• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
lmaooo c'mon you guys are taking crazy pills if you seriously think Hayashida and Nintendo are making their next 3D mario game an endless runner. You can even see Mario begin to stop at the end of the posted gif. i know we are slow on the news but we have got to find something more interesting to discuss

I never said endless runner. Even the app courses aren't endless.

If it is some sort of runner (which is mere speculation) you would obviously be able to go left and right. I would just fill better if we saw a clip of Mario stopping and turning around. Not trying to stir up some shit, but I think it's possible.
So you think this game is similar to when you fall in lava in 3D mario games and cant control yourself for a short period of time but in this game its the whole time? lol

maxcriden

Is anyone expecting much software wise? To be honest I am lowering my expectations. It seems most of the launch software has already been leaked or shown, and I am not sure if Nintendo is going show much beyond the launch, maybe a couple of holiday titles.

- Zelda:BOTW switch version has been shown, although off screen. I am looking forward to the new trailer though

- Super Mario Switch: already been briefly shown, very excited for the full reveal

- NBA game. Don't really care about that

- Skyrim: good game to have on the console

- Splatoon 1.5

- Mario Kart 8.5

- Pokémon Stars

- Rumoured Xenoblade Chronicles X switch version (???)

I think it's possible we see Pokémon and XCX, yeah. LKD also mentioned I think that the "weird new IP" she and others have discussed will be shown. I expect we could see glimpses of Pikmin as well. We should see those Ubi titles mentioned. I also expect some western 3P games. A few more than people are anticipating.

I feel like they need to show Mario and one more Switch game that has zero ties to Wii U. Launch softwares is okay with Zelda and Wii U ports, but we need to know the real Switch software is coming.

I agree with you, completely.

To be honest, if launch mostly consists of just souped up Wii U games and a new MARIO game, then I have to question what the heck has Nintendo been doing for the last 2 years...

FWIW, the latest rumor says Zelda at (NA) launch which to me makes Mario look less likely.

I'm really interested to see what the Switch minigame collection will look like. That will indicate what kind of gameplay Nintendo envisions for the platform.

Do you think they'll definitely go with one this time? I figured the team working on that is working on Splatoon and on the "weird new IP."

DO NOT expect any secret game at launch that is not Zelda and other Wii U ports. That's what we're getting and it's insane to expect any surprise announcements for launch.

I wouldn't say it's insane. If oti xero is right about a minigame collection, launch is a good time for that. Certainly there's not much precedent for entire launch lineups being leaked in advance for Nintendo systems, I don't think. So I believe there's a chance one or more titles we don't know about will come at launch.

So hopefully enhanced ports aren't full price. Maybe 40 or 50? And new games 60?

A man can dream! Honestly, I'd be A-ok with having Zelda at launch instead of Mario. In that case I'd have to go with Zelda + Splatoon unless they've got something else up their sleeves. Mario Kart 8 at launch would feel amazing to me. That's the perfect game to play during breaks from BoTW.

There's plenty of precedent for charging full price here. Many remastered games add little to nothing new, so I don't see Nintendo going lower than $60... However, I would love to see them offer a discount to current Wii-U owners who bought games like Splatoon already.

Yep, I hear ya! All of those would be pretty neat, though I am most interested in Mario and Zelda (of the games we've seen). I liked the idea of a Splatoon (or MK) pack-in just because that's not the kind of game I'm jumping to pay full price for day one usually.

Regarding pricing, with Splatoon and MK at least seeming to be somewhere between ports and full sequels, I do expect they'll be no lower than $50.

I thought it was already confirmed to not be a launch title?

Nintendo has not confirmed time frames for any games. The latest rumor is Zelda day one JP/NA, day maybe delayed EU.

Guys... I'm just saying it looks entirely possible based on the above posted gif. I seriously hope that's not the case.

The rumors we have indicate it will be a 3D Mario game with more exploration than the 3D Land/World titles had. It's now looking much less likely for it to hit day one.

-

The tweets are from January 3rd.

Ok. Thanks. So, same as the stuff in the article. You feel like she's saying it's a sure thing it won't hit launch?

Cartho

It's clearly not a 3D runner. Even Nintendo aren't that dumb.

It would be utterly hilarious if it was though. Can you imagine the meltdown?

Tom Nook

Is your Target Switch ready?

13c1bb1f29f54ac5b3c8e9cafd982ab2.jpg

Neoxon

Is anyone expecting much software wise? To be honest I am lowering my expectations. It seems most of the launch software has already been leaked or shown, and I am not sure if Nintendo is going show much beyond the launch, maybe a couple of holiday titles.

- Zelda:BOTW switch version has been shown, although off screen. I am looking forward to the new trailer though

- Super Mario Switch: already been briefly shown, very excited for the full reveal

- NBA game. Don't really care about that

- Skyrim: good game to have on the console

- Splatoon 1.5

- Mario Kart 8.5

- Pokémon Stars

- Rumoured Xenoblade Chronicles X switch version (???)
I'd swap Pokémon Stars with Smash 4 Switch.

maxcriden

The 3d Mario footage does look like a 3d runner, indeed. Especially the camera position. But I hope it's just what Nintendo picked and not how the game will be.

This has been my concern from the jump. That camera position. But, some posters wisely argued against it being a concern, over in the Mario community OT:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=224567178&postcount=400

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=224578539&postcount=404

Those posts alleviated my concerns a bit, but I did definitively have them....

Richie

you guys think BotW could be F2P?

I could see some of the shrines being $0.99 each

The Switch itself is gonna be F2P. You saw how when Reggie undocked it at the Fallon Show he had to take care of a prompt in the screen? That was a pop-up from his bank account!

(mat)

If it is some sort of runner (which is mere speculation) you would obviously be able to go left and right. I would just fill better if we saw a clip of Mario stopping and turning around. Not trying to stir up some shit, but I think it's possible.

It's not still possible. In this clip (I've linked to a timestamp, may not work on mobile 2:25), Mario is standing still for an extended period of time. Sorry, Costanza. You can't win this one.

Yep, I hear ya! All of those would be pretty neat, though I am most interested in Mario and Zelda (of the games we've seen). I liked the idea of a Splatoon (or MK) pack-in just because that's not the kind of game I'm jumping to pay full price for day one usually.

Regarding pricing, with Splatoon and MK at least seeming to be somewhere between ports and full sequels, I do expect they'll be no lower than $50.

I absolutely agree on the pricing! We've seen too many "remasters" that barely add new content yet retail for $60, these are different. I stated in a different response that I would love to see some kind of loyalty offer for Wii-U owners. Maybe an automatic discount if you owned the digital versions of Splatoon or Mario Kart. Not saying I expect it, but that would go a long way in terms of goodwill for existing fans.

RM8

Those levels don't look like they were designed for a runner, though. And the question would be why it needed to be a runner, it's not an iPad game.

maxcriden

That's a realistic confirmation list of games for Switch. I not expecting "out of nowhere" games like Waverace or Earthbound.

I hope the final game they will show is Mario.
Please be like Galaxy.

No "out of nowhere" games at all? Where's the fun in that? ^^

It hadn't occurred to me, but you're right - the entire motion throughout the brief clip is in a straight line.

However, there look to be interactable elements on the sidelines in the first shot suggesting a hub, so I'm going to go with no.

I agree with you. I hope. I really think I do. Plus those Emily/Laura/whoever rumors about hub world et al./some SM64 similarities are reassuring.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Whatever you feel about Splatoon and Mario Kart 8 ports being at full price

But at least they aren't hiding the Splatoon Port behind a "Infinite Squids in Space" game.

Even if Infinite Squids in Space would probably still be awesome.

maxcriden

I absolutely agree on the pricing! We've seen too many "remasters" that barely add new content yet retail for $60, these are different. I stated in a different response that I would love to see some kind of loyalty offer for Wii-U owners. Maybe an automatic discount if you owned the digital versions of Splatoon or Mario Kart. Not saying I expect it, but that would go a long way in terms of goodwill for existing fans.

Yeah, a loyalty discount of some kind would be absolute tops. (Though I realize I sold my MK8 and never bought Splatoon - so I wonder how they could apply it to those who bought the game physically but not digitally - would they really punish the physical crew?) That's the kind of thinking, in my parenthetical I mean, that leads me to believe it may be less likely. But I dunno. Maybe they can check with old CN data somehow.

Anyway, yeah. Nintendo is good about charging reasonable prices for great remasters. The enhanced port is nothing new for them (SMA line for example) but I think what will be less common territory here is how much content is rumored to be in for these ports. That should add a lot to their perceived value and lessen complaints of "charging full price for a port," though we'll still get those, of course. ^^

Yes, that's been pointed out to me. Still a possibility of it being a linear 3D platformer though. I don't want that, but I think it's possible based on what little footage we've seen.

If you consider Laura Kate Dale to be credible, and they have proven themselves quite well through the Switch reveal/surrounding info, then it's worth noting once more that they've indicated it will not consist of only linear levels:

The title will apparently feature a 3D open world hub from which different worlds can be selected, with multiple objectives to complete in each, much like Mario 64 or Mario Galaxy. This may seem obvious, but we share this information to specify that this will not be a Super Mario 3D World-style game where the action is in 3D, but each stage is a linear path designed to be completed a single time.

The multiplayer teased in the trailer will be a co-op version of the main game, with both players able to work together toward objectives, but with a form of tether to keep the players from going too far from each other. Player two’s gameplay will not hold player one back from progress, but player two can be the one to complete an objective and be shown as receiving the level end reward. A screen will then show how much of the progress toward that success was down to each player, like how many red coins each player collected in a red coin stage.

This Mario title has a demo in development ready for press to play in January 2017.

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/...launch-splatoon-pack-in-no-march-wii-u-zelda/

BTW, I can't tell - are you equating "endless runner" with "linear platforming"? To me, the two are very different from one another.

javac

It's not still possible. In this clip (I've linked to a timestamp, may not work on mobile 2:25), Mario is standing still for an extended period of time. Sorry, Costanza. You can't win this one.

That's just the start of the course, once you tap the screen he starts running and just like life itself he never stops, until he dies.

LordKano

Yes, that's been pointed out to me. Still a possibility of it being a linear 3D platformer though. I don't want that, but I think it's possible based on what little footage we've seen.

I think it's possible the game is actually a GTA-like with Mario killing mexican dudes and fucking with prostitutes before running away from the cops, based on the footage. Is my opinion not completely dumb though ?

Javier

Whatever you feel about Splatoon and Mario Kart 8 ports being at full price

But at least they aren't hiding the Splatoon Port behind a "Infinite Squids in Space" game.

Even if Infinite Squids in Space would probably still be awesome.
Did you see the new hairstyles? Splatoon is obviously a fashion game now.

CCIE

Banned
New to this thread, but I have a lot of hope for Switch. Most of my gaming is done on the phone these days so a hybrid console has a TON of appeal to me. Probably quite a few gamers as well.

I have no idea what is going on in this thread - it's HUGE. But can someone bring me up to speed? Nintendo reveal event soon? Also, my first gaming love will always be Nintendo, so here is to a great comeback for them.

oti

Banned
Do you think they'll definitely go with one this time? I figured the team working on that is working on Splatoon and on the "weird new IP."

Yep.

Think about it:

- LKD posts the rumour about Mario X Rabbids with this piece of information

Part of the planned press demo includes the JoyCons vibrating to imply a Rabbid jumping into and out of them from the TV or handheld screen. The idea is to imply your system is infested with Rabbids, and that they could at any time jump out of your controller and interfere with gameplay.

No way this is just your typical rumble we know from other controllers and no way would Nintendo put this into their system and not use it. I feel like this will play a huge role in the Switch identity. You can use this stuff for mini games and for larger games such as Zelda. Actually, remember the noise meter in BoTW? What if there are stealth sections and the Joy-Con vibrate according to the noise you make or something like that? It could be really cool.

- Just Dance uses Motion Controls

Again, no way in hell would Nintendo put motion controls in the Joy-Cons just for Ubisoft to use them for Just Dance. Going back to Zelda, why is Link right-handed again? Only times that has happened were for motion enabled Zelda games. This time it must be optional though since we've seen them play it without motion controls and it must work in handheld mode.

- It's a tablet

Nintendo could do tons of stuff with a truly independent tablet controller.

There's a lot of hardware functionality here that Nintendo can show off with a proper mini game collection. This is just me writing my own narrative here, but it makes sense
TO ME!.

Richie

New to this thread, but I have a lot of hope for Switch. Most of my gaming is done on the phone these days so a hybrid console has a TON of appeal to me. Probably quite a few gamers as well.

I have no idea what is going on in this thread - it's HUGE. But can someone bring me up to speed? Nintendo reveal event soon? Also, my first gaming love will always be Nintendo, so here is to a great comeback for them.

Welcome aboard! Yeah there's kiiiind of a big deal coming up this week, this thread and this one will bring you up to speed.

Thursday at 8pm pst there is a online presentation.

javac

It's going to be a endless runner but you'll still be able to steer Mario via the use of the gyroscope. Blow into the mic in order to make him jump.

AdanVC

Holy shit now I'm legit scared the new Mario could be a 3D Runner. Since Nintendo loves to do stuff differently just for the sake of it, I can totally see them doing a 3D runner nooooooooooooo :'(

It's going to be a endless runner but you'll still be able to steer Mario via the use of the gyroscope. Blow into the mic in order to make him jump.

Linear 3D platformer would've been the more appropriate term. Again, I'm merely stating this is a possibility based on what little footage we've seen.

Piscus

"It's so important that we create a new system and pitch it with a focus on all the buttons and controls and capabilities that other systems have, PLUS the benefits of the portability while retaining all those same features.... let's make our flagship Mario game a 3D runner"

...I just can't see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom