• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's everyones collection like so far?

For now, just

Breath of the Wild
Super Bomberman R
Snipperclips (digital)

Let's be real, though, I already have a backlog since all I'm playing is Zelda.

The Binding of Isaac and Fast RMX are on my radar, but I'm holding off on Fast RMX for a few months to see if Shinen wises up and puts out a physical version.

chekhonte

Physical:
C77ScRiXQAASdcK.jpg:large

(Japanese game is I am Setsuna, has a really awesome English option)

Digital:
Snake Pass
Blaster Master Zero
World of Goo
FAST RMX
Snipperclips

I'm actually having trouble keeping up with the Switch's releases.
I only have zelda, snipperclips and shovel knight treasure trove. I want 1, 2 switch but 40 bucks is way more than I'm willing to pay. I'm going to hold off on it.

I really wanna play Bomberman (and even 1 2 Switch) but that price is just too much :(

I own Zelda (physical) and Fast RMX. Have been thinking about getting Snipperclips and Snake Pass.

I wouldn't value either 1 2 Switch or Bomberman at what they're sold for but they are both fun games. Bomberman is my third most played Switch game (behind Binding of Isaac and Zelda) and it seems to be becoming pretty rare here in the UK, it's hard to tell if it will ever be cheap. 1 2 Switch is a brilliant party game, it's near worthless on your own but when playing it with both friends and family the room was full of laughter.

Highly suggest going for Snipperclips and Snake Pass! Snipperclips is best if you have someone else to play with and Snake Pass is a very unique and well designed Rare-esque puzzle platformer.

I saw people specifically point out that Qualcomm's Quick Charge was considered non standard and should be avoided. So much conflicting info floating around.

They're probably referring to the cable running hot even if a device is not hooked up. imo, the risk there is incredibly low unless you are using an ultra-shitty cable, but is worth knowing about. If eliminating risk is the main concern then you should really only use Nintendo's official accessories, but even then the possibility of manufacturing defect still exists so there is no such thing as risk free.

robotrock

Banned
Anyone played theirs in the bath yet? Played my 3ds and vita in the bath for years and the heat didn't affect them at all.

So, I don't know how accurate this is with people doing the steamy shower method and whatever ( I don't actually know what that is other than the name), but the Switch has those vents. Electronics and steam, especially if they have some holes in it, can be a pretty big no no.

Mr. Hyde

Can I use my Google pixel charger on this since it's USB c?

Edit: it seems people are spending 35 to buy the pixel charger specifically to charge the switch relatively fast. I guess I'm in luck.

They're probably referring to the cable running hot even if a device is not hooked up. imo, the risk there is incredibly low unless you are using an ultra-shitty cable, but is worth knowing about. If eliminating risk is the main concern then you should really only use Nintendo's official accessories, but even then the possibility of manufacturing defect still exists so there is no such thing as risk free.

I think it's because Benson Leung made a post saying it's not compliant which is how come people are saying you shouldn't:

https://plus.google.com/+BensonLeung/posts/cEvVQLXhyRX

Poppyseed

Physical:

Digital:
Snake Pass
Blaster Master Zero
World of Goo
FAST RMX
Snipperclips

My collection is all digital. I decided what with no save data being on the cartridges, there's zero benefit to physical if I'm not trading in games (which I'm not, and they're generally worthless by the time I WOULD want to), and if in the future Switch iterations there's backward compatibility, I strangely feel safer going digital.

japtor

So anyway to get wireless audio out of the Switch? Like there is no way to get audio out through a USB dongle, sort of like how the PS4 Gold and such headsets work? I had a whole Turtlebeach wireless headphone setup, Used it for Wii and Playstation, where it wired out to a wireless receiver. But it was too many wires and not a lot of space anymore on my entertainment center, so I switched to Golds.
Looking for the cheapest easiest solution, with minimal clutter for for wireless audio.

Maybe, do wireless dongles through headphone jacks exists?
Yeah bluetooth dongles are very common, receivers and transmitters and ones that can do both. Not sure what ones are recommended but some people have used them on the Switch.

I've been really tempted to get one but am hoping for an eventual update to the Switch software itself, it seems like all the hardware is there to support it.
Can anyone recommend a power adapter(no cable needed) for switch charging? Preferably one that is able to charge the system while playing. But it isn't a deal breaker for me.
Easy answer is the official one, at $30 it's not too bad price wise and is pretty much the best deal for the power it outputs (out of like, any USB-C charger). Otherwise stuff that advertises 5V/2.4A should do the trick if you want a smaller plug/brick, but will charge slower.
So where do you people take your Switch to play it portable? I haven't owned a handheld since the Gameboy. My commute and my lunch break are too short to make bringing it worth it. Where do you guys go to play remotely? Genuinely interested in some good ideas. The only place I play it right now is my bed...
There's always the bathroom.

Or while watching TV, in a car, or at other people's places. Is your commute or lunch too short or is it more the matter of what game you're playing? Haven't bothered playing Zelda much while out but have played a decent amount of Puyo Puyo Tetris (well the demo version for now).
I saw people specifically point out that Qualcomm's Quick Charge was considered non standard and should be avoided. So much conflicting info floating around.
Well it violates USB-C, but QC should be smart enough (or not dumb enough) to not turn on the higher power modes when it doesn't sense QC capable on the other end. But if shit goes wrong, well, shit can go wrong.

QC4 does support USB-PD and should have stuff coming out soonish I figure. Anker or one of those companies announced a new line of USB-PD stuff coming, wouldn't be surprised if they do QC4.

My collection is all digital. I decided what with no save data being on the cartridges, there's zero benefit to physical if I'm not trading in games (which I'm not, and they're generally worthless by the time I WOULD want to), and if in the future Switch iterations there's backward compatibility, I strangely feel safer going digital.

Do you check out Nintendo games on the second hand market? The value rarely drops by much.

Poppyseed

Do you check out Nintendo games on the second hand market? The value rarely drops by much.

Absolutely I do. And it's not worth it to me to deal with the hassle of cartridges. There are so many time where I may not bother playing a game because I can't be bothered to mess with cartridges.

Yes, I'm that lazy. All my games a button press away is simply the best.

It has been one week now.... And I'm shocked that Nintendo released this console.

Don't get me wrong, it's great in lots of places, designs and concepts but the actual quality of this product behind the Nintendo Brand it's just bad.

But let's start from the beginning. The box is amazing. I felt something really special seeing this for the first time. With the PS4 (and Pro) I just plugged everything so quickly and in 5 minutes was playing online some Battlefield 4.

I was in love, touching the Joy Cons for the first time. Seeing the screen size. The Joy Con Grip. Everything was very pleasing to see.

I think I spend 1 hour seeing everything and attaching every possible thing.

Then.... It started to get bad. Turned the console and BAM.... WiFi not working properly. Even facing the router under half meter, WiFi couldn't find my Wireless network.

Ok.... Let's start without updating the console. The home screen is very close to what Sony did with the PS4. Clean, fast, simple. Great choice.

Inserted the Zelda cartridge (tasted before, it's really bad). Then played a bit on portable. The screen is amazing, sadly the performance wasn't that great. The game lacks a lot of things I was expecting like: native resolution (it does scales a lot, and it's very perceptible for me, the grass looks terrible without aliasing and low resolution), stable framerate, AF, details on the distance, lots of pop in (a FUCKING tree popped in my face once out of nowhere, was climbing without the tree appear).

But ok, the game still is amazing.

Then I placed the game on the dock. My controller doesn't work in ANY POSITION. I placed the dock on the same place as my PS4, under the TV, a bit lower then my Bed. Had to place the dock in front of my TV and even there, it still fails to read the input from the left Joy Con while I'm lied in my bed.

Really annoying. I can only play perfectly if I'm sit on my bed. That's not what I want.

Played a little more on portable, but the main battery doesn't really do much.

And the worse.... There are only FOUR TITLES WITH A RELEASE DATE. FOUR!!!!!

I'm having a blast with Zelda, really, amazing game. But, I want to love more my console. But I can't, there are so many problems. It feels like a FUCKING beta console. And Nintendo is acting like it's fine. We'll do the right thing.

I'm afraid.... This console won't do anything for me after Zelda.

I wish Nintendo did something classy and powerful. Something that I could bring my Destiny, Overwatch (yes, I'm stupid bringing Multiplayer games, but I like them), Mass Effect, Star Wars Battlefront. But none of the engines support Switch, and I doubt it will someday.

I really want to love the Switch. The concept and design are beyond my expectations, the execution so awful.

Nintendo.... Do something.

Alchemy

I just got my Switch, right now I have:

Physical:
Binding of Isaac

Digital:
Fast RMX
Bomberman
Snipperclips
Blaster Master Zero

Probably getting I Am Setsuna soon as well. As far as Zelda goes I got it at launch for the Wii U :x

You can email Reggie at this webzone so he can send you a new Switch with everything you ever wanted in life.
I live in Brazil. Nintendo closed every support Center and partnerships here.

Bought the console from a guy who went to Spain.

Don't have the original receipt.

I'm screwed.

Edit: Also.... Lose my progress (50 Shrines, 60 Korok Seeds, 1 Beast, Master Sword, 2 pieces of Guardian Armor and lots of food that took forever to make)

Does Nintendo 100% transfer save files when sending in a switch. My switch is bent pretty bad (not the dock) and it's really bugging me but don't wanna lose my 130 hours in Zelda.

I think it's because Benson Leung made a post saying it's not compliant which is how come people are saying you shouldn't:

https://plus.google.com/+BensonLeung/posts/cEvVQLXhyRX

This outlines why PD and QC can't co-exist on a single charger port. The USB IF will not consider it spec compliant because it will cause confusion. A good decision I agree with. Not that there is anything necessarily wrong with plugging a USB-C compliant device into a QC charger.

hongcha

I bought a Switch a few days ago. I was going to wait until later, but curiosity got the better of me. I love the PS Vita (I have two!) and the Switch feels like an evolution of it. I am surprised at how immersive the 6.2" screen makes portable gaming.

My Switch has had no problems. Screen is great with no dead or stuck pixels. Dock works fine and doesn't scratch the screen; it's not bent or anything. Joy cons work without issue.

Maybe mine is from a newer batch that had the launch issues ironed out?

The only thing I don't dig about it is it gets quite warm on the back right during play. Sometimes it gets a bit uncomfortably warm. I know there's a fan in there but so far I haven't heard it turn on. Maybe it has to get REALLY hot for it to turn on.

I also wish you could set separate system languages for different users. I'd like to have the console set to English for my USA account, and Japanese for my JP account, that way I can play the games I buy from those regions in their respective languages. As it is, I have it set to English, and if I want to play a Japanese game in Japanese (since many also have English text), I have to change the system language to Japanese, which requires a reset. Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update.

Peltz

Physical:

Digital:
Snake Pass
Blaster Master Zero
World of Goo
FAST RMX
Snipperclips

Physical:

Zelda, Binding of Isaac Afterbirth, I-2-Switch,

Digital:

World of Goo, Fast Racing RMX, Snipperclips

Hardware:

Neon Switch, extra pair of joy cons in grey, Pro Controller

Cases:

Hybrid Case, RDS travel case

Right now, I'm holding off on the Neo Geo roms because I already own a lot of them in some form or another.

Experien

Physical:

Digital:
Snake Pass
Blaster Master Zero
World of Goo
FAST RMX
Snipperclips

Setsuna have a cool reversible cover?

SiDCrAzY

Physical:

Digital:
Snake Pass
Blaster Master Zero
World of Goo
FAST RMX
Snipperclips

Physical:
LOZ: BoTW
Bomberman(in the process of returning to Amazon though)

Digital:
Binding of Isaac
Blaster Master
Snake Pass
Shovel Knight Treasure Trove
World of Goo

Due to a full day where I thought I lost my Breath of the Wild card, I've tentatively decided to go all digital from now on, so only that and Isaac are physical in the forthcoming list. Well, that and the accessories.

In chronological order:

Zelda - I was not a 3D Zelda fan and got this only because Isaac got delayed from launch day after I preordered it along with the system. Somehow, I'm 175 hours in. It's amazing how well playing the game levels you up instead of your character. I now look forward to blood moons so I can stalk Guardians in the high grass. I may one day try the "Take down a stalker entirely with twigs" challenge, probably in that marshy area across the river from Tarry Town.

Fast RMX - Really really great. I was worried that I'd plop down the cash and play it for a few minutes. The low price sealed the deal for me, but this has the polish and replayability of a full-priced title. I sincerely hope that they're making bank on this one.

Cable Matters A to C cable
RAVPower C to C cable
Anker Powerport+ 5 - This along with the cables and my Anker Powercore 10000 all do an excellent job of charging the system. The only disappointment has been my car charger, which just doesn't have the juice to feed the Switch.

Binding of Isaac - This was the game that I bought the system for, so it's a bit of a shame that it hasn't clicked for me yet. I really like roguelikes (FTL was my belated GOTY last year, and I've played Nethack for a considerable span of time every year for decades now), and I really liked twin stick shooters like SmashTV and Robotron, but this one hasn't yet transcended "seems pretty neat".

amFilm screen protector - Works pretty well, probably the only screen protector I've ever liked. Then again, I normally have cheap devices that I don't care about and hence don't use that sort of protection.

Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove - I backed this but never got around to grabbing my Wii U key for it, so it's a kind of odd case of double dipping before single playing. I don't mind having just gotten it, as I'm pretty sure I'll like it. And it's covered by the last dregs of an old $50 Wii U eshop credit that came over with my Nintendo account.

Upcoming purchases:

Runner 3 - A "killer app" for me. Runner 2 was one of my favourite surprises early last year when I started playing around with Steam games
LEGO City Undercover
Super Mario Odyssey
Flipping Death

Thinking about:

Sonic Mania
Blaster Master Zero
Snake Pass
Mr. Shifty
Stardew Valley
SteamWorld Dig 2
Celeste
Rayman Legends: Definitive Edition
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Rogue Trooper Redux
Pokémon Stars/Eclipse/whatever
Escapists 2

Trojan

Physical:

Digital:
Snake Pass
Blaster Master Zero
World of Goo
FAST RMX
Snipperclips

JUST ZELDA BABY

Yazuka

Physical: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Super Bomberman R. And I'm waiting for my copies of I am Setsuna & Binding of Isaac to arrive.

Digital: SnipperClips, Shovel Knight Treasure Trove and BlasterMaster Zero.

Seik

Banned

Physical:

Exactly the same but without 1-2 Switch!

And Snipperclips digital.

I'm so temped by Blaster Master or Snake Pass...but I'm afraid one would come out in physical form at some point, I think Limited Run Games expect a Switch game eventually?

Casanova

Has anyone gotten the gray joycon's instead of the neon's and not immediately regret their choice?? I had no other choice. It was the only one available near me. I just need to know that they have actual potential to look decent over the neon's. Give me hope please.

louiedog

Has anyone gotten the gray joycon's instead of the neon's and not immediately regret their choice?? I had no other choice. It was the only one available near me. I just need to know that they have actual potential to look decent over the neon's. Give me hope please.

They're small and you're barely going to see them while you're playing. In a month you won't even care. If you need a second set in the future get neon.

Physical:

Digital:
Snake Pass
Blaster Master Zero
World of Goo
FAST RMX
Snipperclips

Physical: Binding of Issac, Zelda, Super Bomberman R
Digital: Blaster Master Zero, Waku Waku 7, Shovel Knight Treasure Trove.

For physical, I picked up Breath of the Wild SE and Binding of Isaac. Digital, I got Shovel Knight Treasure Trove, FAST RMX, and Snipperclips.

For only being the first month, I'm really enjoying the games that are already on the Switch. Hopefully it'll keep on rolling.

mojo2

Neo Member
Yeah, I'm bad at it also. I have 3 cats, a dog and we heat the house with a wood stove. Dust and fur all over the place. I have plastic protector on mine until I can think of a place where I can apply my glass ones with out dust.

Two kids and a fireplace. I think I'll put the second one on in sauna. Cold sauna of course. First one was in bathroom.

Games:

Physical -

Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Digital -

Disgaea 5, Snake Pass, Fast RMX, Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove, VOEZ

Hardware: Pro Controller, Switch Console w/ gray joycons, 200GB microsd

Marvie_3

Banned
Finally told myself I needed to take a break from Zelda and play something else on my Switch the last couple days. Been going through Shovel Knight again instead.

sirap

Grey looks great in real-life and makes the entire device look really slick in portable mode. Plus you always have the option of respraying it which is what I did to my spare Joy Cons. Now my Switch looks like the OG GBA.

forrest

formerly nacire
Just Zelda for me and I got the physical version.

Trying to decide between Blaster Master, Shovel Knight, RMX and Binding of Isaac...

Any of those 4 stand out as the one to get?

NimbusD

Physical:

Digital:
Snake Pass
Blaster Master Zero
World of Goo
FAST RMX
Snipperclips

Ugh I should have got the physical Japanese I am setsuna when it released. Now amazon no doesn't sell it to us and the ones I can find are stupid expensive. So I broke down and bought the digital version. Meh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom