• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plum

January 2013 was an emergency reaction to Wii U diving into death immediately post launch. Because there were no 1st party games comming post launch except for Pikmin 3. January 2013 Direct didn't tool the long term hype away. Wii U dying day by day did that. You have this terrible mixed up if you think the January 2013 Direct did something bad.

Exactly, it was an emergency reaction. There's no reason why Nintendo should do the same thing for the Switch because the situation is not the same. You are right, the 2013 Direct didn't negatively affect the Wii U's hype, it actually did its job quite well. However, by revealing so many far-off games it just exemplified the console's poor support and Nintendo's overall lack of readiness.

You've got to think in the long term. Nintendo is nowhere near an E3 2012 situation even if literally all we saw at the January Event was stuff we already know about. Revealing Q3/4 2018 and 2019 games in January would just put them in the exact same situation as with the January 2013 Nintendo Direct, a short-term boost that took a lot of long-term hype away from the console because so many of the Wii U's games came from that Direct.

Where are you getting late 2018 and 2019 announcements from my posts? I'm talking teases for a handful of early 2018 titles.

Plum

Where are you getting late 2018 and 2019 announcements from my posts? I'm talking teases for a handful of early 2018 titles.

Oh, sorry, I definitely do agree with that. Though only one will do, really, the launch lineup as is doesn't need bolstering too much.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Exactly, it was an emergency reaction. There's no reason why Nintendo should do the same thing for the Switch because the situation is not the same. You are right, the 2013 Direct didn't negatively affect the Wii U's hype, it actually did its job quite well. However, by revealing so many far-off games it just exemplified the console's poor support and Nintendo's overall lack of readiness.

But Wii U was lacking support and Nintendo wasn't ready. January event is no emergency event (I hope). It should show Switch, but it should also show that Nintendo is ready this time around. After 3ds and Wii U launch there is no default assumption that the console will be properly supported after launch, so Nintendo needs to show that it will.

That people buying in the first 3 months have much more to look forward to. This is not about the sales in March (which will be there more or less because is a launch), but also about April, May and June. Nintendo needs those great sales in those months to keep the launch momentum. Those are not easy post launch months, because it's not during holidays. E3 comes already too late for them, so Nintendo needs to launch with a bang, really. Otherwise it will end up in the situation of 3ds (if not Wii U) when Nintendo will need to be reactive to the situation instead of driving it.

EDarkness

But Wii U was lacking support and Nintendo wasn't ready. January event is no emergency event (I hope). It should show Switch, but it should also show that Nintendo is ready this time around. After 3ds and Wii U launch there is no default assumption that the console will be properly supported after launch, so Nintendo needs to show that it will.

That people buying in the first 3 months have much more to look forward to. This is not about the sales in March (which will be there more or less because is a launch), but also about April, May and June. Nintendo needs those great sales in those months to keep the launch momentum. Those are not easy post launch months, because it's not during holidays. E3 comes already too late for them, so Nintendo needs to launch with a bang, really. Otherwise it will end up in the situation of 3ds (if not Wii U) when Nintendo will need to be reactive to the situation instead of driving it.

I agree. The good part is that it feels like they'll have a lot of support out of the game. Even third party support. How long that lasts is anyone's guess. I think that if the NS can be part of the general third party lineups, then they shouldn't have to do too many reactionary events as there will be a lot of software coming for people to pick up.

I might not be able to afford a Switch with all the stuff coming to PlayStation next year, damn.
They better announce some great games that aren't remasters from the Wii U.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think that if the NS can be part of the general third party lineups, then they shouldn't have to do too many reactionary events as there will be a lot of software coming for people to pick up.

This is another argument towards starting with a bang. It feels like a lot of big publishers are putting 1-2-3 games at launch and then waiting to see the actual sales of the console before committing further.

Plum

The thing is that they already are, especially if you count rumours. Wii U ports are ports, yes, but to the majority of people who might want to buy the Switch they are brand new games. To most people the Switch will have a new Smash, Mario Kart, Zelda and more in those first 6 months; by the time those games released for Wii U (and in Zelda's case, get released) the console was already a no-go in many people's eyes. I just think people here on GAF are too stuck in their perspective which is leading them to think the Switch's launch lineup as we know right now is a lot worse than it actually is.

The thing is that they already are, especially if you count rumours. Wii U ports are ports, yes, but to the majority of people who might want to buy the Switch they are brand new games. To most people the Switch will have a new Smash, Mario Kart, Zelda and more in those first 6 months; by the time those games released for Wii U (and in Zelda's case, get released) the console was already a no-go in many people's eyes. I just think people here on GAF are too stuck in their perspective which is leading them to think the Switch's launch lineup as we know right now is a lot worse than it actually is.

I think most are fine with the launch lineup, but would like to see more to ensure we're not headed for another classic post-launch desert brought to you by Nintendo.

This would be a horrible strategy. It killed Wii U's momentum. Nintendo needs to show most, if not all, of their 2017 lineup and they need to tease 2018 content as well.

Save a couple announcements for E3 but go nuts with reveals in January.

Agreed. Sony does it, M$ does it. It works.

Show ANYTHING in development to create hype.

Servbot24

Banned
Alright, I'm waiting on buying a couple games just in case they get Switch versions:

-Dark Souls 3 DLC (I might wait until a complete edition comes anyway)

-DOOM

I see myself potentially double dipping on, say, Persona 5.

So, what about a Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite?

And Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy. There's been NO sign of the word "exclusive" in the slightest. Plus it's Vicarious and Activision. Vicarious made a whole line of Nintendo-exclusive Crash games on the GBA.

wonder if Ni no Kuni 2 will be coming to Switch seeing as there was that DS title.

Your thoughts on Danganronpa V3 ?

No Bloodborne 2 at PSX....pipe dream scenario....it's revealed at the Switch event lol....

Oh, you poor, poor souls. How many years have you been torturing yourselves now? Rather, how many decades?

None of this has any chance of happening. We're all going to buy Switch because Mario and Zelda look good, just like we do for every Nintendo console.

Plum

Oh, you poor, poor souls. How many years have you been torturing yourselves now? Rather, how many decades?

None of this has any chance of happening. We're all going to buy Switch because Mario and Zelda look good, just like we do for every Nintendo console.

"A Bethesda open world on the NX has no chance of happening"

"From Software being mentioned by Nintendo at all when the NX is revealed has no chance of happening"

Lets wait and see before being needlessly cynical. This year should have shown people that "the way things are supposed to go" are not how things go a lot of the time.

MoonFrog

Hey Persona Portable has a history of happening! :p Unless the team goes full fanboy, Sony buys exclusivity, or the Switch flops as a portable in Japan, it has every reason to happen.

EDIT: Basically, P5P is low hanging fruit as far as support is concerned. If we are at all hopeful about the device, it is a distinct possibility.

Terrell

It's like we need an inverse version of the infamous Wii U chalkboard meme, at this point. So many things that would "never happen" according to people on GAF already have.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
It's like we need an inverse version of the infamous Wii U chalkboard meme, at this point. So many things that would "never happen" according to people on GAF already have.

WAit
What?!

I think many will get disappointed in january if they enter the event hoping for unexpected turning points in third party relationships

DMONKUMA

We can't rule that out yet since some impossible things have happen being announced , especially today with TLOU part 2 and unfortunately Knack 2.

Though I also wouldn't be super positive or confident that every third party game getting recently announced would be on the Switch.

May never know.

LordKano

WAit
What?!

I think many will get disappointed in january if they enter the event hoping for unexpected turning points in third party relationships

And I think many will get disappointed (or rather surprised, in that sense ?) if they expect the same third party relationship as for the late Wii U years. Everything has pointed that it will be different at least at the start.

Matbtz

If BG&E2 is a thing (which I believe it is), then it will be shown and that's a 2018 game the earliest.

There's no way Nintendo only shows launch window games. They know the stakes and I believe Kimishima will show this whole year and atleast a game or two next year.

I'm not saying he's doing full reveals at the event, but they can do a teaser or a small trailer for Retros game with a full reveal at E3 kind of thing.

This. I believe too that they will show all of their launch window games but glimpse/teaser of other games in development for late 2017/early 2018. Not much, just small teasers that will tell don't worry we have games, those 3rd party support and switch will have this IP, this one and this one...

PSX was great, I won't go port begging for Ni No Kuni 2 and the Crash Trilogy even though they aren't listed as exclusives but I do hope Marvel vs Capcom 3 is there launch day one for Switch, could really do with a great fighter on day one.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I'm waiting for Half Life 2 to release on Switch before I finally play it.

Retrobox

Again, discussions about Nintendo and third parties get strange fast

It's like mentioning Nintendo and third-parties in the same sentence activates some special part of the brain and it all goes downhill from there.

This should be studied honestly. Maybe every person is born with a section of the brain specifically made for this topic and we haven't realised it yet!

PSX was great, I won't go port begging for Ni No Kuni 2 and the Crash Trilogy even though they aren't listed as exclusives but I do hope Marvel vs Capcom Infinite* is there launch day one for Switch, could really do with a great fighter on day one.
*FTFY

Me too! It's clear this is a game meant for the West, and the Switch has a sore need for a breadth of genres so far. It'd also be good to have something else *NEW* announced for it.

But yeah, I have no hope for better 3rd party relations at all. An old, gimped port of a rerelease is the main thing people point to as the turning point for 3rd party releases and I just don't buy it right now.

Pasedo

Been busy so I'm not up to date with the technical capability analysis out there in the other threads but is it supposed to be easy to Port AAA 3rd party games across to Switch and can we expect smooth 60 fps game play? As long as resolution is decent I'd rather the smoother game play.

Plum

But yeah, I have no hope for better 3rd party relations at all. An old, gimped port of a rerelease is the main thing people point to as the turning point for 3rd party releases and I just don't buy it right now.

And the long list of confirmed 3rd Party developers and publishers. And the accounts from multiple CEOs and major industry players that the Switch is great. And the fact that that "old gimped rerelease" is one that NOBODY thought would be on a Nintendo console ever.

Matbtz

I wasn't much aware of Ni no Kuni IP since few weeks and was wondering if you think a switch version could be possible ? Level 5 and bandai namco have good relationship with Nintendo in general and I found that the first one came out on DS.

Would love to see it since I'm in love with ghibli's work.

*FTFY

Me too! It's clear this is a game meant for the West, and the Switch has a sore need for a breadth of genres so far. It'd also be good to have something else *NEW* announced for it.

Isn't Infinite listed for a holiday release? UMVC3 comes to PC and Xbox One in March, perhaps even on the same day Switch comes out.

Eliseo

WAit
What?!

At this point it feels like you really WANT for it to happen so you can be "OMG GUYS I TOLD YOU SO"

Crash absolutely has a chance of happening. Activision has already published numerous titles from the IP on Nintendo platforms.

And I also think Persona 5 is very likely, though not for quite awhile.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
If the Switch is powerful enough to run PS4 games without having to be excessively downgraded, then that's the only way it gets AAA third party support. Over the next few years, devs are going to focus more and more on developing for Scorpio and PS4.5, meaning that PS4 and Xbone games will be downgraded versions. Devs aren't going to want to spend a lot of resources further downgrading their games to run on Switch.

Pasedo

If the Switch is powerful enough to run PS4 games without having to be excessively downgraded, then that's the only way it gets AAA third party support. Over the next few years, devs are going to focus more and more on developing for Scorpio and PS4.5, meaning that PS4 and Xbone games will be downgraded versions. Devs aren't going to want to spend a lot of resources further downgrading their games to run on Switch.

This is what I was also wondering. From what I understand every bit of time working on a game whether it's new development or porting costs significant money and if it isn't cost effective enough for a publisher it'll hinder the 3rd party support in which case if I don't see my AAA 3rd party games on Switch Id still be forced to fork out for another platform. Being positive here though and hope Ninty learnt from the Wii U and has created a way to make porting cost effective for publishers.

I mean don't get me wrong. I love Nintendo games but I'm more excited about the idea of a mobile form factor that has proper non touch controls that can give you full AAA gaming experiences. The PS Vita was supposed to have promised this and as good as Killzone Mercenary was it was still a very watered down console experience.

LordKano

You asked and you shall receive.
1480806758-sans-titre-3.png

Kebiinu

Banned
What are the chances of MvC: Infinite on the Switch? I have a PS4, but the thought of having a portable console fighter like MvC is almost a dream. It's not exclusive by any means, and Nintendo has a good relationship with Capcom...perhaps after the XBox/PS4 release?

What are the chances of MvC: Infinite on the Switch? I have a PS4, but the thought of having a portable console fighter like MvC is almost a dream. It's not exclusive by any means, and Nintendo has a good relationship with Capcom...perhaps after the XBox/PS4 release?
Why would it be after the other systems release?

Sadist

Capcom did publish Tatsunoko vs. Capcom on Wii (that game rocked) and Super Street Fighter IV 3D on 3DS.

Anything is possible.

EDarkness

This is one of the slowest gens for major games, people want games and classics are easy to prop up and a hype cycle will make anything sound great.

Old games are a lot easier to rerelease. Making new games is a lot harder and takes more time. It's pretty crazy the amount of remakes and remasters going on these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom