• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyanity

Banned
Has anyone bought a USB type C to type C cable to charge their Switch? My powerbrick only came with a type c adapter to go over a micro usb output. What are the good cables?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Welp. I've never scratched a screen this badly. Dock with Switch inside fell about 3 feet to the ground from a media console top.
This isn't buffing out, so I guess it's a real scratch. I have some Polywatch, maybe that will help. Or f it up more.

What's the process for contacting Nintendo?

33333842455_81e7bd15ba_c.jpg

RobbieNick

My right joycon (red) is completely dead right now and I have no idea why. Last time I used it, I had it in a strap for a bit, but the battery should be almost at full charge. Help!

EDIT: Figured it out. Had to press the tiny sync button next to the L and R buttons.

I did this with my amFilm today and think I still managed to get a single tiny speck caught near the right bezel.

Don't even care. Live there forever my little dusty friend. I could never keep dust off the screen itself when they're "naked" anyway. I just want to be able to use the thing without worry, especially with this sketchy dock situation. Plus the surface of the plastic screen really sucks out of the box, the amFilm feels vastly better to the touch.

Exact same situation here! I applied mine today in a humid bathroom, just one little speck on the bezel near the top. I'll never not see it, but I don't even care. The screen itself is totally clear, and now I can dock and undock to my heart's content without a second thought. Can finally treat the thing like the portable it is.

Just want to get something verified..can the console NEVER be turned off completely while its on the dock..I have the joycons connected, and I powered it off, but the second I put the switch back on the dock it turned itself back on..eventually the power light turns off but I assume that the console is always on sleep mode even when I mean to turn it off completely?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
How's the viewing angle on this? Like, in comparison to the kickstand? Could I use this as a stand for playing in tabletop mode? Or would I have to bend down a lot/be in a low chair for the angle to be right?

Basically, does it angle up more, less, or about the same as the kickstand?

I don't know because I haven't seen the kickstand but the viewing angle is perfect.

Works on high dining table and low bench.

Cyanity

Banned
Ok, so I tested my RAVPower 20100 mAh power brick charging the switch in sleep mode (while BotW was suspended in the background). My Switch went from 40 to 75% in an hour, so it's looking like a 35% per hour deal. Full charge in less than three hours seems legit to me. Now I just need to buy a USB C to USB C cable.

edit - just bought the 3ft Anker USB C charging cable. It's on sale for $8 right now. Good deal.

Lizardus

Pro controller really IS amazing. The ability to fine-tune my aim with the gyro alongside the right analogue stick in BotW is blowing my mind right now. All future controllers need to have gyro.

leng jai

Are the Joycons meant to make this god awful rattling sound when they rumble? Sounds like those poor quality speakers that distort when there's too much bass.

Been pretty fortunate hardware wise with no problems save for my pro controller. The right thumbstick makes a weird rattling noise and feels too loose at times. Think I got unlucky there but amazon is quick to swap.

Just eagerly awaiting for my tempered glass screen protectors . One more week to go.

BFIB

Pro controller really IS amazing. The ability to fine-tune my aim with the gyro alongside the right analogue stick in BotW is blowing my mind right now. All future controllers need to have gyro.
I was hesitant on the Pro at first, thought the grip would be fine.

One night in and I'm a believer. The Pro is the best controller I've ever used.

Rizific

Welp. I've never scratched a screen this badly. Dock with Switch inside fell about 3 feet to the ground from a media console top.
This isn't buffing out, so I guess it's a real scratch. I have some Polywatch, maybe that will help. Or f it up more.

you going to ask nintendo to replace your unit that you dropped?

Been having fun with portable mode, used about 40% of the battery playing breath of the wild in bed, at first it was a bit rough to look at after using the TV for an hour prior but 10 minutes later it was fine, tons better then getting eye pain trying to play monster hunter generations on my 2ds.

You dropped it bro, they aren't going to replace it.

Personally I really hated that feature. Just threw my aim off and caused a little bit of 'jitter' as my hand moved. The aiming itself doesn't feel especially fluid though, so that doesn't help matters.

Glad you could turn it off.

You dropped it bro, they aren't going to replace it.

They would if he said it shipped like that. Not that that's necessarily morally appropriate, but they would replace it without much question at this stage.

Could you elaborate what happened to cause it to fall?

Two questions:
How big is the file size for the DQ Heroes 1 + 2 Demo?
How do I transfer files to my SD Card? Currently want to put Fast RMX on there but dont see any option to transfer.

sneas78

Banned
Guys I bought a second switch .. well actually my amazon Order arrived .. but screw amazon .. I ended up staying over night in line at fredmeyer.. anyways do you guys expect to see a call of duty game for the switch? I pray we get one.

jmizzal

Two questions:
How big is the file size for the DQ Heroes 1 + 2 Demo?
How do I transfer files to my SD Card? Currently want to put Fast RMX on there but dont see any option to transfer.

DQ Heroes demo is very small compared to the full game, I have that puyo puyo tetris and Snipper clipper demo on my system and I still have 23 gigs left

Guys I bought a second switch .. well actually my amazon Order arrived .. but screw amazon .. I ended up staying over night in line at fredmeyer.. anyways do you guys expect to see a call of duty game for the switch? I pray we get one.

I dont see why not, Wii and WiiU had it, plus this year is not Infinity Ward COD so its likely

TheTeacher

Neo Member
I was hesitant on the Pro at first, thought the grip would be fine.

One night in and I'm a believer. The Pro is the best controller I've ever used.

My Pro got shipped a couple of days later than my Switch so I'm still waiting to try it. Opinions are unanimous on it and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

So GAF, part of my Switch haul arrived yesterday:
Atno1Q4.jpg

(Still waiting for a Pro controller, guardian amiibo & carrying case)

Early impressions:
- Found none of the reported issues yet.
- Console is a joy to hold. Really confortable for my averagely sized hands.
- OS is barebones but slick and speedy. I hope they flesh it out soon wothout compromising on speed.
- I have not been able to test HD Rumble yet.
- Joy-con grip is an OK solution for TV gaming.
- Joy-cons feel better when attached to the console itself.
- Build quality is top notch. Very sturdy console.
- Breath of the Wild is a brilliant experience, top to bottom. I couldnt get my hands off of it.
- I appreciate the fact I can still use the headphone jack while docked.

tesqui

It seems like I have to resync the joy-cons every time I want to see how much juice is left. If I don't it falsely show as full battery on both.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Could you elaborate what happened to cause it to fall?

I was going to reposition the dock and stupidly decided to remove the hdmi cable from the receiver first. As I adjusted that cable it was enough to move and push the dock off the console table. Fell about 2.5 feet and the Switch hit the carpet and undocked itself. I'm assuming it was the ejection that caused it.

Ah man this sucks because they ain't gonna do that IMO

Back to the store!

::sigh::

:(

I was going to reposition the dock and stupidly decided to remove the hdmi cable from the receiver first. As I adjusted that cable it was enough to move and push the dock off the console table. Fell about 2.5 feet and the Switch hit the carpet and undocked itself. I'm assuming it was the ejection that caused it.

Ouch. I'll try to keep that in mind the next time I need to adjust the wiring. Good to know. Hopefully you'll be able to fix yours up somehow.

After getting the hang of Fast RMX, that game is a blast. Been using the pro controller more today and what a wonderful piece of hardware. Completely worth the money. I haven't had any hand cramps and all the buttons are very easy to reach. The rumble kind of starts making my hands tremble but it's a very interesting effect.
Having a blast! Can't wait for Mario Kart and Puyo Puyo Tetris.

ACE 1991

Played Breath of the Wild 3 hours straight on a plane today. For all the problems that some of the switch has its such a comfortable and pretty handheld.

VegaShinra

The launch lineup may have been slim in offerings, but Zelda, Snipperclips, Fast RMX, Bomberman, and Specter of Torment have been keeping me plenty busy and have been satisfying my gaming itch. Tons of quality in these games.

::sigh::

What retailer did you buy your Switch from? With Best Buy you can order a Geek Squad Replacement Plan up until the return period is over. I paid $50 for the plan on the Switch. I my never need to use the plan, but peace of mind is good enough for me.

AaronMT86

My Switch loses WiFi connection when transitioning from mobile to docked. Anyone experiencing this? I can search up access points, but all fail to connect. Specifically they fail to obtain an IP. Only powering down the device will fix this.

DavidDesu

so, a question for you early adopters,since nintendo seemed to consider the switch mainly a home console that can be used as a portable: does the switch really feel as an hybrid or are you going to use it mainly docked as a home console or as a portable?

I think how users are using it may define the future of the platform (WiiU or 3ds succesor)

It's really 50/50 for me. Played a ton of Zelda in bed at the beginning. Just played a night of the game on my TV. Works both ways but nice on a larger screen, but it really does work both ways. Amazing handheld, and a pretty good home console, but of course nothing that will graphically compete with PS4, but does it need to? Zelda is amazing lol.

Persona7

Banned
I like how you can regenerate a friend code easily now. 3DS required a complete system initialization to generate a new code.

VegaShinra

Is there any way to access the eshop without typing in the password?

My passwords are random and a pain in the ass to type!

System settings has the option under eShop settings or something. When you first visited the eShop it should have given you a prompt to use or dismiss the need to enter a password.

RobbieNick

The system was saying my Super Bomberman cart was corrupted when all it needed was an update. It wouldn't even play off the cartridge.

Persona7

Banned
Anyone know if Switch games have marks on the contacts right out of the box? Or do they appear after putting a game in the system?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Ouch. I'll try to keep that in mind the next time I need to adjust the wiring. Good to know. Hopefully you'll be able to fix yours up somehow.

Yeah, I forgot how light it is. I'm used to my HDMI devices not moving around like that so it slipped my mind.

What retailer did you buy your Switch from? With Best Buy you can order a Geek Squad Replacement Plan up until the return period is over. I paid $50 for the plan on the Switch. I my never need to use the plan, but peace of mind is good enough for me.

Best Buy, and my return period is 45 days I think since I'm Elite+ or whatever. We'll see what Nintendo says tomorrow first.

Lol what the heck: Um, I Think Something's Wrong w/ my Switch? - Repetitive Sounds

I haven't laughed this hard in a long time. Wtf is going on here and why is the sound revving up? LOL

This is amazing.

Hey does the switch have a little prong to tie a wrist strap or charm from?

No. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom