• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDarkness

I don't buy anecdotal evidence like RE4 Wii. It was a $30 budget port of one of the biggest games of last gen (franchise/hype/review) on one of the fastest selling platforms ever. Nintendo has cultivated an audience - through their own releases, console features, online infrastructure etc. that isn't conducive to stuff like CoD, FIFA, Witcher etc. Yes, there is a small number of core fans that wants everything on a Nintendo platform, but that's exactly it - they're tiny in number. Even if the games had feature parity, I don't think they'd do anywhere near as well as the other systems. Software feature parity isn't the same as online infrastructure parity. They'll be lacking in some way or other. Even if everything was on par, it just doesn't make financial sense because of the audience. Sorry, but it just doesn't. These devs would be better off making a game that might appeal to the Nintendo crowd. It'd be money better spent.

Heh, what is the "Nintendo crowd"? Kiddie games? Cute games with fuzzy characters? Heh, Monster Hunter Tri sold over a million on the Wii. Call of Duty Modern Warfare Reflex sold well, too. Thing is, these games can sell well if they're treated properly and marketed as well as the other versions.

AdanVC

Sad days huh? I mean yeah, it kinda sucks it's been confirmed NS will only be a bit powerful than Wii U since we were expecting more horse power but at least the console/tablet itself looks sleek, practical and versatile af, all of that was confirmed during the Jimmy Fallon segment, the system actually looks even sexier there than on the reveal trailer! My only concern now is the software output. If this machine is going to have software droughts like the Wii U... Yikes.

Switch is of course day one purchase but I will save for a proper PC or a PS4 too just in case... Being a Wii U only owner this generation was aaaaaaaawful. Waiting 3, 4, 5, sometimes even 6 months between each new release sucks.

Eliseo

Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Smash, Zelda, Dankey Kang, and maaaaybe Metroid Prime.

Sometimes they get hardcore with Pikmin or Fire Emblem or Kid Icarus.

Speaking of Fire Emblem, what kind changes would you guys like to see? gameplay? character designs?sci fi lol?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Sad days huh? I mean yeah, it kinda sucks it's been confirmed NS will only be a bit powerful than Wii U since we were expecting more horse power but at least the console/tablet itself looks sleek, practical and versatile af, all of that was confirmed during the Jimmy Fallon segment, the system actually looks even sexier there than on the reveal trailer! My only concern now is the software output. If this machine is going to have software droughts like the Wii U... Yikes.

It's still quite more powerful than Wii U, not just a bit. It's better even in undocked mode.

Switch is of course day one purchase but I will save for a proper PC or a PS4 too just in case... Being a Wii U only owner this generation was aaaaaaaawful. Waiting 3, 4, 5, sometimes even 6 months between each new release sucks.

Why would this revelation say anything about software droughts? This will still have 100% of Nintendo's software output. We still have nothing but good reports in terms of porting ease and third parties interested in supporting it. Hell, people over in r/gamedev are very excited about the fact that it supports Vulkan, and don't seem to care about the exact clock speeds.

Don't be so down because of this. It's a very good thing this news came out before the January event, because now there's really no expectations for this power wise. Any amazing looking game shown there will impress.

Are we really expecting this to sell at $200 when the freaking 3ds xl is at $199. Are we being realistic?

I don't think it will be $200 but the 3DS will see major price cuts as soon as it comes out.

I think it'll be $250, but I can understand why some think it has to be less. Many people are picking up an Xbox One/Ps4 this christmas for as much. And it might not be long before both systems are permanently that price.

Nintendo is marketing this as a console. Regardless of the portability element it is less powerful than it's competition and should be priced as such.

doop_

Banned
I was feeling down for a while then i realized that in just a few months i will be able to play console-level Nintendo games while snuggled up in bed.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
EDarkness gets it. Yes, people will buy those third party games on other devices. But each game a Switch owner will buy on another device will degrade usefulness of the Switch. Each game that it's announced and doesn't have a Switch version it's a negative point for Switch for a potential buyer. All these negative points add up.

A system needs to sell beyond the core of enthusiasts to be successful. And it needs to sell for a long time.

Sure, a low price would set off these negative points, if it makes it an instant buy as a second/third system.

A high price would amplify any negative points.

oti

Banned
I don't think it will be $200 but the 3DS will see major price cuts as soon as it comes out.

I think it'll be $250, but I can understand why some think it has to be less. Many people are picking up an Xbox One/Ps4 this christmas for as much. And it might not be long before both systems are permanently that price.

Nintendo is marketing this as a console. Regardless of the portability element it is less powerful than it's competition and should be priced as such.
Today I bought an Xbox One S with a second controller and FIFA 17 for 230€. The clerk asked me - and I swear I'm not making this up - why I bought an Xbox.

I live in Germany in case you didn't know.

Also ironic since just a few days ago I sold off my used Wii U on eBay and made 220€.

Crazy.

I have all Dark Souls games on PC and I would gladly double dip on Switch to have them on the go.

Especially if they all come in the same package.

Same.

On the Wii, "Buy this downgraded port because it has added waggle!", wasn't a good pitch. On the WiiU "Buy this downgraded port because you can play it on an SD crappy playmobile screen that you can only take 10 feet away from your system", wasn't a good pitch.

Playing Skyrim and Darksouls on the go, at the airport, on the train, at school, etc.. That actually is an attractive proposition. On the Wii I bought a lot of the 3rd party exclusives but it's unlikely switch will ever get similar treatment in regards to B tier exclusives.. So it's gotta to be either ports or something of that nature. The WiiU didn't give a good reason to buy games on it over other systems or reasons to rebuy games you already have. I think the Switch does. Which is why I'm hopeful we could see better and longer sustained third party support.

However I think it will be similar to the wii in that japanese third party support will fair far better than western support will. Japanese franchises I think just appeal more to people who actually buy Nintendo systems than Call of Duty or whatever.

Support for Sports games like FIFA or NBA 2K I could see stopping after a year or two.. But I hope Atlus, Square, Capcom, Namco Bandai, etc, actually see Monster Hunter, Yokai Watch, Dragon Quest, and maybe even Final Fantasy, Persona and Kingdom Hearts release and actually do pretty well to justify continued ports

EDarkness gets it. Yes, people will buy those third party games on other devices. But each game a Switch owner will buy on another device will degrade usefulness of the Switch. Each game that it's announced and doesn't have a Switch version it's a negative point for Switch for a potential buyer. All these negative points add up.

A system needs to sell beyond the core of enthusiasts to be successful. And it needs to sell for a long time.

Sure, a low price would set off these negative points, if it makes it an instant buy as a second/third system.

A high price would amplify any negative points.

Yeah I agree with this. The USP of this device, "play your console games on the go" falls a bit flat if you can't play every typical console game. Not that I expect every multiplat on this thing but I'm at least hoping for the best. A return to Gamecube levels of support even would be incredible.

Hopefully modern engine/API support and the appeal of the same console games on a portable will go a long way.

Because this is not what Nintendo is marketing it as. What you choose to perceive it as is not what they have consistently and clearly stated / marketed it as.

It's not a handheld, it's a hybrid console. It'll be the jack of all trades and master of absolutely none.
Should be a pretty good handheld with great specs. In terms of being a console, it's not worse than what Nintendo has been putting out for over a decade.

Kimawolf

Depression has set in this previously happy thread eh?
Eh not me. I dont see why people get so depressed over another set of rumors which only give a small tidbit of information yet leaves so much out.

Especially considering what some insiders jave said like Matt, and even if you for some reason think every rumor (positive) is shit, FROM already was able to get DS3 running at an acceptable level.

So why, 3 weeks before we see the thing in motion people take this set of incomplete rumors and run towards the most negative interpretation of it is beyond me.

Damn, Nintendo finally has no developers shitting 0n the system (wii u at this stage had devs laughing at it talking bout how its shit and they dont need much power for Mario) and now consumers shot 0n it based on admittedly incomplete info and use even more dubious info to extrapolate performance from. Its crazy.

LordKano

Also, you should remember that every reliable insiders (that have proven to be insiders) are pointing to a good third-party relation for the Switch, at least compared to the Wii U. Leaks from today doesn't mean that all of our old leaks were wrong. You have to take every information into account when thinkin about the Switch state. If third-parties manage to release their games with these specs, well, unless you wanted them with the best graphics (but you were choosing the wrong console since a long time) that would be fine.

Despite some posters going crazy and being depressed about it, devs are apparently happy with the specs on the machine. That may also be due to Nintendo having good developer tools for the system this time.

My mindset is that rumors have said:
  • Weaker than PS4
  • 2-3x more powerful than Wii U
What I expected:
  • Weaker than PS4
What I got:
  • Weaker than PS4

I think Nintendo's HD games look pretty great and it sounds like this will allow them to continue building on their HD experience while improving the image quality (720p on a portable is super crisp and 1080p on the TV looks great).
Having all of Nintendo's support on one system sounds pretty great as well. It felt like 3DS took a lot of Wii U's potential with repeated franchises and games choosing that platform over Wii U because of the installbase leading to inferior experiences, shouldn't be the case this time around.

MoonFrog

I'm not there for western AAA. I don't buy the vast majority of that stuff anywhere and I have a gaming PC, and now a PS4. So yes, I am part of the Nintendo audience that is out of touch with mainstream gaming and is not just waiting for it to come to Nintendo so I can play it.

The western games I do play, tend to lend themselves to PC and tend, many of them, to be PC exclusives. I'm talking strategy games and CRPG, games that lend themselves to mouse interfaces.

I would, however, prefer to buy hypothetical Japanese PS4/Switch multiplatforms on Switch. I like the hybrid capability; I would like to have a main system I spend most of my time with; I would like to support a one-stop Nintendo/Japan console, as I'd like to be able to resist a secondary PS system in the future, unless their first party becomes more attractive to me.

I would also be there for 3DS successor games.

And I'd be there for Nintendo.

My mindset is that rumors have said:
  • Weaker than PS4
What I expected:
  • Weaker than PS4
What I got:
  • Weaker than PS4

I think Nintendo's HD games look pretty great and it sounds like this will allow them to continue building on their HD experience while improving the image quality (720p on a portable is super crisp and 1080p on the TV looks great).
Having all of Nintendo's support on one system sounds pretty great as well. It felt like 3DS took a lot of Wii U's potential with repeated franchises and games choosing that platform over Wii U because of the installbase leading to inferior experiences, shouldn't be the case this time around.

Mostly this, I may have been riding a little higher but 2-3x Wii U is nebulous to me. Moreover, I really fail to see what the problem is. We'll know if there is a problem if shit is bad Jan 12th leading into launch and E3. If there are not a good amount of third party games for it after that, then we are in the bad scenario.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Yeah I agree with this. The USP of this device, "play your console games on the go" falls a bit flat if you can't play every typical console game. Not that I expect every multiplat on this thing but I'm at least hoping for the best.

I think this is especially true for the big hits like sport games and COD. Imagine next holiday a 229 euro bundle with FIFA 18.

oti

Banned
I just want a smooth handheld experience, man. I don't care about the overall hardware power. If I wanted a function but actually terrible handheld experience I'd use Remote Play on Vita. The Switch hands-on event will be either soul crushing or amazing.

I think this is especially true for the big hits like sport games and COD. Imagine next holiday a 229 euro bundle with FIFA 18.

Yeah this really is crucial for Nintendo's success in the west. This is poised to do great in Japan regardless of all of this, but if they want any success in the west they do need to ensure getting the "usual suspects" of multiplats. I think the fact that this feeds directly into their overall strategy with the Switch means that they've likely done so.

At least that's what I'm hoping.

Koren

Are we really expecting this to sell at $200 when the freaking 3ds xl is at $199. Are we being realistic?
Well, I still find the 3DS pricing a bit surprising... A 2DS with a game is something like 90€. I wonder why they haven't lowered the price. It'll probably drop after the holidays and when Switch hit.

Not that I think Switch will be $200, but I hope they can pull a $250...

Things have changed in video games, though. Consoles used to be sub-$100 near the end of their life. I was able to buy a spare PS2 and a spare Wii at that price (I'm talking about real, internet-enabled, GC compatible Wii, not the Wii Mini), and I wish I did the same with Dreamcast.

Prices were not dropped for Wii U and PS3. In fact, it's as expensive to buy a PS3 and a PS4 :/

Also, you should remember that every reliable insiders (that have proven to be insiders) are pointing to a good third-party relation for the Switch, at least compared to the Wii U.
I feel like I've heard this each generation, though. I fully expect many developpers to be interested, but reluctant to actually publish games at first, waiting for more visibility (or simply doing late ports). And a year or two later, it'll be late.

Not that I care that much, as long as Nintendo is profitable enough to go on...

Eliseo

Don't let the negativity of others get the best of you guys, being positive doesn't mean We are fooling Ourselves, on the contrary We know exactly what are we getting with Nintendo even more so with the Switch.
We are getting all the Nintendo IPs in one place and honestly I'm quite excited to be able to play pokemon and fire emblem on the big screen.

RootCause

I'm still super excited about it.

What I would like to know is the price of the system, and the games.

Also, what happens with series like Zelda which had two types of games(3D/top down) 3D Mario, and NSMB. Are we going to get one game of each series? or will they be making sequels during the lifespan of the system.

Really need my fix.

Ive got so many questions. :0

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member

I mean, the news certainly is disappointing, but not deal-breaking. I only ever care for games when it comes to Nintendo platforms, as it is always the secondary console with lots of local-multiplayer games for me. The prospect of inheriting both handheld and console software pipelines on one system was the most exciting aspect of this console from the onset. Hybrid and everything else is gravy because it means I won't have to be buying another handheld and console from them this time around.

I want to see the games! January cannot come soon enough

Scum

Father Brain speaks the truth. Anyone expecting Nintendo to get all/most AAA third party support is crAAAzy. If you want those so much, buy another system: PS4/XBO/PC.
Funny thing is, most of these people probably own a PS4 or an Xbox One for their AAA fix too. 😂

Oregano

Really, what's the logic here? That there's some vast, untapped audience of core gamers who prioritize AAA third-party games but don't already own a platform that can play them? Or that there's a vast, untapped audience of core gamers who *do* own one or more of those platforms, but will nonetheless buy Switch to play portable versions of games they don't actually need new hardware to play?

How big do you think the Venn diagram overlap is between "people who see RDR2 as a major selling point" and "people who don't already own PS4 or XB1?"

It's not just AAA third party games to be fair. A lot of emphasis has been placed on how Switch could grab third party support but with its current performance profile I'm not sure it's well equipped to do that. Developers have, or are in the process of, dropping Vita and PS3 Skus(as we've seen with the Falcom announcement today).

If those developers are feeling constrained by PS3(or maybe even Vita) the Switch might not fit their future projects.

MoonFrog

It's not just AAA third party games to be fair. A lot of emphasis has been placed on how Switch could grab third party support but with its current performance profile I'm not sure it's well equipped to do that. Developers, have or are in the process, of dropping Vita and PS3 Skus(as we've seen with the Falcom announcement today).

If those developers are feeling constrained by PS3(or maybe even Vita) the Switch might not fit their future projects.

Yep. I was sad reading that Falcom bit last night. Certainly makes it look like Switch might miss its window of opportunity by being too late to the table.

LordKano

I'm still super excited about it.

What I would like to know is the price of the system, and the games.

Also, what happens with series like Zelda which had two types of games(3D/top down) 3D Mario, and NSMB. Are we going to get one game of each series? or will they be making sequels during the lifespan of the system.

Really need my fix.

Ive got so many questions. :0

What I'm more puzzled about is what will happen to all these low-budget games on Nintendo handleds ? Like, Mario & Luigi, Pokémon Mystery Dungeon, Etrian Odyssey and stuff like that.

I have a hard time just picturing them in HD.

It's not just AAA third party games to be fair. A lot of emphasis has been placed on how Switch could grab third party support but with its current performance profile I'm not sure it's well equipped to do that. Developers have, or are in the process of, dropping Vita and PS3 Skus(as we've seen with the Falcom announcement today).

I don't see how Vita developers would have any difficulites with the Switch's power. It's vastly more powerful than the Vita was.

MoonFrog

What I'm more puzzled about is what will happen to all these low-budget games on Nintendo handleds ? Like, Mario & Luigi, Pokémon Mystery Dungeon, Etrian Odyssey and stuff like that.

I have a hard time just picturing them in HD.

I don't see how Vita developers would have any difficulites with the Switch's power. It's vastly more powerful than the Vita was.
The fear is cross gen is a closing thing. The weaker Switch is, the more it would be helped by cross gen being a thing.

The Falcom news was about dropping Vita.

Also, if devs successfully cut Vita out and transition to just PS4, there is less an impetus to do Switch as well.

It's better for Switch when titles still think they need Vita.

MacTag

Banned

Switch is substantially more capable than PS3 or Vita though. It's practically a generational jump over Vita in fact, your logic doesn't really follow here.

LordKano

The fear is cross gen is a closing thing. The weaker Switch is, the more it would be helped by cross gen being a thing.

The Falcom news was about dropping Vita.

But crossgen never ended in Japan. They may not make PS3 games anymore, but they are still making their games with PS3-like graphics, besides a few exceptions (I can only think of Final Fantasy, which is more of a western game, and Yakuza).

But more important, it's not a matter of "will they want to make Switch games", because they have to make them. PS4 games do not sell well in Japan, and having one more platform, powerful enough to develop on it is a matter of survival for some studios.

MoonFrog

But crossgen never ended in Japan. They may not make PS3 games anymore, but they are still making their games with PS3-like graphics, besides a few exceptions (I can only think of Final Fantasy, which is more of a western game, and Yakuza).
Yeah. Also read my edit, sorry for putting out post fast.

There are two issues:

Power issue, which tbh is less my core concern. It is Oregano's and there is something possibly there.

Then the issue of getting out of habit with Vita releases to supplement home console releases. If that habit is dropped and say Falcom becomes content with PS4 niche, there's less impetus to PS4/Switch.

Edit: as I've been saying, I think Vita niche titles are tougher to get on Switch than other Japanese titles.

I'd assume that devs making Vita+PS3+PS4 games will transition to PS4+Switch. Don't imagine Vita will have much of a market anywhere by the time Switch comes out.
Some Vita ports are pretty impressive like DQH2 so I imagine Switch will work out pretty well if it takes its place.
The worst thing I can see happening is that devs don't make exclusives for it anymore unlike 3DS where basically everything stayed on it.

Oregano

Moonfrog gets exactly what I mean. Those developers are now targeting the PS4 which is much more powerful than Switch regardless of how Switch compares to PS3.

But more important, it's not a matter of "will they want to make Switch games", because they have to make them. PS4 games do not sell well in Japan, and having one more platform, powerful enough to develop on it is a matter of survival for some studios.

As to the bolded I'm not sure that's true. A lot of developers are looking at Steam in the west to buoy their franchises and going full steam ahead on PS4 in Japan.

Switch is substantially more capable than PS3 or Vita though. It's practically a generational jump over Vita in fact, your logic doesn't really follow here.

Is it really more capable than PS3 though? From what we know it's going to be close to Wii U in portable mode which is the same class of hardware.

Vita it is a leap from but Vita versions have been subpar in a lot of cases and subnative games were ubiquitous. Switch seems to solidly aim at 720p portable and 1080p docked.

tr1p1ex

It doesn't really matter. It's all about perception. You think those images of the Wii U looking out the window people kept posting in announcement threads didn't mean anything? Try reading through Miiverse where players were asking for those new games like Dark Souls on the Wii U. There are tons of gamers out there who want different things, but that narrative where their system isn't going to get those games (for whatever reasons) is a drag. Sure, a lot of them could pick up the game on another system, but that doesn't mean they don't want the game on their "system of choice".

If none of this mattered, then we wouldn't be talking about it and it wouldn't be such a hot topic after all of these years. It's almost always about whether or not Nintendo's system will get 3rd party games. This is an important thing to many people and they want the option to get those games on the system.

*EDIT* I remember EA not jumping on the Dreamcast and them basically saying the system would fail without their support. This ended up being true...and ended up being true for the Wii U as well. I don't think it was ONLY about them, but a lot of people thought that was a lot of crap back then....

If that's the case, then the system is doomed. It'll be a haven for Nintendo only games and I don't think that's enough to get anywhere in this market. We all should want all the systems to get third party games. Players can then choose to play them on whatever system they want, for whatever reason they want.

YOu're right and wrong.

There is a benefit to having 3rd party games. Otherwise PS4 and X1 wouldn't exist. Obviously 3rd parties make titles that customer want. And some 3rd party titles sell extremely well.

YOu're wrong that by having 3rd party games that your system automatically does well.

Nintendo had great success with the Wii and no AAA 3rd party support. Gamecube had great AAA 3rd party support the first few years and didn't even sell 1/4 of what the Wii sold.

Also while MS has had great 3rd party support and hasn't had a Wii U level dud yet in terms of unit sales, it hasn't necessarily turned a profit overall in its Xbox business going back to day one. I am not even sure they are in the black with the X1 yet. I doubt it.

Also realize that PS3 might have lost Sony more money than the Wii U lost for Nintendo even though the PS3 sold 80 million units and Nintendo sold 13 million Wii Us.

LordKano

As to the bolded I'm not sure that's true. A lot of developers are looking at Steam in the west to buoy their franchises and going full steam ahead on PS4 in Japan.

Going full steam ahead on PS4 in Japan don't work. Games doesn't sell on it, that's why they need to also make Vita games, That's something you can't deny. Not all of them are successful on Steam, it's still a selective market.

If it sell well in Japan, japanese third-parties will jump on it ASAP. That's a certainty.

MoonFrog

I'd assume that devs making Vita+PS3+PS4 games will transition to PS4+Switch. Don't imagine Vita will have much of a market anywhere by the time Switch comes out.
Some Vita ports are pretty impressive like DQH2 so I imagine Switch will work out pretty well if it takes its place.
The worst thing I can see happening is that devs don't make exclusives for it anymore unlike 3DS where basically everything stayed on it.
I think people who do PS4/PS3 to Vita, this makes sense. Especially if there's no gap where no handheld version happens.

People who are growing out of Vita/PSP, like Falcom...it's more dubious.

MoonFrog

Going full steam ahead on PS4 in Japan don't work. Games doesn't sell on it, that's why they need to also make Vita games, That's something you can't deny. Not all of them are successful on Steam, it's still a selective market.

If it sell well in Japan, japanese third-parties will jump on it ASAP. That's a certainty.
I think this is true for medium ambition games, not true for games that have high western ambitions or niche ambitions. The latter two are harder to wrangle.

If I'm correct the Falcon games haven't been doing well on Steam. If we look at the Trails in Sky series the first one did well, but the second game had a huge drop off.

So while Steam may help in some cases it doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom