• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing was wrong. The price went down super fast though, which lead people to feel like they were burned. Due to that, they had the ambassador program stuff.

Ah. I remember now. Personally, the price cut didn't bother me. If I insist on buying Day 1, it's completely on me should the product be sold cheaper later down the line.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
If you don't mind me asking; what was wrong with 3DS at launch? I've had mine since Day 1, and the only issue I've had was a bulging battery. One quick replacement and I've had no more problems!

They dropped price by $70 after a few months, leaving some feeling burned.

They did that Ambassador program with the 30(?) free VC games to try and make up for it, but that was useless to people who don't care about playing old games/had them elsewhere already.

Ah. I remember now. Personally, the price cut didn't bother me. If I insist on buying Day 1, it's completely on me should the product be sold cheaper later down the line.

True. Some were just miffed as it was so soon when most console/handheld official price drops are a year or two down the line from launch rather than a few months.

But you're right that it's always on early adopters. Anytime you early adopt you're paying the most the product will ever cost for the worst version it will ever have just to be there from day one.

Will the Wii U Pro controller work with the Switch?

What if it's actually Spla2oon?

Yeah, I kind of doubt it will since they'll want to sell the new one. Would be nice if I'm wrong on that though. Could be an issue if the joycons/new pro controller have analog triggers that are used in games too I suppose since the Wii U has digital shoulder buttons.

The joycons on grip looks a bit awkward to me, and lacks a dpad. Having to buy a pro controller ups the entry price for me and doesn't help me get off the fence.

I didn't know you could preorder consoles at a retailer. What happens to people like me who wait for a midnight launch? Do they reserve some systems for midnight launch?

EVH

Four days off and see the thread got like 70 pages more. Can somebody tell the last news? I hope we got rumors on DOOM and Metroid Prime for Switch.

I didn't know you could preorder consoles at a retailer. What happens to people like me who wait for a midnight launch? Do they reserve some systems for midnight launch?

It honestly depends on how many units they'll get. I think most stores will always save a few units for people who didn't pre-order, but it's all based on what Nintendo will ship them. Basically, it's worth a pre-order if you know for sure you'll want to buy on day one.

Considering the supply chain issues Nintendo seems to have you might be waiting 6+ months for one.

Well, I sure hope not! But PC is my primary platform, and I'm in no danger of finishing my massive Steam backlog anytime soon. I'll live.

Same. I got fucked over by buying a 3DS at launch.

Never again.

Yup, Same here.

Even worse, my launch 3DS was stolen, so I couldn't even get the Ambassador GBA games when they became available.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
But you already can do that with the WiiU gamepad :p

Not if his bedroom isn't close to the Wii U in his house and/or the walls aren't thin.

Two houses I had my Wii U in and I could barely stream it in the next room.

Being able to play anywhere will be a HUGE improvement on Switch for people that use the Offtv feature.

Dartastic

Four days off and see the thread got like 70 pages more. Can somebody tell the last news? I hope we got rumors on DOOM and Metroid Prime for Switch.
They're both coming to the Switch.

...I wish. But uh, nothing really has happened. Just people being hype.

Anth0ny

3DS launch sucked because it had no games

Wii U was a bit better but still shit

If Switch has 3D Mario or Zelda I won't be able to resist buying day one

It honestly depends on how many units they'll get. I think most stores will always save a few units for people who didn't pre-order, but it's all based on what Nintendo will ship them. Basically, it's worth a pre-order if you know for sure you'll want to buy on day one.
I'll preorder to be safe. Times are different now with more people preordering too so I don't want to miss out on a Switch day 1.

Its kind of crazy

Im not sure if hype is everywhere or just focused on enthusiasts at this point

I hope preordering my switch goes smoothly

They dropped price by $70 after a few months, leaving some feeling burned.

They did that Ambassador program with the 30(?) free VC games to try and make up for it, but that was useless to people who don't care about playing old games/had them elsewhere already.

True. Some were just miffed as it was so soon when most console/handheld official price drops are a year or two down the line from launch rather than a few months.

But you're right that it's always on early adopters. Anytime you early adopt you're paying the most the product will ever cost for the worst version it will ever have just to be there from day one.

The Ambassador Program consisted of 10 NES games and 10 GBA games. It's perfectly understandable that some folks weren't satisfied with that.

I'm a chronic Early Adopter, so... yeah. Heh, I don't really mind the revisions Nintendo usually does. I had a first-gen DS and never purchased so much as a DSlite. I've had my Wii U since launch and have no regrets. I already explained my 3DS experience. I plan to preorder Switch next Friday, and I'm sure it'll be worth picking up Day 1!

Im gonna be so poor by the end of this year. With the ports i want on top of the new Nintendo games. I wonder if i can take a mortgage out on my dog.

They probably don't know shit and based those pre-orders on the rumors.
Looking forward to Breath of the Wil.
770f6262b703189b6bc0d75ba4660656.jpg

timetokill said:
Sure, but I'm saying that the equilibrium for the Wii was closer to $299 than it was to $249, and considering the supply was what it was, they would have easily still been sold out of it for months at $299.
Right. In North America they went nearly 3 years and 25 million units sold before dropping price, so I think it's pretty reasonable to think they could've sold more than a handful with an early $299 price.

Actually, double checking now it seems like that first price drop came about the same time worldwide, so they'd sold 70+ million at the original price.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
it's too much, honestly. it was weirdly annoying in 2013 to be playing link between worlds as 3D world is just sitting there shrink wrapped :p

At least with Nintendo games rarely going on sale it's not like you overpayed for whichever game you don't get to for a while unlike buying a few games at once on other platforms. ;)

TriGen

Unfortunately I don't have a retail store like GS or Best Buy in my town (they tried but w're too small and they closed) so I'll have to do a 40 mile drive on Friday to the closest GS for a pre-order. I'm curious if Amazon will have pre-orders available the night-of, though. Like immediately after the presentation. I'll try to get one on there if they do to be safe, because having to do a decent drive and then finding out people lined-up or something would suck, so it'd be nice to have options.

DonShula

All this obsessing about pre ordering sounds so greedy. You will get your thing soon enough.

Nintendo consoles are difficult to get at launch, and we're expecting preorders to open after the announcement, which will be when many people are sleeping in the US. So yeah, people are interested in how it's going to work. I don't consider that greedy.

Fandangox

Fast Racing Neo?

Nah. Game doesn't really control that well, and while fast, that takes one out of the rush.

Some high-pace action games could give that good ol rush though, and maybe Wipeout, but I haven't played any of the Wipeout games in a long time.

There's also Redout on PCs, haven't played it, nor seen too much gameplay, but seems like it could be a good futuristic racer.

Even Wipeout lacks that sense of rush that F Zero has. F Zero is just unreal in its sense of speed.

Still boggles my mind how Nintendo hasn't released a new game or even a remaster of the original.

Inb4 someone says it will sell like shit we don't know that .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom