• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch | Hardware Review Thread

Dystify

What's with the image in the OP that keeps evolving?! Magical.

qrcX93U.png
wH6Xjpz.png
sShQD8g.png

CFkYuDX.png
tMDppVG.png
BY8zASb.png

I'm sorry I just had to post this cause nobody seemed to notice it. :p

trixx

This ain't looking too hot. Can't wait to get it as a new thing to look at in my living room. Thankfully with the eb games trade in I ended up paying $75 for my half of the console.

cyba89

I own a WiiU but I will still get the Switch with Zelda at launch.

I totally get the hardwares current shortcomings, but I will have to buy the Switch when Mario and Xenoblade 2 launches anyway and the console won't be 100€+ cheaper by then so I might as well settle for the better performing and also portable Zelda version right away and also be part of the shiny new gaming hardware launch excitement.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I just don't believe all the games need to be out on day 1 for a purchase on day 1 to make sense. Most of us will have our hands full with Zelda and probably something else, lets say snipperclips for quite some time. Then next month potentially get MK8 (many people never got a chance to play it) and it carries on like that, I think it makes sense. Lets say there were 20 huge nintendo exclusives ready to launch this week, who has time to play them all?

I manage to get a LOT of game time in during the week even, and I know I'll have my hands full with Zelda.

That again just comes down to how interested one is on the slate of announced games. If I hadn't canceled my preorder I probably wouldn't have bought anything until Mario. Maybe SF2, but I don't see that as worth $40 so it would need to get a big sale. I also barely play SFV so I probably should just accept I'm not into fighting games anymore.

I barely played MK8 on Wii U as those games just don't grab me anymore, I loved Splatoon but burnt myself out on it hardcore and just have no desire for a sequel, Arms and all the indies, Bomberman etc. don't appeal to me. Didn't like Xenoblade Chronnicles so I don't care about the sequel. Maybe Fire Emblem Warriors if that does make it out this year as I liked Hyrule Warriors.

So there's just not much there for me. It would just gather dust and it's not like I need a third platform to fill in gaps right now as I'm overwhelmed with PS4/PC releases this year as is.

Next year or beyond the value proposition may hit a sweet spot for me after Mario is out, the next mainline Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, maybe a new Metroid Prime, whatever Retro's new IP is if it's up my alley, maybe Smash and Mario Maker ports/updated versions, some decent third party Japanese games that appeal to me etc. And at that point their may be price drops, and if not bundles and retailer-specific offers that save me some cash.

Others like you are stoked for the line up of games this year and it's a great value proposition day one.

What other justification is there for putting on a score for something that's going to change noticeably in a day or two?

You could make that argument about literally every game or device these days. I have to ask: Would you be upset if the score was a 9.5?

Want to blame someone? Blame Nintendo for not pushing out the patch early enough that reviewers could receive it. Hundreds of thousands of preorders will start shipping today, and consumers deserve as much information as they can get before making the decision to keep their preorder.

Just finished reading the Kotaku review, man Nintendo are really pushing It with these shortcomings.

Im going to spend the next 2 months with Zelda so it's all I need to be happy, but man, talk about paying a premium for one game.

Think I'm going to skip on the storage and Pro controller right now and just treat this like a handheld. Will get more controllers for my wife and daughter once MARIO kart hits

MikeBison

Next year or beyond the value proposition may hit a sweet spot for me after Mario is out, the next mainline Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, maybe a new Metroid Prime, whatever Retro's new IP is if it's up my alley, maybe Smash and Mario Maker ports/updated versions, some decent third party Japanese games that appeal to me etc. And at that point their may be price drops, and if not bundles and retailer-specific offers that save me some cash.

Don't tease my fragile heart about a new Metroid Prime. It's easier on my soul to just never mention the possibility :p

Lothars

I totally understand his concerns about its future. But regarding the actual hardware, it's hard to take him too seriously when it gets so many praises out there.
There is still some unanswered questions regarding the hardware including the joycon fix if it can be a software fix or if it's a hardware fix. The lack of features in the OS at launch.

So his concerns are completely warranted even if the hardware is praised elsewhere, now will most things be fixed after launch? absolutely but I don't see anything wrong with what he said.

spekkeh

Banned
WTF? How is that even possible?
I would assume because PS4 is a boring visionless piece of technology that upon launch missed a number of features that the PS3 did have. Console hardware reviews always play out like this: it feels nice but unless you feel like you need it, it's better to wait and see. Seems like Switch already scores better than PS4 at launch, that's kind of hopeful, at the same time, yeah it's a launch, it's a gamble, so review sites are understandably standoffish. Cautious people buy later.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
These reviews aren't very flattering. Most seem to say "uh... let's just wait on this and see how it plays out." Hmm I think I'm just going to get Horizon instead.

jts

...hate me...
We're on the same page on that. Value proposition just depends on peoples level of interest in they console (do they like the hybrid features, or are they only console gamers and find it underpowered and over priced etc.), game interest, disposable in come etc.

This fall will be the real test for Switch IMO. How do those Switch bundles sell compared to $200-250 PS4 Slim and X1 bundles. The PS4 UC4 bundle is regular $250 already and was down as low as $220 something last week. How does the Scorpio launch effect the market?

It will be an interesting sales season for sure.

Yep, great example of how value proposition varies by individual. Makes tons of sense for you to buy day one. Little sense for someone like me who doesn't care about the portability at all, doesn't at all care about having new gadgets early and prefers to wait and save money, and who isn't getting rid of my Wii U anytime soon (stays around for Wii Fit if nothing else).
Agreed, well put.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Don't tease my fragile heart about a new Metroid Prime. It's easier on my soul to just never mention the possibility :p

That, or even a well-reviewed 2D Metroid game, are the biggest things they could do to get me to take the plunge. I'd buy a Switch when a good, new Metroid game came out regardless of the rest of the library or the price/bundle situation at the time. :D

jdmonmou

I just don't believe all the games need to be out on day 1 for a purchase on day 1 to make sense. Most of us will have our hands full with Zelda and probably something else, lets say snipperclips for quite some time. Then next month potentially get MK8 (many people never got a chance to play it) and it carries on like that, I think it makes sense. Lets say there were 20 huge nintendo exclusives ready to launch this week, who has time to play them all?

I manage to get a LOT of game time in during the week even, and I know I'll have my hands full with Zelda.

I'm not saying that Nintendo needs to blow its load on launch by releasing all their exclusive games. They are smart to spread out those 1st party exclusive releases. What they need to do is assure users that the Switch will be a console that receives a healthy amount of diverse 3rd party support. On launch they should've had some recent 3rd party ports (e.g. Dishonored 2, Rocket League, Resident Evil 7, etc.) to attract an audience that aren't huge fans of Nintendo first party games.

jonno394

No console at launch is ever perfect. There is always a good argument to wait 6+ months for everything to settle. Nothing new here.

That being said, I'm buying day 1...

I would assume because PS4 is a boring visionless piece of technology that upon launch missed a number of features that the PS3 did have. Console hardware reviews always play out like this: it feels nice but unless you feel like you need it, it's better to wait and see. Seems like Switch already scores better than PS4 at launch, that's kind of hopeful, at the same time, yeah it's a launch. Smart people buy later.

The difference here is that Switch is launching without basic things.

Not some far fetched ideas that have never been attempted before.

No VC. No Online. No streaming apps. No achievements system. No controller audio out. Horrendous 3rd party support.

Bundle those deficiencies with glaring issues with the hardware and you see why most reviewers have a wait and see mentality.

iFirez

Actually, is it confirmed that there is a launch day firmware update, or is that an assumption? I'm just genuinely curious. In fairness you'd expect it these days, but I just don't remember it being stated.

It will be a new firmware version as it includes new features as well as unlocking those that don't work as default (internet based features, which as soon as you connect it asks you to get the update).

It'l be 1.1 or 1.01 if the initial version is v1.

sense

Why are you focusing on IGN's review when the vast majority is very positive
I dont know what reviews you are reading but i wouldn't say "very positive". We are looking at a hardware coming in very hot with a lot of features including some basic ones missing with a lackluster launch lineup with zelda being a huge standout. All the reviews lean towards wait and see unless you really want to play zelda... . Yes, i can see a lot of them seem to like the hardware and concept and i am confident there will be excellent nintendo games to justify the system down the line. I am getting one at launch to try out zelda mostly because i was able to get a good deal for trading ps4 since i got a pro. Lets see if i like zelda or if i will return it.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Like the New Wii and the New Wii U?

Oh wait they never existed. People shouldnt expect a new Switch iteration anytime soon or even happening.

On the other hand, it's clear that this is a portable first and their portables have always gotten iterations right from the Gameboy up through the 3DS. Discounting the Virtual Boy anyway.

They also have options to put out cheaper portable only, and maybe console only, versions down the road if sales are struggling as the hybrid concept doesn't seem to be taking off as most are using it one way or the other and the market isn't liking the higher prices due to having features they wouldn't use. Moot if it sells well of course, so only time will tell.

spekkeh

Banned

No VC. No Online. No streaming apps. No achievements system. Horrendous 3rd party support.

Bundle those deficiencies with glaring issues with the hardware and you see why most reviewers have a wait and see mentality.
And still it scored higher than PS4 on the Guardian
Amazing.

Oh and it does have online, don't make stuff up.

Baleoce

It will be a new firmware version as it includes new features as well as unlocking those that don't work as default (internet based features, which as soon as you connect it asks you to get the update).

It'l be 1.1 or 1.01 if the initial version is v1.

Many thanks!

Servbot24

Banned
Reviews are what I expected. Nintendo hardware at launch is nothing but a $300 plastic container for games that don't exist yet.

No VC. No Online. No streaming apps. No achievements system. No controller audio out. Horrendous 3rd party support.

Most reviewers had a "wait and see" mentality for PS4 and Xbox One as well. It's fair to criticize Switch's shortcomings, but lets not pretend that outlets were screaming "BUY BUY BUY" for the other two from day one.

Thoraxes

Given how much hardware and interfaces change over a console's lifespan, the reviews don't really say anything I didn't already know or expected, but it's nice that a lot of people like the hardware and think that it's a solid foundation for their future despite what for some people are shortcomings.
IGN sounds overly pressed. It's fine if they disliked it, but they seem a bit too mean in their review
It's very much at odds with their coverage so far, in an almost bewildering way.

Luigi87

The fuck?

How is this possible/

Wouldn't it be charging in the dock?

It charges, but it's not unheard of.
IE: My ASUS laptop will charge, but if I leave it plugged in, on or in sleep mode, over time it usually discharges to 95% and that's generally where it stays. It won't recharge (as that would hurt the battery's overall life) but it won't be 100% when removed.

I'm so unconcerned with the great fears about the system in these reviews. This really sounds in line with other console reviews. As a piece of tech it really is like nothing like the PS4 or xb1. You buy a console at launch fundementally based on potential, IMO. With Zelda, Arms, Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey for the year and an amazing indie line up rolling out weekly, I am satisfied.

Most reviewers had a "wait and see" mentality for PS4 and Xbox One as well. It's fair to criticize Switch's shortcomings, but lets not pretend that outlets were screaming "BUY BUY BUY" for the other two from day one.

That's not what I am saying.

Wait and see for any launch is fine.

This thing is launching without basic functionality. Things that have existed in some cases for 2 console generations.

The Big N

Banned
It's very much at odds with their coverage so far, in an almost bewildering way.

Because the person who wrote the review probably has different opinions from the people making Switch videos on their website. From how I understand it the guy who reviewed the console isn't even part of the IGN Nintendo team.

Thoraxes

Because the person who wrote the review probably has different opinions from the people making Switch videos on their website. From how I understand it the guy who reviewed the console isn't even part of the IGN Nintendo team.
Oh, that would make sense then. Though I've seen Jose with the thing most of the time, so I just assumed he'd be the one doing the review of the system and Zelda.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Very true. At the end of the day early adopting any new tech gadgets only makes since for the diehard fans and enthusiasts who just like having things from the get go.

To most everyone else, it's just not a good value to buy things early when they 1) cost the most they ever will, 2) have the least software and support they'll ever have, and 3) have the highest risk of hardware problems, manufacturing defects etc. they'll ever have.

You don't need to be on a "team" to review a piece of hardware.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Does it? I thought the online was coming in the summer.

The paid online service starts in the fall. The smartphone app for party chat etc. will be out later (think summer).

But games like MK8 can be played online before then. There's just no system level parties, chart etc., just game level match making (and chat if developers include it I'd guess).

boxter432

Given how much hardware and interfaces change over a console's lifespan, the reviews don't really say anything I didn't already know or expected, but it's nice that a lot of people like the hardware and think that it's a solid foundation for their future despite what for some people are shortcomings.

yeah, if you watched the last NVC, they were gushing over it. only "negative" was jose saying it was warm after playing on the dock a while.
seems that Jose or Peer probably would have scored it higher (though I would hope/assume they had a say in the review)

spekkeh

Banned
And currently it's sitting at a 6.7 on IGN.

Truly amazing.
Well you can't spell ignorant without IGN, we know this. I don't know what IGN's review in progress has to do with my answering someone who asked why Switch scored higher than PS4 at the Guardian though. Maybe you feel very strongly about PS4 that you feel the need to defend it.
You know what I mean by no online.
No I don't. No party chat?

MisterR

And still it scored higher than PS4 on the Guardian
Amazing.

Oh and it does have online, don't make stuff up.

More ridiculous than amazing. Right now the Switch is a slab that plays Zelda and basically nothing more and if you don't spend an extra 70 bucks on a pro controller, you may have disconnect issues even doing that on your TV. That score is very generous.

JoeM86

Incorrect. Online functionality is available at launch

Top Bottom