• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hatchx

Banned
That sounds smart too. I'm just wondering if Nintendo is truly done with those franchises as far as innovation goes. Miyamoto is talking about rebooting Mario. I really feel and hope that Nintendo is looking at all of their franchises and asking themselves where they can innovate, no matter how drastic. But that process needs time and people really want MK and Smash for Switch, the Wii U versions are basically perfect so they're fine with some enhancements. They'll come out in the first 12 months and that's great. But for the next MK and Smash there needs to be some real, palatable innovation. Otherwise there is no need for them to exist.

And I think they will exist and they will exist on Switch.

I just can't envision where those two franchises can expand to that would justify a new release. I mean we already saw the additional 200cc mode being added to Kart a year after release. Any innovations like a new-and-improved battle mode or mission mode could be ready for Mario Kart Switch, or release down the road without justifying a new release in the franchise. Why would they go against their one-per-console strategy? It's worked for decades.

I don't think those two franchises need fundamental innovations as you suggest, atleast not to the base gameplay. More online options, more abilities to spectate and share, deeper character/kart/level customization, etc. How about making custom Grand Prix's in Mario Kart, where we select the courses, item stats, and individual AI skillsets, and share online for comprehensive stat tracking? Same goes for Smash with customized classic-modes? How about finally adding a goddamn tag-team mode in Smash Bros? There are tons and tons of ways these franchises can be expanded without affecting the perfected base gameplay mechanics.

All I'm saying is these two franchises have a lot of areas to expand and improve outside of the base gameplay, and I simply can't imagine what would justify a new release until we have a tech leap or VR or something.

...and if they really wanted to innovate the base gameplay of Mario Kart, make a new Diddy Kong Racing. Or a new fighting game to compliment Smash bros. Both of these games are so deep within the collective gamer mindshare and competitive community I would almost urge them against innovating too much on the base gameplay.

TDLink

This. 100% this. I'm tired of Platinum having to make this and that. They're not the most amazing dev and they have plenty of duds.
Their only duds are micro budget license games Activision had them crap out.

I do agree they shouldn't just make anything and everything. Let them stick to their specialty. Action games.

Neoxon

I agree there's strengths to both, and at the end of the day we don't know Nintendo's overall development timelines or release strategy...

However if the rumour of 3D Mario being finished is true, it just seems way more logical to use that to keep the hype going a few months later and release Mario Kart, their most popular and recognized IP at launch.

I can only see Splatoon being the better option if they have another title with local multiplayer. Splatoon and Zelda don't really have local multiplayer on one system, and being one of the Joy-Cons coolest attributes it makes too much sense for Kart at launch. Multiplayer is big for Nintendo, and two-player multiplayer out-of-the-box will be a huge selling factor for the Switch.

I guess I'll just mark my prediction. I think Mario Kart Deluxe (not named Mario Kart 8) will hit launch alongside Zelda. LKD and Emily Rogers flip flopped on Zelda at launch, so there's good reason to believe they are wrong/things have changed about Splatoon at launch.
Based on what Eurogamer heard, Nintendo made a decision near the end of last year to move ahead with NA & JP having Zelda on Day 1 despite EU's potential localization issues. If something changed about Splatoon, we would have likely gotten an update from either them, Laura, or Emily by now.

Also, I recall there being reports of Splatoon Switch having an improved local multiplayer mode.

Kandinsky

Rösti;227893958 said:
nintendoswitchpresentp6byv.png

Some explanations:
Mine

oti

Banned
Yeah even at like April I dont see it. I think the leakers could be wrong here.

There are many other games that we dont know thats going to be releasing this is a console getting every single Nintendo game.

I think the game could totally be done but to reach the conclusion it must be coming out at launch is foolish and shows a lack of understanding of how Nintendo operates. They could store that game away for months until what they think would be the best launch window for the game.

The way I see it, launch will be Zelda, Splatoon/Mario Kart 8 port with Splatoon being much more likely, whatever their first party novelty game is, then 3rd party stuff, lego game, skyrim, call of duty, maybe arkham knight, FIFA 17. Then a reasonably decent VC line up for launch.

They can launch with (from Nintendo)

-BotW
-Splatoon
-Mario Sports game (the 3DS game coming)
-Mario Rabbids Kingdom (could be delayed to September)

To me this is most realistic because Mario Sports for 3DS is coming in the spring IIRC.

Plum

The way I see it, launch will be Zelda, Splatoon/Mario Kart 8 port with Splatoon being much more likely, whatever their first party novelty game is, then 3rd party stuff, lego game, skyrim, call of duty, maybe arkham knight, FIFA 17. Then a reasonably decent VC line up for launch.

I'm gonna put a bet down and say that both Resident Evil 7 and some form of Souls game (either the trilogy or just 3) will be coming at launch.

Watch me be right, GAF.
Believe!

I think they going to launch with zelda ,splatoon maybe some nintendo land type of game and release mario for the summer and pokemon for november

oti

Banned
I just want a Mario Galaxy Collection including Mario 3D Land (BECAUSE I SAY SO) for summer and the new 3D Mario for the holidays.

NateDrake

what are your predictions for a Metroid? do you think that's gonna happen at some point?

Yes.

Have you heard anything one way or the other?

I haven't heard it being a pack-in, and I've heard it won't be a launch game in North America. The information is a bit dated so it could be inaccurate at this point in time. I'd love to see it at launch. Last I heard it was slated for an early summer release, but things may have changed. At least we'll know for sure in just a few days.

Yall really think Mario will be releasing that fast..?
They say it's basically finished, I imagine they're looking at their release schedule to see how they can make best use of their games. Zelda was pushed forward and they can release Mario whenever they feel like since it has no date and it's ready to release

Yes.

I haven't heard it being a pack-in, and I've heard it won't be a launch game in North America. The information is a bit dated so it could be inaccurate at this point in time. I'd love to see it at launch. Last I heard it was slated for an early summer release, but things may have changed. At least we'll know for sure in just a few days.

Yes Metroid.

Did you hear Mario Kart for pack in in america?

I kept thinking they'd want Mario Kart as pack in in America and Splatoon as pack in in Japan.

I'm gonna put a bet down and say that both Resident Evil 7 and some form of Souls game (either the trilogy or just 3) will be coming at launch.

Watch me be right, GAF.
Believe!

I dont think we will be getting a Souls trilogy at launch for the simple fact DS3 hasnt finished with its DLC yet.

Definitely crossing fingers for down the road though!

NateDrake

Yes Metroid.

Did you hear Mario Kart for pack in in america?

I kept thinking they'd want Mario Kart as pack in in America and Splatoon as pack in in Japan.

Haven't heard talk about any pack-in, but I definitely expect there to be one. Splatoon or Mario Kart would make the sense given the appeal of the games. I wouldn't be surprised to see regional bundles as you said - Splatoon for Japan and Mario Kart for US.

oti

Banned
The third Nintendo Direct is the first Wii U one and it starts with Iwata talking about how people ignore each other because they focus on their own devices and how Wii U is supposed to unite people.

This is so precious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom