• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Current rumors suggest that extra docks will be available, just not at launch. Could just be a production thing for now. Either way, that seems to suggest that there is nothing to "lock" your console to one dock.

Yeah, but they also literally told us we would be able to play with / buy multiple gamepads for the Wii U back in the day so we'll see!

But, yeah, the concept does seem to suggest that there isnt going to be a one-console-per-dock thing going on and that's good, at least.

JoeM86

Obe1s new leak is his source said "Nintendo won't charge for online at launch"

Obe1 said his source left it at that so to him he thinks his source was implying you'll be paying for internet after that or there will be an optional paid version of online.

If they do this, they better as hell make it worth it, like giving us free access to all their VC games while we have a subscription

Scrawnton

If they do this, they better as hell make it worth it, like giving us free access to all their VC games while we have a subscription
Honestly, I hope they do a subscription for VC so they are accountable for keeping up with releasing VC games. Wii U was so bad for that. How the heck do you launch your new system without VC?!

Everybody Votes Channel exclusive to Switch+ subscribers

I know you're joking but they should bring that back to let the gamers vote on the weekly VC releases.

Yeah, but they also literally told us we would be able to play with / buy multiple gamepads for the Wii U back in the day so we'll see!

But, yeah, the concept does seem to suggest that there isnt going to be a one-console-per-dock thing going on and that's good, at least.

They definitely did! But to be fair, having multiple Gamepads on one Wii-U seems like a daunting affair. I just wish they were more direct about why that didn't happen.

Nuh-uh. I have a sticker from the old Official Nintendo Magazine that clearly states I will kick your butt at Nintendo 64.

...stuck on my SNES.

276458.gif

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Reading this topic is slowly making me hyped for the event. That's unusual, I haven't been hyped like this for anything in quite a while.

I'm excited to see your guys and the reaction on social media during and after the presentation. It should make for a good time.

It seems to me that the topic slowed down a bit, especially in terms of hype :/

I've seen some discussion about a proper console OOT HD version. Isn't that only right? OOT is a historic game on the level of FFVII. I wouldn't want an FFVII Remake take on OOT, but beyond the cleaned up OOT 3DS (and I hear it is absolutely wonderful), does OOT deserve a cleaned up/HD experience on a Nintendo CONSOLE? Do you think the Switch will get something like that?

There's nothing wrong with optional paid online.

Online multiplayer should always be free, but if Nintendo wants to do extra features and rent some VC games a month with a paid subscription then that's fine.

LordKano

There won't be paid online on Switch, relax. There's 0% chance of it happening. We would already have heard of it if it was the case.

jmizzal

Going from a handheld to a console with $60 titles will have that effect.

I'm pretty sure games will be priced differently

If its something more handheldish it will prob be $39 but big stuff like Zelda will be 59, and stuff in between will 49, they already do that now.

I have no problem paying for online if they make it worthwhile. I imagine they would definitely do a PS Plus and Games With Gold model which could be very neat with all their Virtual Console offerings.

opricnik

Banned
Nintendo never will figure that making a compenent account service let alone subs based online.

Their online services are passable at best and thats fine with me

Nintendo never will figure that making a compenent account service let alone subs based online.

Never?

Ok buddy

They did contract it out this time sooo I guess we cant exactly give them credit this time around

Lol it's fine with me if they're never "competent" enough to start charging for a sub for online play. That's not really an achievement. Being tricked into thinking you're getting any kind of value with the free rental games doesn't mean anything.

And besides, the NNID system is actually pretty decent. It's fun to go "haw haw Nintendo has no online" but that's actually pretty much just not true anymore. The biggest problems with anything related to their online ecosystem are with individual games (poor netcode, questionable design decisions).

Yeah they don't have a sub service or anything but uh why the hell should I want them to? They're pretty inarguably just ways to milk money out of people.

What do you guys think happens if the Switch has the games on Wii U that had their own achievements in the games and the Switch has system wide achievements?

Like Xenoblade Chronicles X. Do all those achievements turn into the system wide achievements?

Tregard

Soothsayer
What do you guys think happens if the Switch has the games on Wii U that had their own achievements in the games and the Switch has system wide achievements?

Like Xenoblade Chronicles X. Do all those achievements turn into the system wide achievements?

I'd imagine so, seems like less work overall

LordKano

Xenoblade X had a fuckton of achievements (like 200 or something), at the point where I just disabled the pop-up because of how frequenty it came out.
I'm not expecting an achievement system but if it happens, I think they will simply get ride of the in-game achievements.

Kinsei

Banned
If Nintendo does introduce an optional subscription service ala PS+ back in the PS3 days then it had better be damn good. I'm talking free Gamecube games good.

how did OBE1 even become a reputable source for "leaks" again?

People corroborated his Nintendo Musou rumor.

So what are the chances of a party or achievement system? I'm really hoping Nintendo goes all out for the Switch
I know many people think achievement systems are obsolete nowadays, but I'm really hoping that the Switch will introduce achievements/trophies to some extent. I like being able to share milestones that I've reached, as well as seeing what my friends have accomplished. There's no need for a points system like with PS and XB, but some markers on your profile would be nice.

I read one suggestion about them having stickers earned as achievements, which could then be placed on your profile and in a sticker book that others could view. Something as simple as that would be perfect for Nintendo. That being said, I won't get my hopes up for any type of achievement systems that go beyond in-game statistics. Just doesn't seem like something they'd care much about.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'd guess any "achievement" system would just give My Nintendo coins like Miitomo and Mario Run do.

Koppai

There won't be paid online on Switch, relax. There's 0% chance of it happening. We would already have heard of it if it was the case.
Not necessarily. That's what this little conference is for to let us know more information and possibly the release date.

Let's hope the online stuff is seamless unlike Sun and Moon where you have to go to a special area and connect to play online.

Given that achievements are an established standard and that there is no reason against it? 100%.

Edit:
Is there actually a service left without achievements?

They were an established standard in 2012 too, but we saw what happened then.

I would like to see them added but I don't see how they are any more an obvious 'in' than they were before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom