• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch | Hardware Review Thread

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I keep hearing this, but all I think is just use your imagination. Prop a book/anything rigid under the kickstand and have the cable go around the front. This even gives you two points of contact with a surface. Problem solved.
I said it differently but yes. If you need your Zelda fix, you'll definitely find a way to make up for this shortcoming. No need to be a genius to find a workaround with stuff around you.

That IGN review is eh. Dont even know why Vince is reviewing.

He is hit and miss. If he is negative about something he really goes for it.

He is also the guy who gave MGS5 10/10.

Why do scores matter for hardware? Just read the actual reviews.

But general feelings seem to be mixed. I'm sure this thing will be worth it in a year or so, but as of right now it doesn't seem worth it to spend 300+ dollars on.
This might just be me, but I'm not going to wait for a dozen amazing games to come out for it before buying, because when am I going to find the time to play all those games?

Time is money they say, getting a head start before getting buried in a backlog is worth it to me.

If you're hot for Zelda you should get it now.

It's not like Zelda is going away though. It will always be available whenever you decide to pick up a Switch.

I always told myself I was waiting until Zelda launched to get a Wii U. Now that I've waited an entire generation, I can just wait a bit more to see how the Switch pans out over time.

Obviously people can buy what they want, but telling people they "should" buy a 300 dollar piece of hardware for one game is a bit far for me.

XandBosch

Let's not forget his Evolve score, either.

I like Vince, but he seems like a very much "if I like it I like it, if I don't, let me tell you why it sucks" kinda guy.

Baleoce

ozDbkgP.png

Totally agree with this. Why review the system before it gets to its launch day state? If Nintendo does indeed launch a firmware update between now and midnight, March 3rd, then the unit being reviewed by outlets won't be the same one that we get. So...what's the point?

Actually, is it confirmed that there is a launch day firmware update, or is that an assumption? I'm just genuinely curious. In fairness you'd expect it these days, but I just don't remember it being stated.

flkraven

So the overwhelming consensus seems to be 'don't buy this thing yet'. After the Wii U, that shouldn't be a shock to anyone. Exactly what I expected.

Reviews look to be exactly where I expected them! I honestly can't wait for Switch and I think my combo of Switch + Xbox One/Project Scorpio will serve my gaming wants nicely.

Is it friday yet?

while i do agree with this to a certain degree, i feel like customers should be informed about stuff like the joycon connectivity issues BEFORE they decide to line up in front of a store on Mar 1st or place a last minute pre-order

seeing as Nintendo isn't very transparent about what the day 1 firmware update does, i wouldn't hold my breath and expect it to fix the joycon issues.

Then customers shouldn't reward Nintendo and maybe they should wait until they know exactly what the product is. I agree with Jeff because they are reviewing a product that may be drastically different at launch.

Why is that people always go after the reviewer when they give something a somewhat negative review?

Cause they've already made up their mind about the system without even using it.

Let's not forget his Evolve score, either.

I like Vince, but he seems like a very much "if I like it I like it, if I don't, let me tell you why it sucks" kinda guy.

Why is that people always go after the reviewer when they give something a somewhat negative review?

AwShucks

ozDbkgP.png

Totally agree with this. Why review the system before it gets to its launch day state? If Nintendo does indeed launch a firmware update between now and midnight, March 3rd, then the unit being reviewed by outlets won't be the same one that we get. So...what's the point?

Does not seem weird at all to review a product as released.

WTF? How is that even possible?

Are you serious? Neither Xbox One nor the PS4 were that impressive at launch. I remember quite a few outlets listing both as a "wait and see" at the time.

That being said, both were sure to get third party support without question. That's one area in which the Switch is leaving many people unsure. First party titles + indies may not be enough to warrant a purchase for some.

jdmonmou

Seems conditional...

Do you care about Zelda?

Yes:
- Do you have a Wii U?
-- No: Buy a Switch, get Zelda
-- Yes: Get Zelda on Wii U.

No:
- Wait six months and see how Switch is then.

Exactly. I got caught up in the hype and was thinking of purchasing one this week, but all the pre-orders being sold out solidified my decision to hold-off on buying. I'll get Zelda on Wii U and wait until after E3 to see what the game lineup will look like.

akileese

Does not seem weird at all to review a product as released.

But it's not released. There is a day one update coming that the reviewed copies don't have yet. This is like those early NMS impressions before the day one update. A big chunk of that game was missing without that update and a lot of the game breaking bugs were fixed.

If they can't get access to the day one update, they shouldn't post a review. Simple as that.

It's also amusing to me that the IGN review is comparing the Switch to the PS4/XBO not only on power but also how mature the OS functionalities are. I remember reviewers being not particularly kind to the OS experiences/additional features for the PS4 or the XBO.

Also regarding the Day One update...because you can easily switch regions, I wonder if you can install the update from the Japanese eShop?

antibolo

Banned
Has any review so far mentioned anything about the headphone port volume? Does it have a respectable maximum volume or is it as shitty as the 3DS?

Kuni

This also sucks.

Lastly there’s the issue of power. I’ve mentioned how much of a pain it is to unplug the AC adapter in order to take it with you when you travel, so most people are going to want to buy a separate USB-C wall adapter to charge the handheld on the go. I found a Motorola 5V 3.4A charger that does the trick. Be mindful that you won’t be able to charge and play at the same time if you only use a USB-A to USB-C cable plugged into, say, an iPhone wall adapter. That’ll charge the Switch slowly when it’s turned off, but in my experience it doesn’t provide enough juice to charge while you’re playing. You’ll need a dedicated adapter capable of putting out a lot of power if you want to charge and play at the same time. The adapter I got ran me $15.

https://kotaku.com/nintendo-switch-the-kotaku-review-1792776350

Might as well be proprietary for me. I also don't like just buying random power adapters for things (I go official, don't want any weirdness). In UK it's £24.99...

Baleoce

So the overwhelming consensus seems to be 'don't buy this thing yet'. After the Wii U, that shouldn't be a shock to anyone. Exactly what I expected.

I'd say that "waiting and seeing" is a fair thought process for most new hardware launches unless you're a fan who considers it a must have and would buy it regardless, and really wants to play BotW on its best iteration.

Anyone on the fence should just watch what happens for a little while and then decide for themselves. I purchased a 3DS, Wii U and Vita at launch, so I'm going to exert some willpower/self-discipline this time around.

Are you serious? Neither Xbox One nor the PS4 were that impressive at launch. I remember quite a few outlets listing both as a "wait and see" at the time.

That being said, both were sure to get third party support without question. That's one area in which the Switch is leaving many people unsure. First party titles + indies may not be enough to warrant a purchase for some.

That's correct. PS4 launch lineup was jack for like a year and a half before it got some solid releases. We all have short memories. It was full of ports, had remasters and indie games.....huh maybe that means Switch will do as well as the PS4 once it gets rolling.

Xbox One had it's fair share of issues at launch ($100 higher, poor UI), but I don't remember any significant issues with the PS4. Maybe the sticks on the DS4 falling apart, but I don't think anyone knew that at launch. I know I thought my PS4 was great when I finally found one in stores in January of 2014, and I thought the Xbox One was decent enough when I got the Titanfall bundle for $400 in March of 2014.

The PS4 launched with an unfinished OS, systems that randomly ejected games, controllers that had defective triggers, many promised featured missing, and a terrible launch lineup.

Not to mention terrible controllers that still haven't been fixed to this day. It would be false advertising to call the DS4 wireless regarding its battery life and the stick rubber is pure shit sandwich.

MikeBison

It might surprise you, but not everyone is the biggest fan of indie games. There are some I enjoy a lot, but a lot of them do not appeal to me due to the gameplay and graphics being inferior compared to the games they are inspired from.

Nintendo makes great games, but I tire of buying Nintendo home consoles just for Nintendo games when I am also a huge fan of third party titles which I miss out on because of their relations with said third party.

Nintendo fans will always purchase Nintendo consoles because they make, well, Nintendo games. I'm a Nintendo fan, but not in that way. I want something that caters to a wider demographic like the DS and 3DS do.

It does surprise me, because being an indie game isn't indicative of the quality of the gameplay or graphics whatsoever.

But, not bashing on your reasons for not wanting to get a Switch. That's totally your choice and they're sound reasons.

rekameohs

Banned
I don't think there's a single piece of tech where waiting and seeing is not the best choice unless you're a diehard fan.

flkraven

I'd say that "waiting and seeing" is a fair thought process for most new hardware launches unless you're a fan who considers it a must have and would buy it regardless, and really wants to play BotW on its best iteration.

Anyone on the fence should just watch what happens for a little while and then decide for themselves. I purchased a 3DS, Wii U and Vita at launch, so I'm going to exert some willpower/self-discipline this time around.

Well with Sony and Microsoft it's a little less so, since you are all but guaranteed consistent 3rd party support. With Nintendo it's dicey, since 3rd parties could disappear in a year.

lenovox1

This also sucks.

Might as well be proprietary for me. I also don't like just buying random power adapters for things (I go official, don't want any weirdness). In UK it's £24.99...

The Switch has a tablet system-on-chip with a tablet like power draw and a tablet sized battery.

Your phone's charger was never going to allow you to plug and play.

Let's not complain about one of the more modern aspects of the system.

So pretty much in line with all hardware at launch. Some minor issues that will be patched soon, and a limited software library. Hopefully Zelda gives them the initial boost they're looking for, but I'll happily jump in once Pokemon Stars is released. I'm looking at this console as a 3DS replacement.

Interfectum

Gold Member
Schreier tearing up Switch on Twitter... wow:

@jasonschreier My advice: If you *have* to play Zelda (my review coming tomorrow) and have no Wii U, get a Switch. Otherwise wait for the next iteration.

@jasonschreier To be clear: the Switch has brilliant potential. Could be Nintendo's best hardware ever. But right now it has too many little problems.

@jasonschreier @Purposely_Blank I haven't played the Wii U version, so IDK how that one runs. But I'd be cautious w/ Switch. It's clearly rushed hardware

Pif

Banned
How is an SD card "essential" if I'm not planning on buying any meaningful digital content?

Ffs

Seems about as expected, it was never likely to have the versatility to function well as a primary console but I doubt there were many people rushing to trade in their PS4 for it either. The hardware impressions and optimism for potential seems quite strong which is great.
My main concerns would be joycon sensors and general pricing structure but hopefully firmware and a price drop or bundles will smooth out those issues by the time Q4 comes around.

This also sucks.

Agreed it's a PITA, but as USB-C becomes more typical this will be less and less of an issue. As it is now, most of us have relatively weak power gear because random ass phone from 3 years ago didn't need it.

lenovox1

Xbox One had it's fair share of issues at launch ($100 higher, poor UI), but I don't remember any significant issues with the PS4. Maybe the sticks on the DS4 falling apart, but I don't think anyone knew that at launch. I know I thought my PS4 was great when I finally found one in stores in January of 2014, and I thought the Xbox One was decent enough when I got the Titanfall bundle for $400 in March of 2014.

And... What did you play on it?

Top Bottom