's value on the nVidia Shield lol.

the average consumer : Idontknowher.gif
don't think I've seen a nVidia shield in store at target or gamestop, think I saw it at best buy once but it was placed in the PC section

Nintendo shouldn't be shook at that.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If the new Shield TV doesn't have a Pascal Tegra then at least there might be some good reason for Nintendo to still use Maxwell in Switch. Maybe Pascal Tegra is really not ready for this kind of use.

I'm starting to think the upcoming presentation on jan 12th it's going to be just a boring Japanese press conference like presentation. Very monotone almost like those earning briefing Nintendo has every 3 or 4 months. They will end the presentation with: "Look forward for the Nintendo Direct sometime in february showing the launch lineup for the console, among game trailers and more juicy info. With the subsequent GAF meltdown and tons of "Nintendo is doomed for real this time" threads.
Dumbest thing I've read it in a while, surprised it was from you.
It might be "dry" but games will be shown and that will be exciting regardless of the format.

random25

Seems like a poor showing to release this before Switch at that price, but whatever.
Don't think any consumer would go "hmm...The NVIDIA Shielf TV is $50 cheaper than the Switch so it's a better value", tho. Lol

Well, there's more to a gaming console than just processing power.

I'm starting to think the upcoming presentation on jan 12th it's going to be just a boring Japanese press conference like presentation. Very monotone almost like those earning briefing Nintendo has every 3 or 4 months. They will end the presentation with: "Look forward for the Nintendo Direct sometime in february showing the launch lineup for the console, among game trailers and more juicy info. With the subsequent GAF meltdown and tons of "Nintendo is doomed for real this time" threads.

Nintendo won't promote the event if it will just look like an earnings briefing lol.

the predictions for like 10+ Gamecube VC games on launch are crazy lol

It will most likely be 1-4 max and that includes third parties.
Nintendo will space out VC like wii and wii u

luigis mansion VC day 1 will be hype though B^)

BY2K

Membero Americo
$199 for a 4K HDR gaming device?

The Shield doesn't render games per say.

It can use GeForce Now to play Steam AAA games on your TV, or stream your desktop PC games using the Shield or play Android Games.

The 4K HRD is purely for video streaming.

Banned
Man Nintendo has traumatized some of you people lol. Relax. You'll get the full blowout on the 12th. Specs, prices, launch date, launch games, bundles and upcoming software.

Doctre81

"guys there is an audi driving around YOUR cars in the parking lot Right now unmanned"

LOL I would go check on my car right then.

atbigelow

The Shield doesn't render games per say.

It can use GeForce Now to play Steam AAA games on your TV, or stream your desktop PC games using the Shield or play Android Games.

The 4K HRD is purely for video streaming.

It can definitely render games. It's Android TV, which has plenty of native games available for it. Some of those will definitely be rendering in 4K. But uh, they're obviously not going to be rendering games equivalent to The Last Guardian.

The more I think about it, the more I think the Presentation will be in Japanese.

Western press isn't going to Japan, after all, there's Press Events all over the world for that.
They'll probably have a English Nintendo Direct at the same time I hope.

Or else they do something like confirm Splatoon 2 at launch but it actually comes out in May in the west ruining dreams. D:

AdropOFvenom

Neo Member
The new Shield is 199$ and available at the end of January...

Nintendo... don't overprice the Switch.

Also, this comparison is bad, the Shield doesn't have a touchscreen, battery, motion controls, NFC, etc, there's a lot of extra stuff the Switch needs that isn't free. They're two completely different products.

Preble

Still mad about missing out on the Switch Preview Tour. I mean most would assume that the invite would guarantee you a chance to try the system out, right? Not that you had to go rush for tickets.

Speely

Banned
Also, this comparison is bad, the Shield doesn't have a touchscreen, battery, motion controls, NFC, etc, there's a lot of extra stuff the Switch needs that isn't free. They're two completely different products.

You're right, but there will be a LOT of this, as if only a couple of numerical values matter and everything else can be tossed aside for the sake of comparison.

This will be the cross to bear for a hybrid console, actually. Strap in.

Josh5890

the predictions for like 10+ Gamecube VC games on launch are crazy lol

It will most likely be 1-4 max and that includes third parties.
Nintendo will space out VC like wii and wii u

luigis mansion VC day 1 will be hype though B^)

I honestly think I'm the only fool left who believes that Nintendo will do the VC right this time as far as most of the library being available early, pricing, and game transfers are concerned. They could make sooooooo much money off of me on just the VC.

18-Volt

The new Shield is 199$ and available at the end of January...

Nintendo... don't overprice the Switch.

Wii (Mini) was $150 dollars when 3DS was first launched and more powerful than 3DS. Switch and Shield are completely different products, Switch has much more packed in a single box.

D_prOdigy

I'm making like Jordan Schlansky and preparing my body in various ways for this.

The hybrid concept suits me right down to the ground given that I don't have a TV at the moment and may/may not get one on the future.

And being currently based in neither Europe, NA, nor Japan, whispers of region-free would be absolutely perfect.

Switch is already perfect for me - I'm just excited to see whether there'll be a nice slew of games that will push me to get one at launch.

Josh5890

Wii (Mini) was $150 dollars when 3DS was first launched and more powerful than 3DS. Switch and Shield are completely different products, Switch has much more packed in a single box.

B..But they can both play Netflix so the Switch and Shield are automatically comparable.

Everyday these posts get scarier and scarier. By next week someone is going to be comparing the Switch to an easy bake oven.

I'm making like Jordan Schlansky and preparing my body in various ways for this.

The hybrid concept suits me right down to the ground given that I don't have a TV at the moment and may/may not get one on the future.

And being currently based in neither Europe, NA, nor Japan, whispers of region-free would be absolutely perfect.

Switch is already perfect for me - I'm just excited to see whether there'll be a nice slew of games that will push me to get one at launch.
Like the Wii U, I will mostly game on the small screen with the Switch.
I just like playing games while laying in bed.

Brofield

Nintendo Switch |OT| I have a Vita, I have a Wii U...ugh! Nintendo Switch!
7c3.jpg

On another note, looking to apps that aren't game related, what do you expect besides Netflix and a web browser? A return to Google Earth or those touristy videos like the Wii U got? Is it even too much to hope that Netflix will bring offline download to the Switch like they have with Android and iOS?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So how will Nintendo play this from a marketing point of view? And price.

At $199 you have the all new 4k HDR Nvidia Shield TV.
At $249 there is the 4k HDR Xbox One S.

So what price will it have the all new 1080p/720p HDR(?) Switch?

AdanVC

Hahah :( Don't hate me, guys! My pessimistic side trolling in myself more than usual today! I guess what I said was indeed exaggerated and dumb because Nintendo wouldn't be promoting the hell out of this presentation if it was going to be just a boring/monotone conference. Even Reggie mention it with Jimmy Fallon and Nintendo Japan is announcing the event on train stations, plus the game previews for the press like NateDrake mentioned, totally forgot about those, so yeah, it seems dis is gun' be big!

Does the general public care that much about 4k?

sanstesy

Get real now, you're forcing this narrative to a comedy level.

Eliseo

I don't think the general public even knows about the shield tv.

atbigelow

how many of those have their own screens

Hahah :( Don't hate me, guys! My pessimistic side trolling in myself more than usual today! I guess what I said was indeed exaggerated and dumb because Nintendo wouldn't be promoting the hell out of this presentation if it was going to be just a boring/monotone conference. Even Reggie mention it with Jimmy Fallon and Nintendo Japan is announcing the event on train stations, plus the game previews for the press like NateDrake mentioned, totally forgot about those, so yeah, it seems dis is gun' be big!
It's ok, dude.
Personally, I enjoyed your MuchoMalo impersonation.

Hieberrr

Man, I'm so tempted to get a PS4 for games like Kingdom Hearts. It's a long ahit, but here's hoping KH3 gets announced for the Switch.

4K is for blu ray on Xbox One S. Also pretty sure the MSRP for the thing is $300 unless I missed a price drop.
No one cares about the Android TV and it lacking portability makes it different products

AzaK

They won't mention resolutions at all except to say things like "With it's True HD output.."

I just found out about the Shield now and I play lots of games. I doubt the casual audience know what the fuck it is or its existence.

Also most people rarely care for 4K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom