• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMONKUMA

Seems like an indie game from the appearance also she mentions it as a smaller project. Probabaly third-party developed.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Wtf. Seriously, is it a third party game? Why is she spoiling all the surprises??

Also, it's kind of Nintendos fault. It's very hard to keep secrets when the system is releasing in 4 months...

I mean, it doesn't *really* spoil the surprise too much since we still have no idea what the game is.

Once we get the info dump, then I'll feel ya on that point.

That game is based on that French guy's book, nicowaw is his Twitter thing.

Laura is clearly having a fit because Nintendo won't allow her to go to the grand reveal.

Nicowaw already said that there's something Switch related coming next week (maybe, don't remember that twwt now).

And if Laura has the whole trailer already on her PC, why not jsut post the whole thing? Instead he uses that kind of pics... Oh yeah, protecting her sources... How many people even has an access to that kind of material, in a small dev studio? Yep.

She should just stop these teases and write those longfrom stuff she wants to. Getting tiring. Let Eurogamer do the leaking, they got things covered and most likely the same sources, or close.

EDIT. There's a whole topic for that tease, and it is clear that it's the upcoming Seasons of Heaven game.

Maybe I've overreacted, but maybe the dev wanted Laura to do this little tease to get some hype and then they'll reveal the trailer themselves this week.

Jeez I missed a lot overnight!

I'm honestly shocked that NCL gave the okay to have the world debut of the Switch (and Switch gameplay) on Jimmy Fallon of all places. That's so unlike them, and frankly it's a great sign.

As for LKD, she's a journalist, she's breaking any and all news she can verify. That's her job. Blame Nintendo or the leaker if these leaks are upsetting you, not the messenger.

Metal B

I'm honestly shocked that NCL gave the okay to have the world debut of the Switch (and Switch gameplay) on Jimmy Fallon of all places. That's so unlike them, and frankly it's a great sign.
This means nothing. The also showed the Wii U on Jimmy Fallon. But he was as confused like anybody else, what the Wii U actually was. This time Nintendo sold there console much better to the audience.

This means nothing. The also showed the Wii U on Jimmy Fallon. But he was also confuse like anybody else, what the WiiU actually was. This time Nintendo sold there console much better to the audience.
Yep. How come so many of you guys forgot they showed the Wii U on Fallon's show?

The difference this time the Switch is easy to understand and just a better product.

This means nothing. The also showed the Wii U on Jimmy Fallon. But he was as confused like anybody else, what the Wii U actually was. This time Nintendo sold there console much better to the audience.

Wasn't the Wii U actually shown in person at E3 first though? I'm saying this is the first time ever that a real Switch has been shown in public to anybody. A working one, with guts and all.

Zedark

Cuningas de Häme;226227312 said:
That game is based on that French guy's book, nicowaw is his Twitter thing.

Laura is clearly having a fit because Nintendo won't allow her to go to the grand reveal.

Nicowaw already said that there's something Switch related coming next week (maybe, don't remember that twwt now).

And if Laura has the whole trailer already on her PC, why not jsut post the whole thing? Instead he uses that kind of pics... Oh yeah, protecting her sources... How many people even has an access to that kind of material, in a small dev studio? Yep.

She should just stop these teases and write those longfrom stuff she wants to. Getting tiring. Let Eurogamer do the leaking, they got things covered and most likely the same sources, or close.

EDIT. There's a whole topic for that tease, and it is clear that it's the upcoming Seasons of Heaven game.

Lol... clearly

Wtf. Seriously, is it a third party game? Why is she spoiling all the surprises??
Rubixcuba said:
Looks interesting. But seeming it was to be shown off in next few weeks, could have just waited for the surprise?
She's not out to ruin people's day by yelling at everyone about who killed who at the end of the latest Harry Potter. She's not PR for these companies.

Peltz

It's quite interesting how consistently positive the news have been. Ironically they aren't even official since everything is a leak lol.
People were too quick to doubt Nintendo. You can never really count them out.

They are surprisingly resourceful when their backs are against the wall.

The Switch appears to be marvelously engineered on par with the cutting edge design of the GameCube when it was new.

Before the Eurogamer rumors, no one would've guessed Nintendo would opt to make a handheld that nearly rivals the Xbox One in power.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Any chance for some big apps to appear on Switch? Spotify, Twitter, Facebook? Maybe a pdf reader?

Since I have all iOS devices sizes except iPad mini, I would love to see some support. Maybe down the road if it's highly successful.

any rumors/stats about how many launch units there will be? I'm trying to figure out how much work i'm gonna have to put it in to get one of these day one. hopefully it will be similar to the wii u launch! (in terms of it being easy to find, not sales!!)

any rumors/stats about how many launch units there will be? I'm trying to figure out how much work i'm gonna have to put it in to get one of these day one. hopefully it will be similar to the wii u launch! (in terms of it being easy to find, not sales!!)

They've said they plan to ship 2 million for the FY (meaning by the end of March 2017). But that number can (and hopefully will be) revised upwards if they see increased demand.

MacTag

Banned
Any chance for some big apps to appear on Switch? Spotify, Twitter, Facebook? Maybe a pdf reader?

Since I have all iOS devices sizes except iPad mini, I would love to see some support. Maybe down the road if it's highly successful.
I'd expect the big video streaming apps (Netlix, Youtube, Hulu, Amazon, Twitch, Crackle, HBO, Crunchyroll, Epix, Vudu, Showtime, etc) but not much else. Maybe some game oriented apps like Art Academy or SmileBASIC.

Sony seems to have Spotify locked down for some reason.

LordKano

Also, we're at 33 games now :
1481231347-we-switcheroooo.png

So in my daily musings I remembered a rumor from about a year ago that the NX was running this demo which was apparently impossible to run on anything but a high end PC:

-Several people who said who have seen a demo said what they saw is impossible to run on a computer without a “industry-leading” or “cutting-edge” chips. Cutting-edge in what way, they refused to elaborate.
Source

And I remembered that Todd Howard of Bethesda recently said something about a Switch demo that's under NDA:

What do you think of the Switch, Nintendo's newly announced console that is portable but also hooks up to your TV?
I love it. I got to play it. I will tell you – well, maybe that's an N.D.A. thing. One of the best demos I've ever seen. Probably the best demo I've ever seen. At E3.
Source

So, let's say that these two demos are the same thing, a tech demo running on the Switch. I'm not saying that the Switch will somehow get an enormous power boost to put it at high end PC levels, but consider the visuals Nintendo was able to get out of the Wii U, including those tech demos- the Zelda demo, the bird demo...

Now that Nintendo's software sorcerers have access to modern, cutting edge mobile tech, I wonder if they've actually managed to prepare a tech demo which does visually blow away the supposed limitations of the hardware. Something which takes maximum advantage of Tegra's capabilities, like FP16, to produce visuals that would seriously fool people who work in the game industry (like Todd Howard) into thinking the device was far more powerful than it is on paper.

I'm so damn excited for that January event guys...

EDIT: I'm starting to wonder if the reason the demos are so impressive to everyone is that they are running on this thin-ass tablet device. That could be the way in which this demo was "cutting-edge"

Dremorak

Banned
Good lord they should not have released that trailer. The frame rate drops so hard and it doesnt even look very good. Hooooo boy

So in my daily musings I remembered a rumor from about a year ago that the NX was running this demo which was apparently impossible to run on anything but a high end PC:

Source

And I remembered that Todd Howard of Bethesda recently said something about a Switch demo that's under NDA:

Source

So, let's say that these two demos are the same thing, a tech demo running on the Switch. I'm not saying that the Switch will somehow get an enormous power boost to put it at high end PC levels, but consider the visuals Nintendo was able to get out of the Wii U, including those tech demos- the Zelda demo, the bird demo...

Now that Nintendo's software sorcerers have access to modern, cutting edge mobile tech, I wonder if they've actually managed to prepare a tech demo which does visually blow away the supposed limitations of the hardware. Something which takes maximum advantage of Tegra's capabilities, like FP16, to produce visuals that would seriously fool people who work in the game industry (like Todd Howard) into thinking the device was far more powerful than it is on paper.

I'm so damn excited for that January event guys...

EDIT: I'm starting to wonder if the reason the demos are so impressive to everyone is that they are running on this thin-ass tablet device. That could be the way in which this demo was "cutting-edge"

I reckon he meant the hardware demo, when Nintendo showed the Switch for the first time to devs. Would make more sense.

But, if there's some secret sauce, yay.

Pasedo

Hey guys what do you think of the likelihood of this happening? Nintendo will sell the Switch tablet separately to lower cost and to address their direct hand-held market. They will also have a separate Sku which comes with the dock and perhaps a extra controller to address the home console market? If this is the case it makes me wonder if the dock does have something extra in it to show that additional value. Like perhaps it at least boosts the RAM and/or adds additional storage. Perhaps to play games on consoles there's an update it will need to download so it pumps out higher resolution textures. I'm thinking the dock has to cost some sort of penny if it helps to cut costs considerably in a tablet only SKU otherwise they wouldn't bother having 2 seperate Skus and bundle into one if there's no or very little cost savings.

Hey guys what do you think of the likelihood of this happening? Nintendo will sell the Switch tablet separately to lower cost and to address their direct hand-held market. They will also have a separate Sku which comes with the dock and perhaps a extra controller to address the home console market? If this is the case it makes me wonder if the dock does have something extra in it to show that additional value. Like perhaps it at least boosts the RAM and/or adds additional storage. Perhaps to play games on consoles there's an update it will need to download so it pumps out higher resolution textures. I'm thinking the dock has to cost some sort of penny if it helps to cut costs considerably in a tablet only SKU otherwise they wouldn't bother having 2 seperate Skus and bundle into one if there's no or very little cost savings.
Extremely unlikely. Switching from handheld to tv is the main gimmick, it's in the name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom