• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdanVC

Not gif countdown hype yet? :(

tumblr_n3r5zoQeXm1ryhnd5o3_1280.png

Not even the PS4 Pro can produce such lifelike stuffed animal graphics.

Dremorak

Banned
Holy shit lol. Reminds me of how the fruit in pikmin 3 was amazing to look at. I love Nintendo's recent physically based rendering style

ManeKast

And I don't understand how anyone could be "hardcore gamer" and completely trash talk any system (the only exception if and only if that system were badly design from a hardware perspective like system failing levels like RROD Xbox 360). A "hardcore gamer" wouldn't mind the "causal gamer" because a "hardcore gamer" would be happy that people are playing games period. A "hardcore gamer" wouldn't throw insults like "waggle gimmick" or "touchscreen gimmick" around. Even if the "hardcore gamer" didn't even like a certain games the "hardcore gamer" would be still be glad that people are partaking in the hobby. A "hardcore gamer" wouldn't be jumping for joy and hoping for Nintendo to fail so that Nintendo games can appear on a PS4 or Xbox or PC. A "hardcore" gamer would appreciate that platform differentiation.

Thank you for that. Saving this quote. Perfect.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
And I don't understand how anyone could be "hardcore gamer" and completely trash talk any system (the only exception if and only if that system were badly design from a hardware perspective like system failing levels like RROD Xbox 360). A "hardcore gamer" wouldn't mind the "causal gamer" because a "hardcore gamer" would be happy that people are playing games period. A "hardcore gamer" wouldn't throw insults like "waggle gimmick" or "touchscreen gimmick" around. Even if the "hardcore gamer" didn't even like a certain games the "hardcore gamer" would be still be glad that people are partaking in the hobby. A "hardcore gamer" wouldn't be jumping for joy and hoping for Nintendo to fail so that Nintendo games can appear on a PS4 or Xbox or PC. A "hardcore" gamer would appreciate that platform differentiation.
Let me add to that, gamers should appreciate Switch making hardcore/console games playable in new situations. It's only theoretically as long as we don't know the lineup, sure. But why wouldn't gamers enjoy the perspective to play games they love in other places than the living room? I'm sure Switch can offer a great Fifa, Rocket League, Street Fighter, etc.

Once/if such titles are confirmed, Switch/Nintendo doubters will have a weird positionning to hold, regarding this "hardcore gamers" entitlement.

I don't understand how you could be a hardcore gamer and just own a Nintendo console though. What about Last of Us, Uncharted, AAA games, fighting games, exclusives, etc? How could you not want to play those?

PC was still a thing when NES was out, and is still a thing while current consoles are out.

If you take this logic to its natural conclusion, you end up seriously believing that PC is Master Race and hardcore gamers can't just play on consoles.

Hardcore gamers are just people who play and purchase games more often than the average player, who if we're being honest probably only buys 3-5 games over the course of a generation. You could be a hardcore Wii Sports player if you played it enough and developed skills that the average Wii Sports player doesn't have.

Snakeyes

I guess its the best option in a post PS4 world but its major flaw is assuming Japanese sales are worth pursuing in all cases. Something like MH and DQ, it definitely is but for something like for instance Valkyria Chronicles it isn't. Japanese pubs are increasingly looking away from the domestic market as the potential in foreign markets is far more rewarding.
Of course they're worth pursuing. Nowadays, the main demographics that are still able to fit home consoles into their lifestyle in Japan are children, some high school/college students and otaku, and the type of games being developed will soon begin to reflect that, if they haven't already.

Unless you want most PS4 games coming out of Japan to eventually be niche games that recoup part of their development cost through selling merchandise to otaku or Japanese assumptions of what Westerners like (see the "Americans like action, don't they? Let's make everything into an action RPG!" trend in many PS4 games announced recently), there has to be a way for developers to reach their handheld-centric domestic market alongside the console/PC market for everywhere else.

Of course they're worth pursuing. Nowadays, the main demographics that are still able to fit home consoles into their lifestyle in Japan are children, some high school/college students and otaku, and the type of games being developed will soon begin to reflect that, if they haven't already.

Unless you want most PS4 games coming out of Japan to eventually be niche games that recoup part of their development cost through selling merchandise to otaku or Japanese assumptions of what Westerners like (see the "Americans like action, don't they? Let's make everything into an action RPG!" trend in many PS4 games announced recently), there has to be a way for developers to reach their handheld-centric domestic market alongside the console/PC market for everywhere else.

If rule was what psychomantis is saying there, then again you can just ask back in 84 when Nintendo went after the US market when it was already dead. Always got a chance to change things around. Not saying Switch will have success like NES, but the way Nintendo are marketing this thing is similar to how the NES was. Calling the product whatever they like regardless of whats in the box.Except its true this time, this is a hybrid. But people will buy it for whatever purpose they want.

GCN VC was teased by Eurogamer. While we don't know how it'll be handled (If it's just native res or not...or if it can even run on portable mode) where would we stand on 3DS emulation?
Wii U got DS emulation, I feel like Nintendo might want to capitalize on that library. Too many games to remaster and they'd require a lot more work to be acceptable.

Kicko

Amen.

Pokemaniac

GCN VC was teased by Eurogamer. While we don't know how it'll be handled (If it's just native res or not...or if it can even run on portable mode) where would we stand on 3DS emulation?
Wii U got DS emulation, I feel like Nintendo might want to capitalize on that library. Too many games to remaster and they'd require a lot more work to be acceptable.

3DS software probably wouldn't need a full emulator to run. The Switch should be capable of running 3DS software more or less natively, with the only potential for complications coming from remapping some graphics calls.

Terrell

Exactly. I feel like I'm risking getting banned if I even dare to criticize Nintendo. It feels like they've reached Godlike status and if you have anything negative to say, it's blasphemy.

I'm sorry, but.... what?!

I don't understand how you could be a hardcore gamer and just own a Nintendo console though. What about Last of Us, Uncharted, AAA games, fighting games, exclusives, etc? How could you not want to play those? I can understand if you are a hardcore Nintendo fan and only care about Nintendo games but if you want a complete gaming experience, you aren't getting it from Nintendo and have to own a PC, PS4 or XB1 as a companion system and that's my problem with their continued direction.

They should be gunning for #1 and the only system you need. You want GTA? It's here and runs better than the other consoles. I don't like them settling for 3rd or even 4th place but that's what they are doing.

You don't go from where Nintendo is now to where you want them to be overnight. Sometimes, you have to take smaller steps in the right direction. It may be a weaker console, but not nearly to the same degree as we have seen in the past with them, so any step in the right direction should be considered a positive.

At the end of the day, whether Nintendo succeeds or fails in a generation (especially one where things are essentially established) shouldn't ultimately be our concern, so long as they took measures to improve their position. But ultimately, the only concern we should have is whether what Nintendo is offering is enough to warrant our money.

Wii was a half-measure in that regard, trying to completely carve a new place for themselves that could not be sustained. Wii U was a miserable failure on every front and many people acknowledge that. Switch is making some pretty positive moves from a long-term perspective, and long-term thinking has been part of what was missing from Nintendo's most recent approaches to gaming.

I don't expect a runaway success with Switch, but it will be an improvement, and that's not exactly nothing. There are still factors involved in me making a decision to buy one, so I tend to discuss factors that could legitimately improve or hinder what is most important to me in my next Nintendo hardware purchase, and how much value that offers me. For some, a Switch will be all they require from a gaming device. For others, it offers no value whatsoever. No console has ever been an irresistible must-have purchase, dating all the way back to the beginning of video games themselves, and trying to be all things to all people does not work.

In the case of Smash 4, I don't think there's some huge improvements on graphics. We'll probably see more performance improvements. For example, in 8-player Smash hazards in stages are turned off in the Wii U version. The Switch version, with more power under the hood, can make hazards in 8-player mode possible.

Who in their right minds wants stage hazards? It should be optional to turn them off.. Would make so many stages more playable.

Neoxon

In the case of Smash 4, I don't think there's some huge improvements on graphics. We'll probably see more performance improvements. For example, in 8-player Smash hazards in stages are turned off in the Wii U version. The Switch version, with more power under the hood, can make hazards in 8-player mode possible.
How about no.

random25

Who in their right minds wants stage hazards? It should be optional to turn them off.. Would make so many stages more playable.

Hazards have been in Smash Bros games since...forever? I'm just stating the possibilities of additional processing power for 1080p/60fps games like Smash Wii U.

How about no.

Hey, it's not like it's some 1v1 or 2v2 "my lunch money depends on this match" type when you play 8-player Smash.

MCN

Banned
I don't understand how you could be a hardcore gamer and just own a Nintendo console though. What about Last of Us, Uncharted, AAA games, fighting games, exclusives, etc? How could you not want to play those? I can understand if you are a hardcore Nintendo fan and only care about Nintendo games but if you want a complete gaming experience, you aren't getting it from Nintendo and have to own a PC, PS4 or XB1 as a companion system and that's my problem with their continued direction.

They should be gunning for #1 and the only system you need. You want GTA? It's here and runs better than the other consoles. I don't like them settling for 3rd or even 4th place but that's what they are doing.

I remember reading posts like this when the Wii was revealed.

This is a good sign.

Barring people that simply don't like those games, this strategy would actually just lead to them even doing worse. There are already 60-70 million consoles out there that people already established all their games and friends lists and etc on. They will also release new ones in 2019 most likely in Playstation's case. Why would Nintendo want to go that route? Maybe if their release cycle was synced to that of the PS4/X1 but it isn't. All they really can do is differentiate themselves because copycatting is not really something that generally leads to success UNLESS the market for the 3 overlapping system is just absolutely dying to play Zelda or Mario but thinking of COD kids and people who like games like TLOU I just don't see that happening.

oti

Banned

I know someone who is like this. He can play whatever he wants but it bums me out a bit. I told him he should play The Last of Us since it's amazing and he told me "I only play what Nintendo gives me and that's enough". Dude's missing out on so many great games. 😩

However, this:

This is fan fiction. Nintendo isn't a multimedia giant like Sony or a software giant like Microsoft. Nintendo sells toys and video games. I don't understand how people can't grasp this economic reality.

random25

The other side is also true, then. How can you be a hardcore gamer if you don't own a Nintendo console? You'll miss out on games that are not developed or published exclusively for that platform.

"The only system you need" will never ever be true. Why? Because of exclusives, and that's the one huge differentiating factor of the consoles anyway. If you only own an XBO, you'll also miss out on The Last of Us, Uncharted, Bloodborne, etc. If you only own a PS4, you'll also miss out on all the XBO exclusives unless they get to be on Windows 10 too, which you'll also need a PC, and that's another platform. Even if Nintendo's new console is the most powerful ever that gets all the games from 3rd party, you will still need to buy another console if you want to play the other exclusives competitors offer.

Let me add to that, gamers should appreciate Switch making hardcore/console games playable in new situations. It's only theoretically as long as we don't know the lineup, sure. But why wouldn't gamers enjoy the perspective to play games they love in other places than the living room? I'm sure Switch can offer a great Fifa, Rocket League, Street Fighter, etc.

t.

Yeah, I think the one on one, opposite each other stuff we saw in the reveal trailer to be the main marketing point of (hopefully) sports game such as Fifa and Fighters like Street Fighter. Not a new way to play games, but it is a.. not a new experience, but an experience that hasn't really been utilised in games before, but we all know what it feels like to play competitively against each other. The one on one certainly adds to that experience.

Andyliini

It's either the coolest or the dumbest idea. Not sure which one it is tbh:

Maybe Switch should have Joy-Con connectors on top and bottom of the screen too, so you could hold the screen vertically, too. That would be optimal for DS Virtual Console, too. Don't know if that would work in reality, though.

Peltz

KOLAN.gif

Got an email through this morning to say I won tickets to go to the preview event in London on the 14th, yay!

So, Gaf, what should I be on the lookout for? If you guys have hardware/software questions let me know and I'll try my very best to find out for you :)

Got an email through this morning to say I won tickets to go to the preview event in London on the 14th, yay!

So, Gaf, what should I be on the lookout for? If you guys have hardware/software questions let me know and I'll try my very best to find out for you :)

I just got my email for this as well, live in Ireland though so it's a bit of a pain to get over. Still gonna try!

doop_

Banned

Same, I live Ghana so sadly I cannot attend.

You're the best! I feel like I'd want to know more about the IR sensor that's supposedly on the bottom of the right joycon. Other than that I would say just enjoy the games! I'm bummed that I didn't get an invite as I'm close enough to New York, but oh well.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Eh, I don't define the term "hardcore gamer" by what games said gamer plays, more to the extent of which they play them. One guy could own only a Wii and Donkey Kong Country, yet if the dude is doing speedruns and spending most of the day mastering the system, he's "hardcore" in my eyes. Just owning Sony's AAA titles like the Last of Us doesn't make you hardcore. Heck, most "casual" fans will purchase the AAA titles as they garner the most attention.

asagami_

Banned
It's either the coolest or the dumbest idea. Not sure which one it is tbh:

I thought this before, especially for DS/3DS games like what says Andyliini. A Nintendo Wonderswan xD But it's too big. I hope this could translate in a feasible idea in a future, someway.

Ristifer

I pray for GCN VC on the Switch.

foltzie1

Are there any promising projects that dynamically translate POWERPC binaries to ARM binaries?

Dolphin has an ARM branch, but I have no idea about its performance.

Details? From Nintendo!? Lol, they never give out specs beyond basics.

I'm not talking about specs at all. While I enjoy reading about that stuff as a lover of tech, nothing spec-wise will change my purchase decision. I just want to know things like price, release date, launch games, and when the hell I can pre-order the thing.

You're the best! I feel like I'd want to know more about the IR sensor that's supposedly on the bottom of the right joycon. Other than that I would say just enjoy the games! I'm bummed that I didn't get an invite as I'm close enough to New York, but oh well.

I'll keep a look out. I have no idea what they'll let us actually do with the device, but I'll try and get a good look at all of the hardware :)

Peltz

Eh, I don't define the term "hardcore gamer" by what games said gamer plays, more to the extent of which they play them. One guy could own only a Wii and Donkey Kong Country, yet if the dude is doing speedruns and spending most of the day mastering the system, he's "hardcore" in my eyes. Just owning Sony's AAA titles like the Last of Us doesn't make you hardcore. Heck, most "casual" fans will purchase the AAA titles as they garner the most attention.

I don't even think the phrases "hardcore gamer" or "casual gamer" should be used at all. They're to ambiguous.

Is someone who spends 1,000 dollars a year on mobile games and microtransactions for 1 or 2 games more or less hardcore than the PC enthusiast who spends 700 dollars a year to upgrade his graphics card then buys 20 games on the cheap during steam sales for another hundred? There is no clear answer. We are talking about different genres of both hardware and software.

In this case, both are gamers. And both are pretty dedicated to their games. And both are financially invested in their hobby.

More importantly, the overall market is large enough to accommodate them both and we should encourage that they both be accommodated.

As much as I love Rocket League, Demon's Souls, Metal Slug, Zelda, Mario, etc... by far my most fond gaming moment was when my father, who otherwise hates videogames, actually came over to my apartment and played Wii Sports with me. It allowed us to bond over a videogame for first time in decades since the NES.

I would be thrilled to have more experiences like this with him as well as other people who simply do not have the time or patience to sit down and learn how to pull off an insane Guilty Gear combo or learn dual analogue controls or put on a VR headset. To me, videogames are not only about graphics or immersion, or technology (although they can be).

They are games first, similar to card games, word games, board games, dice games, and drinking games. Technology does not necessarily make these types of experiences more fun. And the same is true with videogames. It's nice to have access to insanely cutting edge graphics. But if that's how you determine what is or is not worth playing, or what hardware is worth buying... well, I'm sorry but you're doing it wrong.

Peltz

In this video Zelda: BotW looks gorgious are Nintendo using cheap capture software/hardware or something? All their streams looked washed out in colours but in this video it looks amazing.

Day one for me also if either Mario/Zelda launches that day.

All of Nintendo's captures from the Wii U look like shit. It's been happening all generation.

Neoxon

Once/if such titles are confirmed, Switch/Nintendo doubters will have a weird positionning to hold, regarding this "hardcore gamers" entitlement.
Sony kinda has SFV on lock-down as far as consoles go, & USFIV is basically dead competitively, soooo......

Neoxon

Is Infinite exclusive to PS4, I don't remember.

The Switch could maybe get that one if not.
MvCI is PS4/XB1/PC. I was hoping that it could be announced next month for the Switch, but then Eurogamer leaked the clock speeds.

I thought SFV was Sony funded?

I could be wrong
It is, & SFV is a PS4 console-exclusive as a result of that. It'll remain that way unless Sony says otherwise.

Sponge

Banned
MvCI is PS4/XB1/PC. I was hoping that it could be announced next month for the Switch, but then Eurogamer leaked the clock speeds.

I'm hopeful they'll do a Switch port. They managed to port down Ultimate Marvel on the Vita, so I feel like they could make it happen on Switch if they really wanted to.

I'm hopeful they'll do a Switch port. They managed to port down Ultimate Marvel on the Vita, so I feel like they could make it happen on Switch if they really wanted to.

Didn't they also port Street Fighter IV to the 3DS? I've been repeating this a lot lately, but I really don't think that the overall hardware for the Switch will prevent ports. If the userbase is there and Nintendo makes things accessible enough for developers, they'll find a way to make a game work.

I do not expect 1 to 1 ports of third party games for Switch, but I'm perfectly ok with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom