• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnWake

Look at all past generations, handhelds always outsell their console counterparts. It's only natural that Nintendo would choose a handheld as base for the Switch, adding the home console part to not lose that smaller part of their audience. As a handheld it's a huge jump from the 3DS which is a great system with awesome games. I can't understand all the negativity honestly.

Look at all past generations, handhelds always outsell their console counterparts. It's only natural that Nintendo would choose a handheld as base for the Switch, adding the home console part to not lose that smaller part of their audience. As a handheld it's a huge jump from the 3DS which is a great system with awesome games. I can't understand all the negativity honestly.

Because this is not what Nintendo is marketing it as. What you choose to perceive it as is not what they have consistently and clearly stated / marketed it as.

It's not a handheld, it's a hybrid console. It'll be the jack of all trades and master of absolutely none.

random25

Because this is not what Nintendo is marketing it as. What you choose to perceive it as is not what they have consistently and clearly stated / marketed it as.

It's not a handheld, it's a hybrid console. It'll be the jack of all trades and master of absolutely none.

It will end up being the best handheld yet, so it's a master of something, regardless of how true or not those CPU speculations are.

Josh5890

Being surrounded by negativity is a pain like damn.

I honestly can not wait till the January event to get all these rumors over with.

Good luck with that. We saw two reaction threads today based on a rumor. Come January 12th/13th there will be more threads than any one can keep up with. I pity the mods

Being surrounded by negativity is a pain like damn.

I honestly can not wait till the January event to get all these rumors over with.

I was hesitant to come to GAF when there is so much negativity without some light-hearted threads around. I want to come up with something, but currently not in the mood since something has just happened in real life.

Sorry for the rant.

All these leaks and rumors about specs.

And here i'm waiting for rumors/leaks about which developers will be at the Event. I Really want to see Retros new game

Is the design of the system final? After seeing it on Fallon, it looks a little incomplete. The back is jet black, but the rest of it is grey. It looks kind of odd, gigantic logos aside. I like most of it, though. An answer probably hasn't been given yet :/

random25

All these leaks and rumors about specs.

And here i'm waiting for rumors/leaks about which developers will be at the Event. I Really want to see Retros new game

People nowadays like to talk about specs more than games in video game consoles.

I just need more Japanese third party news, man.

Speely

Banned
It's gonna be fine, folks. All you have to do is go by my handy-dandy Switch Release Guide:

1) Realize that January is not here and that few things are certain. Limited spec rumors are not full spec reveals, even if they are accurate in regard to some specifics.

2) Realize that developers are not shitting all over this console when they normally would be if it sucked categorically. In fact, we've heard only good things from developers, even some who haven't said a definitive good word about Nintendo in ages, if ever. This is no Wii U pre-release grumble-fest.

3) Remember we are getting all serious Nintendo games on one platform that can be portable or home-based as we see fit. This is huge if you happen to like Nintendo games.

4) Consider that it's really three consoles in one: Home console, handheld console, and portable home-style console complete with local MP anywhere, even with separate controllers.

5) Remember what Nintendo can do with modest tech and then revisit point #3. Also consider that they are good at settling upon custom options that perform beyond their on-paper capabilities.

6) January Is Coming. Even if there isn't a detailed spec reveal (there won't be, at least not by Nintendo,) there will be games that show what its performance realistically is. That's what matters, right? How games run on it, and what games are running on it? Can't wait.

7) Indies. Sure, it might not be a big selling point for casuals, but OH MY GOD if I am not drooling over the thought of having a capable indie device I can take anywhere and either play alone or with friends. If the Switch has good indie support, it will literally be my favorite console that has ever existed.

That's all for my positive Switch points for the day :)

Is the design of the system final? After seeing it on Fallon, it looks a little incomplete. The back is jet black, but the rest of it is grey. It looks kind of odd, gigantic logos aside. I like most of it, though. An answer probably hasn't been given yet :/

There was a "CE" logo on the back, which suggests it's a retail unit. Unfortunate, because I really dislike the grey but love everything else.

I think they'd have been better off just making a separate console and portable that shared libraries with the games being scalable. The console could be beefier from not having to be small and came in around X1 or PS4 levels and still be around $250 launch price to be competitive with the slim bundles of those machines from not including a screen etc. Then the portable could have a smaller form factor and appeal more to the gaming on the go crowd.

I just worry this hybrid approach will compromise too much for both the console only and portable only markets and only appeal to the niche excited to do their at home and away (or off tv) gaming in the same device. For the rest, the compromises may be too much.

It will happen. Give it 2-3 years when they release switch with pascal chip with same or better battery life as launch(could be up to +700 GFLOPS docked?), and either an scd attachment or a separate console that will be ps4 to pro level(possibly with VR support like the patent.. if VR takes off). Nintendo did say the switch we know know is going to be part of a family.. So I'm thinking they will most definitely go the iphone or at least mid generation route like sony and ms.

Astral Dog

People nowadays like to talk about specs more than games in video game consoles.

I just need more Japanese third party news, man.
This, this is what im hoping for, i played lots of good japanese games on the weak, low res 3DS, making the jump to Switch does not seem like a bad deal after all, regardless if it ends up being Wii U + or Wii U +++
games targeting the system will look great on it.

J@hranimo

Banned
This is like the only cool Nintendo thread on GAF right now B)

But really though...We're less than a month away, I'm ready for the video gamessssss man! Leading up to 11pm is gonna be killer for me D:

I'm hoping for a surprise Fire Emblem announcement, Which might be completely unrealistic based on development time between Awakening and Fates.

Monolith, give me some RPG goodness

MoonFrog

This is like the only cool Nintendo thread on GAF right now B)

But really though...We're less than a month away, I'm ready for the video gamessssss man! Leading up to 11pm is gonna be killer for me D:
Yeah there's a reason I read Thraktor's post in that other one, left a single response and mostly stayed away lol, hoping that this thread saw some activity instead.

Rubixcuba

Banned
Just show me the games. I was fine with the graphics of the Wii U, Splatoon/Xenoblade X etc all looked completely and utterly acceptable.

Peterc

Switch could run ps4 games.
People forget that the portable system screen is way smaller than a TV screen.
Looking what 3ds does, I think the switch could run next gen gfx on the handheld.
When docked it will be faster but gfx will maybe just be a bit lower than xbox1 on Tv.
So i would say, lets wait until 12jan to see the games.

Massive 3rd party are happy to support it, this is also a signal that the system is strong and they are happy with the power of the system.

Looking what 3ds does, I think the switch could run next gen gfx on the handheld.
When docked it will be faster but gfx will maybe just be a bit lower than xbox1 on Tv.

Massive 3rd party are happy to support it, this is also a signal that the system is strong and they are happy with the power of the system.

Sorry but that's just wishiful thinking if those specs are true (Heck, even if they aren't). Games could absolutely be ported, but will never be PS4 graphic quality ever. Some that run at 30fps even there won't definitely run either.

Resolution doesn't really matter in this case

If the Switch was at least 512 GFLOPS when docked(accounting for architectural differences also), it could probably run conventional 1080p multiplat xbone games in 720p on tv, if the CPU and RAM was roughly half as well.

LordKano

I am confident that we will get blown away by the January event. Nintendo seems to be in such a good momentum right now, they could strike big.

MoonFrog

I am confident that we will get blown away by the January event. Nintendo seems to be in such a good momentum right now, they could strike big.
It has always been that if Nintendo does not bring big first party games to Switch launch and first year, then something is seriously wrong, which is possible, but I tend to believe that this long drought will end and that Nintendo does have their shit somewhat together for Switch, at least on a first party front.

3rd parties I'm fretful about. I worry if Switch is too late to catch the cross-gen train. I worry if Switch is too late to re-energize 3DS developer confidence in portable market. I worry that Nintendo is not doing everything it can to get support and is instead being classic "we lead, you follow...except wait, you don't, do you?" Nintendo.

Switch could be so much, I just really really hope it is.

Is it likely pre-orders for the Switch will go live immediately following the January reveal? I haven't put money down on hardware in over a decade so I'm fuzzy on how these things work.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I'm feeling this myself. It's been ~2 years since any big titles came from Nintendo. We may be in for a treat :)
Opening soon.

barrage-daniel-johnson-lrg.jpg

Shahadan

They have a lot of ports and 3rd party stuff to promote, big "new" games would be rather far away and they tend to not show games far in advance. This event will be launch oriented.

You'll be disappointed if you expect multiple megatons

D.Lo

It will be so great to have a home console that is small and runs quietly again.

I'm sick of giant consoles that sound like a plane taking off after 0-1 years, even the Wii U is loud.

Really excited for the Switch. Interested to see what kind of fun experiences they can figure out.

Pumped to be attending the event in NY, just...just gotta find somewhere to stay while I'm there still. But it's worth it!

What high end japanese games ?

FFXV, KH2.8, KH3, FF7R. FF DIssidia looks pretty intense as well.

While I'm not sure if it is the 3DS version or PS4 version of DQXI the Switch is getting, specs are not holding back DQXI for the PS4 getting ported to it because as we can see by the gameplay videos DQXI PS4 is not a graphics-intensive game at all.

Hell, at 720P I could see it run on the Wii U as well.

Are you joking right now?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This thread is a bit sad now, honestly. Specs matter for a lot of things even if you don't care about the numbers. But the revolt against specs is admirable.

Shahadan

I would say so. Their mobile games have been successful and Switch speculation/discussion dominates here. Casuals I have talked to seem intrigued.

That's my feeling as well even though I don't really get it. Regular people seem seduced by the idea but I'm not sure why. Maybe the novelty of it.

With these specs why is it not a handheld? It's rumored to have a 5-8 hour battery life, cost $250 or less, and be above Wii U in power... That sounds like a phenomenal handheld!

This thread is a bit sad now, honestly. Specs matter for a lot of things even if you don't care about the numbers. But the revolt against specs is admirable.

Specs sure do matter, but as of now developers and insiders have only good things to say regarding ports and third parties. I only care about specs in that they are good enough to at least encourage more third party support, so if that support is still doable at these specs I'm happy, albeit a bit surprised.

LordKano

Specs certainly didn't kill all the leaks, the fact that Nintendo will output more software than ever before, that third-party are more on board with this than with the Wii U (at least for the start) and so on.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Is it a generation ahead of Vita in specs? Yes. Then the specs are good enough. It really is that simple. It's a handheld. Set your expectations accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom