• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coketruck

Finally, based on some of the hardware defect reports (these happen every hardware launch I know) Have you exprienced much of them? I'm talking screen scratches, joycon desynching, freezing etc.

The only issue I've had is the left Joycon desynching one. It happens infrequently, and I can correct it by making sure I don't have my leg or something in the way. Otherwise, no problems. Great machine.

F34R

Awesome thanks..what is the difference between the Ultra and the Supreme..any difference at all?
Also..as far as the LAN Adapter goes.I have time warner cable(Spectrum now) and I have from before a Nyko Wii U Lan Adapter, but its USB 2.0..the wifi in my room stinks it wouldnt recognize my 5G or any wifi internet..actually it would recognize it but the connection test was a fail every time..so I connected my lan adapter to the back of the dock, but the speed is only like 35mbps(My spectrum internet is 100mbps.) so not sure if its because I plugged it into the back or its because its USB 2.0 that the speed isnt that great..so would it be better to go with something like this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AQM8586/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The Extreme has better write speeds. The LAN issue, I dunno without researching it. I use wifi and don't dock the Switch yet.

ColdPizza

Banned
I don't really know if this thread is a good place to ask and I don't want to create another Switch thread for a batery question.

I picked my Switch up on the 5th thanks to Gamestop holding my pre order. I've only been playing Zelda Breath of the Wild since getting the Switch.

I only play the Switch on Hand held and haven't connected to the TV yet. I've been charging my Switch twice a day since the 5th. How long would my Switch's batery last if I keep going on like this?

Dunno, I'm guessing 2 years. I don't think this thing was intended by Nintendo to be a portable only device given the current battery life.

The Argus

Just installed the amFilm Glass Screen Protector. Stupid easy. Didn't even have to use the hinge method. Looks sooo much better and cleaner than the official PDP guard I had on since launch. Could never get the bubbles out of that one, but it was well worth the 8 bucks to keep my screen safe till the amFilms arrived.

No bubbles, feels great, and incredibly packaged for the Hamilton. Recommended 100 times over.

ColdPizza

Banned
Just installed the amFilm Glass Screen Protector. Stupid easy. Didn't even have to use the hinge method. Looks sooo much better and cleaner than the official PDP guard I had on since launch. Could never get the bubbles out of that one, but it was well worth the 8 bucks to keep my screen safe till the amFilms arrived.

No bubbles, feels great, and incredibly packaged for the Hamilton. Recommended 100 times over.

I should have used the hinge method, but didn't because it wasn't included in the instructions and this was my first time ever doing this so I forgot. Mine isn't centered perfectly and it's driving me slightly crazy, but it'll do for now as I can't see how the 1.5-2cm exposed can be scratched with the protector on acting as a spacer. I'll let this one take some wear and tear before swapping it out.

Poppyseed

Switch is BEGGING for a Monster Hunter Double Cross port. I really hope its announced soon. The portability and the accessibility of the Switch is so good that the Japanese (portable MH is like crack over there) will eat it up. C'mon Nintendo!!?

It gets announced and I personally know 217,881 people who will buy a Switch. Yep. Personally know them all.

The Argus

I should have used the hinge method, but didn't because it wasn't included in the instructions and this was my first time ever doing this so I forgot. Mine isn't centered perfectly and it's driving me slightly crazy, but it'll do for now as I can't see how the 1.5-2cm exposed can be scratched with the protector on acting as a spacer. I'll let this one take some wear and tear before swapping it out.

Almost 2cm? That's a big gap seeing as these protectors are really well fit to the raised bezel. It includes two, why not swap it out? I took my chances with the included removable lip installation as it just fit so snuggly without room to move around.

I installed in a steamy bathroom and used the included alcohol wipes even though I never touched the naked screen. Touched the middle and watched as the bubbles disappeared like it was magic. Gonna let it sit for a few hours before turning it on and applying heat.

emb

I've been using the Joycons in grip for a solid week. For the first time since Switch launch, I used a 360 controller and Gamecube controller. Those things feel weirdly gigantic now, lol.

Alchemist

When can we expect launch issues to be mostly resolved? I want to buy a Switch but the horror stories I keep hearing/seeing is putting me off.

ColdPizza

Banned
Almost 2cm? That's a big gap seeing as these protectors are really well fit to the raised bezel. It includes two, why not swap it out? I took my chances with the included removable lip installation as it just fit so snuggly without room to move around.

I installed in a steamy bathroom and used the included alcohol wipes even though I never touched the naked screen. Touched the middle and watched as the bubbles disappeared like it was magic. Gonna let it sit for a few hours before turning it on and applying heat.

I just measured officially. It's 1cm. It's livable. I don't think this thing is a perfect fit though. It's flush with the top and left of the edge of the bezel. So ideally it should have .5 cm on all four sides.

Used it with mine for the first time and I like it. Takes a lot of stress off of the placement.

Calm Mind

just got this smartphone stand in for 4 euros at aliexpress, and it work preaty good with the switch :p

IMG_20170307_182029.jpg

IMG_20170307_181756.jpg

IMG_20170307_181947.jpg

Does it come in black?

Kyzer

Banned
HOLY SHIT

I tried the pro controller for a few hours.

Didn't look like much, but then I tried it. Feels like a luxurious steering wheel, and the sticks are so smooth...definitely worth the money considering the features like being able to do motion aiming in zelda and amiibos and the USB C cable

SpeedNut

Anybody try the Zagg screen protectors? Can't tell if they're straight up glass or some hybrid, plus they're $30. I haven't even hooked up my dock, just straight up connected handheld mode in the house for about 6 hours of Zelda so far. I do know my dock is tilted so there's no way I'm even attempting a dock without getting that screen condom on. #practicesafeswitch

gdt

Am I missing something?

Is only 1 charging cable included? That's super inconvenient when it's hooked up behind my tv in the dock right now....

Indeed - I've never had much luck with applying screen protectors but amFilm worked like a champ on the first try. Didn't even have to use the shower method. Zero bubbles, four stars!

Wasp14

My Switch is currently set to be delivered tomorrow. The hype is real for me, however I'm crossing my fingers my unit comes issue free.

Moofers

I got the PDP case bundle today. It was $27 and came with a zipper case that holds games and has a mesh separator. Also a screen protector I couldn't get on right so I threw away, Nintendo branded earbuds I imagine are shit, and joycon grips/covers.

All in all I'm happy because the case is great.

kIdMuScLe

Is the switch the same size as nexus tablet 2013? I have a magnet case for it and it would be perfect for the switch when I get it eventually

alf717

Will the pro controller charge faster with the USB 3.0 port or is it the same as the two in the front?

Also what is the deal with the 6 hour charge for the controller? It only took 3 hours for mine to charge up.

I've been calling ALL OVER (I'm in NYC) and could not find anything anywhere; it's been so bad I'm looking at deep Jersey but still nada. I'm out for drinks around Times Square today with the lady and checked the BB nearby, the dude legit chuckled and was like "nah man, we don't got none" I'm like damn this might be the Wii all over in NYC!

We leave from drinks (~7pm) and I decide to quickly pop over at a B&H over on 44th and 5th and I ask one of the workers in the Games department and he's like "Sorry man, we're all out"......FuttBuck was DEPRESSED to say the least. I've had my Gorilla Glass and Zelda for over a week now.
BUT THEN!!! A SAVIOR EMERGES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Electronics Department Manager pops over and she says to me "Ehh, hold on a minute. I just sold one today, I think we have 1 Gray One left" Grey was my preferred color so this could work out!

All they had to do was scan the system a few times and if it came back okay that meant they had it. 2 minutes later and I'm walking out with this mothafucka right here!

SIDE NOTE:

Tested my JoyCons and seem to be great so far, no issues desyncing.

My dock is slightly bent in :'( I do have the Gorilla Glass but I'm still pretty anal about things like this. What's the best fix for this? What should I look for to put up at the top of the Dock on the inside? Anybody using like rubber stops or something used on furniture?

Vitacat

I been playing long hours with this system and it never crashes at all. *knocks on wood* Love it.
Same.

I'm one of the lucky ones, maybe, but I've had not a single issue. No desyncs, screen is perfect, wifi seems fine, controls are all good, no crashes or glitches, no scratches (but I used a screen protector right out of the box).

DjRalford

Same.

I'm one of the lucky ones, maybe, but I've had not a single issue. No desyncs, screen is perfect, wifi seems fine, controls are all good, no crashes or glitches, no scratches (but I used a screen protector right out of the box).

Yeah mine seems all good, except the kickstand, which is a bit less snug than my daughters when closed, but I can live with that.

Kudo

For people more familiar with recent Nintendo, I have few questions.

1. Can I add friends who do not own Switch yet but have Wii U? Do the systems share friend code.

2. If I buy Zelda Expansion Pass from eShop on my current account and Switch:
a. Will it only work on current Switch or the Switch I have my account on? And what is the limit to this?
b. Does it work with the physical version?

3. How often do they have sales and/or is there coupons ever? Should I wait or am I good to go to get the Expansion Pass now, seems like it already adds few chests to the game.

enbred

Banned
Has there been any tests to compare game load times between physical cart, internal memory and SD card?

I'm guessing SD card would be slowest, but I'm really curious if there is a difference in speed between internal memory and cart, and which one is faster.

How do I access the activity log?
There isn't one.

Crazyorloco

Has there been any tests to compare game load times between physical cart, internal memory and SD card?

I'm guessing SD card would be slowest, but I'm really curious if there is a difference in speed between internal memory and cart, and which one is faster.

There isn't one.

How do I access the activity log?

There is one. After one week of playing a game, click on your profile on the switch's home screen and view play activity. It'll show the amount of hours you've play each game.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/8/14854136/nintendo-switch-activity-log-surprise

For people more familiar with recent Nintendo, I have few questions.

1. Can I add friends who do not own Switch yet but have Wii U? Do the systems share friend code.

2. If I buy Zelda Expansion Pass from eShop on my current account and Switch:
a. Will it only work on current Switch or the Switch I have my account on? And what is the limit to this?
b. Does it work with the physical version?

3. How often do they have sales and/or is there coupons ever? Should I wait or am I good to go to get the Expansion Pass now, seems like it already adds few chests to the game.

1. Nope
2a: The Switch with your active profile since that way you get your eShop history and that would include the expansion pass.
2b: Yeah, why wouldn't it :eek:

3. No idea with the Switch. On Wii U/3DS, maybe every 3-4 months? I don't usually pay attention since their sales are rarely worth it. In the future you'll probably be able to use My Nintendo rewards to get some % off from some games, though.

Kudo

1. Nope
2a: The Switch with your active profile since that way you get your eShop history and that would include the expansion pass.
2b: Yeah, why wouldn't it :eek:

3. No idea with the Switch. On Wii U/3DS, maybe every 3-4 months? I don't usually pay attention since their sales are rarely worth it. In the future you'll probably be able to use My Nintendo rewards to get some % off from some games, though.

Thanks, guess I'll need to wait until my friends get it to make the experience little bit more social.
I assume the limit for active profile is 1 system?

Guess I'll get the expansion pass tomorrow, doubt the price is going down or anything and I'm interested in those extra chests..

jxN3

Doesn't it ruin the battery to always leave it charging? I know something like that happens with phones, right?

I've only used the Switch docked and when I'm not playing it's just sitting there in the dock in sleep mode. If everything is charged, and I'm done playing, should I take it out of the dock to keep the battery healthy?

Meesh

Switch is BEGGING for a Monster Hunter Double Cross port. I really hope its announced soon. The portability and the accessibility of the Switch is so good that the Japanese (portable MH is like crack over there) will eat it up. C'mon Nintendo!!?
Every time I read these comments about Mon Hun on Switch I get so damn excited. It's like a GAF confirmation of an eventual Capcom confirmation of a future announcement of Switch Capcom support!!!

clem84

Gold Member
Doesn't it ruin the battery to always leave it charging? I know something like that happens with phones, right?

I've only used the Switch docked and when I'm not playing it's just sitting there in the dock in sleep mode. If everything is charged, and I'm done playing, should I take it out of the dock to keep the battery healthy?

That's what I would do. What I know about cell phones tells me it's a good idea to unplug it when it's done charging. That's what I've been doing with my Note 3 for the past 3 years and the battery hasn't degraded in any noticeable way.

clem84

Gold Member
I hope this won't be considered "port begging". I actually think this is worth discussing.

I realize there is virtually no chance of this being announced in the near future due to the game coming out in 3-4 months, but is there a chance the FFXII remaster could be brought to the Switch eventually?

I just feel that RPGs feel right at home on portable systems. This game would be so awesome on the Switch. This got me thinking... The FF franchise is pretty multi-platform nowadays. However, the FFX remaster never appeared on competing consoles. Maybe it's some kind of deal they have with Sony for these games to be exclusives to Sony platforms? I'm guessing this has to do with the fact that the original games were exclusive to the PS2.

So IYO, is there a chance in hell this will make it to the Switch eventually?

btkadams

I hope we get different joy-cons in the future. I'd love a fighting game set of joy-cons, where the left one has a great d-pad and the right one has 2 rows of buttons, like 6 face buttons. That'd be cool.

I hope this won't be considered "port begging". I actually think this is worth discussing.

I realize there is virtually no chance of this being announced in the near future due to the game coming out in 3-4 months, but is there a chance the FFXII remaster could be brought to the Switch eventually?

I just feel that RPGs feel right at home on portable systems. This game would be so awesome on the Switch. This got me thinking... The FF franchise is pretty multi-platform nowadays. However, the FFX remaster never appeared on competing consoles. Maybe it's some kind of deal they have with Sony for these games to be exclusives to Sony platforms? I'm guessing this has to do with the fact that the original games were exclusive to the PS2.

So IYO, is there a chance in hell this will make it to the Switch eventually?

I don't think we'll see mainline FF games on handhelds, outside of mobile, again. Games like DQ and Bravely Default and the FF spinoffs like Explorers will always find a home there, but real Final Fantasy? I don't see it. Wasn't the last one to appear in 2007 for the DS? (Final Fantasy IV)

EDIT: Forgot about Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD for Vita (2013)

There's hope, I suppose.

So three times since launch my Switch hasn't recognized my Right Joycon even though it's attached. I have to disconnect it and physically re-sync it with the sync button and then it works fine. Has anyone had this? Does anyone know what causes this? I'm kind of concerned.

Meesh

What I'm kind of got a hankering for are some anime type games for Switch... maybe RPG??
Edit: about Final Fantasy, I think a Crystal Chronicles needs a sequel!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom