• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonFrog

Is Persona 5 more or less likely than FFXV?

I'd say Persona 5 coming to Switch down the line is something I'd expect to happen. Perhaps it won't, but it is Atlus's modus operandi to put out a handheld Persona port.

My hope is that, going forward, Persona, say, 6 is day and date Switch/PS4 or Switch 2/PS5. That's the potential of the hybrid right there.

If the January event doesn't reveal any new games made by Japanese developers I'm gonna flip :p

Same. I'll also be very worried for Switch's future. A lot is riding on it finding success in Japan. Nintendo needs Japanese consumers unlike Sony or MS.

One question I have is .. we keep seeing that Nintendo is working with third parties and they are impressed or intrigued by what they see.

I am wondering if that entails them making the API easier to use for third parties. I cant imagine porting from x86 to ARM is going to be easy. I am wondering if Nintendo / Nvidia is working on making that easier somehow?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I kinda of wonder if a tour plans on putting person a on switch, basically every "SMT" game is on a Monte do console in some way, the only one that's missing rally is persona

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Just got a 3ds.
It's amazing how many disjointed systems there are.

Miitomo miis. Wiiu miis. 3ds miis.
Silver coins. Gold coins. Miitomo coins. Play coins.
Nintendo account. My Nintendo. Pokemon trainer account.

Themes. Badges. Mii accessories in 3ds. In miitomo. Room decorations. Amiibo.

Miitomo friends. 3ds friends. Wiiu friends.

Miitomo missions. Nintendo missions. In game achievements.

Miiverse. Swapnote. Miitomo answer central.

All of these systems are fine but they are so disjointed and there's very little synergy...

Switch has to fix this....

You've listed a bunch of apples and oranges, with a mix of grapes and bananas. Why are Miis seperated into three for example?

We already know going forward that MyNintendo is the main Nintendo account system.

One question I have is .. we keep seeing that Nintendo is working with third parties and they are impressed or intrigued by what they see.

I am wondering if that entails them making the API easier to use for third parties. I cant imagine porting from x86 to ARM is going to be easy. I am wondering if Nintendo / Nvidia is working on making that easier somehow?

The porting process from x86 to ARM alone is supposedly incredibly easy. Optimization to the new platform will be where the major work goes into ports.

sphinx

the piano man
I need your help GAF,

Emily said a while ago that Switch will barely be on par with X1 powerwise, if at all.

Nvidia man says PS4/X1 ports to switch is simple a task (as in, feasible, unless we are into some mental gymnastics)

who is right??

guek

Banned
I need your help GAF,

Emily said a while ago that Switch will barely be on par with X1 powerwise, if at all.

Nvidia man says PS4/X1 ports to switch is simple a task (as in, feasible, unless we are into some mental gymnastics)

who is right??

Due to modern architecture and current game development, they can both be right

Yep, this is exactly right. In order to receive and run a port the Switch doesn't need to be at XB1 or PS4 levels in raw power, especially if the ports are downgraded sufficiently. The real world performance will likely fluctuate between below and above XB1 levels depending on the game too, so it will be hard to tell what the real "power" of the Switch is compared to the other two.

sphinx

the piano man

Yep, this is exactly right. In order to receive and run a port the Switch doesn't need to be at XB1 or PS4 levels in raw power, especially if the ports are downgraded sufficiently. The real world performance will likely fluctuate between below and above XB1 levels depending on the game too, so it will be hard to tell what the real "power" of the Switch is compared to the other two.

that's all clear but I guess my question is....

let's say, SE announces a Switch version of Kingdom Hearts 3, day and date with the OG PS4/X1 counterparts.

is the Switch guaranteed to receive a downgraded version in one way or another?

let's say, SE announces a Switch version of Kingdom Hearts 3, day and date with the OG PS4/X1 counterparts.

Based on what we know now and what's been rumored, yeah I would say so.

guek

Banned

The only way it wouldn't is if the Switch were the lead dev platform but that's never going to happen. By the same token though, XB1 frequently gets "downgraded" versions of multiplats compared to PS4 due to the hardware performance difference.

sphinx

the piano man
Based on what we know now and what's been rumored, yeah I would say so.

The only way it wouldn't is if the Switch were the lead dev platform but that's never going to happen. By the same token though, XB1 frequently gets "downgraded" versions of multiplats compared to PS4 due to the hardware performance difference.

and this is when I feel like we here at GAF enter bizarro world.

.- why the hell would ANYONE (Devs, nintendo and us gamers) care for seriously donwgraded ports of anything in the first place? (not PS4->X1 but PS4->something worse)

.- why the hell are Take Two and Bethesda on board (to ANY capacity) when they despise weak hardware with a passion and have always disregarded nintendo'?

.- why the hell would the Nvidia guy even comment on something that is pure lies? I mean yeah he wants the thing to sell but there are many strong points to comment on to try to sell the product, did he need to go there? "Hey guys, ports are easy!! (but with serious compromises trollololol)"

.- Why the hell is that bullshit, baseless-speculation "leaked Switch dev kit?" thread still open?

.- Why would Ubisoft put BG&E 2 on Switch? if Nintendo paid for exclusivity, sorry to break it up to them, but it has less chances of success than Bayonetta for fucks sake.

I feel like several sources are at odds and we at GAF are being misled or donwright trolled by someone.

MoonFrog

I mean, it could happen. Not with KH I'd imagine, but perhaps other games.

Being Nintendo fans in a Switch thread, we tend to think of games we'd be getting from PS4 instead of the other way around and I think this makes sense to a certain degree: PS4 games are trapped on a non-handheld console or shared with a handheld console that sold like a home console, in Japan, whereas there isn't much interest in most 3DS games among corebox players in the west. That said, Switch makes it much easier to do a DQ XI and put out a PS4 version for the west. 3DS seems to be lead scenario design in that game and I'd imagine a hypothetical PS4/Switch DQXII could be lead platform Switch. So could, say, an SMT V attempting the west by going Switch/PS4 multiplatform.

.- why the hell would the Nvidia guy even comment on something that is pure lies? I mean yeah he wants the thing to sell but there are many strong points to comment on to try to sell the product, did he need to go there? "Hey guys, ports are easy!! (but with serious compromises trollololol)"

"It's easy to port stuff" doesn't mean "the performance is almost the same."

It just means the architecture isn't so exotic that it gets in the way of ports.

I think and ideal situation would be that the games would be mostly identical but 720p on the handheld. Not sure if that's exactly the case, but if it were then they'd still look pretty fantastic on such a small screen.

Roo

.- Why would Ubisoft put BG&E 2 on Switch? if Nintendo paid for exclusivity, sorry to break it up to them, but it has less chances of success than Bayonetta for fucks sake.
Not every game has to sell a lot to be "successful"
Sometimes it's also about portfolio diversity.

If they don't need that many units to be profitable while making your game portafolio bigger then that's more than welcome.

.- why the hell would ANYONE (Devs, nintendo and us gamers) care for seriously donwgraded ports of anything in the first place? (not PS4->X1 but PS4->something worse)

.- why the hell are Take Two and Bethesda on board (to ANY capacity) when they despise weak hardware with a passion and have always disregarded nintendo'?

.- Why the hell is that bullshit, baseless-speculation "leaked Switch dev kit?" thread still open?

I feel like several sources are at odds and we at GAF are being misled or donwright trolled by someone.
I think the BG&E source is wrong, but I believe in most other stuff.
The developers might see it as being powerful enough and the portability aspect opening doors to a wider audience than with Wii U which was just hardcore Nintendo fans.
Won't just be the worst version of the game, but a version that has a benefit no other system has->portability

Why did people play certain PS2 versions of games instead of XBOX or even GameCube versions?

Hell, why isn't everyone a PC gamer?

Dremorak

Banned

I would choose the switch version over ps4 for portability. You can't downplay that.

With the rumoured ballpark of Switch hardware it should be achievable for many Xbone/PS4 games to play on the 720p screen without much downgrading. God, if Nintendo really underpower this it's DOA.

Eliseo

Portability it's a huge thing You want it to believe it or not, I have a some friends that travels half of the year because of work and they wouldn't care if the games looks worse; They just wanted to play some games during the bus or on the plane.
I know it's impossible but I'd kill for some witcher 3 on the go even if it has the lowest resolution it has on PC.

In regards to Rocket League switch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUxdHQXbiK0

One of the devs says:

at 13 mins in about cross platform play: "All 3 platforms..and eventually more should be able to play together"

Nintendo switch version slipup??!? ;)

If you take the beginning of his response into context, specifically at 11:55 where he say says "It doesn't matter if I buy...a PC, a Playstation or an Xbox", he's probably just talking about those platforms.

But by that same quote it sounds like they'd want it on every platform that fans are asking for. So let's do our thing and let them know!

I am going to LOVE the Switch for smaller indie games like this. It'll be the next generation of Vita in that way, IMO.

Any non-graphics intensive 3rd party games that comes out I'll probably prefer to get on the Switch (except for any major performance differences), but games like Stardew Valley or Yooka Laylee I'm 100% going to get on the Switch.

I hope Nintendo and other companies are able to go crazy with compilations too. I love having stuff like the Ratchet and Clank and Sly Cooper Collections on the Vita. If we can get stuff like Mass Effect 1-3, Mario Galaxy 1+2, Dead Space 1-3, etc. I would love it! Assuming that the Switch gamecards are large enough to fit all the games in series like that. If not, hopefully they can at least do Gamecube era collections.

50 million people don't seem to care that PS4 is giving them downgraded versions of PC games. They put up with it because it offers other benefits, like price and ease of setup. Switch has other benefits.

Hermii

Is there a chance battery life is going to be significantly better if you play less graphic intensive games? Like stardew valley for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom