• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachimari

I only expect to see Dragon Quest XI release in Japan next year year as the trailer indicated, and then it'll come to the west in 2018. I'm looking forward to getting it for my PS4. And I agree the horse while running animation is stiff and doesn't look good, although it looked great while it was walking.

I want tons of AAA and AA (mostly Western) ports. The whole reason that I bought a Vita was to get portable UvMc3, portable MK, portable FIFA, portable MLB, portable Rayman Origins, portable HSG, portable Telltale games, etc. The awesome indie games that I also have for it are a bonus.

I want the Switch so I can play FIFA, Madden, NBA 2K, Fallout, etc., off my TV, first and foremost. The second reason that I want it is to get Mario, LoZ, and a few other first-party Nintendo games. If Switch isn't doing the first thing very consistently, it's value nosedives for me.

Speely

Banned
I do really hope that handheld-style games thrive on the Switch as well. I'd love to see games designed for 720p with smaller budgets and smaller price tags that are meant to be played in the go remain a thing. Sure, let folks dock them and play at 720p on a tv if they want to, but not every game needs to target home console-like specs and have home console like price tags. A nice mix of more modest, faster-to-develop games coming out between bigger releases would be great.

Pachimari

I actually just now came to think if I'll be able to download my Ambassador games for the Switch. So that I could be playing Earthbound and Super Metroid for one.

Pachimari

Were those Ambassador games??
Yes, on the 3DS. Also all of the Zelda games, and the classic Super Mario World games. Unfortunately I sold my 3DS.

[edit]
Wait, I'm thinking of Metroid Fusion. Earthbound I must have bought separately. Anyway the question still stands.

I think it's wrong to look at Dragon Quest XI as a PS4 game and wonder if Switch can get a downgrade. They've probably been planning on a Switch version all along, so it'll just be an early major instance of a game planned as PS4/Switch multiplaform from the start.

Pachimari, I think you're still pretty confused about what was Ambassador. I couldn't list them all right now, but I am sure they were all NES or GBA games.

MoonFrog

I think it's wrong to look at Dragon Quest XI as a PS4 game and wonder if Switch can get a downgrade. They've probably been planning on a Switch version all along, so it'll just be an early major instance of a game planned as PS4/Switch multiplaform from the start.
They've at least been planning for Switch for a long time, since early development, yeah. Idk if they had hardware target specs so early on though.

What are the odds of getting a Crash Bandicoot Remastered release on Nintendo Switch?

I don't really care for any Sony games, and I don't want to get the PS4 only for Crash. (Even more because I would need to buy a TV too, lol)

What are the odds of getting a Crash Bandicoot Remastered release on Nintendo Switch?

I don't really care for any Sony games, and I don't want to get the PS4 only for Crash. (Even more because I would need to buy a TV too, lol)
This has come up before. Apparently it was never mentioned as a PS4 exclusive, so given that, keeping a platformer with previous history on various Nintendo machines off Switch seems pretty unlikely.

If it's not an exclusive or at least a timed exclusive then I think it's very likely, sure.

I imagine it's already been covered here, but DQXI was reconfirmed for Switch. I imagine a couple people got a bit worried after the Jump fest thing.

Having Zelda, Pokemon, Mario, and DQ in the first year would be pretty big. Hope it doesn't launch after the PS4 version.

Speely

Banned
What are the chances of the Switch streaming PC games? Nvidia GPU's like the Shield.

As awesome (and doable) as that would be, I don't see Nintendo releasing a device that encourages playing games on a different platform.

I would freaking love it, though. Would officially make it the ultimate "Nintendo console + PC" device, which is my favorite combo already.

What are the chances of the Switch streaming PC games? Nvidia GPU's like the Shield.
Don't think Nintendo would have much of a benefit from doing so unless they completely give up on 3rd party support. Just streaming your games from your PC to your Switch wouldn't make much sense for them

mario_O

Don't think Nintendo would have much of a benefit from doing so unless they completely give up on 3rd party support. Just streaming your games from your PC to your Switch wouldn't make much sense for them

It adds tremendous value to the console. And they gain more PC gamers, that will surely check the Nintendo's Store/ Games. It brings more people to the system.

Speely

Banned
It adds tremendous value to the console. And they gain more PC gamers, that will surely check the Nintendo's Store/ Games. It brings more people to the system.

You aren't wrong, but it would be an extremely un-Nintendo move. They are a toy company who focuses on both the strength of their branding and the closed nature of their own ecosystem.

That said, their foray into mobile perhaps suggests a change. Big enough a change to stream PC games? Probably not, I am afraid.

I would love to be wrong, though.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Cuningas de Häme;226837982 said:
What if Nintendo asked money for the streaming option? Wouldn't that make an ideal subscription perk?
They could just tag videos automatically in a way they're instantly claimed and make revenue fur them. I mean it's Nintendo, right?

oti

Banned
What if Nintendo asked money for the streaming option? Wouldn't that make an ideal subscription perk?
I think it all depends on how easy and lucrative porting their games to Switch will be in the end for 3rd parties. The one extreme would be that Switch turns out to be super successful and that publishers will gladly port their games. The other extreme would be zero interest, so porting would be wasting money. In that case, sure. X>0 Euros is better than 0 Euros. But how would you monetize that? Pay an extra 10 Euros for each game on PC and you can play it on Switch? How much money would Nintebdo make out of this deal and are enough people even that interested in this option to make it worthwhile?

Stulaw

And then third parties will yet again have a reason to say that their games won't sell on a Nintendo console.

EVH

I'd rather have DOOM 2016 on Switch. As Mark Brown said, the most Nintendo game that Nintendo would never do.

whynotboth.gif

Pachimari

It's gonna be one heck of an expensive launch, and I'll only be getting Splatoon and 3D Mario. But then there's a SD card, ethernet box, gamecube vc games, pro controller, other joy-cons etc.

Waji

This.
And that's one of the few games I wouldn't play if it wasn't on Switch also,because I don't plan on having a PS4 before long if at all.
Considering Nintendo can work well in Japan, I'd like to get most Japanese games on it, to play home and on the go.
Being region free would be useful to get a few multi games that I don't need in Japanese version to play with my wife who doesn't understand the language.

I can't imagine there not being big outrage at Nintendo trying to charge people for streaming things within their own house.

shingi70

Banned
I can see the switch getting all Bree versions of dragon quest and Nintendo really pushing for it. The game having three distinct modes while all separate would show really well in a demo reel showing off switching fro, home console to portable mode. If the system does get all three flavors of the game I'm assuming the two flavors of 3dsgames will need to be upgraded past the 240p resolution.

So so you guys still think it's the UE4 version of DQXI?

:(
Yep. The newly rumored specs are lower than most expected, but it doesn't change that we know there will be multiplatform games, and that DQ XI has been planned to be on the system for a long time. And for all the extra hassle of making the advanced version, they probably don't want to limit its sales to one system with a quarter the 3DS's userbase.

I think these specs are less an obstacle than the hyperbolic posts in certain threads will have many believe.

I'm waiting until January and beyond before I start cowering at the sky falling.

A repost from the dev kit leak thread:
I wonder if it's a mistake marketing the Switch as a console.
It is for all for all intents and purposes it's a handheld. All the tech is inside a portable shell.
For a portable, going from 3DS's 240p resolution to 720p (12x) is an astronomical leap. Going from Wii U's 720p-1080p to 1080p (~2x) isn't.

A repost from the dev kit leak thread:

It would be a mistake marketing it as a portable, since historically "portable" means you get a game that looks like Super Mario 3D Land instead of Super Mario 3D World.

This thing is going to have home console software. It's a console. But it's also a category shift for what a "console" is. It's not a preconfigured PC that you plug into your TV; it's whatever form factor you want it to be.

Nintendo should find a new word for the Switch to defend them self from all this weird comparison.

I've been running with this for a while:

Home console - NES, SNES, N64, GCN, Wii, Wii U

Handheld - GB, GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS

Mobile console - Switch

I get why Nintendo would want to stay away from the word "mobile" when talking about Switch, but if they manage to have a hit on their hands, that's really what they're offering and it's a term I think they'd stand to gain a lot from if they lay claim to it.

Metal B

Nintendo should find a new word for the Switch to defend them self from all this weird comparison. Either it is doomed, because nobody buys handheld anymore or because it is weaker then the two other home consoles.

"Gaming Companion" would be example.

antibolo

Banned
The 3DS version of DQXI is made specifically with the dual screens in mind so why would the Switch version not be based on the PS4 version?

It would be a mistake marketing it as a portable, since historically "portable" means you get a game that looks like Super Mario 3D Land instead of Super Mario 3D World.

This thing is going to have home console software. It's a console. But it's also a category shift for what a "console" is. It's not a preconfigured PC that you plug into your TV; it's whatever form factor you want it to be.

It's also going to be crazy expensive for what a lot of people think of in a portable. The 3DS came out at one of the Switch's rumored price points and pretty quickly was slashed down by around eighty bucks. On the other hand, $250-300 might be a sweet spot for a console. So it's easier to market a console at that price which can be taken on the go as opposed to a portable at that price which can be hooked up to a TV. On the side, marketing portables that can connect to a TV is sort of already a thing, so advertising it in the other direction may feel a bit fresher in the public eye.

It's also going to be crazy expensive for what a lot of people think of in a portable. The 3DS came out at one of the Switch's rumored price points and pretty quickly was slashed down by around eighty bucks. On the other hand, $250-300 might be a sweet spot for a console. So it's easier to market a console at that price which can be taken on the go as opposed to a portable at that price which can be hooked up to a TV. On the side, marketing portables that can connect to a TV is sort of already a thing, so advertising it in the other direction may feel a bit fresher in the public eye.

If we're being honest, the sweet spot for Nintendo systems is $200.

Anything more than that and they have to actually justify the added cost in a really obvious way. The only successful hardware they've had at more than $200 is Wii which was justified by Wii Sports + its really huge and diverse lineup.

Wii U being effectively $100 more than Wii was a joke in hindsight, as was 3DS being anywhere close to Wii's price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom