• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bumpkin

Is Nintendo in maintenance mode? Can't get my stability update and I cannot access the eShop. Anyone else having this issue?
I had the same issue and a Restart fixed it (hold Power for 3 seconds, go into Power Options). I'm hoping this system update irons out some of the Switch's WiFi wonkiness.

xJavonta

Banned
Trying to decide on my first game

I don't really want to buy Zelda, because it's $60 and I'd rather buy food right now instead. Also, I have Mass Effect to finish and have Uncharted 4 and TW3 from Gamefly that I haven't touched. And Persona 4 comes out next month. I'll be swamped with games for at least two months.

But I can't decide on what other games are worth it right now. I'd prefer to stay under $30 because I'm broke, but man, do I want Zelda.

Poppyseed

Any one else getting wild battery % changes?

My switch has been on charge all day in standby, it was 100% when I took it off and turned the system off, just turned it on a few hours later and it's showing 47%.

You're not the only one. The battery percentage is completely jacked on the Switch. Mine wouldn't charge past 90%, until I let the battery drain a bit and then charged it. Some people have reported battery draining to 1% in about 1 hour and 40 minutes of Zelda, and then being able to play 1 hour and 20 minutes at 1%.

It's a display bug, clearly, but jeez, Nintendo!

Poppyseed

I don't really want to buy Zelda, because it's $60 and I'd rather buy food right now instead. Also, I have Mass Effect to finish and have Uncharted 4 and TW3 from Gamefly that I haven't touched. And Persona 4 comes out next month. I'll be swamped with games for at least two months.

But I can't decide on what other games are worth it right now. I'd prefer to stay under $30 because I'm broke, but man, do I want Zelda.

Binding of Isaac. Do it. With GCU (if you have it, and in you're in the USA), it's $32 + tax.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I agree, this is a nice trickle of content. It's been a really high quality launch with no shovelware
other than 1-2-Switch.
The quality games/overall library ratio is very very high right now.

Another benefit is that games like Snake Pass this week and Graceful Explosion Machine next week get a chance in the spotlight. At $19.99 and $12.99 respectively, games like this might start looking real attractive to those of us that are wanting to fill up the Switch with as much as we can right now. Especially since I think these games will be pretty well-reviewed based on impressions I've heard so far.

No offense to the CODs and Battlefields of the world, but I'm glad games like these are getting some heightened visibility instead of having to contend with bigger third-party releases that typically fill out console launches. I own a PS4 Pro so I can get those there. I'd rather see these awesome looking indies getting the spotlight on a hot new platform.

PSFan

Binding of Isaac. Do it. With GCU (if you have it, and in you're in the USA), it's $32 + tax.

What kind of game is Binding of Isaac? Is it like the first LoZ or something? I noticed the instruction book was made to look like the original LoZ's book. And some other things too.

Buying a Switch now when you can't afford Zelda with it is crazy to me.

Dude you need to sort yourself out.
No game in the universe is more important than food. The thought shouldn't even be in your head.

Return your Switch. If you bought a Swift and are too broke to buy Zelda you need to sort out your priorities.

Buying a Switch when he has to choose between a game and eating is even crazier!

TheExodu5

Banned

Return your Switch. If you bought a Swift and are too broke to buy Zelda you need to sort out your priorities.

alf717

I had the same issue and a Restart fixed it (hold Power for 3 seconds, go into Power Options). I'm hoping this system update irons out some of the Switch's WiFi wonkiness.

Thanks, I did some digging and found that you may have to do this from time to time. I use Ethernet so it may be a connectivity thing. Wish you could reboot the Switch from the controller instead of going over to the dock but it is simple enough.

NimbusD

The worst thing about the eShop is how there's no way of seeing categories or everything on the store. Snipperclips got pushed out and I had to actually search it up to find it on the store.
Honestly is insane. It shouldn't take more than a day for some random Nintendo programmer to concoct a simple intermediate solution until whatever the hell we all assume they have planned takes shape. It's not like they have some complicated design to adhere to here.

Hero

I got it, like it quite a bit. It unfortunately doesn't make SL/SR into big buttons like the official strap does, but the general shape becomes much easier to hold so they're easier to use anyway.

Thanks for the info! I was a little afraid of that..wonder if they'll come out with a revision where there's SL/SR button exteriors like the straps.

Is there a way to connect with a LAN adapter for docked but automatically connect to my wifi when I Switch to undocked? Like a setting to remeber the wifi connection and auto-connect to it once it's separated from the LAN connection?

NimbusD

Is there a way to connect with a LAN adapter for docked but automatically connect to my wifi when I Switch to undocked? Like a setting to remeber the wifi connection and auto-connect to it once it's separated from the LAN connection?
Pretty sure that's already what it does.

TheExodu5

Banned
So I put the Ozrly screen protector on today.

I've never noticed the fan noise of the Switch until today. The fan is quite loud in Zelda. I'm not sure if it's just coincidence or if the system is running hotter with the screen protector. I'm at the Hateno Tower overlooking Hateno village. Maybe it's just a more demanding scene than I've experienced.

Anyone experience anything similar?

xJavonta

Banned
I already own it on PC and haven't put any time into that as is so I feel like I'd be blowing money at that point

Dude you need to sort yourself out.
No game in the universe is more important than food. The thought shouldn't even be in your head.

Buying a Switch when he has to choose between a game and eating is even crazier!

It was a gift from my parents for helping them out for the past few months with building their new house. Went back home every weekend to help them out so they said if I could find one, they'd buy it for me. They offered to buy a game with it but I felt guilty enough having them buy the console.

I can afford food, just not eating out if I got Zelda. And could obviously ask them for money for food too (college student), but I'd rather not since I feel a bit too old to do that.

Speely

Banned

I've never noticed the fan noise of the Switch until today. The fan is quite loud in Zelda. I'm not sure if it's just coincidence or if the system is running hotter with the screen protector. I'm at the Hateno Tower overlooking Hateno village. Maybe it's just a more demanding scene than I've experienced.

Hrm that's weird. I have yet to notice fan noise (with no screen protector, even in Hateno.)

DjRalford

I randomly get the fan going at high speed when i first start playing, all i do is press the home button, the fan dies down to whisper quiet again and then i open the game back up and its fine, it must be a fan profile bug.

TheExodu5

Banned
I randomly get the fan going at high speed when i first start playing, all i do is press the home button, the fan dies down to whisper quiet again and then i open the game back up and its fine, it must be a fan profile bug.

Yeah I tried to replicate it but couldn't get the fan to speed up again. I think you're right.

AllenShrz

My switch is starting to gather dust after finishing with Zelda...

MK needs to come out.

Quality gaming there, with a majority of local multiplayer games.

Replace Splatoon 2 demo by Snake Pass, add Graceful Explosion Machine next week, Wonderboy in 2 weeks. I'll still have not completed Zelda by then.

This launch may not suit your tastes, it's still far from being a joke. I love it, probably because I like arcade games just as much if not more than AAA games.

That would be the case IF those games have not been available in another platforms years ago or you don't have any other platform, therefore launch selection of games is a joke.

psychotron

Got my joycons back today from Nintendo. Holy shit they're so much better! I can play Zelda from my seating position with no issues. Finally!

Now my only gripe is that the joycons shift around a bit when you have them in the included grip. Feels odd pressing a trigger and feeling the joycon move a little. Wish I could fix that. Though I'm not minding playing with them separated.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Yeah I just got my Switch and first thing I did was play 30 mins of SK in portable mode. Joycons definitely weren't comfortable like that.

I'll try detaching them next time and see if it's better

Yeah, portable mode was fine with Zelda but really, really uncomfortable with SK. I basically tried using the Joycons separate just because I was out of options for portable mode at that moment and I gotta say: it may be my new favorite controller. It felt really good. I was skeptical at first with it too.

Got it today, played around 8 hours of Zelda

Early impressions. The tablet is great, everything you want from it really. Sleek, sturdy, nicely shaped, nice screen. The joycon controller dock thing is very comfortable. Shoulder buttons should be better. Would prefer concave, wider analog stick nubs but that's a matter of preference.

Screenshot function is very slick, but could do with a grouping function in the OS to upload multiple pictures at once. Also would appreciate it if I could post them to twitter as private tweets, just as a shorcut to save them to my PC without spamming people.

Now the only real issue. My left joycon arrived with no battery, and has run out of charge after just 8 hours. The right joycon on the other hand has the opposite issue, showing almost a full charge after the same amount of time, which tells me that its not a reliable reading. 8 hours is enough that I don't think I'll return it if the problem persists, but its pretty disappointing.

Overall I think Nintendo have surprised me and got it right on the hardware end, thought it seemed a bit shit before I got it tbh. The dock is as flimsy and cheap-looking as I expected, but the tablet is a tonne better than I thought it'd be.

atmuh

Now the only real issue. My left joycon arrived with no battery, and has run out of charge after just 8 hours. The right joycon on the other hand has the opposite issue, showing almost a full charge after the same amount of time, which tells me that its not a reliable reading. 8 hours is enough that I don't think I'll return it if the problem persists, but its pretty disappointing.
they should have identical battery life. if the problem persists, you should give nintendo a call and they'll take care of you

It was a gift from my parents for helping them out for the past few months with building their new house. Went back home every weekend to help them out so they said if I could find one, they'd buy it for me. They offered to buy a game with it but I felt guilty enough having them buy the console.

As a counterpoint to the BoI suggestions: Get Fast RMX if you like racing games even a little. It's very good, half the price of Binding of Isaac, and at least in my case it's catching my attention more (which is a shame, because bullethell roguelikes should be more up my alley than F-Zero style racers, but here we are). I'm not super big on futuristic racers, but this is definitely my favourite of the bunch so far.

Fast RMX is really, really good and really, really cheap. Best option unless racing games are utterly uninteresting to you.

Also, there's a free demo of Snipperclips, so you can have something to play even before buying a game.

Drewboy64

Fast and MK are very very different. But to each their own.

I was very much not thinking highly of Fast based on my own preconceptions but bought it because I had nothing to play while waiting for Zelda in the mail. And my goodness, it's great. I'm very not into most racing games too but this one is quality.

It's not F-Zero GX (nothing is), but it does come somewhat close and have its own distinct feel/appeal.

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised with how fun Fast is. I still am wondering if I'll stop playing it once MK8 comes out, though. They're different games, but not different enough that one will satisfy that racing game craving.

I find myself hesitating to play Fast sometimes because it can take a while for my brain to warm up to just how damn fast it is, haha

On another note, I really hope they release more puzzles for snipperclips

Thorzilla

Hi all! I asked a similar question in another thread but I'm sure I can get some more insight here.

So, long story short, I'm US bound this weekend (NYC actually) for 5 days and want to know what my odds are to find one in a store or perhaps buy online and have it sent to my hotel. I also know units are scarce so I want to be realistic with luggage space, lol.

Any help? Thanks in advance!

Bii

Hi all! I asked a similar question in another thread but I'm sure I can get some more insight here.

So, long story short, I'm US bound this weekend (NYC actually) for 5 days and want to know what my odds are to find one in a store or perhaps buy online and have it sent to my hotel. I also know units are scarce so I want to be realistic with luggage space, lol.

Any help? Thanks in advance!

You can always try getting one at the Nintendo NY store if you're there Thursday or Friday.

C8BG6scVUAA_frk.jpg:large

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
It finally arrived to me in the UK :) love everything about this physical release! Keep em coming Nicalis.

33574995101_1aab660085_c.jpg

Nice stuff :) I think the launch has been great even if Zelda has eaten up most of my gaming time. Got a growing back log (Shovel Knight, I am Setsuna, and Binding of Isaac have yet to be touched, Skylanders Imaginators, Fast RMX, Bomberman and Blaster master have had a couple hours a piece) and the games you mention and more keep on coming. I should stop buying them but need to show that software support. Will grab Snake Pass later this week.
Does that actually come with a cart or a digital download? Also where did you get it from? I saw it on Amazon for like 60 quid and I was like lol fuck off.

sirap

After sinking a few hours into Shovel Knight I feel glad that I bought it again for the Switch. Oddly enough it's the first game that made me appreciate the dock-->handheld-->dock feature of this thing and playing it in portable mode feels really good (Zelda on the other hand feels too cramped imo).

My only complaint is that Switch's face-buttons simply don't measure up to Vita's amazing d-pad. I really hope they release a L Joycon with a proper d-pad for all of us 8/16-bit lovers.

AllenShrz

After sinking a few hours into Shovel Knight I feel glad that I bought it again for the Switch. Oddly enough it's the first game that made me appreciate the dock-->handheld-->dock feature of this thing and playing it in portable mode feels really good (Zelda on the other hand feels too cramped imo).

My only complaint is that Switch's face-buttons simply don't measure up to Vita's amazing d-pad. I really hope they release a L Joycon with a proper d-pad for all of us 8/16-bit lovers.

This, and the - button closer to the stick. Every time I need to press it I need to release the stick and re accommodate my hand.

xJavonta

Banned
As a counterpoint to the BoI suggestions: Get Fast RMX if you like racing games even a little. It's very good, half the price of Binding of Isaac, and at least in my case it's catching my attention more (which is a shame, because bullethell roguelikes should be more up my alley than F-Zero style racers, but here we are). I'm not super big on futuristic racers, but this is definitely my favourite of the bunch so far.

Fast RMX is really, really good and really, really cheap. Best option unless racing games are utterly uninteresting to you.

Also, there's a free demo of Snipperclips, so you can have something to play even before buying a game.
Ended up finding a gift card I had lying around and used that to pay for most of BoW lol. Downloaded the Snipperclips demo too, could see myself buying it later on. Thank you!

I think the eshop needs an update. Even with only a dozen or so games, it needs better organization and some cool shopping music.
Agreed. It's crazy how I don't like ANY of the console's storefronts. PSN has the best this gen IMO about even that still needs work.

This is just super barebones. There's no genre sorter, no A-Z, and no additional views. I hope they'll fix it instead of just letting it stay as is

Majine

Banned
I think the eshop needs an update. Even with only a dozen or so games, it needs better organization and some cool shopping music.

I hope this is just a placeholder until they get a native version of the eShop in place.

One that is as fast and fluid as the News section.

Polari

Anyone here had a left joycon repaired in Aus/NZ? I get a range of 2-3 metres max on this thing, and even then it cuts out periodically. Hard to believe Nintendo could fuck something this basic up so badly.

Anyone here had a left joycon repaired in Aus/NZ? I get a range of 2-3 metres max on this thing, and even then it cuts out periodically. Hard to believe Nintendo could fuck something this basic up so badly.

By missing a manufacturing batch that did not contain the thing that prevents that. Contact them and send it in for repair, it's free.

correojon

Any recommendations on which SD card to get? I´d ideally preffer a big one to have all my digital games there. I intend to go mainly digital.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom