• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't heard talk about any pack-in, but I definitely expect there to be one. Splatoon or Mario Kart would make the sense given the appeal of the games.
Hmm interesting.

I know Laura said Splatoon was pack in, but I don't know which source she heard that from and how old that it. I mean it looks like recently Nintendo decided to launch BotW regardless of Europe being ready or not.

Yes.

I haven't heard it being a pack-in, and I've heard it won't be a launch game in North America. The information is a bit dated so it could be inaccurate at this point in time. I'd love to see it at launch. Last I heard it was slated for an early summer release, but things may have changed. At least we'll know for sure in just a few days.

True, I'd love it for launch though.

What about that dark souls 2 console definitive edition?

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I love how we transitioned to firmly believing Mario at launch zelda delayed everywhere until summer to no Mario at launch and zelda coming at launch (except EU) in just a week. Y'all need to chill.

Edit: Nathan, thank you for confirming federation force HD.

Raet

I would put money on not getting Mario and Zelda on launch day. Doesn't seem like Nintendo would want to blow its load like that.
I would take that though.
All over my face.

I love how we transitioned to firmly believing Mario at launch zelda delayed everywhere until summer to no Mario at launch and zelda coming at launch (except EU) in just a week. Y'all need to chill.
We had every reason to though? Several reliable sources said Zelda would not be ready for launch, but Mario was ready. Now Zelda is ready all of a sudden and that makes it more likely they'll hold back Mario for later in the year.

Yes.

I haven't heard it being a pack-in, and I've heard it won't be a launch game in North America. The information is a bit dated so it could be inaccurate at this point in time. I'd love to see it at launch. Last I heard it was slated for an early summer release, but things may have changed. At least we'll know for sure in just a few days.
....yo man :)

oti

Banned

Edit: Nathan, thank you for confirming federation force HD.

Leakers say X -> X is seen as fact -> Leakers change X to Y -> Y is seen as fact

And so on.

I never played mario galaxy :( but mario 3d land on wii u was fun hope they port it too

So jealous.
Galaxy is something else man, i don't think anyone will ever come this close to perfection ever again.

It's so far ahead of what others put out it kinda ruined gaming for me for a while.

Provided Nate isn't pulling our leg here, I'd love to get excited over this new Metroid, but my issue is...if it's happening, who's developing it?

Laura
and Liam
already said that Retro wasn't working with the franchise at this time, so it's probably not them. So the only other options are A. Sakamoto returning to the franchise and B. Tanabe's working with NLG or some other western studio on a new installment.

...neither of which sounds like appealing propositions.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I believe 3D Mario will launch within the first four months to try and capatalize on any mindshare gains from the Super Mario Run release. I believe Nintendo moved up Super Mario Run in their mobile release schedule because of the increase in mainline Pokemon sales resulting from the success of Pokemon Go, and expected similar results with Mario.

I'm guessing that is also the reason why the Rabbid/Mario RPG is recently rumored as a September release, despite being reportedly finished. I don't think Nintendo is too worried about Zelda and Mario canabalizing each other because both are evergreen titles that will sale throughout to Swtuch's lifespan, and they arguably attract different audiences at this point.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I would take that though.
All over my face.

We had every reason to though? Several reliable sources said Zelda would not be ready for launch, but Mario was ready. Now Zelda is ready all of a sudden and that makes it more likely they'll hold back Mario for later in the year.
regardless of credibility theres no reason to treat rumors as gospel at every new hint of news which has been happening here for a long time. The point of my post is to illustrate that people need to stop jumping to conclusions and try waiting 4 more days. I don't see any reasoning behind holding Mario back for zelda when it's already done unless Nintendo is anticipating another drought but I'm not going to just jump to that conclusion. I think the more reasonable expectation is to just wait until Thursday.

Leakers say X -> X is seen as fact -> Leakers change X to Y -> Y is seen as fact

And so on.
Exactly

Xdrive05

So jealous.
Galaxy is something else man, i don't think anyone will ever come this close to perfection ever again.

It's so far ahead of what others put out it kinda ruined gaming for me for a while.

A lot of folks will read hyperbole into your post, but I agree entirely with it.

Mario Galaxy virgins have a wild ride ahead. Hopefully the Switch Mario game will be the same level of quality.

Debirudog

It would be nice for Sakamoto to work on Metroid again just to see people moan about the series' doom when it turns out to be a good game in the end.

Nanashrew

Banned
I feel at this point Zelda and Mario are not at all worth talking about or speculating anymore in these discussions. It's tiring and boring and we're all going in circles. I'd rather just wait to hear about them in the event.

Provided Nate isn't pulling our leg here, I'd love to get excited over this new Metroid, but my issue is...if it's happening, who's developing it?

Laura
and Liam
already said that Retro wasn't working with the franchise at this time, so it's probably not them. So the only other options are A. Sakamoto returning to the franchise and B. Tanabe's working with NLG or some other western studio on a new installment.

...neither of which sounds like appealing propositions.

But look it that way: would you thought, back in 2000,that a western Metroid from a new studio would work? Maybe they found a new perfect developer for the franchise.

Plum

But look it that way: would you thought, back in 2000,that a western Metroid from a new studio would work? Maybe they found a new perfect developer for the franchise.

Maybe they've found a developer who can pull Metroid back
From
the brink?

From a gameplay perspective. I liked all of Sakamotos Metriod games.

if he comes back. I'm sure he can deliver a 2D Metriod. But I doubt he'll ever come back. He's gotta higher position, no?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm kind of surprised they haven't developed an HD Galaxy 1/2 release.

From a gameplay perspective. I liked all of Sakamotos Metriod games.

if he comes back. I'm sure he can deliver a 2D Metriod. But I doubt he'll ever come back. He's gotta higher position, no?

He also said he didn't have much interest in returning to the franchise. He seems to prefer working on the quirky mini-game stuff like Rhythm Heaven or Tomodachi Life. Quite frankly, after what happened with Other M, I'd prefer he'd stay there.

He also said he didn't have much interest in returning to the franchise. He seems to prefer working on the quirky mini-game stuff like Rhythm Heaven or Tomodachi Life. Quite frankly, after what happened with Other M, I'd prefer he'd stay there.
Well it's smarter to keep him there anyways. Tomodachi life probably outsold all of his Metriod games combined. Maybe even if you include the Primes.

Give Metriod to the 3D Mario team lol.

Scrawnton

Lastnight I started watching old Nintendo E3 conferences. I actually never saw an E3 video from the GCN era. I'm actually really really hyped for GameCube virtual console for this system. That seemed like the era where Nintendo was most on point with the games they needed to make for their fans. I remember living through the GameCube era as a high school kid and never once complaining about the software I got.

Plum

Lastnight I started watching old Nintendo E3 conferences. I actually never saw an E3 video from the GCN era. I'm actually really really hyped for GameCube virtual console for this system. That seemed like the era where Nintendo was most on point with the games they needed to make for their fans. I remember living through the GameCube era as a high school kid and never once complaining about the software I got.

To be honest if we never get another Metroid game again as long as we get Metroid Prime 1 and 2 (hopefully with the widescreen support of trilogy) I won't be too saddened.

To me, Gamecube was perfect until around mid-2005. Then, it kind of sucked. Still, the first three and a half years were glorious.

Waji

byNvnfF.png

You're welcome.

Scrawnton

To me, Gamecube was perfect until around mid-2005. Then, it kind of sucked. Still, the first three and a half years were glorious.

I feel like Switch is Nintendos return to GameCube era Nintendo. They are done with their gimmicks and motion and casual chasing. This is their homecoming in my mind.

Plum

I feel like Switch is Nintendos return to GameCube era Nintendo. They are done with their gimmicks and motion and casual chasing. This is their homecoming in my mind.

I know we're all hyped but slow down there :p Lets wait a bit before declaring that. Though I definitely agree, in terms of public appeal and the company itself it seems that the Switch is sort of a new beginning; a lot of surprises are surely abound.

It was definitely the golden age for franchises like F-Zero, Metroid and Smash Bros.

I do feel some franchises fell short during this era, though. Sunshine was pretty disappointing coming off the back of Mario 64, and the GCN era also marked the beginning of the end for the Star Fox series. After Rare left Nintendo, Donkey Kong kinda fell into spinoff hell, being thrown around random developers making games based around random gimmicks like bongo controls or peg climbing. Jungle Beat was a fun game in its own right but it wasn't quite the successor to the original DKC trilogy many of us were looking for.

Mario and DK got better during the Wii era, thankfully. Too bad about Star Fox, lol.

I always thought the reason we never got another 2D Metroid, other then they don't sell, is because there rather difficult to make.

I mean from a level design prespective. I could be wrong, but other games like Metriod never quite nailed the level design. It was other factors that made them enjoyable such as gameplay.

That's just me tho

oti

Banned

Bruuuuuuuh what are you talking about.

This thing could be Wii 2. Wait for the event. Why you think the Joy-Con have motion sensors built-in?

Wait, what? Where's this Metroid rumour I've missed?
A few days ago, Nate Drake and Liam mentioned on Twitter there was a Metroid in development. They don't know when it will be shown or who is developing it which, imo, makes the rumor dubious.

I'm not saying there isn't one because I think there is, but their sources could just be guessing.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Bruuuuuuuh what are you talking about.

This thing could be Wii 2. Wait for the event. Why you think the Joy-Con have motion sensors built-in?
Yes please. Wii was great.

I still say Wii U should have been Wii 2 and should have featured an improved version of the wiimote setup as the primary control method. Better motion, more buttons and 2 analog sticks.

If Nate knows Metroid is coming then it's not being made by Retro since nobody knows what Retro is doing.

Retro is seriously going to be my most surprising game from the Switch Presentation.

Atleast we have ideas of what other studios are making like Monolith is making an RPG, but Retro nobody has any clue. They could be making anything.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Early on in this process, wasn't Luigi's Mansion 3 rumored for launch?

LM2 sold well and a sequel is probably coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom