• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's not kid ourselves, the Switch needs to be $249. At least in NA. With news today of what to expect for oil prices, massive spike in health insurance cost now starting, and food prices unexpectedly going up.
People will have far less disposable income than what they envisioned. Especially with Gas $2.75 to $4.00/gallon across majority of United States. Some people's budgets could be far tighter than the 2016 budget was.
Switch needs to have a $249 option, without even consdering that PS4 slim and Xbone Slim may hit $229 by E3 and even $199 by holiday 2017.

0racle

Clear some confusion for me please.

If I understand correctly, Nintendo's next big console is having its time in the limelight which will probably reveal everything they have to offer for launch, at 11 at night?!?

Pre orders will go live presumably after ? How long is the show ? This sounds rather poor planning on their end....

0racle

Let's not kid ourselves, the Switch needs to be $249. At least in NA. With news today of what to expect for oil prices, massive spike in health insurance cost now starting, and food prices unexpectedly going up.
People will have far less disposable income than what they envisioned. Especially with Gas $2.75 to $4.00/gallon across majority of United States. Some people's budgets could be far tighter than the 2016 budget was.
Switch needs to have a $249 option, without even consdering that PS4 slim and Xbone Slim may hit $229 by E3 and even $199 by holiday 2017.

I'm calling 199.

They will have a Wii situation all over again. Infact it would be triple the demand.

Clear some confusion for me please.

If I understand correctly, Nintendo's next big console is having its time in the limelight which will probably reveal everything they have to offer for launch, at 11 at night?!?

Pre orders will go live presumably after ? How long is the show ? This sounds rather poor planning on their end....

The event is late at night (in North America...it's way worse for Europe), but there's a ton of further coverage happening during the day on Friday.

MoonFrog

Anyone scared that they will keep the New Super Mario art style because Run has it???
I mean, it would be weird to me if they want to introduce Mario to mobile gamers and then the first new 2D game look drastically different than the taste they are given.
I think NSMB is here to stay, yes. And I wish it weren't. Mario could use the artistic variation he had in 80s and 90s again.

I'm so thirsty now I'm trying to hunt down a copy of the only Zelda game I haven't played to pass the time pre-Switch (Phantom Hourglass).

sanstesy

I definitely think Nintendo will stick with the 2.5D artstyle for Mario games and I actually prefer that. It just needs way more flashy graphics and way, way more effort in the musical department. They should ditch the NSMB name, though.

A lot of folks will read hyperbole into your post, but I agree entirely with it.

Mario Galaxy virgins have a wild ride ahead. Hopefully the Switch Mario game will be the same level of quality.

I will never fault nintendo for not reaching those levels again. Something like 3D World is good enough and that's GOTY easily.

Gas has been very cheap relative to 2008-2011. No way itll hit near 4. Food the same thing, theres too much supply. Health insurance is a good point. US consumer spending is up so actually its a great time for Nintendo, I think.

jdstorm

Banned
Mentioning Pilotwings makes me wonder; how would a niche sports collection game work out nowadays? Steep is the only one I can think off right now and that did terribly, but it was also not that great either.

I think it would depend how you did it. I think an open world style game thats Burnout Paradise x Wii Sports resort would do really well. Especially with a good mix of sports.

Something like Mario v Sonic at the olympics but with an open world Island vibe could be really cool.

I really like Steep. But in general the public would want something more Arcadey

I do agree with the notion that the Mario Galaxies are probably the best Mario games Nintendo will ever make...hell, probably their best games period arguably.

It's funny because I think Mario 64 actually feels better to play and control than the Galaxy titles, and yet it honestly kinda doesn't matter because the latter games are better in every other way, and it's not like they play like Bubsy 3D or something anyways.

Hey, do you guys think that if the Switch has GameCube VC it will be emulated well? I'd honestly buy the system just for Melee and Double Dash both on the go and on an HDTV.

Hey, do you guys think that if the Switch has GameCube VC it will be emulated well? I'd honestly buy the system just for Melee and Double Dash both on the go and on an HDTV.

The Dolphin emulator can be run on the Shield TV so I'm sure Nintendo themselves could get something decent up and running. We will see!

Nintendo can't use the Mario RPG name.
Ehh. The Mario & Luigi series is straight up the "Mario & Luigi RPG" series in Japan.
61waJcHjkWL._SX342_.jpg

alt27 said:
Any word on how many there making for launch ? There going the usual Nintendo route and making a tiny amount again are they ?
The last time they had significant shortages at launch was Wii, and that was with a not-tiny amount.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm so thirsty now I'm trying to hunt down a copy of the only Zelda game I haven't played to pass the time pre-Switch (Phantom Hourglass).

Do yourself a favor and skip it.

Based on the current sound of rumours, I'm going to guess it will be like N64 on Wii. Generally surprisingly good, but very few titles, and some with visible technical problems.

This assumes they won't just take Dolphin, improve AArch port (assuming Tegra is 64-bit, if it isn't, it's a different story) and add some compatibility hacks, which would probably be way easier technically, but would also present a potential PR disaster.

lutheran

Zelda wasn't as good as Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask. Double Dash wasn't as big as MK64.

There was no real replacement for Rare's output or the Western third party partners cranking out games like Turok. N64 was sort of a proto-Xbox audience.

The general feeling was Nintendo was just shipping stuff out to get it out the door before it was polished up (due to the complaints about delays in the N64 era).

The third party support was good for the first 3 years or so, but PS2 still had a ton more games and Xbox started getting ports some of them that didn't come to GC.

I think Nintendo's output on the Wii U from a first-party standpoint smokes what they did on the GC, which was a bunch of middling stuff alongside a couple titles a year.

Man I wish I could get into MM more, the damn time limits ruin the game for me as I am not the greatest Zelda player lol. Any tricks to not have to deal with those timers on the 3DS?

Not

Banned
I'm so psyched. I'm playing through Wind Waker again and looking for a part-time job. I want this thing so badly.

oti

Banned
Expecting a major price/launch leak tomorrow then. Lets hope they don't tell them all the launch games.

You really think that Nintendo would tell thousands of GS employees their secret line-up one week before announcement? Why? They'll get information on how to prepare and manage the pre-orders. Can't imagine more than that.

I better be able to pre-order this thing online. I don't want to drive to a GameStop on Friday. Best Buy, Amazon, and GameStop.com, do not let us down.

Plum

You really think that Nintendo would tell thousands of GS employees their secret line-up one week before announcement? Why? They'll get information on how to prepare and manage the pre-orders. Can't imagine more than that.

Yeah in hindsight that was a bit silly to say. At most they might say price, but it'll likely just be preorder information.

Gas has been very cheap relative to 2008-2011. No way itll hit near 4. Food the same thing, theres too much supply. Health insurance is a good point. US consumer spending is up so actually its a great time for Nintendo, I think.

There was an economic report released quietly Friday that the East coast and west coast will see $2.75 to $4.00 gas by June, and expect to see ramp up starting in Feb...something to do with the "Summer" gas mixture. I can't speak intelligently about it, but the NPR report stated expected the price range of gas in the range listed above.

Man I wish I could get into MM more, the damn time limits ruin the game for me as I am not the greatest Zelda player lol. Any tricks to not have to deal with those timers on the 3DS?

The best advice i give for is to talk with the kids from the bomber secret society, they always give you hints at what to do. You should trace a goal for the cycle you are in, are you going to finish a lenghty sidequest? are you going to finish a dungeon? You can also slow down time playin the inverted song of time. Don't ever think about the timer as some kind of enemy. Don't always use the full three days, if you completed a quest in one day and half, finish this cycle off, no need to always use the three days.

Well with the inverted song of time the 3 day cycle lasts about 2 hours and 45 min. I would just save often, and go back to day 1 every time you hit a 'milestone'. Like when you find the entrance to a dungeon, there is usually an owl statue you can warp to, just reset the cycle and warp to the dungeon entrance. There are usually pots right outside the dungeon to refill your items with. You will get about 2 1/2 hours to get through the dungeon.

I know the above sounds unappealing, but I really gained a huge appreciation for the cycle when I realized how in depth the bomber's notebook was with schedules and NPC interactions. If that doesn't appeal to you, I don't know if you will ever gain that same appreciation. The time cycle really exists for the bomber's notebook. IMO, that's where the true enjoyment comes out of the game for me.

BD1

Banned
Zelda wasn't as good as Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask. Double Dash wasn't as big as MK64.

There was no real replacement for Rare's output or the Western third party partners cranking out games like Turok. N64 was sort of a proto-Xbox audience.

The general feeling was Nintendo was just shipping stuff out to get it out the door before it was polished up (due to the complaints about delays in the N64 era).

The third party support was good for the first 3 years or so, but PS2 still had a ton more games and Xbox started getting ports some of them that didn't come to GC.

I think Nintendo's output on the Wii U from a first-party standpoint smokes what they did on the GC, which was a bunch of middling stuff alongside a couple titles a year.

The retirement of Minoru Arakawa and Howard Lincoln from NoA was also a huge contributor to the end of western support. Those two were very instrumental in bringing western developed games to N64, and when they left, Iwata centralized control of GameCube (and beyond) software to Kyoto

sphinx

the piano man
A few days ago, Nate Drake and Liam mentioned on Twitter there was a Metroid in development. They don't know when it will be shown or who is developing it which, imo, makes the rumor dubious.

I'd guess they both have heard someone saying that someone said Metroid is being worked on.

a little piece of info that has been passed around but the kind of thing you can´t directly leak cause you really don't know where it came from or if it really means anything.

as for me.. I am a believer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom