• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxcriden

I'm not expecting more than an hour but it may be longer. I imagine it would be E3 conference length which was usually an hour for Nintendo.

Oh, I see. That would make sense, then. Thank you!

I'd guess any "achievement" system would just give My Nintendo coins like Miitomo and Mario Run do.

That's my expectation as well. My Nintendo coin missions for all games would ostensibly serve as an achievement system.

maxcriden

The lack of a second SKU on these leaks is confusing.

$250 is a huge win. A Splatoon pack in would be HUGE for the IP. Please do it Nintendo.

I wonder if there won't be any second SKU after all. LKD did clarify her bundle rumor (in her extended and revised deep dive post) to mean that a Splatoon bundle might be offered only by GAME themselves and not as a formally offered bundle at all retailers. (I agree a Splatoon pack-in would be a terrific idea, though!)

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if there won't be any second SKU after all. LKD did clarify her bundle rumor (in her extended and revised deep dive post) to mean that a Splatoon bundle might be offered only by GAME themselves and not as a formally offered bundle at all retailers.

that would mean no premium switch with more internal storage.
well..let's wait and see.

Xdrive05

The best price it could possibly be. No way in heck it would've been $200.

Yup. I think people are plain misinformed for expecting less than $250. Hell, $250 is the absolute low end of what I was expecting. They're comparing apples and oranges when fantasizing about sub $250 pricing.

I hope this rumor is true.

Agreed! Though it could be possible that the bundle is labelled differently. I worked at a Microsoft store for a bit and found that most of their pre-order products were a pain to find. We'd have one "base" SKU that was a specific memory size and color, and the rest were under gibberish.

I wonder if there won't be any second SKU after all. LKD did clarify her bundle rumor (in her extended and revised deep dive post) to mean that a Splatoon bundle might be offered only by GAME themselves and not as a formally offered bundle at all retailers. (I agree a Splatoon pack-in would be a terrific idea, though!)

I'm now beginning to doubt that there will be a "deluxe" SKU at launch. I used to think it was a definite, but part of me thinks that Nintendo might want to just keep things simple. I guess we'll have to see!

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Hopefully they're not going with a base/premium sku again.

That's shits annoying and just makes more hassle with preorders and people not getting the version they want.

Nintendo has traditionally had one sku at launch (maybe different across regions) other than Wii U and having two color options for GameCube.

Scrawnton

I'm betting there won't be a second SKU. $250 for the system and Joy Con Grip and you choose the game to buy is the best option.

Who cares about a second SKU what are yall possible gonna get in a second sku? Only so much flash storage you gonna put in it and there dont need to be a bundled game go buy whatever game you want

Well, both of their competitors charge for online, so it wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo didn't feel like they were leaving money on the table by not pursuing it themselves. Having said that, I think there are two big counter-reasons against it.

1.) Nintendo absolutely lacks the credibility to charge for this kind of service. They have a lot of good will to build up before they get laughed out of the room for trying to charge for a premium service.

2.) I don't necessarily think that having to pay for a subscription service to play games online fits as well with a family-focused console as it does with enthusiast-focused hardware. People that want to play Call of Duty or Halo online might just take for granted that you have to pay to play online, but I don't think that people expect to have to pay to play Mario Kart online. For many of Nintendo's core titles, competitive online play isn't even a focus a lot of the time.

I'm still betting on the deluxe bundle not just being a pack in game
Eshop monies or voucher for a GC game or their new VC streaming service 👀
At least make the deluxe a different color or design like Zelda to cause chaos 😈

Everyone will buy Zelda , why some people think Nintendo will launch both Zelda and the new Mario on the same day is silly

Splatoon / Mario kart is there for multiplayer after people beat Zelda

hypotc

Just finished my bingo card:

gI8l0m.jpg

My girlfriend printed out your bingo card at work and laminated it. :D

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Well, both of their competitors charge for online, so it wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo didn't feel like they were leaving money on the table by not pursuing it themselves. Having said that, I think there are two big counter-reasons against it.

1.) Nintendo absolutely lacks the credibility to charge for this kind of service. They have a lot of good will to build up before they get laughed out of the room for trying to charge for a premium service.

2.) I don't necessarily think that having to pay for a subscription service to play games online fits as well with a family-focused console as it does with enthusiast-focused hardware. People that want to play Call of Duty or Halo online might just take for granted that you have to pay to play online, but I don't think that people expect to have to pay to play Mario Kart online. For many of Nintendo's core titles, competitive online play isn't even a focus a lot of the time.

To add one:

3). They're launching mid generation and a lot of gamers already have one of the others and are paying for PS+/Gold. Having to pay for another online service is another obstacle for fence sitters thinking about picking up a secondary platform.

Anth0ny

Obe1s new leak is his source said "Nintendo won't charge for online at launch"

Obe1 said his source left it at that so to him he thinks his source was implying you'll be paying for internet after that or there will be an optional paid version of online.

won't at launch? so they will later? lolwat

I was just expecting it at launch, straight up. Nintendo always gotta complicate shit.

So guys/gals, let's talk day one for the heck of it. What do you plan on picking up out of what we've seen rumored? If there's only one SKU for the Switch, will that change your plans?

For me, I absolutely would have bought the "deluxe" SKU if it had a game like Splatoon and more memory. If there's only one SKU, I'll probably skip Splatoon at launch as I just didn't find myself playing online that much. I'd go for:

- Switch console
- Zelda: BoTW
- 3D Mario
- Pro controller

If we have a "Deluxe" bundle, I'd skip on the Pro controller at launch.

I also really wanted the new Zelda Amiibo, but I just don't find myself motivated anymore. I don't take them out of the box and they've been dropping in price left and right. It just seems better to wait.

Belker

Does anyone know if Nintendo is continuing with its policy of asking Let's Players to give them a share of monetisation across all their youtube videos, not just Nintendo ones? I'd also like to know what the situation is with Twitch, but I've not been able to find anything.

When I play games I like to stream, so if I'm unsure about whether I should will affect my decision to buy the Switch or not.

maxcriden

Mario X Rabbids is rumoured to not be at launch anymore.

Forgive me if I'm misremembering, but I thought it more of an up in the air, "one of our sources is saying it" sort of thing?

I think launch may be the best positioning the game could have. Especially if there's no 3D Mario at launch (I still find it very unlikely we'd get that and Zelda day one, though I'd be thrilled to be wrong).

Which is good because no one would buy it if Zelda is at launch.

I'm not sure the two have an identical audience, though. Surely that game has a harder time going against a straight up Mario game than it does against Zelda?

newarrior

I wonder if Nintendo would spread out 13 first party games over 12 months. 7 new (launch with Zelda), 6 remasters (launch of Splatoon) -- give us one a month, switching (heh) between new and remasters. Would that be enough first party content for most people for a year?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPFr-9tggWq/

Who is this guy and how does he have one

Looks like the same 3D printed one Etika had made.

Does anyone know if Nintendo is continuing with its policy of asking Let's Players to give them a share of monetisation across all their youtube videos, not just Nintendo ones? I'd also like to know what the situation is with Twitch, but I've not been able to find anything.

When I play games I like to stream, so if I'm unsure about whether I should will affect my decision to buy the Switch or not.

This is a thing?

Regiruler

To add one:

3). They're launching mid generation and a lot of gamers already have one of the others and are paying for PS+/Gold. Having to pay for another online service is another obstacle for fence sitters thinking about picking up a secondary platform.

I think you're overstating the importance of this. We don't know what the landscape will be like in a year.

hope they dont charge online , just maybe keep online free but put like a subcristion you get discount on game , free game each month like ps plus etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom