• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe they have a new IP that's ready for launch, but Mario alongside those two (while awesome) would be overkill for Day 1. Also keep in mind that Zelda & Splatoon are both heavy-hitters.

The thing is, overkill is exactly what Nintendo needs right now. This isn't the time to coast. They need to make as big of an initial impact as possible. They need people to take notice.

Early on in this process, wasn't Luigi's Mansion 3 rumored for launch?

LM2 sold well and a sequel is probably coming.
Yep

https://www.google.com/amp/www.tech...est-rumor-is-to-be-believed.htm?client=safari

According to Dual Pixels, citing its tipster Geno, Luigi's Mansion 3 will be a launch title for Nintendo's next console. It's planned to be the game that will show off just how powerful the NX is, with the game supposedly looking like a "living 3D cartoon movie."

The game is said to employ the NX controller's rumored haptic feedback analog sticks when capturing ghosts, and that an augmented reality multiplayer mode is also being planned for the title.

"The goal I've been told, was when the team at Next Level and EAD Tokyo 2 saw the American commercial for Luigi's Mansion 2 (aka Dark Moon) their goal was to create something that [was] visually stunning for NX and according to sources they have come 'damn close to it,'" Geno tells the site.

Geno said it and I guess at the time he said the NX had haptic feedback sticks, Bluetooth with any smart device and AR capabilities.

thefro

It was definitely the golden age for franchises like F-Zero, Metroid and Smash Bros.

I do feel some franchises fell short during this era, though. Sunshine was pretty disappointing coming off the back of Mario 64, and the GCN era also marked the beginning of the end for the Star Fox series. After Rare left Nintendo, Donkey Kong kinda fell into spinoff hell, being thrown around random developers making games based around random gimmicks like bongo controls or peg climbing. Jungle Beat was a fun game in its own right but it wasn't quite the successor to the original DKC trilogy many of us were looking for.

Mario and DK got better during the Wii era, thankfully. Too bad about Star Fox, lol.

Zelda wasn't as good as Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask. Double Dash wasn't as big as MK64.

There was no real replacement for Rare's output or the Western third party partners cranking out games like Turok. N64 was sort of a proto-Xbox audience.

The general feeling was Nintendo was just shipping stuff out to get it out the door before it was polished up (due to the complaints about delays in the N64 era).

The third party support was good for the first 3 years or so, but PS2 still had a ton more games and Xbox started getting ports some of them that didn't come to GC.

I think Nintendo's output on the Wii U from a first-party standpoint smokes what they did on the GC, which was a bunch of middling stuff alongside a couple titles a year.

Which one could really be playable ? Pit, Hades, Palutena, that guy with the big sword and I don't remember anyone else.

Plenty to choose from.

Pit
Palutena
Dark Pit
Medusa
Hades
Thanatos
Pandora
Magnus
Dark Lord Gaol
Viridi
Phosphora
Arlon
Pyrrhon
Chariot Master
Dyntos

There was a rumor a while ago, that Retro was working on an open world Kid Icarus game.

I'm hoping they put out a "Teen" rated game that has a good multiplayer. I doubt Nintendo would allow them to make a "mature" rated game. I don't think one is needed anyway.

As for Metroid, I always wondered three things:

1) If you do create a traditional Prime game, could a well done Federation Forces act as your Prime multiplayer?
2) I have said it before but a Human Head Studios assisted Metroid, I would be very interested in seeing.
3) I wondered about adding Ripley as a boss battle in Borderlands for Switch in the short term tease of a new Metroid game. Metroid art style is very adaptable and could work very well in Borderlands.

Kid Icarus Prime would be kinda cool to play through.

That's kinda funny because back in the 2007/2008 period when Pit got into Brawl and people were discussing the prospects of a new Kid Icarus game, I thought about a first person shooter/adventure game that ran on the same engine as the Prime games...like how KI ran on the same engine as Metroid back on NES (FDS in Japan). I thought about how you could charge Pit's bow like how Samus charges beams in Prime.

They could also use villains and characters from the NES version as well. Eggplant Wizard for example. Just update the art style.

Eggplant Wizards are already in Kid Icarus Uprising with an updated design.

kid-icarus-eggplant-wizard.jpg

That would depend if they wanted to use common enemy types as playable characters. Looking at Hyrule Warriors, the roster seem to consist of established characters like Link and Zelda.

Plum

Excitement is starting to hit me.

Few days away from the event.

Thursday will feel like forever waiting for 11pm

Now I've learnt that I won't actually have an exam on the 13th I now don't have an incentive to sleep until 3am and wake up for the event. Knowing me I'll stay awake until 4am from pure hype alone.

Plum

It is time for Pilotwings to make its triumphant return to the hearts and minds of the Nintendo faithful.

Mentioning Pilotwings makes me wonder; how would a niche sports collection game work out nowadays? Steep is the only one I can think off right now and that did terribly, but it was also not that great either.

But what would be left for the rest of the launch window (namely the summer)?

There should be plenty left. Nintendo obviously scaled back pretty drastically for 2016. They should have plenty for 2017. I think pulling back for 2016 was the correct strategy as long as they blow it out here.

There is no reason why Nintendo can't have a huge launch and still release an average of 3 games a month and one big game a quarter. They have the teams and they have definitely given those teams the time.

And beyond all of that, even if they couldn't keep up the pace, they should still go full bore. First impressions matter and they need to get as much positive attention as quickly as possible. There isn't any time left to stall or to coast. They have been stalling and coasting for 2 years already.

If the games are ready to go, then they need to ship them at launch.

I feel like Switch is Nintendos return to GameCube era Nintendo. They are done with their gimmicks and motion and casual chasing. This is their homecoming in my mind.

Hmm. I get the Gamecube nostalgia as it had some great games and a brilliant controller, but it was not a good time for Nintendo overall- they really suffered during that era, almost as much as they did during the Wii U era. There were loads of solid games, but it lacked the sparkle of the N64 era- it really missed having decent Rare games, particularly platformers. Star Fox Adventures was atrocious.

The thing about Nintendo eras is that they've always been split across two hardware lines. So the N64/GBC era will always stand out in comparison to the GC/GBA era, particularly because the Game Boy Advance was so weak. But then on course you have two eras of poor home consoles but great handhelds- which makes me optimistic for the Switch...

didn't they expand???

I believe Miyamoto said at one point pretty recently that they're big enough to work on multiple projects at once. But it wouldn't surprise me if that means one major project + one team in a supporting role for another internal Nintendo game (like Mario Kart 7).

ASIS

is anyone else worried about the analogue stick placement on the right joy con? I'm worried I'll accidentally hit it when pressing the B button.

I played through metroid prime and a link to the past through 100% completion because of how hyped i am for the event. I bought pokemon sun to help me pass the time too. Tomorrow i go back to work so it will help too.

I played through metroid prime and a link to the past through 100% completion because of how hyped i am for the event. I bought pokemon sun to help me pass the time too. Tomorrow i go back to work so it will help too.

I'm finding it hard to play any video games at the moment. All I want is Switch info in my veins. I think I'm gonna' play some NES Classic this week though. Nintendo's all I've really got on the mind right now.

Kicko

If Kid Icarus shows up in any form at the Switch event I'd be a happy man. Preferably a Retro designed game over a Hyrule Warriors styled game though.

I played some New Super Mario Bros. for Wii (not U) last night with a bunch of friends. Had a good time. There's no indication of another New Super Mario Bros. game coming is there? New Super Mario Bros Switch? I wonder if this 'series' will ever actually die, especially with Run's art style being exactly the same.

Neoxon

I played some New Super Mario Bros. for Wii (not U) last night with a bunch of friends. Had a good time. There's no indication of another New Super Mario Bros. game coming is there? New Super Mario Bros Switch? I wonder if this 'series' will ever actually die, especially with Run's art style being exactly the same.
I wouldn't be surprised if Super Mario Maker eliminated the need for the NSMB games (all it needs is multiplayer).

There will absolutely be another 2D entry at some point, but I'm hoping it goes for a new art style.

Brofield

it really missed having decent Rare games, particularly platformers. Star Fox Adventures was atrocious.

Why does this game get so much hell, aside from not being a proper StarFox game? I may have been biased, but this was my first Zelda SF game, and I still look back on it fondly and frequently replay it. The combat is admittedly simply but effective, the graphics and smoothness still hold up today, the story is rather engaging in my humble opinion, and the mechanics are all what people would expect and want from an adventure platformer.

Sure, I won't deny it has some significant flaws, but outside of the associated franchise name I still think it one of Rare's strongest outputs. I'd love to see this type of game show up on Switch to represent it's hardware strengths as well as the creativity of its software teams

JonnyKong

I think it's safe to say that Retro are obviously making the Wario and Waluigi adventure we all want.

On another note, Orbital Beard, you're doing very well in that other thread about the Switch price. Kudos to you sir.

There will absolutely be another 2D entry at some point, but I'm hoping it goes for a new art style.

Oh I completely agree on both accounts. I've just been assuming it WILL be a new art style, but this is the first time I have really considered the possibility that we'll see another "New" 2D Mario.

Why does this game get so much hell, aside from not being a proper StarFox game? I may have been biased, but this was my first Zelda SF game, and I still look back on it fondly and frequently replay it. The combat is admittedly simply but effective, the graphics and smoothness still hold up today, the story is rather engaging in my humble opinion, and the mechanics are all what people would expect and want from an adventure platformer.

Sure, I won't deny it has some significant flaws, but outside of the associated franchise name I still think it one of Rare's strongest outputs. I'd love to see this type of game show up on Switch to represent it's hardware strengths as well as the creativity of its software teams

Agree. It's the natural evolution of Rare's N64 output + influence from OoT/Soul Reaver (obviously.) I liked having SF characters in it. With 4k internal res on Dolphin, the game looks great.

MoonFrog

Idk I played SF Adventures with my sister and pretended that Tricky was Tricky Dicky Nixon. I had fun with it, but was also playing it in a setting where its flaws were amusements mostly.

Anyone scared that they will keep the New Super Mario art style because Run has it???
I mean, it would be weird to me if they want to introduce Mario to mobile gamers and then the first new 2D game looks drastically different than the taste they are given.

R00bot

Just watched the first nintendo direct over again. I find it hilarious that Reggie says "what's wrong with you" when I actually got someone banned on Miiverse for saying that. I was young and losing an argument and they said that so I reported them with the explanation "he asked what was wrong with me, implying that something is wrong with me ie some kind of disability" and the miiverse admins did the rest.

What's wrong with me.

Brofield

Anyone scared that they will keep the New Super Mario art style because Run has it???
I mean, it would be weird to me if they want to introduce Mario to mobile gamers and then the first new 2D game look drastically different than the taste they are given.

I feel Nintendo's kinda stuck with that clean artstyle. Either they have to downgrade it's quality, or they have to up the 'realness'. Alternatively, play with the lighting so every level is in a constant state of dusk and it can look 'grittier'.

Man, sure would be nice though to play a Super Mario game with the textures you see on Mario/Luigi/Peach's clothes and Bowser's scales in Smash Bros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom