• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm assuming I'll pay a fee for screen replacement.
That's all I want. As long as it isn't exorbitant.

If they won't do that, I think the ifixit tear down suggested the plastic screen should be a relatively simple DIY swap if you can find a spare part

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Are the Joycons meant to make this god awful rattling sound when they rumble? Sounds like those poor quality speakers that distort when there's too much bass.

Mine do and I hate it. It's so loud, like a loud smartphone vibrating on a glass table or something.

Vinnk

Is there any indication of when Minecraft will hit switch? It's the best-selling Vita game in Japan and one of the best (if not the best) selling 3rd party WiiU games in Japan. A switch port could be really big here.

Theswweet

Is there any indication of when Minecraft will hit switch? It's the best-selling Vita game in Japan and one of the best (if not the best) selling 3rd party WiiU games in Japan. A switch port could be really big here.

The sooner the better. I actually haven't played Minecraft since, gosh, the Alpha days? I'd love a portable version of it that had the PS4/Xbox One size levels. Seems like the Switch certainly has enough RAM to support it.

RobbieNick

Superbomberman R isn't exactly wowing me, so I thought I'd trade it in at Gamestop, but their website shows no trade in values for Switch games. Are they not taking them in for trade for some reason?

Charadis

Anyone know if Switch games have marks on the contacts right out of the box? Or do they appear after putting a game in the system?

Funny, I had noticed marks on the contacts of my Zelda cartridge when I just opened it today. My BotW SE finally arrived from Amazon, sealed, and I just noticed shinier streaks on the cartridge contacts as if someone had tested it in a system. No big, everything was sealed so I know it's not a used copy.

Vitacat

Superbomberman R isn't exactly wowing me, so I thought I'd trade it in at Gamestop, but their website shows no trade in values for Switch games. Are they not taking them in for trade for some reason?
Just sell it on the GAF buy/sell thread. You'll get more money, and give someone here a chance to try the game for less than retail.

ekim

Just seen a trailer for an open beta in 2 weeks for Splatoon 2 on its eshop page. Was this known or is this new news?

derFeef

So I have my Switch coming today and I wanted to be prepared and buy Zelda digitally online. I guess I still need to buy Nintendo games directly on the console? Ugh.

gkeller16

Neo Member
Was wanting to purchase one ,would be my first Nintendo system since OG NES,but didn't really have the extra cash to get it. Open up my mail today ,have a $500 check from my dentist where I had overpaid and I'm like hell ya ,Switch baby!! Now I have to find one haha.

Wasp14

My credit card was just charged for the Switch I ordered and Amazon has a shipping date for the 10th. It's really happening! I haven't been this excited for a new console in a long time.

E-phonk

Banned
My Switch loses WiFi connection when transitioning from mobile to docked. Anyone experiencing this? I can search up access points, but all fail to connect. Specifically they fail to obtain an IP. Only powering down the device will fix this.
You can maybe try giving the switch a fixed IP adress in the range of your wifi network. I've had devices in the past that reacted less good on DHCP with different AP's.

ekim

So I have my Switch coming today and I wanted to be prepared and buy Zelda digitally online. I guess I still need to buy Nintendo games directly on the console? Ugh.

Afaik you need to open the eshop once on the console to access it in the browser.

I just checked: I can buy games online.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
How I feel when applying a screen protector:

9e2qH.gif

THERE ARE ALWAYS A HANDFUL OF DUST SPECS CREATING BUBBLES

Yep, I hate it. I've never managed it properly, not once in my life. That's why I'm super reluctant to get one for my Switch, even though I know I sort of "need" it. I don't use them on phones, but then again those have Gorilla Glass and all that, so they don't really scratch under normal circumstances.

Is there a way to protect a save game from loading and played by another house hold?

I'd recommend locking your doors so your neighbors can't just waltz in and play your Switch.

Vitacat

Is there a way to protect a save game from loading and played by my kids?
Not sure, but have you tried the Switch parental control app for Android? I know nothing about it, but I just know it exists.

Otherwise, depending on your kids age, make sure they have their own accounts setup on the Switch and know how to use them. Use X to close out of your games when you're done, and keep the user selection prompt on when starting games. Those things should help protect saves from other people using them accidentally. Intentional use, not sure if there's a way yet.

Nere

I am dying for gamecube games on VC, the ability to play let's say Metroid prime on the move excites me. What are the chances of seeing gamecube games on VC?

Cerium

I'm not sure which thread exactly to post this in, but the Indivisible folks have a survey on Twitter with a lot of questions about Switch. They've posted on GAF about being in discussions with their publisher about a Switch version; if they get a good response on the survey we might see it happen. Game looks really neat.

Darkone

Not sure, but have you tried the Switch parental control app for Android? I know nothing about it, but I just know it exists.

Otherwise, depending on your kids age, make sure they have their own accounts setup on the Switch and know how to use them. Use X to close out of your games when you're done, and keep the user selection prompt on when starting games. Those things should help protect saves from other people using them accidentally. Intentional use, not sure if there's a way yet.

Thanks, i will try.

hao chi

I am dying for gamecube games on VC, the ability to play let's say Metroid prime on the move excites me. What are the chances of seeing gamecube games on VC?

As much as I love the Wiimote controls for the Prime games, holy shit playing Prime on a portable sounds amazing and I don't know why I never considered that before.

Zedark

Is there a way to protect a save game from loading and played by my kids?
I am guessing you are talking about Zelda atm. There is an option in the parental controls app to restrict games with a certain, though you can't block individual titles. Perhaps that works as a workaround for the moment?

AndTAR

How I feel when applying a screen protector:

9e2qH.gif

THERE ARE ALWAYS A HANDFUL OF DUST SPECS CREATING BUBBLES
A major revelation in that "real-life mini-game" for me was a guide posted by one of the screen protector brands on YouTube, where they recommended humidifying a room first (like a hot shower in a bathroom), which would then weigh down all free dust in the air. I think I have quite serious doubts about the safety of exposing electronics to all that steam - lol - but apparently it did actually work, had success with it several times in a row myself. Probably still just a horrible idea - I'm sure it triggered all the liquid indicators in the iDevices I did it to, lol.

So I understand tempered glass will be extremely unlikely to form bubbles - have never tried those myself, but I guess this Switch plastic screen is the most obvious opportunity yet.

Nere

As much as I love the Wiimote controls for the Prime games, holy shit playing Prime on a portable sounds amazing and I don't know why I never considered that before.

Yeah but it is Nintendo we are talking here so doubt they will do it.

Skarnet

Banned
Okay thanks. I kinda thought already that might be the case. Still :-(

What is :-( ? You are making no sense.. it is painful for you that you have to setup an e-shop account on a completely new console you don't have yet before you can start buying and downloading games? People these days :-O
And even if you could have bought it online beforehand, you would have saved like 2 minutes of time.. guess that is a good reason to be sad?!?

derFeef

What is :-( ? You are making no sense.. it is painful for you that you have to setup an e-shop account on a completely new console you don't have yet before you can start buying and downloading games? People these days :-O
And even if you could have bought it online beforehand, you would have saved like 2 minutes of time.. guess that is a good reason to be sad?!?

You are putting more energy into this than me.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
guess i'll try amFilm. i usually hate protectors but i want to not worry so much.

anyone have pics of it with a game running?

how does it alter the IQ? how does it feel to the touch?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What 4 player local games are out or coming out soon? Tempted to buy some joycons but I only have bomberman and snipperclips (and snipperclips seems more like a 2 player game - the 'fighting' mode seems a bit stupid)

Wondering if it is better to wait for Mario Kart. Will splatoon have any splitscreen local MP?

What 4 player local games are out or coming out soon? Tempted to buy some joycons but I only have bomberman and snipperclips (and snipperclips seems more like a 2 player game - the 'fighting' mode seems a bit stupid)

Wondering if it is better to wait for Mario Kart. Will splatoon have any splitscreen local MP?
4 player Snipperclips has been a hoot. Both puzzle and mini games modes.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I had a weird issue yesterday. I woke my Switch up from sleep mode (docked) and the output on my tv was 480p! I went into the menu and switched it to automatic and back to 1080p, but I still got 480p. Did a sleep/restart and it went back to 1080. Still weird though.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I received the Pro controller yesterday. It is as godly as repeatedly said around here. It is so good that I want to build a shrine for it. Not going back to joycons now, unless in handheld mode.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I received the Pro controller yesterday. It is as godly as repeatedly said around here. It is so good that I want to build a shrine for it. Not going back to joycons now, unless in handheld mode.

I even use it when I have the Switch in portable mode in-house. I love that controller and can't let it go. Charged it up for the second time last night, good for another 40 hours lol.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom