• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
My observation from playing a dpad-centric game like Blaster Master for the first time is that I really like the feel of the button dpad for light use...but when it's primary control my thumb gets worn out quickly. It feels like it takes more effort to maneuver with it than usual.

Protein

Banned
Still no luck finding a Switch. You can tell store employees sound annoyed as fuck with the amount times they get asked about this console.

Defect

I'm not sure. You can create a US eshop account, redeem the code and then play it under your Canadian account.
You don't have to make an extra account for different regions. Just change your region on accounts.nintendo, do whatever you wanna do then change it back.

That's how I got Shovel Knight for $12 on my main.

KAL2006

Banned
Had the Switch for a few days, the form factor is really incredible. Still surprised at how "powerful" this thing is for the size it is.

I also end up playing Zelda in the morning because of how fast this thing is booting up from sleep. 5 seconds to get back into the game, that's really a game changer for me.

Isn't this feature available on 3DS, Vita, PS4 and Xbox One.

Or is it much faster.

I've played Zelda two times now and had a brief left joy-con issue one each time. Last night it made me run off of a cliff that I was trying to walk closer to.

I may move the dock to closer to where i sit,though that's also further from the router.

Or maybe I should just get a pro controller.

I plan on taking it to work once i get my protective stuff, so it could be cool to just leave the joy-cons on at all times.

Speaking of joycons, my right one feels looser and makes a creak nose if you apply pressure while the other doesn't. I suppose it'll be fine if it doesn't get worse.

Disktrasa

Banned
Were making som dinner for the rest of the family, had the Switch beside the stove in tabletopmode playing KoF98 with one joy per in each hand, just press sleepmode evertime i hade to do something in the kitchen then right back to kicking ass.

As a hard working father with limited time to play i have to say; if Vita is life, then Switch is Eternity and a Dream at the same time.

11/10

Cyanity

Banned
Were making som dinner for the rest of the family, had the Switch beside the stove in tabletopmode playing KoF98 with one joy per in each hand, just press sleepmode evertime i hade to do something in the kitchen then right back to kicking ass.

As a hard working father with limited time to play i have to say; if Vita is life, then Switch is Eternity and a Dream at the same time.

11/10

Sounds like you could use a pair of hip holsters for the joycons

I assume this has been posted

91b.jpg

F34R

Is losing 18% battery life overnight in sleep mode normal? Maybe I should have turned off wifi.

I wouldn't say normal. Mine is sitting at 81% left and it's been on for at least 24 hrs and I've played about 10 minutes of Zelda as well.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
There was no exception. They're worried about getting sued over dock scratching, and they absolutely will if they don't do blanket warranty coverage of it.

Perhaps. Though he explicitly asked if it came from docking and undocking and I said no.

Seik

Banned
Brought my Switch at my job today, me and a coworker rocked the first world of Bomberman, shit was legit. :D

The more I play the more I like it.

derFeef

Awesome, I can charge the Switch with my Lumia Phone charger :)
What case does everyone recommend for the Switch? I don't have game cartridges, just the switch with Joycons and maybe a cable.

Is losing 18% battery life overnight in sleep mode normal? Maybe I should have turned off wifi.

I didn't touch or charge mine for three days and it had only lost about 9%.

Do you leave games running in background? I close the games before I put the Switch to sleep.

Persona7

Banned
I wouldn't say normal. Mine is sitting at 81% left and it's been on for at least 24 hrs and I've played about 10 minutes of Zelda as well.
I didn't touch or charge mine for three days and it had only lost about 9%.

Do you leave games running in background? I close the games before I put the Switch to sleep.

I left Zelda running and I left it in a location where the wifi is really bad so that probably had a hit on battery life. I will keep that in mind. I feel like if I am going to close a game I might as well just shut the system off.

One of my favorite things, although minor, is the way the system handles headphones being plugged in or unplugged.

Unlike the other Nintendo Systems (3DS, DS, etc) when you plug in your headphones, the volume is adjusted based on your last setting, same for unplugging. What I really appreciate though is that when you unplug the headset, the system mutes itself so that it doesn't start off blaring.

Again it's minor and other systems do it, just glad to see that it's part of this system.

Can anyone recommend for me a good MicroSD card for the Switch(128gb preferred) Ive seen a few like the Sandisk Extreme(not sure the difference between that and the plus) and the Samsung one but really not sure which one is good

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
One of my favorite things, although minor, is the way the system handles headphones being plugged in or unplugged.

Unlike the other Nintendo Systems (3DS, DS, etc) when you plug in your headphones, the volume is adjusted based on your last setting, same for unplugging. What I really appreciate though is that when you unplug the headset, the system mutes itself so that it doesn't start off blaring.

Again it's minor and other systems do it, just glad to see that it's part of this system.

Well I think that's more of a hardware thing since the DS and 3DS line all have physical sliders for volume control where the Switch has buttons.

AaronMT86

Went to my local Toy's R'Us to check if they had any official AC adapters and they were all sold out. I couldn't believe those would be selling.

My god, Blaster Master isn't just a nostalgia trip but very fun! So worth the measly $10. It also reiterates a feeling I had a while back: Switch is a dream come true for 2D games to be played on the tablet. Docked is fine too, but man that game looks so good and just feels right on the tablet. If they'd develop new Castlevania or Mega Man games for Switch, in widescreen and with better pixel quality... oh my fuck

Or anything like that really. Hell it'd be amazing if the next Zelda were a break from the big open world 3D thingy and were just a traditional top-down 2D Zelda, it would look so nice on the tablet. The possibilities they have with this thing are great, they just need to actually get it done.

My god, Blaster Master isn't just a nostalgia trip but very fun! So worth the measly $10. It also reiterates a feeling I had a while back: Switch is a dream come true for 2D games to be played on the tablet. Docked is fine too, but man that game looks so good and just feels right on the tablet. If they'd develop new Castlevania or Mega Man games for Switch, in widescreen and with better pixel quality... oh my fuck

Damn, suddenly I want ports of Mega Man 9 + 10 plus Castlevania Rebirth.

They would look amazing on the tablet screen

Does anyone else have an issue where the rumble on one of the joycons is a bit more "aggressive" and louder than the other? My left Joy-con is noticeably more noisy and harsh in its rumble, especially when playing the ball count in 1-2 Switch. You can kind of hear the rattle of what causes it to vibrate. I don't think it's normal but i wanted to double check that there isn't normally a bit of a difference before I raised a stink.

Jashobeam

Just got my Switch and need some help, I'm trying to link my Wii U / 3ds Nintendo account but it says the linked account isn't the same as a Nintendo Network ID, ok so what other type of account is there to link?

03sho

Can someone explain the charging situation please. Do I need to keep it in slee mode to fully charge the console and joy cons? How long does it take to fully charge?

TankRizzo

Banned
Can someone explain the charging situation please. Do I need to keep it in slee mode to fully charge the console and joy cons? How long does it take to fully charge?

no. It charges relatively fast. If you're using a travel battery and playing zelda, it won't charge.

You don't really have to worry about the JoyCons, their batteries last 20 hours. As for charging the console, as long as you are using Nintendo's charger being in sleep mode charges it the fastest (around 3 hours), but it still charges if you are playing a game, it just takes a lot longer.

KingV

makes me really excited for more ' pick up and play' titles like mk8, puyo and pocket rumble. being able to pick it up and dive into a game in seconds is so dope. goes great w my morning cofffee

Even Zelda can be pick up and play this way. The switch blows me away. It's very high quality feeling, and the power available in that form factor is truly stunning once you start using it.

Quick update.
I called Nintendo this morning and the guy was really sympathetic. They made an exception for this repair to fall under warranty.

There's actually a valid warranty case in their system for scratches caused by docking and undocking so I believe that is what he used.

The normal repair fee is $99 btw.
Well, that's a happy ending! Did the Nintendo rep do this at no cost to you?

RoadHazard

Gold Member

The console itself charges whether it's on, off, or in sleep mode. The Joycon only charge if the Switch is on or in sleep mode, NOT if it's turned off.

The console itself charges whether it's on, off, or in sleep mode. The Joycon only charge if the Switch is on or in sleep mode, NOT if it's turned off.

Based on my joycons' charge level I also think that the Switch only charges them if they get below a certain charge threshold. At least when undocked. I haven't had my joycons attached to the system while docked for days, but have had them attached while docked and they are still showing about 75% charged each. So I don't think they are being charged while undocked.

So i bought an Anker 20000 usb c to usb c charger. When i use the usb c to usb c cable and plug it in... the switch seems to be charging the bar and not the other way arround lol am i just doing this wrong???

spekkeh

Banned
So I tried out 1-2 Switch today at the bar of my university. It was pretty quiet, but everyone crowded around. Some four or five people came up to me to say they were really jealous and feltbadman that they didn't preorder it before, but they were definitely getting one. Now I look online and see at one store this thing is sold out until the middle of May.

It's happening isn't it? This is going to be another Wii.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom