• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defect

Alright so I bought a 20 dollar eshop code and redeemed it. I went to buy Fast RMX so I added the rest ($1.36) from my debit card and bought the game. Now my bank is showing the full game price as being charged when I only spent the $1.36

Robiin

Am I stupid. The port on the Switch is USB-C right? Yet it doesn't work with my phone charger (Samsung S7)? Is my phone not USB-C?

I was hoping they would work with the same charger, so I don't have to carry multiple cables around...

Shiggy

Alright so I bought a 20 dollar eshop code and redeemed it. I went to buy Fast RMX so I added the rest ($1.36) from my debit card and bought the game. Now my bank is showing the full game price as being charged when I only spent the $1.36

Can you post the eShop receipt (without your personal information)? It should be on your email account.

febLey

Am I stupid. The port on the Switch is USB-C right? Yet it doesn't work with my phone charger (Samsung S7)? Is my phone not USB-C?

I was hoping they would work with the same charger, so I don't have to carry multiple cables around...
I don't think your phone charger has enough voltage, the Switch need 15V with 2.6A iirc.
For example the charger of my Nexus 5X has only 5V with 3.0A.

Robiin

S7 is normal micro USB not USB C.
Aw, shit. Thanks. I realized I got a USB-A to USB-C cable with the Pro controller! So at least I don't have to get a new AC adapter, I can just use my phone charger but change the cable :)

EDIT: And I am so angry at this HDMI signal bullshit. I have a KS8000 and it constantly gets a signal from the Switch when it's docked in sleep mode and the TV decides to change inputs. My girlfriend called me yesterday when I was at work and I had no idea what was going on. Told her to undock it and describe to her how to turn it off. Needs to get a fix ASAP.

Defect

Can you post the eShop receipt (without your personal information)? It should be on your email account.
Nevermind, I just realized it is the charge for Snipperclips. Not sure why it just now showed up when I bought it on the 3rd but whatever.

JoeNut

it needs to be one with the chunky bit on the plug like comes in the box - there'll be something on that that gives you the voltage etc. and you'll need to replicate that.

-

For all the negative BS on GAF i am really loving my experience with the switch so far, i've had it in handheld and loved it, i've had it with the joycons in my hand and the screeen propped up and i've loved it (and it was great for a shrine in zelda where you had to rotate the joycon to move a platform) and i've had it on my projector which gives a screen size of about 120" and it looked fantastic.

I really do feel positive about the Switch so far.

Yazuka

I'm pretty happy to be living in a country Nintendo doesn't care enough about to translate anything (Sweden), so everything is simply in English.
It would at least have been nice if they added a Swedish keybord to the menu, but hey!I'm glad I don't have to have the console in Swedish at least.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It would at least have been nice if they added a Swedish keybord to the menu, but hey!I'm glad I don't have to have the console in Swedish at least.

Oh, it doesn't have that? Since you can't even send messages to friends I've had zero need to input Swedish letters so far, so I hadn't noticed, but yeah, I hope they add that.

F34R

Loving my Switch, but I don't understand the deal with the Wi-Fi, why is it so bad? It's really annoying.

I can also see the left joycon connection problems can be an issue for some, but thankfully, it isn't an issue for me right now.

That's kinda vague. What's the problem? You just plug the Dock in, and erm.... put the Switch on it.

WiFi quality is spotty in general. If you are using 5Ghz, it's really, really, really bad, even in the same room, in my experience. 2.4Ghz seems to be actually usable, but it's not a great signal either.
So far, my wifi issue hasn't really been an issue. My router is sitting in the living room, behind a wall, about 25 feet from my bedroom. With the door closed, my 24G is sitting on 14/8 and my 5G is at 44/7. (120/10 is my max)

Blizzard, please put Diablo 3 on this.
This!! I would definitely buy it for sure lol.

Bomberman is just a disaster :(

The controls ruin it. Even in singleplayer the controls are sloppy, laggy, and sap the fun out of the game.
That's unfortunate. I was literally about to buy it after I finished reading the updated thread posts.

daxgame

got my switch yesterday with Zelda!

First thing I checked were dead pixel. None so I was good to go.
Then I tested the joycons. I tried them behind my back, covering with hand, everything I could think, even under the blanket. No issues !
I can't go further than six meters in the room the Switch is in, btw. My Switch is also on the side

Updated the system, took 3-4 minutes. Took off auto-brightness. Bought Fast RMX.

Random incidents:

I wanted to play Zelda and... nothing appeared on the menu. Kept trying to re-insert the cartridge and it worked, but damn that was a scare. Hasn't happened ever again (and I did try to pull it out and in again).

While in handheld mode, the first time I somehow forgot that the joycons had to "click" and I didn't have the left one clicking so it was almost falling out, saved it tho :p

Also it took me some googling to find out that apparently you need to connect the Pro Controller with the cable first, the first time ? The Sync button wasn't working before I did that.

my impressions

+ blazing fast menus and game loading times. Also going from a game to the menu. Even saving in Zelda is fast. It felt sooo good! I hate long saving times
+ the joycons with the grip felt okay. I don't like the sticks but still, I reach them just fine and I quickly got used to it. I played in handheld mode though most of the time so far and the same concept applies.
+ the pro controller is fucking great. Good thing there are so few games because it was expensive
+ HD Rumble: I barely noticed it but I felt it in FAST RMX and I like it a lot. And I guess it's pretty far from the stuff 1-2 Switch or even DQH did, so looking forward to that.
+ both Zelda and FAST are pretty damn good.
+ Overall it feels like the best console I ever owned solely due to the comfort, but much will depend on the games I guess.

- the joycons are too small to me and I won't ever use them without the grip (unless we are outside I guess). For multiplayer we'll use the Pro. They are uncomfortable, even my wife who has relatively tiny hands, agreed. I don't like the sticks either.
- I don't think I'll ever play in tabletop mode, I'm just paranoid. The kickstand does his job but I don't trust myself not hitting whatever thing the Switch is standing on - not the switch itself (be it a table or whatev.). I could see cases where the Switch lies against a pillow or something instead but I'm worried about the fan, so not sure.
- seriously I can't transfer my saves? FFS.
- not sure if the scratches thing are real or not but whatev' buying a tempered glass cover I guess. I even widened by force the dock a little anyway, not sure if it might help

iKhayal18

Anyone have a 4K Samsung KS8000? The hdmi input on the tv automatically changes to which ever console powers on. The Switch has been randomly kicking me off whatever hdmi input I am currently using while still being off/sleep mode. Anyone else have a problem with this?

This happened to me with the Wii U as well... I had to take the HDMI cable off because when I was playing with the PS4 it changed automatically to the Wii U signal when it went searching for updates (in the standby —orange light— mode).

tommyguns

So my joy cons, when sliding onto the switch itself, have like a 'stop' before going into the final clicked in position. Like a mini click/slow down 3/4 of the way down, and THEN the final position.

When sliding them onto the grip, it is 100% smooth all the way.

Anyone else with this? Is this just how the locking mechanism is?

Gotta say, I like the little controller grip for the joy-cons! It's surprisingly good in my hands.

Yep, me too. I actually went out on Sunday (got the Switch at midnight launch) and bought the charging grip for them. They had pro controllers available, but I couldn't justify the extra cost considering how well the grip has worked out for me. The real test will be when/if I get a game that is dpad-intesive (I can't use analog sticks for 2D games--it just doesn't feel right). If the dpad "buttons" suck then I could possibly cave for a pro controller.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Guys I have no idea on how to connect and disconnect the joy cons. you can press a button on the inside on the joy con and it disconnects it right?

To remove the joycons from the main unit press and hold the little round button on the back just under the shoulder buttons.

If they are connected to the strap, make sure the tab at the bottom has been pulled down and then you should be able to tug them off. No need to use the release button on the back.

KevinG

I haven't even removed my Joy Cons from the Switch since the setup process. I should probably test out the grip just to see how it feels.

My thoughts too.

I removed the Joy-Con for a few minutes, but wasn't a huge fan.

I haven't played much undocked.

Javier

Man, I love the Switch game cases. They're going to look great stacked with each other when I have a larger collection in a couple of years.

bigJP

i havent played many nintendo games before but the A and B buttons are driving me crazy. On Xbox they are flipped lol
anyone else find the joy-con controller small? dont feel like i can be as accurate say using an xbox controller.

To remove the joycons from the main unit press and hold the little round button on the back just under the shoulder buttons.

If they are connected to the strap, make sure the tab at the bottom has been pulled down and then you should be able to tug them off. No need to use the release button on the back.

My straps were a bitch to take off. They were REALLY stuck. Lock tab was out and all. I'll probably never use them again, heh!

Aiii

So not worth it
I haven't even tried the grip.

I haven't either, I either use the Joycon's on the system (the only reason I would disconnect them is for some multiplayer Snipperclips, really) or the Pro Controller. The Grip is still in the Switch box, actually.

marrec

Banned
I haven't even tried the grip.

The grip is... not good. It's usable certainly but I wouldn't want to use it if I had any choice in the matter.

The order goes:

Joycon Separated > Pro Controller > Grip

Not to say that the Pro Controller is bad in anyway, it's a solid control device that will get a lot of use out of me, but I really just love the comfort and usability of the Joycons in each hand, specifically for Zelda.

Slamming a metal box into an enemy with the right Joycon will always be most satisfying when you can do it one handed lol

BriGuy

I hate to beat a dead horse, but if you're going to spend any time with the Switch in docked mode, you owe it to yourself to try the Pro controller. It's a dramatic improvement over the joycon grip. It's solid, has a good weight to it, and the buttons, triggers, and overall layout are so much better.

And I know this isn't an issue for everyone, but it solved my desync issues as well; no more lemming Link walking off of cliffs to his doom.

BizzyBum

Sorry my apologies I mean with the syncing. Like if I have 4 joy cons synced and I want them in a particular order (kids will be kids fighting over the neons) how do I sync them in the specific order I want?

I think I saw something like that in one of the controller options in settings.

TheFuzz

The grip is... not good. It's usable certainly but I wouldn't want to use it if I had any choice in the matter.

The order goes:

Joycon Separated > Pro Controller > Grip

Not to say that the Pro Controller is bad in anyway, it's a solid control device that will get a lot of use out of me, but I really just love the comfort and usability of the Joycons in each hand, specifically for Zelda.

Slamming a metal box into an enemy with the right Joycon will always be most satisfying when you can do it one handed lol

Opinions and such.... but IMHO the Pro controller is the best controller ever right now.

Sushigod7

I was ok with the grip till yesterday when my pro arrived, holy shit its perfect. My only way I would stop using it was if they had a Gamecube pro controller released.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
My straps were a bitch to take off. They were REALLY stuck. Lock tab was out and all. I'll probably never use them again, heh!

Mine were difficult to take off the first time, though I don't know if that was because I was trying to remove them while holding down the release button.

Now that I've used them a few time they are quite easy to remove.

It's currently my favourite way to play Zelda.

BizzyBum

Opinions and such.... but IMHO the Pro controller is the best controller ever right now.

Yeah, now that I have the Pro I will never use the joycons again. I tried playing Zelda with separated joycons and it's cool but super uncomfortable. They are just too damn small.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom