• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Yes, exactly. I'd like this system to have every Nintendo system eventually playable on it. I know Wii U won't be possible at first because of the power, but I'd hope that once Switch is powerful enough (maybe Switch iteration number 2 or 3), we'll also see Wii U for the games that don't get ports. Then again, I'm not sure how they'd handle games that actually used the GamePad for asynchronous multiplayer or a game like Star Fox Zero.
Wii U games on the Switch could probably all be enhanced ports.

GC is a good step. I'd also like Sega systems back. Dreamcast would be awesome too!

YES

Playing authentic OG Dreamcast games (so long as they're properly preserved) would honestly outdo having just ports of the now years-old HD ports Sega did, IMO.

Just the novelty of having LEGIT Dreamcast games would be so fucking cool. Saturn I can see being next to impossible unless they (M2?) master Saturn emulation... which I think had 2 CPUs and GPUs going by Wikipedia, must be IMPOSSIBLE to do, despite how far we've come I assume.

Hell seemingly Sega lost a lot of their Saturn-era source codes IIRC, someone on GAF mentioned HOD1 was one of them (surely why it wasn't in HOD2&3R on Wii), and reverse-engineering assets, even from the original hardware straight isn't so easy maybe.

To clarify, I don't think they "lost" the codes as in they left them in their other pants, but more like the old storage units are virtually nontransferable to modern media.

Take DKC for instance, Tim Stamper himself confirmed to DKVine that they had to literally screencap assets from the SNES originals for the GBA ports/remakes since they could not read the old files.

http://www.dkvine.com/features/stamped_dkcgba.html

"The original assets were on old floppy discs, only some of which were found, and those who were, we battled to make head or tail of the obscure file formats and the random frames of animation spread across the various discs."

"The art was lots of fun and games; let's just say it couldn't have been done without emulators. [...] The artists sat with SNES emulators, stepping through the game one frame at a time with various sprite/background layers toggled and taking screenshots. Most of the backgrounds were redone from scratch, to look as best as possible in the colour palette & scale/resolution of the GBA screen.

"[...] I remember [we put] a lot of extra detail into smoothing out the character animations; finding frames from other moves he could put between certain animation sequences to get rid of jerking/snapping. A lot of it you wouldn't notice unless you're looking out for it though!"

No threads based on tweets. Wait for the article to appear.

Did it anyway (missed this post), I thought it was only on tweets based on insiders that weren't alright but ones on writers were good (I mean we'd have made a thread on the upcoming article anyway)? Unless I missed something.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Did it anyway (missed this post), I thought it was only on tweets based on insiders that weren't alright but ones on writers were good (I mean we'd have made a thread on the upcoming article anyway)? Unless I missed something.
Should be fine.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

The last threads done based on tweets were locked. But maybe Tom being from Eurogamer it's fine. We'll see.

When the leaks come they come in a flurry lol. They really do coordinate with each other to bring a bunch of leaks at once!

They are our Triforce Heroes- Tom, Emily and Laura!

Pasedo

I wonder how good the Switch will be for Shooters and competitive online shooters. With that esports team scene in their reveal trailer it's suggesting it's designed for this. Currently I play shooters on PC. I wonder if this can or will replace it???

weekev

Banned
Do we think there is gonna be a subscription service similar to ps+ or GWG? As a consumer I feel like I get great value from it, would be great to see it on a Nintendo platform.

Dehnus

It would make some games like Kid Icarus Uprising unplayable.

A "Wii U compatible mode!" which has you using the Switch while the Base Station keeps putting out a signal to the TV. The lower performance is not an issue, as it is still more than a Wii U would be able ot put out, and certainly more than a 3DS ;).

Considering the 3DS uses ARM as well, porting/emulating might be easier than we think ;). (Okay the GPU is majorly different, but it is a fixed function one in the 3DS, so that you can emulate quite easily on a GPU with shaders :)).

w0s

A "Wii U compatible mode!" which has you using the Switch while the Base Station keeps putting out a signal to the TV. The lower performance is not an issue, as it is still more than a Wii U would be able ot put out, and certainly more than a 3DS ;).

Considering the 3DS uses ARM as well, porting/emulating might be easier than we think ;). (Okay the GPU is majorly different, but it is a fixed function one in the 3DS, so that you can emulate quite easily on a GPU with shaders :)).

I don't think he questions the graphics but the controls.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Do we think there is gonna be a subscription service similar to ps+ or GWG? As a consumer I feel like I get great value from it, would be great to see it on a Nintendo platform.
If they model it off what PS Plus used to be, hell yeah I'd be all over that. If it's just an excuse to charge people for online mutipayer they can fuck right off. PS Plus as it is today is a massive ripoff. Before they charged for online multiplayer it was the best value for money subscription service I've ever seen. It was ridiculous. I'd love a sub service for Nintendo that was half as good as that.

Branduil

Anyway I imagine there will be ways to emulate the touch pad when playing a DS or 3DS game on the TV, such as using the pointer.

If they model it off what PS Plus used to be, hell yeah I'd be all over that. If it's just an excuse to charge people for online mutipayer they can fuck right off. PS Plus as it is today is a massive ripoff. Before they charged for online multiplayer it was the best value for money subscription service I've ever seen. It was ridiculous. I'd love a sub service for Nintendo that was half as good as that.

I think that the comparison should be EA stuff. Solely games (I think), not charging for playing online. And they give discount for games and have creat customer service.

Sony can go and stuff their system somewhere nasty and damp place. Microsoft too. I truly hope that Nintendo won't copy stuff from them.

Retrobox

How do you guys think Nintendo would handle memory card emulation on GC VC? Completely overhaul the system? Just auto-saving everywhere? Use the inserted SD Card as a dummy?

How do you guys think Nintendo would handle memory card emulation on GC VC? Completely overhaul the system? Just auto-saving everywhere? Use the inserted SD Card as a dummy?

Have any N64 games that use the controller pak been put on virtual console? If so I imagine it'll be like that.

Like Sony with the PS1 and PS2 by making the memory card virtual. This isn't really a problem at all.

Jackano

Wrapper that emulate the presence of a memory card and send the data into the game save data, nothing too hard.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Cuningas de Häme;226160034 said:
I think that the comparison should be EA stuff. Solely games (I think), not charging for playing online. And they give discount for games and have creat customer service.

Sony can go and stuff their system somewhere nasty and damp place. Microsoft too. I truly hope that Nintendo won't copy stuff from them.
Nintendo Access would be really good actually. They could have a large chunk of the Virtual Console library available as part of the subscription at least. Lets say every NES, SNES and N64 game from Nintendo should be part of the sub.

Switch is not a WiiU Gamepad, it can not send the screen image to the TV or the dock.

Pachimari

The online play better be free. And the Plus games have been very lackluster on PS4, so I don't know if I would want a similar rental system on Switch.

What are the thoughts on all these rumors? There's only so much I can handle! 😑

I'm very happy about the LPVG rumors (Dark Souls, dock AND tablet include fan) and I guess I'm content with the Gamecube VC rumor, but I think this might indicate that we won't see many Gamecube remasters which I was sorta hoping for.

Unless NERD's emulation allows Gamecube games to upscale nicely to HD resolutions, which I doubt.

LordKano

I'm very happy about the LPVG rumors (Dark Souls, dock AND tablet include fan) and I guess I'm content with the Gamecube VC rumor, but I think this might indicate that we won't see many Gamecube remasters which I was sorta hoping for.

Unless NERD's emulation allows Gamecube games to upscale nicely to HD resolutions, which I doubt.

Well, we got three N64 on remasters this gen, even though the N64 virtual console was on Wii U, so I don't think it will necessarily be a factor.

Well, we got three N64 on remasters this gen, even though the N64 virtual console was on Wii U, so I don't think it will necessarily be a factor.

Well, not HD remasters anyway, and not on the same platform that had said VC (N64 remasters were on 3DS right?). I guess having Gamecube VC doesn't preclude HD remasters at all, but I just feel like Nintendo will say- well they have those games anyway, why bother remaking them in HD?

MoonFrog

Tbh, I was not expecting the dock up-clock; didn't really care if it didn't happen, but if it does and performs well, then this rumor is quite awesome.

Icolin

Banned
Does anyone have any idea what the team that worked on ALBTW is working on? I think the most obvious followup to that game is a reimagining of Link's Awakening, but I'm unaware if maybe the staff has been split apart to assist multiple projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom