• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oregano

Considering UE4 support is confirmed I'm gonna say yes.

Unity is supported on Wii U but Yooka Laylee is still cancelled.

Yep. The newly rumored specs are lower than most expected, but it doesn't change that we know there will be multiplatform games, and that DQ XI has been planned to be on the system for a long time. And for all the extra hassle of making the advanced version, they probably don't want to limit its sales to one system with a quarter the 3DS's userbase.

Sonic is the only one announced that isn't on a last gen/Wii U system but then Sonic Team/Dimps has always made bespoke handheld versions...

Any sane people would.

I don't see why at this point. There's an incredible gulf of power(bigger than expected) and it's easier to port up than down.

The 3DS version of DQXI is made specifically with the dual screens in mind so why would the Switch version not be based on the PS4 version?

It drops the dual screen gimmick after the intro.

antibolo

Banned
If we're being honest, the sweet spot for Nintendo systems is $200.

Anything more than that and they have to actually justify the added cost in a really obvious way. The only successful hardware they've had at more than $200 is Wii which was justified by Wii Sports + its really huge and diverse lineup.

Wii U being effectively $100 more than Wii was a joke in hindsight, as was 3DS being anywhere close to Wii's price.

Uh if you adjust for inflation then things aren't so simple.

LordKano

I don't see why at this point. There's an incredible gulf of power(bigger than expected) and it's easier to port up than down.

I'm pretty sure you still will act like you don't understand even though I'd explain this a thousand times, but again : it's way easier to port down with UE4, a very scalable engine, than port a 240p game in 1080p. It's not even porting at that side, it's a full remake. Switch is UE4 compatible = it will get the UE4 version. Because, again, there's not a single reason to not port the UE4 version.

Also, it's not a port. Both versions are developped alongside to be released in the same time. They won't just take the PS4 versions and downgrade it. They're making an UE4 version suited for the Switch.

Metal B

Unity is supported on Wii U but Yooka Laylee is still cancelled.
It's cancelled, because a small developer should focus on the console with a future. Like the Switch.

Sonic is the only one announced that isn't on a last gen/Wii U system but then Sonic Team/Dimps has always made bespoke handheld versions...
Lets wait until January and see. Many developers are asked to be silence and, i guess, Sega announced Sonic long before that.

It isn't "bigger than expected". Best case scenario was always close to the XBox One, while docked, and worst case was on par with the Wii U. Its somewhere in the middle right now.

Oregano

I'm pretty sure you still will act like you don't understand even though I'd explain this a thousand times, but again : it's way easier to port down with UE4, a very scalable engine, than port a 240p game in 1080p. It's not even porting at that side, it's a full remake. Switch is UE4 compatible = it will get the UE4 version. Because, again, there's not a single reason to not port the UE4 version.

Also, it's not a port. Both versions are developped alongside to be released in the same time. They won't just take the PS4 versions and downgrade it. They're making an UE4 version suited for the Switch.

Resident Evil: Revelations, Castlevania Mirror of Fate, Batman Arkham: Blackgate and One Piece Unlimited Red were all ported to 1080p systems without issue. They weren't completely remade.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Uh if you adjust for inflation then things aren't so simple.

Very true.

But they are also facing the reality of launching mid gen when there are super cheap PS4 Slim and Xbox 1 slim bundles out there.

Coming in more expensive than those with their already diminished mine share among mainstream gamers will be tough. Especially in the west where 1) their style of games are less popular and shooters, sports games etc. rule and 2) fewer care about portability and are all about gaming on the big screen--thus that feature doesn't necessarily help justify a higher price to many.

It really needs to be $200 or less to be an easier impulse buy for both more casual gamers and as a second or third platform for mainstream gamers to get all Nintendo's games in one place along with some Japanese exclusives etc.

The further it gets from that price point the more fence sitters just pass on it or get the sony/ms slim console to complement whichever one they already have instead etc.

Because Nintendo used "Home Console" to describe the Switch so far. I hope they correct there messaging in January.

They're in a tough spot there as they're trying to cater to the west where the portable market has declined dramatically. The 3DS still did ok, but arguably more on the strength of being the only place to play Pokemon, Monster Hunter etc.--with lots of people wishing those games would come to a console so they can play on the TV.

So now they're trying to bridge that gap by focusing on the TV play aspect, but now have to be careful about raising expectations for graphics if the power spec rumors are true.

LordKano

Resident Evil: Revelations, Castlevania Mirror of Fate, Batman Arkham: Blackgate and One Piece Unlimited Red were all ported to 1080p systems without issue. They weren't completely remade.

What does that have to do with what I said ? They were all remade (or they were planning beforehand to release them on consoles) because you cannot just port a 240p game with all the assets, textures, and effects of a 3DS game. Even with the best upscaling ever made.

I won't argue much more on this, it should be fairly obvious about why it won't be a 3DS port, and I'm pretty sure that you perfectly understand it.

Oregano

What does that have to do with what I said ? They were all remade (or they were planning beforehand to release them on consoles) because you cannot just port a 240p game with all the assets, textures, and effects of a 3DS game. Even with the best upscaling ever made.

I won't argue much more on this, it should be fairly obvious about why it won't be a 3DS port, and I'm pretty sure that you perfectly understand it.

They weren't remade, some textures were upgraded but that's about it. As to the bolded wouldn't that exactly be the case with Switch then?

LordKano

They weren't remade, some textures were upgraded but that's about it. As to the bolded wouldn't that exactly be the case with Switch then?

The 3DS version looks like that because it was made for 3DS. Characters are chibi because the 3DS couldn't handle more. There is this huge cell-shading liner because the 3DS couldn't handle sharper models. And so on.

Making a Switch version based on the 3DS models, but suited for a more powerful hardware would lead to...the UE4 version. Think about it. The 3DS version is the same as the PS4 one, but downgraded enough so it could run on a 3DS. So, of course they didn't do it like that, both versions got developped separately but both share the same art direction, they both are the same game as the core, but the PS4 is so much more powerful than the 3DS that they look nothing alike.

So, asking for a HD version based on the 3DS to be developped alongside is the same as asking for the UE4 version. Again, there's zero reasons to not expect the UE4 version on a UE4-compatible HD console.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
That... doesn't make any sense.

Sure it does. Costs have continually came down on computing components, which helps offset inflation. So companies can sell more powerful consoles for similar amounts to years back despite inflation as cost per unit to build them are cheaper relatively speaking.

Nothing new. Same reasons consoles launched around $200 for a long time (NES, SNES/Genesis/N64 ($150 actually), PS1 etc. despite increases in power. Inflation eventually caught up and prices jumped to $400+ at launch for the top ones, but it will probably stay around there a few more generations despite inflation as tech costs continue to drop (especially with how CPU improvements have stagnated).

Oregano

The 3DS version looks like that because it was made for 3DS. Characters are chibi because the 3DS couldn't handle more. There is this huge cell-shading liner because the 3DS couldn't handle sharper models. And so on.

Making a Switch version based on the 3DS models, but suited for a more powerful hardware would lead to...the UE4 version. Think about it. The 3DS version is the same as the PS4 one, but downgraded enough so it could run on a 3DS. So, of course they didn't do it like that, both versions got developped separately but both share the same art direction, they both are the same game as the core, but the PS4 is so much more powerful than the 3DS that they look nothing alike.

So, asking for a HD version based on the 3DS to be developped alongside is the same as asking for the UE4 version. Again, there's zero reasons to not expect the UE4 version on a UE4-compatible HD console.

Just because it's UE4-capable does not mean it can run a UE4 game designed for PS4 level hardware. UE3 is supported on Vita but the Borderlands port was complete garbage.

I don't see how any of this is relevant to what I said.

Because I read the thread and saw that you're using the nuance of home and handheld console to justify why Switch is a handheld. I've seen this a lot on GAF recently and it's just not true at all.

Switch is and has always been marketed by Nintendo as their next home console.

LordKano

Just because it's UE4-capable does not mean it can run a UE4 game designed for PS4 level hardware. UE3 is supported on Vita but the Borderlands port was complete garbage.

Oh god. I've argued enough with you. My last port was clear enough and I won't waste more time on this.

Metal B

Switch plays Zelda BOTW, Skyrim and Splatoon. Those are home console games. So what's there to correct?
Because many people would compare the Switch to other home consoles. We know, that this is stupid, but if you look in the other thread, people go crazy, because the Switch isn't a on par with the PS4. But most people try to find the easiest way to compare stuff. Wording is important.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I don't see how any of this is relevant to what I said.

It shows that Nintendo's braindead marking fucks keep referring to it in ways that imply a "home console" instead of a "handheld console" in your lingo.

They're the ones upping people expectations for power by doing so, instead of focusing on in it as primarily a handheld console that you can also play on your TV.

They're in a tough spot as their last home console was a sales failure and they're unconvinced they can succeed with another pure console--especially in their home territory where even the PS4 is struggling as Japan just doesn't care about consoles anymore.

Their last/current handheld did ok, but dropped off a ton from the prior one, and especially in the West where the market for portables continues to shrink.

So they're trying to market a product that can appeal to both the console focused western market and the portable/mobile focused Japanese market and risking botching both. It will likely end up too underpowered for the console market outside of their diehards (if that market even still cares in large numbers about the type of games they make) and too big and bulky for the portable/mobile market. Jack of all trades/master of none.

The marketing is murky because of trying to straddle those two markets. This will only succeed if they keep the price way down ($200 max) AND really nail the software at launch and through the first year plus. It needs a quick and sustained start. Any droughts or slow sales and the market will see it as another Wii failure and it will never build any real sales momentum.

Because I read the thread and saw that you're using the nuance of home and handheld console to justify why Switch is a handheld. I've seen this a lot on GAF recently and it's just not true at all.

Switch is and has always been marketed by Nintendo as their next home console.

This isn't even a point of contention as it was labelled by Nintendo as such. Wrong decision of course in the light of specs. Its more like a handheld that can output, rather than a home console that can be taken along with you.

This isn't even a point of contention as it was labelled by Nintendo as such. Wrong decision of course in the light of specs. Its more like a handheld that can output, rather than a home console that can be taken along with you.

For sure, though I see people talking as if Nintendo hasn't intentionally tried to position this as a new home console, as if it justifies the potential spec deficit. The facts are that they're likely going to release another underpowered console, but that's okay.

I don't think the people criticizing them realise that this is probably the only route they could take either. They need to work out how to stop hemorrhaging marketshare before they even dream of going head to head with Sony and Microsoft.

Eh, it's been labeled by NoA as much. NCL is apparently just marketing it as a console- not home or portable- just a console.

This falls in line with what Iwata said several years ago about marketing products differently for different types of markets.

Look at it from SE's point of view. Which version will cost more to make and have more trouble making its money back? And how can they mitigate those costs?

MoonFrog

Well. Thing will still be easier to port to and significantly more powerful than Vita, right? I think that is all that matters, tbh. I just hope it gets most of the games that fit its profile, which includes the vast majority of console Japanese games.

I always didn't like this thing being marketed as a home console...that's not what I want despite the fact that I'll probably play this at the TV a lot. I want the games a powerful Nintendo handheld could muster.

I like the idea of NCL just marketing it as a console.

LordKano

Japanese third-party won't have any problems with porting to the Switch. They managed to make PS4 to Vita ports so it's not like it will be a problem with them to deal with less powerful hardware. It just need to sell well.

Oregano

Look at it from SE's point of view. Which version will cost more to make and have more trouble making its money back? And how can they mitigate those costs?

On the other hand down-porting the PS4 version might cost a lot more money as it's much more difficult and it may perform to standards that consumers reject. Compare the consumer reaction to Toukiden vs Toukiden 2 on Vita.

The first game was an enhanced PSP port and the second one was a cruddy PS4 port. The first one sold a lot better.

Hallowed

The switch is a weird case for me, because I get hyped if I look at it one way, and get very annoyed if I choose to look at it another.

If I see the Switch as a progression in their handheld market, this looks so sweet, coming up after the 3DS.

If I see the Switch as a progression in their home console market, I just get super frustrated as to why Nintendo cannot even meet the power of a PS4, a console that was released in 2013 for goodness sake.

And I'm leaning more to the annoyed side because Nintendo is marketing the Switch as a home console that goes portable. It's making me consider not bothering with it at all.

I love you Nintendo, always have, but your choices just piss me off this last decade, lol.

On the other hand down-porting the PS4 version might cost a lot more money as it's much more difficult and it may perform to standards that consumers reject. Compare the consumer reaction to Toukiden vs Toukiden 2 on Vita.

The first game was an enhanced PSP port and the second one was a cruddy PS4 port. The first one sold a lot better.

The PS4 version is running on UE4 already. The Switch version supports UE4. Therefore like 85% of the porting work is already done. I've used UE4 before, and changing settings is incredibly easy to do- it could take 1 guy maybe 30 minutes to find the optimal settings for the Switch hardware.

Then you'd need to do months of QA testing and the like, but the point is a UE4 game is a UE4 game. It makes much more sense to port the version using the engine a console supports than port a custom engine.

MoonFrog

Japanese third-party won't have any problems with porting to the Switch. They managed to make PS4 to Vita ports so it's not like it will be a problem with them to deal with less powerful hardware. It just need to sell well.
But yeah my Switch ship hasn't sunk until it fails to move units in Japan, or, even managing to move units, Japan ignores it for obnoxious reasons, like Nintendo manages relations badly, Sony tosses money at the industry, developers are skittish to test a Nintendo platform, etc. Another blow would be traditional Nintendo support going mostly mobile. Both these things happening would truly sink the ship I'm on. Both are possible, but Switch has the potential to sail. I just hope it does.

Even the shipwreck, however, could result in a great system. I do think it would turn Nintendo further inwards, when I am wanting them to be more boisterous and explorative than they were on Wii U. We'd still get good games, but I want a happy sailing Nintendo again.

Yes they will, especially high end Japanese games. Its inevitably another hurdle.

For sure, though I see people talking as if Nintendo hasn't intentionally tried to position this as a new home console, as if it justifies the potential spec deficit. The facts are that they're likely going to release another underpowered console, but that's okay.

I don't think the people criticizing them realise that this is probably the only route they could take either. They need to work out how to stop hemorrhaging marketshare before they even dream of going head to head with Sony and Microsoft.

Yeah, a console that is portable is far more attractive here than a handheld that has TV out.

Eh, it's been labeled by NoA as much. NCL is apparently just marketing it as a console- not home or portable- just a console.

This falls in line with what Iwata said several years ago about marketing products differently for different types of markets.

In light of the specs I really struggle to see how you can market this in an enticing way as a home console.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
You people will be much happier if you just treat the Switch like I am. As a PSP3 that also plays Nintendo games. He happy we're still getting a PSP3. Be even happier that not only are we getting a PSP3, but we're getting one that plays Nintendo games!

Debirudog

The switch is a weird case for me, because I get hyped if I look at it one way, and get very annoyed if I choose to look at it another.

If I see the Switch as a progression in their handheld market, this looks so sweet, coming up after the 3DS.

If I see the Switch as a progression in their home console market, I just get super frustrated as to why Nintendo cannot even meet the power of a PS4, a console that was released in 2013 for goodness sake.

And I'm leaning more to the annoyed side because Nintendo is marketing the Switch as a home console that goes portable. It's making me consider not bothering with it at all.

I love you Nintendo, always have, but your choices just piss me off this last decade, lol.
Enjoy a high-expensive console you can apparently afford then.
You're asking them for the unfeasible. A portable PS4.

Hallowed

Enjoy a high-expensive console you can apparently afford then.
You're asking them for the unfeasible. A portable PS4.

The thing is mate, I just don't know why Nintendo sometimes has to choose an innovation that makes it difficult for them to keep specs somewhat competitive with what's already out on the market.

The 3DS as an example (even though I love mine), how many people actually use the 3d effect when playing their games? I'd guess not many, especially when you play for hours on end. If they took out the 3D gimmick and just beefed it up a little more, it'd be perfect.

I just so badly want to see what Nintendo can do with cutting edge specs. I've been waiting for a home console from them with this dream in mind and it looks like it will never happen with their current philosophy.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Much like they brought back the term 'Gamepad' for the Wii U's controller, they should bring back the term 'Control Deck' to describe the Switch to avoid the word console altogether.

The thing is mate, I just don't know why Nintendo sometimes has to choose an innovation that makes it difficult for them to keep specs somewhat competitive with what's already out on the market.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...c42097b8cc0_story.html?utm_term=.35b55b098b61

http://news.ihsmarkit.com/press-rel...e-even-4k-tv-continues-strong-growth-ihs-says

Gee, I wonder why a video entertainment provider is trying to be less dependent on traditional TVs and display devices?

This question isn't hard for every other medium. Why is it so hard for games?

The idea of a new 3d Mario, Splatoon, Mario Kart 8, Zelda but especially the ability for it all to be portable has me sold on the Switch. I know they always have these games but it's been long enough that I feel the need to jump back in because Nintendo makes such great games. It will be the first Nintendo home system I will buy since the N64 (had the DS for a while). I love the fact that some of the WiiUs best titles are being ported to it, should give it some outright classics at the very start for those of us who skipped the Wii U. Does anyone know if Bayonetta 2 will be ported?

Debirudog

The 3DS as an example (even though I love mine), how many people actually use the 3d effect when playing their games? I'd guess not many, especially when you play for hours on end. If they took out the 3D gimmick and just beefed it up a little more, it'd be perfect.

I just so badly want to see what Nintendo can do with cutting edge specs. I've been waiting for a home console from them with this dream in mind and it looks like it will never happen with their current philosophy.
I don't believe the technology is as outdated as the Wii U or the 3DS. It's just that it's impossible to ask for both assets (portability and high power) because then you get an expensive console that very little people would end up buying.

I don't believe what they're doing with the switch would hurt them because of the lack of high-end specs, and what they failed on the Wii U was more so of a confusing console that they couldn't capitalized on for the market nor the audience. If they fight Sony and Microsoft regarding techpower, I think they will lose that fight hence I prefer this direction.

All in all I don't think the GPU FLOPS will make much of a difference to most of us. Based on everything we've heard from developers this appears to be the best Nintendo console in ages in terms of developer tools and APIs which likely affect third party games much moreso than raw power.

I keep looking at my 3DS and my Gamepad and just wishing I can get all the games I love on a device with a similar type of form factor, so I can play them all in bed, on the treadmill, at my parents' house... etc. I think this really does little to dampen the overall appeal of the Switch.

LordKano

All in all I don't think the GPU FLOPS will make much of a difference to most of us. Based on everything we've heard from developers this appears to be the best Nintendo console in ages in terms of developer tools and APIs which likely affect third party games much moreso than raw power.

I keep looking at my 3DS and my Gamepad and just wishing I can get all the games I love on a device with a similar type of form factor, so I can play them all in bed, on the treadmill, at my parents' house... etc. I think this really does little to dampen the overall appeal of the Switch.

Yeah, we've heard way too much positive from almost every aspect of this console for me to be bummed by incomplete specs infos. I'll remain optimistic until the reveal.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I don't believe the technology is as outdated as the Wii U or the 3DS. It's just that it's impossible to ask for both assets (portability and high power) because then you get an expensive console that very little people would end up buying.

I don't believe what they're doing with the switch would hurt them because of the lack of high-end specs, and what they failed on the Wii U was more so of a confusing console that they couldn't capitalized on for the market nor the audience. If they fight Sony and Microsoft regarding techpower, I think they will lose that fight hence I prefer this direction.

I think they'd have been better off just making a separate console and portable that shared libraries with the games being scalable. The console could be beefier from not having to be small and came in around X1 or PS4 levels and still be around $250 launch price to be competitive with the slim bundles of those machines from not including a screen etc. Then the portable could have a smaller form factor and appeal more to the gaming on the go crowd.

I just worry this hybrid approach will compromise too much for both the console only and portable only markets and only appeal to the niche excited to do their at home and away (or off tv) gaming in the same device. For the rest, the compromises may be too much.

Debirudog

I'm just going to wait for January then. My expectations are vastly different from others so I'm not expecting PS4 equilvalence. Getting some exclusives and a long line of Nintendo games would be fine for me since I'm not really interested in most of the other's offerings.

sanstesy

While I'm not sure if it is the 3DS version or PS4 version of DQXI the Switch is getting, specs are not holding back DQXI for the PS4 getting ported to it because as we can see by the gameplay videos DQXI PS4 is not a graphics-intensive game at all.

Hell, at 720P I could see it run on the Wii U as well.

A repost from the dev kit leak thread:
I wonder if it's a mistake marketing the Switch as a console.
It is for all for all intents and purposes it's a handheld. All the tech is inside a portable shell.
For a portable, going from 3DS's 240p resolution to 720p (12x) is an astronomical leap. Going from Wii U's 720p-1080p to 1080p (~2x) isn't.
Resolution changes were pretty flat from NES to SNES to N64 (some exceptions especially with the Expansion Pak). Also flat from GameCube to Wii. That it's not pushing into new resolution territory so niche few could actually use it is not a very big deal.

I also think it's a bit unfair to 3DS to say it's a 12x jump. Between the bottom screen and the two separate views for the top screen, Switch's screen will have more like 3.4x as many pixels. Even using only one of the top views it's 9.6x rather than 12.

I'm... not shocked that the Switch may be on the weaker side. This is Nintendo, they prefer gameplay over graphics and horsepower. That said, I still plan to be there day one. The main reason I buy Nintendo consoles is to play Nintendo games; so as long as they keep making games I'll buy em. I understand that folks were hoping for a powerhouse, but that's just not their style.

MoonFrog

Tbh, when the "other shoe dropping" seems this inconsequential to me, I think we're in a good scenario for Nintendo.

Or I'm just more out of touch than I think I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom