• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch | Hardware Review Thread

Lothars

His was way more apt. The ones that want it to fail are a very small number. Anyone else has issues with the system from what we've seen and there is a decent amount of issues that can be discussed before anyone gets it in their hands.

It doesn't mean it won't be a cool system or have some really good things going for it but it has issues and I want to talk about all of it not just one side.

N30RYU

ozDbkgP.png

Totally agree with this. Why review the system before it gets to its launch day state? If Nintendo does indeed launch a firmware update between now and midnight, March 3rd, then the unit being reviewed by outlets won't be the same one that we get. So...what's the point?

What's the point then for nintendo to send consoles to the reviewers if they need to wait till launch day to get a launch firmware?

So far, they're marketing it as a video game console.
They need to change that

XandBosch

IGN seems spot on to say its too big for a portable and too underpowered for a home console.

Nintendo just needs to provide the games and lower pricing, and eventually, a mini handheld version

Especially in Canada, the pricing is too high, but the merging of handheld and home console should promise a fantastic library in time.

Im still doubtful that this will sell significantly better than the WiiU. I just dont see why people care when most kids love the big games on PS4/Xbox/PC, and not Nintendo games anymore

See, I still see this as an old way of thinking. Maybe I'm just odd, but the fact that I can take games with me and play them on the TV is HUGE. I don't give a shit if when it's plugged into the TV it's underpowered compared to my PS4, because I can take it with me to work, or to the bathroom, etc. Suddenly my PS4 seems boring as fuck because it's so held down. It's not really an underpowered console or a big handheld, because it's somewhere in the middle.

Also, it's not too big, more than a few outlets have said it fits in your pocket, what the hell more do you want lol.

IGN seems spot on to say its too big for a portable and too underpowered for a home console.

Nintendo just needs to provide the games and lower pricing, and eventually, a mini handheld version

Especially in Canada, the pricing is too high, but the merging of handheld and home console should promise a fantastic library in time.

Im still doubtful that this will sell significantly better than the WiiU. I just dont see why people care when most kids love the big games on PS4/Xbox/PC, and not Nintendo games anymore

They're really the only outlet that have commented on it being too big.

You are right in that it should not be considered acceptable in 2017.

I dunno, how many complex assets are there really in the main menu? It's mostly text, lines and some glyphs, right? The games' images are more detailed, but they still don't seem like large assets.
Well, consider that Nintendo is using as little RAM as possible for the OS (0.75 GB or so) to give as much as possible to game developers (3.25 GB). It's probably possible to do 1080p with that much RAM, but I guess it wasn't a priority for now, and they wanted to leave room for other OS features or wait until the UI could be better optimized.

You could say that about anything though. If you're not interested in Uncharted, Bloodborne etc. Wait for the Pro or the Scorpio. I doubt the new iteration would be out before Mario Odessy and the Christmas exclusives.

I know, and I agree. There won't be a revision for at least 1-2 years. It's a really silly thing to say at launch.

Telegraph review, 4/5.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...-review-fascinating-video-game-console-years/

As far as Day One is concerned, much will come down to if you are the type of person who needs to be on the zeitgeist with new technology and, more pressingly, how much you want to play the superior version of Breath of the Wild. To which the answer, I would suggest, is ‘a lot’.

There is some argument that such a game will swallow your time enough that by the time you are done, there will be more out there for Switch ready to play. Buying a video game console at launch is always something of a punt, but more than ever with the Switch, you are paying for potential. Of which, there is an enormous amount.

Haven't touched one myself, but from the sound of things:

-super overpriced accessories
-left joy-con not reliable
-right joy-con not infallible either
-Nintendo apparently dgaf
-flimsy kickstand/cartridge hatch
-can't charge in kickstand mode
-loses some battery while docked
-720p menu
-bad battery life
-bad launch lineup if you don't like Zelda (if these people exist)
-Online functionality is nonexistant, unproven, will be paid
-no virtual console
-the paid online bonus games are temporary
-giant bomb's joycon rails nonfunctional after one drop
-newest console weaker than competitors from years ago

On the other hand:
-Zelda (which is still ALMOST enough to get me to look past the above stuff, which says something)
-Execution of portability
-Screen
-Build Quality (Doesn't feel cheap)
-Simplified/sleeker/quicker OS

I know that not all things listed above are as important to all people (if you plan to keep it at home, who cares about battery life for example), but taken as a whole..

Wereroku

See, I still see this as an old way of thinking. Maybe I'm just odd, but the fact that I can take games with me and play them on the TV is HUGE. I don't give a shit if when it's plugged into the TV it's underpowered compared to my PS4, because I can take it with me to work, or to the bathroom, etc. Suddenly my PS4 seems boring as fuck because it's so held down. It's not really an underpowered console or a big handheld, because it's somewhere in the middle.

Also, it's not too big, more than a few outlets have said it fits in your pocket, what the hell more do you want lol.

Yep it has a lot of unique features that make it a pretty good purchase to me.

MikeBison

You could say that about anything though. If you're not interested in Uncharted, Bloodborne etc. Wait for the Pro or the Scorpio. I doubt the new iteration would be out before Mario Odessy and the Christmas exclusives.

Exactly. It comes down to what you want and feel you'll get out of something, versus wether the price is worth it for you.

I'll be playing Zelda for 100 odd hours as of this week and making the use of home and portable parts of the console. Then MK, then Splatoon, then Mario by the end of the year. And some indies to fill the gaps. (feels like enough of a reason to shelf my vita indefinitely).

By the end of the year, I'll have already got more use out of a Switch than I did the whole time having a Wii U.

Like, nobody *has* to get something. It's about want. Those of us who've preordered did so because we WANT to.

KORNdoggy

What is the point of reviewing a hardware that is designed first and foremost to play games, when there are hardly any games for it? I understand reviewing a phone, comparing it to the previous model and competition, but gaming hardware?

because they can review the hardware?. you know...how it feels, build quality, graphical capability, launch features, accessibility options, connection options, audio options etc. these are all quantifiable elements. and if you're buying into something day 1 surely you want to know what the day 1 experience is going to be like. in the switch's case it's a dearth of software, and a console lacking basic features most devices have these days...but it's a nice foundation and it's built well. hence the wait and see reviews.

it isn't the first and won't be the last console review.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink

-720p menu
-bad battery life
-no virtual console

On the other hand:
-Zelda

I know that not all things listed above are as important to all people (if you plan to keep it at home, who cares about battery life for example), but taken as a whole..

I very much did not read the reviews and get the impression that the only positive thing was zelda.

Instro

-720p menu
-bad battery life
-no virtual console

On the other hand:
-Zelda

I've not read through the thread, what do you mean by 720p menu? The OS menus only output in 720p?

Smellycat

I am not bothering with the reviews. I know what I am getting myself into. lol

Also, like Jeff said, It is kind of odd to review a console when some of the main featured won't be available till launch date.

-720p menu
-bad battery life
-no virtual console

On the other hand:
-Zelda

Cmon, dude...there's a lot more on the other hand than just zelda. If you're going to list cons, you need to list pros for the hardware. I can give you a few: stunning screen, portable, easy couch co-op, great indie support, strong first party lineup from now until Christmas, easy to use tools for developers...etc.etc.etc.

Lifeline

-720p menu
-bad battery life
-no virtual console

On the other hand:
-Zelda (which is still ALMOST enough to get me to look past the above stuff, which says something)

Maybe another year would've done Nintendo well. Could have launched with more games, and maybe fixed some of the hardware stuff.

Mawile

Banned
Personally, Nintendo and Indies aren't enough for me to jump on board. I look forward to seeing how Nintendo fairs with third party this time around.

-720p menu
-bad battery life
-no virtual console

On the other hand:

This seems to be my impression at this point as well. I do hope alot of the issues can be fixed with firmware patches as the core concept of the system is damn awesome.

The Big N

Banned
They're really the only outlet that have commented on it being too big.
Yeah, I got to hold the thing earlier this week.. Its smaller then you think, especially when the joycons aren't attached. With the Joycons locked on the sides its to large to put in your pocket, but probably around the size of a Ipad mini. The system itself feels very high quality.

If you own a 3DS XL then you have a pretty good idea of how big/small it is.

What is the point of reviewing a hardware that is designed first and foremost to play games, when there are hardly any games for it? I understand reviewing a phone, comparing it to the previous model and competition, but gaming hardware?

Are you serious?

Every piece of hardware gets reviewed.

People need to know if it's well built, if the hardware itself functions properly (in this case case, there are clear issues with the joy cons), what options there are for things like video and audio.

Being critical and pointing out real flaws is important.

I don't trust people who gloss over everything because they've already decided they love something.

I trust the person that informs me of every little thing that is wrong whether it affects me personally or not.

These reviews aren't great overall. Nintendo has been given the benefit of the doubt many times, but hardware wise, the switch doesn't seem great.

Good lord that's being down on the whole thing. It sounds like he's expecting a new iteration before the end of the year or something.

I think it's a pretty fair assessment. I've been saying nearly the same thing to my friends. If you're still on the fence and don't need Zelda right this very moment (or are okay with the Wii U version), you're probably best off waiting for either Splatoon or Mario to come out.

That said, I got burned rather hard by getting the Wii U so early. :p

Honestly though, what's Jason Schreier's big issue with the thing that warrants a wait to 2.0? I really don't see it.

90% of their listed annoyances read like they're reaching, unreasonably critical in a way I don't really associate with their general quality of writing.

I think it's a pretty fair assessment. I've been saying nearly the same thing to my friends. If you're still on the fence and don't need Zelda right this very moment (or are okay with the Wii U version), you're probably best off waiting for either Splatoon or Mario to come out.

That said, I got burned rather hard by getting the Wii U so early. :p

That's not what he's saying. He's saying wait for a new iteration.

MikeBison

Personally, Nintendo and Indies aren't enough for me to jump on board. I look forward to seeing how Nintendo fairs with third party this time around.

So games and more games are not enough? Wouldn't hold my breath on the 3rd parties other than the aforementioned indies. Kinda know what to expect from a Nintendo console. It's a machine to play Nintendo games.

Hope this time is that their output is increased by being able to merge handheld and console teams working on the same franchise somewhat.

If Switch does well, 3DS gets phased out, if it doesn't..it doesn't.

Hmm nothing really surprising from these reviews. Overall it definitely seems to be of higher quality than the WiiU (which is not a hard feat to achieve). My main problem so far lies with the software lineup. Mario seem to be the first truly new AAA game to come out...

Maybe I am going to end up selling my launch day console.

I also don't expect the reviews to change for the better when the day 1 update is going to launch. What should change anyways? They are going to add the eShop functionality, there is not going to be any Miiverse or Virtual Console... Yeah. I think this is what we're getting hardware-wise.

-720p menu
-bad battery life
-no virtual console

On the other hand:

And that happens when you dont even read one review. Lol. Wow, that is really absurd.

The Switch has problems and surely isnt the best thing in the world but the reviews praised the hardware. But i bet you already saw that in the dozens of reviews you read. ;)

True Fire

I don't give a shit if when it's plugged into the TV it's underpowered compared to my PS4, because I can take it with me to work, or to the bathroom, etc. Suddenly my PS4 seems boring as fuck because it's so held down. It's not really an underpowered console or a big handheld, because it's somewhere in the middle.

PS4 has remote play tho. You need Wifi, but you need a charger for a Switch after 3 hours so they're both kind of tied down.

Fliesen

ozDbkgP.png

Totally agree with this. Why review the system before it gets to its launch day state? If Nintendo does indeed launch a firmware update between now and midnight, March 3rd, then the unit being reviewed by outlets won't be the same one that we get. So...what's the point?
while i do agree with this to a certain degree, i feel like customers should be informed about stuff like the joycon connectivity issues BEFORE they decide to line up in front of a store on Mar 1st or place a last minute pre-order

seeing as Nintendo isn't very transparent about what the day 1 firmware update does, i wouldn't hold my breath and expect it to fix the joycon issues.

lenovox1

Maybe another year would've done Nintendo well. Could have launched with more games, and maybe fixed some of the hardware stuff.

The focus on Zelda is deliberate. The trickle drip of retail is also deliberate.

Any hardware issues likely aren't, but the Bluetooth thing likely isn't completely a hardware issue. That is unless the Joy-Cons used at the demo events have different hardware than the units reviewers were given.

I know if I get one it'll probably collect dust for months when I'm done with Zelda, but it's fucking Zelda so I don't have a choice lol.

ViciousDS

Banned
God though......the biggest thing that nintendo has though is their library, the X1 chip can handle Gamecube emulation for a fucking portable......that's insane!!!!

The reviews sound pretty middling. Looks like it's going to be another case of something I get only because it's the only way to play Nintendo games. Not all that different since the Gamecube days but not a lot of incentive for me to get one immediately either. As it stands I'm not excited but at least I'm not disappointed.

Magypsy

Well, consider that Nintendo is using as little RAM as possible for the OS (0.75 GB or so) to give as much as possible to game developers (3.25 GB). It's probably possible to do 1080p with that much RAM, but I guess it wasn't a priority for now, and they wanted to leave room for other OS features or wait until the UI could be better optimized.

Sounds fair.

In any case it doesn't bother me and I am *very* excited for Friday!!

JJH

These reviews just seem like it's a better and more portable Wii U. I was on the fence on picking one up, but not I'm going to wait to see how this rides out.

And that happens when you dont even read one review. Lol. Wow, that is really absurd.

The Switch has problems and surely isnt the best thing in the world but the reviews praised the hardware. But i bet you already saw that in the dozens of reviews you read. ;)

I read every blurb in the OP, and Totilo's thing. Where do you think I got all the cons?

Top Bottom