• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurt

Ugh, SMD64. Put a warning before the links. :p

Uncharted 4 uses a Naughty Dog's in-house engine and I doubt that will come close to anything Switch.

I don't know if he has a bad reputation.
But if this is true, i don't think anyone expect ps4 level of gfx. :)
But it's nice to see with this new engine what the switch can do.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Does the charging grip come with a cable so you can plug it into the dock? If I buy a second set of joycons I'll need a charging solution that doesn't involve doing shifts with the main switch unit

TheFuzz

After 5 days of use, i just noticed the fan running (I've played a few sessions docked, not for hours on end).

When I booted up BOTW I started in kakariko village. I heard the fan humming quietly, but I hadn't heard it before. I thought that the fans usually would run later as the unit heats up but it started immediately after going into the game. After a couple minutes I didn't hear it anymore.

Sounds stupid, but would the fan kick on immediately just based on what the processor is handling and not necessarily the length of time it's been running?

jonno394

Sounds stupid, but would the fan kick on immediately just based on what the processor is handling and not necessarily the length of time it's been running?

Exactly that. Things heat up pretty quick depending on how demanding things are. An area with loads of NPCs in with their own routines etc is likely quite stressful on the device.

ag-my001

I'm sure it's been asked before, but is there a more economical but still reliable AC/USB-C charging cable? Saw the official one for $40 in a store yesterday.

TheFuzz

Exactly that. Things heat up pretty quick depending on how demanding things are. An area with loads of NPCs in with their own routines etc is likely quite stressful on the device.

Ah ok, thanks. That makes sense. This whole time I've been leisurely taking my time with exploring and with shrines so this would have been the first time I booted the game straight into a village.

I'm having a weird issue ATM.

Played a bit in bed last night, went from 100% to 84%. Turned it fully off then put it in the case.

Woke up this morning and the battery reads 100%. Guessing it's just a battery indicator issue, but what should I do? Just use the device til it drains completely?

I played for about an hour and now it's on 60%.

So I've been hearing about hardware/reliability issues going on with the docks, so much that Nintendo delisted them from their website. Can someone explain what that's all about? I'm very interested in buying a separate dock to have one in my basement in front of the elliptical (playing like that with split joycons is the best workout I've ever had) and one upstairs with the big TV.

The dock I have has no issues, and I still don't see how it can scratch the screen if you pull it out fairly carefully every time.

Ros8105

I received the Pro controller yesterday. It is as godly as repeatedly said around here. It is so good that I want to build a shrine for it. Not going back to joycons now, unless in handheld mode.
Damn, the controller is sold out everywhere here in the Netherlands. I want it :(

So I've been hearing about hardware/reliability issues going on with the docks, so much that Nintendo delisted them from their website. Can someone explain what that's all about? I'm very interested in buying a separate dock to have one in my basement in front of the elliptical (playing like that with split joycons is the best workout I've ever had) and one upstairs with the big TV.

The dock I have has no issues, and I still don't see how it can scratch the screen if you pull it out fairly carefully every time.
https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/po/browse/productDetailColorSizePicker.jsp?productId=prod880075

Its up for sale now, not sure where you heard it was delisted..

Chorazin

Actually found a Hori PlayStand yesterday at my local Toys R Us, of all places! That thing is pretty freaking handy, and it fits into the mesh area of the Sheikah Slate pouch perfectly.

maxcriden

Just saw moltonasty mentioned the dock is now for sale. The dock was previously not delisted but rather was out of stock:

GoNintendo: Switch dock sold out on Nintendo's online store, not yanked due to issues

However, there is an issue with packaging them that might contribute to warping/bending problems:

Nintendo online store - Switch dock shipment packaging seem a bit unsafe

Regarding the dock itself and screen scratching, from my forays here and there into the very large conversation about it, there are some strongly differing opinions and experiences, it seems some (likely a small percentage) particularly have this issue.

There is also a debate regarding whether screen protectors are wise or safe to apply to the screen since there are reports of some, even the glass ones, having issues with melting.

Secondly, there is a school of thought that says put something soft, like moleskin or felt on the inside of the dock to prevent scratching, but appleofenlightment made a post I feel is worth sharing regarding this:

My first post at Neogaf! I've broken radio silence after three years because of the infuriating misinterpretations in this thread.

Sticking felt / cushioning to the inside of the dock will INCREASE the potential for scratching the screen:

1. Over time, felt and textile materials can easily attract and hold dust particles. Tiny particles of dust can on a micro level be abrasive, sand like and scratch the screen.

2. Cushioning the inside of the dock with textile material will make the space in the dock tighter for Switch to fit inside, and thus magnifying the chances of scratching.

Having spent a few years working closely with industrial designers, I would say that Nintendo's decision not to include soft material in the dock is absolutely right -- even though this may at first seem unintuitive. As for the plastic of the dock scratching the screen, I doubt it and I'm sure this has been rigorously tested by Nintendo.

There was a similar counterpoint made regarding the problems adding additional pressure to the screen itself by putting anything more into the dock.

One poster, Poppy, did extensive stress testing and found it was not possible to scratch their Switch screen with the dock.

I will say for myself I posted in there the other day:

I seem to have one small scratch on either side of the bottom of my bezel. Are these the scratches people are talking about? It seems impossible to avoid with my Switch, but at least they aren't on the screen itself (I'm counting the bezel as different from the screen here). Or are people getting scratches on the screen itself...?

These are not necessarily scratches per se I guess, but small scuffs or marks to be more accurate. I think they come from where the Switch sits in the dock at the bottom. I imagine many people will get them, but they are on the bezel. Someone else mentioned getting something similar that they could easily wipe off, I didn't find I could wipe them off but maybe I did not try correctly.

Again, my impression is to be very careful about applying any screen protectors and that if you are careful, the actual screen, as you said, I don't see either how it could be scratched (again, not counting the bezel itself). My impression is any problem with the main screen being scratched is rare and that sticking anything in the dock is a dangerous proposition.

MAX PAYMENT

The stock situation looks pretty bad in my area. I think I might just bite the bullet and get to $500 games top bundle to ship to my house.

I have around 240 in store credit.

Any reason not to?

Can anybody that owns 1-2 Switch check their user profile and see if it shows up under play activity? I played the Game a couple of times but it never asked me to choose a user so it doesn't show up for me.

peakish

I'm having a weird issue ATM.

Played a bit in bed last night, went from 100% to 84%. Turned it fully off then put it in the case.

Woke up this morning and the battery reads 100%. Guessing it's just a battery indicator issue, but what should I do? Just use the device til it drains completely?

I played for about an hour and now it's on 60%.
The machine just returned what it borrowed yesterday.

DjRalford

My switch and Zelda from Very got delivered today, I got work tonight so I have tested everything works and shall play it in my breaks overnight.

Just waiting on snipperclips joycon bundle tomorrow now.

maxcriden

Things I plan on returning to walmart.

Fair enough. ^^ Go forth and enjoy your Switch!

so any new games out today? I checked the eshop and saw a music game, but that's it. I expected a bigger update.

Yep! Notably, Blaster Master Zero! (Also on 3DS.)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1348631&page=3

See posts #120 for EU and #123 for NA. These monthly Nintendo Download threads in the Community forum tend to be the best place to find out what exactly is coming out. NA eShop PR is on Thursday mornings at about 9 AM.

Just saw moltonasty mentioned the dock is now for sale. The dock was previously not delisted but rather was out of stock:

GoNintendo: Switch dock sold out on Nintendo's online store, not yanked due to issues

However, there is an issue with packaging them that might contribute to warping/bending problems:

Nintendo online store - Switch dock shipment packaging seem a bit unsafe

Regarding the dock itself and screen scratching, from my forays here and there into the very large conversation about it, there are some strongly differing opinions and experiences, it seems some (likely a small percentage) particularly have this issue.

There is also a debate regarding whether screen protectors are wise or safe to apply to the screen since there are reports of some, even the glass ones, having issues with melting.

Secondly, there is a school of thought that says put something soft, like moleskin or felt on the inside of the dock to prevent scratching, but appleofenlightment made a post I feel is worth sharing regarding this:

There was a similar counterpoint made regarding the problems adding additional pressure to the screen itself by putting anything more into the dock.

One poster, Poppy, did extensive stress testing and found it was not possible to scratch their Switch screen with the dock.

I will say for myself I posted in there the other day:

These are not necessarily scratches per se I guess, but small scuffs or marks to be more accurate. I think they come from where the Switch sits in the dock at the bottom. I imagine many people will get them, but they are on the bezel. Someone else mentioned getting something similar that they could easily wipe off, I didn't find I could wipe them off but maybe I did not try correctly.

Again, my impression is to be very careful about applying any screen protectors and that if you are careful, the actual screen, as you said, I don't see either how it could be scratched (again, not counting the bezel itself). My impression is any problem with the main screen being scratched is rare and that sticking anything in the dock is a dangerous proposition.

Ooooh okay, looks like I was misinformed then! That'll teach me to play Zelda instead of do the proper research on the internet!

I can understand a warped dock causing scratches on the screen but I have no idea how the standard dock could. The rubber portions are specifically designed to press against the bezel as you insert/remove the unit, specifically so that you don't scratch the screen. Seem fairly foolproof to me...

Okay well, looks like I'll be buying a second dock before long, thanks guys!

maxcriden

Ooooh okay, looks like I was misinformed then! That'll teach me to play Zelda instead of do the proper research on the internet!

I can understand a warped dock causing scratches on the screen but I have no idea how the standard dock could. The rubber portions are specifically designed to press against the bezel as you insert/remove the unit, specifically so that you don't scratch the screen. Seem fairly foolproof to me...

Okay well, looks like I'll be buying a second dock before long, thanks guys!

Sure thing (and I owe you a PM!)!

I guess I still don't follow exactly how a warped dock that you could get the Switch all the way into could affect the visible (game) portion of the screen and not just the bezel. I'm also wondering if people in general are getting these bezel bottom corner smudges also.

MisterR

I received the Pro controller yesterday. It is as godly as repeatedly said around here. It is so good that I want to build a shrine for it. Not going back to joycons now, unless in handheld mode.

It's a fantastic controller. I do all my play with it. One of the best controllers I've ever used. I really don't want to touch the joycons now.

patientx

Guys finally got my switch. Updated, trying the demos for now. Are these the only demos available : snipperclips, puyopuyotetris, dragon quest 1-2 ? Am İ missing anything Else in other regions ?

Protome

What's it like trying to get the Japanese demos, I mean, what do I need to do?
Make a new account, set the country on it to Japan during registration. That's it.

Worth noting that if you do this it'll kinds ruin the News section of the console should you ever want to use it by filling it with need in Japanese.

Man, I mainly got the pro controller for my wife and it is indeed amazing, but for some reason, I feel so much more comfortable with the joycons in the grip. Maybe I just like the neon lol.

Welp, can't find the console anywhere. I feel like I'm in Jingle All the Way.

Lmao

"It's TURBO time!!!"

-Mikey-

Dumb question, folks.

Is there a way to turn off the system with just the controller? I'm not talking about putting it sleep. I've only been able to do it by physically holding the power button to get a prompt.

Am I able to wake the system up with a pro controller? I've yet to have any luck other than pushing power on the system, docking the system, and of course using the joy-cons to power it. The Pro controller just keeps blinking. It works once the system has booted up.

Sorry for the silly questions! 😬😬😬

JCX

I've mostly been using Switch in portable mode. Just realized that joycons solve for one of my issue s with past Nintendo handhelds going back to GBA. Over time, at least one shoulder button starts to go out, but if this happens on Switch, I can just use a different joycon instead of paying for a repair.

So what do I need to charge this with, when dock is not availible.

a USB type A to type C cable?

I could connect via my PS4 for Power and get USB 3.0 speed/power output and not get a slow charge?

AmyS

Make a new account, set the country on it to Japan during registration. That's it.

Worth noting that if you do this it'll kinds ruin the News section of the console should you ever want to use it by filling it with need in Japanese.

Sweet. Thanks Protome.

Sendou

Dumb question, folks.

Is there a way to turn off the system with just the controller? I'm not talking about putting it sleep. I've only been able to do it by physically holding the power button to get a prompt.

Am I able to wake the system up with a pro controller? I've yet to have any luck other than pushing power on the system, docking the system, and of course using the joy-cons to power it. The Pro controller just keeps blinking. It works once the system has booted up.

Sorry for the silly questions! ������

Hold down Home button.

EDIT: Yea my bad misread the post a bit.

Bluenoser

Dumb question, folks.

Sorry for the silly questions! 😬😬😬

No, you have to hold the power button on the top of the unit to get access to the power menu. Only option with a controller is sleep mode.

I don't own a pro controller, but if it has a home button, it should wake it up, same as the home button on the joycon.

Hold down Home button.

That only works while the unit is on the dock. Well for me anyway. If i have the Switch on the table and it's off i cant turn it on with my pro controller. But as soon as i hit the power button on the unit the pro controller is connected.

marrec

Banned
Dunno if it's been posted, but this is a game changer:
KTf0wnD.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/5ycyp4/you_can_totally_use_a_guardian_amiibo_as_a/

:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom