• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
They're not going to sell the tablet separately at least in the first year. That's pretty damn sure. The whole marketing is based on the fact that you can play the games while docked and then you can take it and play on the way.

The Switch could also easily refer to their switchable controller options. So still relevance as a stand-alone tablet Sku

Calling the controller options switchable is a huge stretch until we see other joycons that can be "switched" with the default ones. The correct word for now is "detachable". And it's not called Nintendo Detach.

So we're doing this again?

Switch is the console. Period. Dock is the add-on thing, to connect the Switch to TV. They'll probs sell the dock separately because people are lazy and want one for every TV in the house (on average it's 7,5 TVs per household*).

*This number was found under a rock in Uranus.

oti

Banned
Hey guys what do you think of the likelihood of this happening? Nintendo will sell the Switch tablet separately to lower cost and to address their direct hand-held market. They will also have a separate Sku which comes with the dock and perhaps a extra controller to address the home console market?

Nein.

Doubt they'll ever sell the tablet separately.

A strictly home unit - i.e. portable innards in traditional static console form factor - feels far more likely. Would enable a lower entry-point, and increase consumer options.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The dock doesn't even costs that much based on what's rumoured. What's the point of a tablet only SKU if it doesn't cut the price that much? Besides fucking up the USP.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
They're not going to sell you a Switch that is unable to "switch."
No, but it's entirely possible that they'll sell docks you can buy on their own. The idea being that you could have docks in multiple rooms in the same house. Living room tv occupied? Put the Switch in the dock that's in the bedroom instead. Could happen.

tsab

I am betting there are going to release a "handheld" switch version in the future (in the size of vita) once the platform it's established.

Once 3DS is dead

sorry for the slight off topic

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I am betting there are going to release a "handheld" switch version in the future (in the size of vita) once the platform it's established.

Once 3DS is dead

sorry for the slight off topic
Console only sku will happen first. In a couple years they'll release an entry level home console only switch. Think 2DS.

Cuningas de Häme;226286714 said:
I reckon he meant the hardware demo, when Nintendo showed the Switch for the first time to devs. Would make more sense.

But, if there's some secret sauce, yay.

?

The first quote explicitly says that the demo would be impossible to run on a computer without "industry leading chips". How can that be referring to a hardware demo?

I think the way Todd Howard quickly mentions the NDA means that he shouldn't have talked about that demo and just wanted to make it seem like he was referring to the concept, not the demo. I really think we're about to be blown away by some insane tech demo they've prepared.

Again, not that this thing will have any more raw power than we've been speculating, just that Nintendo software engineers taking advantage of modern hardware will be a thing of beauty.

Dang0

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but what do you think the likehood of features like Miiverse and Streetpass being in the switch are?

I got really into streetpass for a while (even though I eventually lost interest) so I would like it to come back but Nintendo pushing Switch as a console makes me think it probably wont be there. While I didn't spend as much time on Miiverse, I liked seeing all the art that came from there, but again, you'd need to have it in portable mode to use the touch screen.

Pasedo

The dock doesn't even costs that much based on what's rumoured. What's the point of a tablet only SKU if it doesn't cut the price that much? Besides fucking up the USP.

I dunno man. Nintendo are pretty good sometimes at fucking up their marketing and making it hard for customers to understand the USP, so this would be pretty normal lol.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
No, but it's entirely possible that they'll sell docks you can buy on their own. The idea being that you could have docks in multiple rooms in the same house. Living room tv occupied? Put the Switch in the dock that's in the bedroom instead. Could happen.

That's fairly likely. Tablet on it's own is much less so.. Maybe just for Japan/the east down the road if they find people aren't playing docked on TVs much over there.

Otherwise people that break their tablet will just have to buy a new bundle. I guess maybe Nintendo would sell replacement tablets directly through their warranty/service department, but I don't see a tablet only option on store shelves in the west.

Console only sku will happen first. In a couple years they'll release an entry level home console only switch. Think 2DS.

I could see this happening, but I feel like this will be much further down the line. Introducing a new device would hurt all the work they've done on simplifying the marketing for the consumers. I think they would much rather scale the tablet and dock first--consumers are already accustomed to upgrading their phones and tablets every couple years or so--and then introduce a version that only includes a home console.

spekkeh

Banned
Calling the controller options switchable is a huge stretch until we see other joycons that can be "switched" with the default ones. The correct word for now is "detachable". And it's not called Nintendo Detach.

SWITCH.gif

The controllers are the switch in the branding. Switching from tablet to pro controller to wiimote to multiplayer.

(to dock)

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but what do you think the likehood of features like Miiverse and Streetpass being in the switch are?

I got really into streetpass for a while (even though I eventually lost interest) so I would like it to come back but Nintendo pushing Switch as a console makes me think it probably wont be there. While I didn't spend as much time on Miiverse, I liked seeing all the art that came from there, but again, you'd need to have it in portable mode to use the touch screen.

Miiverse, 100%

Streetpass, no idea

Miiverse wasn't just about cool art or posting screenshots or even discussing the games. Some of the best things about Miiverse were it's integration in games like Deus Ex: HR, Zombi U, Resident Evil Revelations, and several first party games. Did any 3DS games have anything like that?

Reki

I would love for Streetpass to return, especially because it encourages taking the console with you in order to advance in the minigames. But they could or coudn't add it, I don't believe we have any hint about that.

About Miiverse I'm more confident. It's their social network, in which you can discuss with people that actually plays the same games as you (you can do the same in FB, for example, but not all your friends care about gaming). They can improve some features and make it work even with the console docked, the same way it worked in the Wii U.

Also, I agree, the art is amazing. They would be monsters if they don't implement Miiverse on Switch.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
SWITCH.gif

The controllers are the switch in the branding. Switching from tablet to pro controller to wiimote to multiplayer.

(to dock)

You take out the controllers when you dock the tablet, you put back the controllers when you undock. There was this "click" associated with that in the video, the same with the logo. You're stretching it a lot if you want to make this just about the tablet.

How likely do you guys think it is that we will see a Kid Icarus: Uprising HD port on Switch?

That game is woefully underappreciated both here and in the mainstream consciousness, and I think it could do gangbusters if marketed properly and if the controls work well enough. I know stylus aiming was super precise but as long as you increase the analog sensitivity enough I think dual analog aiming should work fine.

How likely do you guys think it is that we will see a Kid Icarus: Uprising HD port on Switch?

That game is woefully underappreciated both here and in the mainstream consciousness, and I think it could do gangbusters if marketed properly and if the controls work well enough. I know stylus aiming was super precise but as long as you increase the analog sensitivity enough I think dual analog aiming should work fine.

Do I think it's likely? No...

But... I can say with 100% certainty that I would buy that on day one. Uprising is probably my favorite 3DS game and I would love to see it in HD! The writing/acting alone make the game worthy of being saved.

Personally, I'm hoping for HD collections of 3DS games. There are too many great titles on 3DS that I don't want to see live and die on that platform. At the very least, I want to see HD versions of OoT and Majora's Mask 3D.

Do I think it's likely? No...

But... I can say with 100% certainty that I would buy that on day one. Uprising is probably my favorite 3DS game and I would love to see it in HD! The writing/acting alone make the game worthy of being saved.

Personally, I'm hoping for HD collections of 3DS games. There are too many great titles on 3DS that I don't want to see live and die on that platform. At the very least, I want to see HD versions of OoT and Majora's Mask 3D.

Yeah, Uprising really had some high quality production values. It was a very surprising gem to me.

We should definitely see OoT and Majora's Mask in the VC so I'm not sure 3DS ports are all that necessary. I think those games would need a bit of an extensive makeover to actually look good in native HD anyway.

leaks are ending, Laura Kate Dale is done looks like she had some bad experiences recently https://twitter.com/LaurakBuzz/status/807211423893962752

Yikes, hopefully she feels better. Leaking confidential info does sound quite stressful, and even moreso when people all over the internet attack you for doing so (or accuse you of lying). Although yesterday's leak did seem to be more of a planned leak for marketing purposes.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance

No idea if it'll happen, but if it does with regular, non-touch controls, there's an option to turn off voiced dialogue - don't know if you can on 3DS, but sorry, I hate what I heard of it -, the visual bump is respectable and the price is reasonable, I might get it.

... On second thought, I don't think it'll happen, at least not in the way I'd want it to.

However, I hope DKC Tropical Freeze will be ported at a budget price. It seems like a realistic bet, considering DKCR was ported to the 3DS.

Not sure how the game would play without the stylus. It couldn't have the same frantic pacing...

It's one of my favorite games of all time but it is highly tied to 3DS hardware.

Yeah, Uprising really had some high quality production values. It was a very surprising gem to me.

We should definitely see OoT and Majora's Mask in the VC so I'm not sure 3DS ports are all that necessary. I think those games would need a bit of an extensive makeover to actually look good in native HD anyway.

I guess it's just different tastes then. I don't think that OoT 3D would look any worse on a TV than the N64 version does. That and I would just prefer to play with some of the improvements they made.

What are your thoughts on the Virtual Console for Switch? It seems to be set that we'll get NES through Gamecube, but I'm curious to see if we'll also get Wii games. Wasn't there a Laura Kate Dale rumor that said Wii controllers might work with Switch?

Not sure how the game would play without the stylus. It couldn't have the same frantic pacing...

It's one of my favorite games of all time but it is highly tied to 3DS hardware.

Can't gyro and analog aiming, like in Splatoon, give you a similar amount of precision?

I guess it's just different tastes then. I don't think that OoT 3D would look any worse on a TV than the N64 version does. That and I would just prefer to play with some of the improvements they made.

What are your thoughts on the Virtual Console for Switch? It seems to be set that we'll get NES through Gamecube, but I'm curious to see if we'll also get Wii games. Wasn't there a Laura Kate Dale rumor that said Wii controllers might work with Switch?

I guess it would be interesting if they had those 3DS versions available on the VC. Assuming they are similar to the N64 versions that should be fairly easy to emulate, right? I guess I don't know what kind of work goes into that. But either the N64 or 3DS versions remastered in HD aren't likely to happen in my mind. At best we'll see them upscaled to HD, not rendered natively.

As for Wii VC, I could certainly see it happening, considering Dolphin can do Wii games based on Gamecube hardware. The joycons are rumored to have wii motion + esque motion controls and at least one IR sensor, so the games would certainly be playable.

Perhaps the IR sensor is actually more for Wii VC than it is to simulate touch inputs on the TV...

LordKano

Okay, it's now pretty much confirmed that Inazuma Eleven Ares is a Switch game, as...there's not really any other option.

Hino revealed first screens of the game (barely started development with no release date) :
XVAq9ma.png

M7ew9ba.png

As you can see, it can't really be a 3DS game with that level of graphics. So there was two options left : mobile and Switch. But it's not the former either as Hino showed a few minutes later that there will be a companion app on mobile, implying that the main game won't be one :
CzPPsqXXAAEQ76r.jpg

So there it is, you have one Level-5 game in development.

MoonFrog

Okay, it's now pretty much confirmed that Inazuma Eleven Ares is a Switch game, as...there's not really any other option.

Hino revealed first screens of the game (barely started development with no release date) :
XVAq9ma.png

M7ew9ba.png

As you can see, it can't really be a 3DS game with that level of graphics. So there was two options left : mobile and Switch. But it's not the former either as Hino showed a few minutes later that there will be a companion app on mobile, implying that the main game won't be one :
CzPPsqXXAAEQ76r.jpg

So there it is, you have one Level-5 game in development.
Sincerely hope so. Level-5 on board is something Nintendo needs. Can't afford to lose too much 3DS support to mobile imo.

Didn't somebody make a big deal about Level 5 not saying "We will have a game for Switch!"

I know somebody was making a big deal because when an interviewer asked Level 5 if they had a game for the Switch I think he said they're looking into it or something.

LordKano

Didn't somebody make a big deal about Level 5 not saying "We will have a game for Switch!"

I know somebody was making a big deal because when an interviewer asked Level 5 if they had a game for the Switch I think he said they're looking into it or something.

Yeah, it was one of the classic doomsayers.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I don't care about Inazuma Eleven, but I care about what this means for the system: the more handheld games it gets, the more likely it is to get a decent library of games, regardless of whether Western console developers make games for it or not.

Between this, DQXI and Monster Hunter XX (most likely), the Switch is really shaping up to get lots of Japanese games.

As I said before, this Inazuma Eleven Switch situation is hilarious to me. I'm seriously wondering what the reasoning behind keeping the platform under wraps is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom