• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacTag

Banned
Also Tales of the Abyss was five years ago and bombed. It was after Abyss' release(as well as after the Vita remakes) that they said they would be sticking to PlayStation.
Abyss 3DS didn't bomb. It sold in line with the previous handheld ports in Japan and in the west it's one of the best selling games in the entire series.

IIRC the problem with Vespera is that Microsoft owns the western translation, so they would have to retranslate it.
I believe 8-4 clairified this wasn't the case.

Oregano

Abyss 3DS didn't bomb. It sold in line with the previous handheld ports in Japan and in the west it's one of the best selling games in the entire series.

I believe 8-4 clairified this wasn't the case.

Nah, it's a shame because it was a good port but they expected 250k copies sold in Japan for Tales of the Abyss and it barely did half that. In the west it might have done okay but not enough for them to localise Reve Unitia or follow up with any other Tales games.

I actually thought that this forum tries to maintain some standards, but apparently I've gravely misjudged the whole place.

I am at loss. There is NO place in the internet where one could have level-headed discussion about Nintendo without certain type of people appearing.

Sucks so bad. Well, have fun all. Back to lurking I'll go, maybe I'll check the reveal thread.

Neoxon

Sonic and NBA are the only one's shown in an official capacity and it's not clear whether they are the same game or bespoke versions.

Dragon Quest X is a Wii game
Dragon Quest XI is on 3DS
Skyrim is a last gen game
Dark Souls might not even exist
Guardians of the Galaxy is a mobile game like every other Telltale game

As an added bonus Just Dance is a Wii game too and Lego City Undercover is a Wii U game.
We don't even know which version of DQXI the Switch will be based on.

MoonFrog

it takes one negative leak to spoil everything.
TBH everything I've said I said before the leak.

It has always been a big question what kind of support this thing is going to have and I have always tried to tie my posts dreaming of what Switch could do to the very real ignorance we are in and the many ways 3rd party stuff could not pan out.

This has, again, nothing to do with the leak.

Edit: This comes with the territory. Nintendo is between mobile and the foothold western corebox gaming has in Japan. Both of these markets can leach support. Ideally Nintendo is in a position to encourage multi platform at a certain level of the Japanese industry and Switch is a device that hemorrhages minimal support to mobile from 3DS.

At this point I'm kind of done with Nintendo threads on GAF. I'm use to negativity, I mean hell I deal with it everyday, but GAF is on another fucking level especially in regards to Nintendo. Seriously I've been trying to ignore it but its too much. I hope the people who love spreading negativity are happy now.

I'm going to stay away from Nintendo threads until the January event. I hope by then all this negativity will die down. Who am I kidding it will probably be the same.

Eliseo

At this point I'm kind of done with Nintendo threads on GAF. I'm use to negativity, I mean hell I deal with it everyday, but GAF is on another fucking level especially in regards to Nintendo. Seriously I've been trying to ignore it but its too much. I hope the people who love spreading negativity are happy now.

I'm going to stay away from Nintendo threads until the January event. I hope by then all this negativity will die down. Who am I kidding it will probably be the same.

I agree, no matter what Nintendo does it's always doom and gloom smh.

I see what you mean but I kinda honestly see where the negativity is coming from: Nintendo is just coming off of what was by far their biggest commercial failure in the home console market. Naturally there's going to be a lot more cynicism and also pressure on Nintendo's part to turn things around.

MoonFrog

I mean, the "doom and gloom" has its place. I think, if we dream, which I do as evidenced repeatedly throughout this thread, it is incumbent upon us to realize that there are ways it could fall apart, ways, in which it has fallen apart in the past as well as new obstacles of the future.

There is calling it a loss beforehand and then there is looking at it critically and seeing both how it may work out and how it may not.

Scum

No more 200X PowerPC and GPU tech.
No more exotically designed hardware.
No more poor tools and outdated APIs.
I, for one, welcome our modern day Maxwell powered Overlords.

I don't understand why some of the Japanese developers produce their games only on PS4 when some of them don't even sell well. I mean some of the vita versions end up selling better than their PS4 versions. Like the new Falcom game only being on PS4 is weird due to the fact their Vita versions of their series sell well. What happens when it doesn't sell well on PS4 because its only on that system?

Is the PS4 their only option even when the situation is dire in Japan.

Which ones are you talking about specifically because I see this claim brought up often and usually the person only looks at Japanese sales, ignoring how overseas sales is one of the biggest reasons why PS4 gets so much support.

If you're talking about Cold Steel, Falcom specifically mentions overseas sales (and their domestic market isn't going to change too much: 230k -> 180k)

MoonFrog

Which ones are you talking about specifically because I see this claim brought up often and usually the person only looks at Japanese sales, ignoring how overseas sales is one of the biggest reasons why PS4 gets so much support.

If you're talking about Cold Steel, Falcom specifically mentions overseas sales (and their domestic market isn't going to change too much: 230k -> 180k)

Which is why so much of Switch potential in this regard is about multiplatform: letting developers chase the west on PS4 and Japan on a Switch. If said developer isn't chasing Japan, but content with their niche there and just looking west to supplement, then the Switch has limited appeal. If the developer is looking to be on a portable console in Japan and be on the main console of the west, then Switch has appeal. It is this sort of DQXI calculus that Nintendo has to encourage by lowering the barriers to choosing to do that.

So: a) It needs to sell to Japan, b) Nintendo needs to convince developers of this vision, c) it needs to be easy to port too.

Unless mobile completely takes Nintendo's lunch, the device will sell in Japan through, say, Pokemon, and probably outsell PS4. The more it outsells PS4 by domestically the better.

B is the most dubious at this time, but it feeds into how far A goes, which also feeds into B in terms of bringing in late-comers. Moreover B is going to be diversely attractive to developers. Again, less attractive to companies buckling down on niches and companies pushing for competition with western AAA (e.g. SE with FFXV). More attractive to companies looking to grow domestic audience.

Nothing we have had leaked discounts the possibility of C). More power would be nice, but that could cut into portability and hurt A). Moreover, power isn't the most decisive issue with Japanese software.

Edit: And I'll repeat: Switch is exactly the device, conceptually speaking, which Nintendo should be putting out. Exactly. Is the specs/price ratio going to be exactly right? Idk. But this device has so much potential. Despite that, it is very much still an issue of making that potential actual.

MacTag

Banned
Nah, it's a shame because it was a good port but they expected 250k copies sold in Japan for Tales of the Abyss and it barely did half that. In the west it might have done okay but not enough for them to localise Reve Unitia or follow up with any other Tales games.
It did 150k and they never gave any projections either. You really need to start looking this stuff up.

It sold over 200k in the west too iirc.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
At least considering the state of the gaming development support on Mac there's nothing surprising in that statement.

Oregano

This is like Square "expecting" FFXV to sell 10 million. It's an offhand comment from a producer at Tales Studio.

Meanwhile Bandai Namco actually projected the entire Tales of Series to only do 400k in Japan that year.

http://www.bandainamco.co.jp/en/ir/library/pdf/presentation/en_20110510_Presentation.pdf

Fair enough but 400k for the whole series was a ridiculously low projection considering they released Abyss 3D, Innocence Vita and Xillia(which did much more on its own).

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So you're just gonna ignore the part about iOS, or... ?

I haven't read too much about iOS and games development or games performance, that's why. A quick search brings me to this:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9223/gfxbench-3-metal-ios

A comparison of Metal vs. OpenGL on iOS:

74166.png
I don't know if the situation has changed since then, but reading the follow-up tweets to the one you linked it seems it has not.

Still, it's great that Nintendo is fully supporting OpenGL and Vulkan.

Pachimari

Fuck specs. I'm here for the Nintendo games and 3DS-like titles. Give me Pokémon, Animal Crossing, Yokai Watch and F-Zero.

Although Metroid, Donkey Kong, Mario and Zelda doesn't do much for me at the moment, well besides Super Mario Run.

Which is why so much of Switch potential in this regard is about multiplatform: letting developers chase the west on PS4 and Japan on a Switch. If said developer isn't chasing Japan, but content with their niche there and just looking west to supplement, then the Switch has limited appeal. If the developer is looking to be on a portable console in Japan and be on the main console of the west, then Switch has appeal. It is this sort of DQXI calculus that Nintendo has to encourage by lowering the barriers to choosing to do that.

So: a) It needs to sell to Japan, b) Nintendo needs to convince developers of this vision, c) it needs to be easy to port too.

Unless mobile completely takes Nintendo's lunch, the device will sell in Japan through, say, Pokemon, and probably outsell PS4. The more it outsells PS4 by domestically the better.

B is the most dubious at this time, but it feeds into how far A goes, which also feeds into B in terms of bringing in late-comers. Moreover B is going to be diversely attractive to developers. Again, less attractive to companies buckling down on niches and companies pushing for competition with western AAA (e.g. SE with FFXV). More attractive to companies looking to grow domestic audience.

Nothing we have had leaked discounts the possibility of C). More power would be nice, but that could cut into portability and hurt A). Moreover, power isn't the most decisive issue with Japanese software.

Edit: And I'll repeat: Switch is exactly the device, conceptually speaking, which Nintendo should be putting out. Exactly. Is the specs/price ratio going to be exactly right? Idk. But this device has so much potential. Despite that, it is very much still an issue of making that potential actual.

I guess its the best option in a post PS4 world but its major flaw is assuming Japanese sales are worth pursuing in all cases. Something like MH and DQ, it definitely is but for something like for instance Valkyria Chronicles it isn't. Japanese pubs are increasingly looking away from the domestic market as the potential in foreign markets is far more rewarding.

Philippo

So i was thinking, do you guys think it's feasible for Nintendo to publish, let's say a couple of years down the road, something like a Dock Pro, witch actual hardware inside of it, that can output to TVs in 4K? Would make for a nice compromise between being able to follow Sony and MS in the 4K market and releasing a whole new revision of the console too soon and at a higher price.
But maybe something like this would have been already filed into the recent patents?

I agree, no matter what Nintendo does it's always doom and gloom smh.

There are akways certain people who try to turn the direction of this threads into negativity, some are console war fanboys, some work in marketing, some are simply trolls. As long as people respond to these hilarious negative post they win.

MoonFrog

I guess its the best option in a post PS4 world but its major flaw is assuming Japanese sales are worth pursuing in all cases. Something like MH and DQ, it definitely is but for something like for instance Valkyria Chronicles it isn't. Japanese pubs are increasingly looking away from the domestic market as the potential in foreign markets is far more rewarding.
Which is depressing as hell: Japanese gaming and Japanese development quality would benefit from most software on the core console of Japan, i.e. the Nintendo handheld. A mainstream Japanese audience is how games can work out of the niches they've built themselves into and be less dependent on being what the west wants or wants out of Japan. This is the way, if there is any, to a different gaming future for Japan, but Nintendo needs to work against the idea that there is no such future. Sony has moved on, and so will many 3rd parties, if they haven't already, absent work Nintendo does to press them to do otherwise.

Nintendo needs to sell that vision, i.e. get Japan on board with the "save Japan" cause Iwata Nintendo took on, starting in GCN days when it was "make Japan Nintendo territory" instead. That cause evolved with Wii/DS and now it evolves again as Nintendo looks at the fact that 1/3 of 3DS sales are in Japan and Japan is where most partnerships it has are. This is the market position Nintendo has cornered itself into, and it could go very badly for them because of it, but I'm also, atm, glad because insofar as they are successful, they are doing exactly what I want to be done in gaming.

AniHawk

the ps4 has not been the ps2 over here when it comes to japanese games. it hasn't even been the ps3.

the situation is tough. if devs were making games for ps vita/ps4, the most logical next step is switch/ps4. the other option is ps4/xb1/steam or ps4/steam, and that will probably be the case for the really big franchises with traditional western appeal like final fantasy and resident evil. all the mid-tier stuff and lower like falcom's games, atlus/sega's games, and nis's games, will find their way to the switch.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Don't know if posted but there will be a switch event in Germany.

It will be in Frankfurt am Main, Munich and Berlin.
They only have 36 Tickets but you can take one friend with you.

http://www.nintendo.de/News/2016/Dezember/Nintendo-Switch-Fan-Event-1168429.html

Also, MyNintendo members in Australia started getting invites for an hands on event in Melbourne

http://www.vooks.net/aussie-nintendo-members-receiving-invites-switch-hands-event/

I wonder when we'll get news for Italy :p

A lot of passionate Nintendo fans on GAF, so an easy way for trolls to get attention is to bash Nintendo.

So i was thinking, do you guys think it's feasible for Nintendo to publish, let's say a couple of years down the road, something like a Dock Pro, witch actual hardware inside of it, that can output to TVs in 4K? Would make for a nice compromise between being able to follow Sony and MS in the 4K market and releasing a whole new revision of the console too soon and at a higher price.
But maybe something like this would have been already filed into the recent patents?

I think it's more like they will release a Switch "Lite" to actually replace the 3DS. As it is now, the Switch is too bulky to act as the next dedicated handheld.

A lot of passionate Nintendo fans on GAF, so an easy way for trolls to get attention is to bash Nintendo.

Maybe they shouldn't see criticisms of Nintendo as personal attacks (or calling people who have criticisms a "troll", since that's a cop-out), it's not healthy.

LordKano

the ps4 has not been the ps2 over here when it comes to japanese games. it hasn't even been the ps3.

the situation is tough. if devs were making games for ps vita/ps4, the most logical next step is switch/ps4. the other option is ps4/xb1/steam or ps4/steam, and that will probably be the case for the really big franchises with traditional western appeal like final fantasy and resident evil. all the mid-tier stuff and lower like falcom's games, atlus/sega's games, and nis's games, will find their way to the switch.

Yep, that's exactly why I'm confident in the Switch. Japanese third-parties do not have a choice here, they need the Switch to be successful, for their own survival.
That's also why Atlus, SEGA and NIS were all on the list released by Nintendo.

I think it's more like they will release a Switch "Lite" to actually replace the 3DS. As it is now, the Switch is too bulky to act as the next dedicated handheld.

Maybe they shouldn't see criticisms of Nintendo as personal attacks (or calling people who have criticisms a "troll", since that's a cop-out), it's not healthy.

Im not talking about criticisms, just the flamish outrage posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom