• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch | Hardware Review Thread

Kindekuma

Banned
So impressions and reviews are good or bad?

Generally very good. However mixed opinions are thrown in the pile. I'll break it down:

+Great display on the unit
+Fast snappy UI with more features in settings than expected
+Joy-Cons are great with HD Rumble and IR sensor
+Switching between docked and handheld mode is seamless
+Heat output isn't ridiculous during play, and fan acoustics are pretty low unless you're in render intensive areas.
=Joy-Con Grip is OK, you're better off getting the Pro controller for primarily TV use
=Switch kick stand is kinda flimsy but does the job well.
=Launch line up is OK, unless you're really banking on Zelda for the main game. Might wait for more titles to release like Mario Kart Deluxe or Splatoon 2.
-Joy-Con sync issues exist, if you're holding it too far or obscure it from facing the TV the signal will cut briefly. Firmware patch to fix?
-Battery life is pretty short in games, even with reducing brightness. 3 hours in BotW.
-Unit takes as long to charge as it does using the battery while playing 2-3 hours for a full charge.
-Factoring in other accessories to make this console last, the costs for another larger microSD, Pro Controller, and ~10000+mAh powerbank.

nintendo-switch-hands-on-12.jpg

Inside coat/jacket pocket, sure. Trouser pocket? Maybe if you dress like a clown...

I don't think I have ever had a portable game system, outside a Gameboy Micro or Advance SP, that I would consider comfortable in a trouser pocket.

shtolky

It's a console launch, of course there will be issues. I remember when the 3ds came out, people weren't praising the system (yes, it cost too much), but now it has one of the best libraries and reputations out there. In time, when the Switch gets VC, more games, better features, etc, I see it being a very popular machine.

Cloukyo

Banned
Haven't touched one myself, but from the sound of things:

-super overpriced accessories
-left joy-con not reliable
-right joy-con not infallible either
-Nintendo apparently dgaf
-flimsy kickstand/cartridge hatch
-can't charge in kickstand mode
-loses some battery while docked
-720p menu
-bad battery life
-bad launch lineup if you don't like Zelda (if these people exist)
-Online functionality is nonexistant, unproven, will be paid
-no virtual console
-the paid online bonus games are temporary
-giant bomb's joycon rails nonfunctional after one drop
-newest console weaker than competitors from years ago

On the other hand:
-Zelda (which is still ALMOST enough to get me to look past the above stuff, which says something)
-Execution of portability
-Screen
-Build Quality (Doesn't feel cheap)
-Simplified/sleeker/quicker OS

I know that not all things listed above are as important to all people (if you plan to keep it at home, who cares about battery life for example), but taken as a whole..

You're being quite deceiving here.

The bottom line is that most reviewers like the console but they see it as a secondary console, and suggest getting the console after more games have come out.

As a piece of tech most people have been impressed.

If you're hot for Zelda you should get it now.

The crabbiest reviews really got bit by the joycon problem. It will be interesting to see if this is a larger problem, if so how easily it's fixed, and how much their impressions would have changed if it wasn't an issue for them.

That is very weird.

I wonder if that's because it's charging the joy-cons in the meantime...but still, it wouldn't make sense that the Joy-Con would take their charge off the Switch's battery instead of the direct current from the USB-C port.

I think it's to extend the battery life on the main unit.

Very silly to assign numbers to a system. Why are sites doing this?

Anyway, previews are not surprising at all. They're just restating the pros and cons that have been discussed since reveal. Right now, it's a hard sell for most.

Comet

I don't think I have ever had a portable game system, outside a Gameboy Micro or Advance SP, that I would consider comfortable in a trouser pocket.

Agreed, but tossing into a bag is not a big deal to me so I don't care too much about the size issue.

Instro

I think the reviews are about what one would expect if they've kept up with the news. Ignoring the odd issues related to the joycons, from the get go the main criticisms have been about it being too big, too expensive, not powerful enough for console gamers, missing lots of features, etc. In that context I don't think it is really deserving of praise, even if the hardware itself is well designed.

Baleoce

ozDbkgP.png

Totally agree with this. Why review the system before it gets to its launch day state? If Nintendo does indeed launch a firmware update between now and midnight, March 3rd, then the unit being reviewed by outlets won't be the same one that we get. So...what's the point?

Yeah it is a tad odd. People say it's to help inform those that pre-ordered. But that's what a preview is.

-left joy-con not reliable
-right joy-con not infallible either
-flimsy kickstand/cartridge hatch
-can't charge in kickstand mode
-loses some battery while docked
-720p menu
-bad battery life
-bad launch lineup if you don't like Zelda (if these people exist)
-no virtual console
-the paid online bonus games are temporary
-giant bomb's joycon rails nonfunctional after one drop

On the other hand:
-Zelda (which is still ALMOST enough to get me to look past the above stuff, which says something)
-Execution of portability
-Screen
-Build Quality (Doesn't feel cheap)
-Simplified/sleeker/quicker OS

I know that not all things listed above are as important to all people (if you plan to keep it at home, who cares about battery life for example), but taken as a whole..
yeah good summary of cons. I'm still gonna get one when they are in stock on Amazon, but this is purely because I have some bonus cash from my rewards and Zelda. I specifically don't play a lot of open world games so I can experience the best ones. Right now I'm hooked on Horizon and I'll be able to play Zelda while I'm at work.

I just hope if they do a bigger screen version they let me upgrade for a decent price.

Glix

Are we sure that this is fixable?

Certainly not. Especially from reading DF tests. Yet they say that if you are playing in a regular manner from a reasonable distance it shouldn't be an issue.

But I'm going to be playing in handheld mode the vast majority of the time anyway, so for ME at least, its all good.

Both the last post and this one only speak about how it is for me. If I didn't have a train commute, and played most of my games traditional TV style, I'd be pretty worried.

Still from the DF tests it sounds like if its in the grip you should be okay. It really seems its only a big issue for motion controlled games where you are wrapping your hands around the joycons.

After trying Arms with motion controls at the event... I will almost never be playing games that need to be played in that manner anyway.

daveo42

Banned
while i do agree with this to a certain degree, i feel like customers should be informed about stuff like the joycon connectivity issues BEFORE they decide to line up in front of a store on Mar 1st or place a last minute pre-order

seeing as Nintendo isn't very transparent about what the day 1 firmware update does, i wouldn't hold my breath and expect it to fix the joycon issues.

I think there are enough outlets out there reporting on it (including Giant Bomb) that waiting to push a review on hardware is fine. Especially because most of the reviews are still listed as 'ongoing' at this time. Besides, most people buying a Switch at launch are core gamers who are most interested in playing a new Zelda game on new hardware, brushing off any negatives the system may have because it's launch.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Why do scores matter for hardware? Just read the actual reviews.

But general feelings seem to be mixed. I'm sure this thing will be worth it in a year or so, but as of right now it doesn't seem worth it to spend 300+ dollars on.

Mawile

Banned
So games and more games are not enough?

Wouldn't hold my breath on the 3rd parties other than the aforementioned indies. Kinda know what to expect from a Nintendo console. It's a machine to play Nintendo games.

Hope this time is that their output is increased by being able to merge handheld and console teams working on the same franchise somewhat.

If Switch does well, 3DS gets phased out, if it doesn't..it doesn't.

It might surprise you, but not everyone is the biggest fan of indie games. There are some I enjoy a lot, but a lot of them do not appeal to me due to the gameplay and graphics being inferior compared to the games they are inspired from.

Nintendo makes great games, but I tire of buying Nintendo home consoles just for Nintendo games when I am also a huge fan of third party titles which I miss out on because of their relations with said third party.

Nintendo fans will always purchase Nintendo consoles because they make, well, Nintendo games. I'm a Nintendo fan, but not in that way. I want something that caters to a wider demographic like the DS and 3DS do.

StereoVsn

Cmon, dude...there's a lot more on the other hand than just zelda. If you're going to list cons, you need to list pros for the hardware. I can give you a few: stunning screen, portable, easy couch co-op, great indie support, strong first party lineup from now until Christmas, easy to use tools for developers...etc.etc.etc.
- 720p IPS screen can be called decent or good enough or serviceable but it's not stunning.
- it is portable but then it's also very underpowered for a full console and Nintendo is pitching t as a full console but you can take it on the go
- apparently no Bluetooth headphone support exists which is just crazy
- also no charging in kickstand mode is terrible

boiled goose

good with gravy
So overall hardware is nice (better than wiiu)
But features and games support still unknown (problems on wiiu)

Nintendo still has to deliver for me before I buy. Enough games will eventually come, but I need the right online features

lenovox1

Certainly not. Especially from reading DF tests. Yet they say that if you are playing in a regular manner from a reasonable distance it shouldn't be an issue.

But I'm going to be playing in handheld mode the vast majority of the time anyway, so for ME at least, its all good.

Both the last post and this one only speak about how it is for me. If I didn't have a train commute, and played most of my games traditional TV style, I'd be pretty worried.

Still from the DF tests it sounds like if its in the grip you should be okay. It really seems its only a big issue for motion controlled games where you are wrapping your hands around the joycons.

After trying Arms with motion controls at the event... I will almost never be playing games that need to be played in that manner anyway.

They can absolutely modify the Bluetooth connection through a software update.

Glix

Remote Play works near seamlessly these days. Pro has an updated wifi card.

This is nonsense. Remote play is GREAT. Sometimes.

There are a massive amount of games that are literally unplayable because the devs won't take the time to implement a usable Vita control scheme and use back touch for buttons that need to be pressed in a timely accurate manner.

For the NHL games you literally cannot speed burst and steer at the same time.

This is in addition to the frustration of not letting you use a DS4 with a Vita and remote play.

I adore remote play. I would be in the 99th percentile of Neogaf in terms of remote play hours logged, both at home, and on the road. Remote play is not comparable to the switch.

And obviously you can't play remote play on the train.

Baleoce

My problem with Remote Play has more to do with control than signal quality these days. It's great on PC though.

Yeah, you can get remote play running smoothly when optimised and with good network conditions, but it's the restrictive controls and the touch that were always the barrier for me. It made the experience cumbersome.

Ouch at the IGN comments

Why arent there zelda reviews though? Is it embargo or reviewers just havent had time to finish the game? Seems odd, if there was one game to market with good reviews before launch it would seem to be zelda, perhaps a nintendo market fail...

cheesekao

Little Mons†er;231257076 said:
so dropping a console on hard concrete and it results in it being damaged is an alien concept to most?

urrrrrrrr wat?
This is a looong time ago but the Gameboy Colour was built like a fucking tank. Mine survived a 6 story drop.

Interfectum

Gold Member
PS4 has remote play tho. You need Wifi, but you need a charger for a Switch after 3 hours so they're both kind of tied down.

I use remote play a lot but I'll say it pales in comparison to native play. Even if you discount questionable streaming quality you still have a big issue of the vita control layout in a lot of games.

- 720p IPS screen can be called decent or good enough or serviceable but it's not stunning.
- it is portable but then it's also very underpowered for a full console and Nintendo is pitching t as a full console but you can take it on the go

Um...what? How is this possible? I can't just plug in the adapter at my work desk and play with the stand up?

Mr. Hyde

Looks cool but definitely waiting until the holidays before deciding. I will regret not getting to play Zelda until then but I will survive. I will definitely try the system out at my friend's house though.

Ouch at the IGN comments

Why arent there zelda reviews though? Is it embargo or reviewers just havent had time to finish the game? Seems odd, if there was one game to market with good reviews before launch it would seem to be zelda, perhaps a nintendo market fail...

Zelda is tomorrow.

butman

Generally very good. However mixed opinions are thrown in the pile. I'll break it down:

+Great display on the unit
+Fast snappy UI with more features in settings than expected
+Joy-Cons are great with HD Rumble and IR sensor
+Switching between docked and handheld mode is seamless
+Heat output isn't ridiculous during play, and fan acoustics are pretty low unless you're in render intensive areas.
=Joy-Con Grip is OK, you're better off getting the Pro controller for primarily TV use
=Switch kick stand is kinda flimsy but does the job well.
=Launch line up is OK, unless you're really banking on Zelda for the main game. Might wait for more titles to release like Mario Kart Deluxe or Splatoon 2.
-Joy-Con sync issues exist, if you're holding it too far or obscure it from facing the TV the signal will cut briefly. Firmware patch to fix?
-Battery life is pretty short in games, even with reducing brightness. 3 hours in BotW.
-Unit takes as long to charge as it does using the battery while playing 2-3 hours for a full charge.
-Factoring in other accessories to make this console last, the costs for another larger microSD, Pro Controller, and ~10000+mAh powerbank.

Time to wait for the NEW Switch.

Boke1879

Little Mons†er;231257076 said:
so dropping a console on hard concrete and it results in it being damaged is an alien concept to most?

urrrrrrrr wat?

To be fair. People drop things a lot. This is a product designed to be taken on the go. It will get dropped. That said if I drop this on my carpet will it mess up the joy con?

Also with these reviews does it seem like the consensus is just to wait?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
as of right now it doesn't seem worth it to spend 300+ dollars on, AFAIC.
AFAIC, it's more than worth it. Rhââ Lovely Zelda I can spend more time on, family games like Snipperclips & 1,2 Switch, or bomberman I will experience twice in the next two weeks in LAN with friends... makes it worth it. Then there's the launch excitement. That's a feeling I have always cherished more than any other :)

StereoVsn

I use remote play a lot but I'll say it pales in comparison to native play. Even if you discount questionable streaming quality you still have a big issue of the vita control layout in a lot of games.
You can remote stream to PC as well. Not super portable though :).

daveo42

Banned
Um...what? How is this possible? I can't just plug in the adapter at my work desk and play with the stand up?

The usb-c port is on the bottom of the Switch, meaning that you can't just set it up and charge it at the same time. The Switch would rest on the usb plug as opposed to the console itself. I'm sure a specialty kickstand dock will become a thing.

daxy

I keep hearing this, but all I think is just use your imagination. Prop a book/anything rigid under the kickstand and have the cable go around the front. Assuming you're in a place that allows you to charge, you'll almost certainly have something in reach to put the kickstand on or just lean the system against. This even gives you two points of contact with a surface. Problem solved?

The Big N

Banned

-720p menu
-bad battery life
-no virtual console
  • The reality is the accessories are in-line with other console accessories when you factor in they are brand new.
  • I'm not sure how a 720p menu is a negative given the screen itself is 720p. Not to mention the difference between 1080p and 720p resolution on a screen this small is almost unnoticeable.
  • The battery life is very similar to the 3DS. The difference here is there will be more demanding games on the Switch which will burn through the battery quicker.
  • The VC will be available shortly after launch and the online features will go live with the update releasing tomorrow?
  • Why are people comparing the Switch to the Xbox One and PS4? Its a hybrid console that is designed to be portable. Its just not feasible to have a portable console that outperforms a PS4. The price would increase and the battery life would drain incredibly quick.

All complaints are fair, as its obviously not a flawless device. With that being said I'm not sure where all the "its expensive" criticism is coming from. Given we had a $400 PS4 and $500 Xbox One a few years ago.

Interfectum

Gold Member
To be fair. People drop things a lot. This is a product designed to be taken on the go. It will get dropped. That said if I drop this on my carpet will it mess up the joy con?

Also with these reviews does it seem like the consensus is just to wait?

Seems conditional...

Do you care about Zelda?

Yes:
- Do you have a Wii U?
-- No: Buy a Switch, get Zelda
-- Yes: Get Zelda on Wii U.

No:
- Wait six months and see how Switch is then.

lenovox1

Why do scores matter for hardware? Just read the actual reviews.

But general feelings seem to be mixed. I'm sure this thing will be worth it in a year or so, but as of right now it doesn't seem worth it to spend 300+ dollars on.

I don't have anything else to play Zelda on. It's absolutely worth it.

Goodlife

The point I was actually trying to make is that the design is fundamentally flawed from the start.

They've made it clear that this thing is meant to be played on the go as well. Well, then it should have been designed with the idea that people would want to charge it while playing on the go.

So now you play while it's propped up on the kickstand. Wait for the battery to die, then stop playing to recharge.

It's an absolute stupid decision and if I was ever planning on using it in portable mode, I wouldn't be defending it.

Yeah, that's the point a lot of people were making, but nobody had an sensible ideas really of how to solve it.

Kysen

The best part of the new screen is that I'll actually be able to read kanji properly on it. 3DS has been rough on my eyes the last few years.

Top Bottom