• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyr

So I impulse bought a switch yesterday. Couldn't take the zelda hype anymore :p

So far I'm very pleased with the device.

When I was downloading zelda tho, I noticed that my download speeds were very slow. I had only 2 wifi bars being in the same room with the router.

Even when I brought the switch directly next to the router speeds barely improved and it was jumping between 2-3 bars.

When I tested the internet connection through the switch menue it showed me a down speed of 12mbit/s.
I got a 50mbit connection.
Speeds with all other wifi devices are fine btw (ps4, ipad, s7)

Does anybody have an idea what could be the issue?

correojon

Sandisk 128GB is a nice size. I went for a 64GB as I want to have a mixture of game cards and digital.

That may be a bit too small for what I want :S I think I´ll get the SanDisk Ultra Android 200 GB (It´s almost the same price as the 128GB one) and maybe get a bigger one down the road if prices fall.

Majora

When I was downloading zelda tho, I noticed that my download speeds were very slow. I had only 2 wifi bars being in the same room with the router.

Even when I brought the switch directly next to the router speeds barely improved and it was jumping between 2-3 bars.

When I tested the internet connection through the switch menue it showed me a down speed of 12mbit/s.

It has terrible WiFi, I've seen tons of people complain about the WiFi performance when docked. I even bought a wireless booster and put it literally right next to the Switch and it was still getting half the download speed of my PS4 which was further away. It was still only 2 bars too! I can only get 3 bars if I undock it and hold it literally right next to the router. I've yet to talk to anyone who can get 3 bars on the thing in normal use.

It seems to be worse docked than undocked (can the dock really be causing that much interference?!), but the only way I got speeds to match all my other devices was to use some powerlink adapters and the LAN adapter.

Craft

I believe it's the same for everyone I think the wireless is just bad, try and do the download wired if you can.
I'm on a 200mbit connection and got the following results:
Wireless - 15mbit download
Wired - 35mbit download

I get 2 bars in the same room as the router too.

PSFan

I believe it's the same for everyone I think the wireless is just bad, try and do the download wired if you can.
I'm on a 200mbit connection and got the following results:
Wireless - 15mbit download
Wired - 35mbit download

I get 2 bars in the same room as the router too.

I don't think it's the same for everyone. My room with the Switch is on the other side of the house from the router and I have no issues. Downloads are fine and it always connects with at least 2 bars. I played the Splatoon thing last weekend with no issues whatsoever too.

Jake2by4

I don't think it's the same for everyone. My room with the Switch is on the other side of the house from the router and I have no issues. Downloads are fine and it always connects with at least 2 bars. I played the Splatoon thing last weekend with no issues whatsoever too.

Yea my Switch has shown zero bars with my 5ghz but yet I'm able to download updates and the zelda patch in mere seconds.

That may be a bit too small for what I want :S I think I´ll get the SanDisk Ultra Android 200 GB (It´s almost the same price as the 128GB one) and maybe get a bigger one down the road if prices fall.

yes that 256GB is sweet just a bit rich for me. Looks like the switch support upto 2TB SD cards for when they become available.

Samsung 256GB EVO+ Micro SD

So beat buy has the gray variant, I'm here right now......But I want the red and blue joycons version.......They have the red and blue in stock on their own, but I don't think I'll need 4 joycons. Do I buy it anyways or hold off?

Edit:I fucking bought it, ugh

Iced

So beat buy has the gray variant, I'm here right now......But I want the red and blue joycons version.......They have the red and blue in stock on their own, but I don't think I'll need 4 joycons. Do I buy it anyways or hold off?

Keep in mind that the neons being sold separate are mirrored: left joycon is red, and right joycon is blue.

It doesn't look like any retailer in the US got neon consoles after launch.

tquinta

Neo Member
I'm one of those people that think that having multiple docks is a great idea. Currently my Switch is hooked to a smaller TV in a gaming room. Yesterday my wife had some friends over (non gamers) and we played some Snipperclips on the living room TV and had a blast. So having a dock there for the occasianal multiplayer experience would be cool, specially with upcoming games like Mario Kart and Arms.
I'm traveling from South America to USA next week, and I don't seem to be able to get an extra dock anywhere other than Nintendo official store (which won't accept foreign credit cards)
Can I get one anywhere at retail? Do you know any other place I can try to get one online?
Thanks!

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

Sell the gray pair that came with the system and pick up a pair of either red or a pair of blue, and then later on pick up a second pair of whichever you didn't buy the first go-round.

That way you can have any combination of colors you like. You'll likely want 4 Joycons by the time Mario Party rolls around anyway.

TheExodu5

Banned
If you want a full blue and full red set and you have a Neon Switch, you just need to buy the Neon joycons since they're alternating.

If you don't care about having a full red or full blue set with the grey switch, then go ahead and get the Neon joycons. Otherwise, you'd need to buy the full blue and full red sets.

I really wanted the Neon Switch but settled for grey. Now that I bought a Neon joycon pair, I'm kind of glad. The grey feels a bit more at home in my entertainment unit.

I'm still undecided as to whether to keep thr neons or not.

majik13

So anyway to get wireless audio out of the Switch? Like there is no way to get audio out through a USB dongle, sort of like how the PS4 Gold and such headsets work? I had a whole Turtlebeach wireless headphone setup, Used it for Wii and Playstation, where it wired out to a wireless receiver. But it was too many wires and not a lot of space anymore on my entertainment center, so I switched to Golds.
Looking for the cheapest easiest solution, with minimal clutter for for wireless audio.

Maybe, do wireless dongles through headphone jacks exists?

chekhonte

Don't do it.

Your S7 adapter is a quick charge adapter. By all accounts, you're not supposed to mix Quick Charge with USB-C for charging.

I thought quick charge was supposed to be adaptive. If it's not paired with a qualcomm chip equipped device then it defaults to a low charging rate. Does USB C charge on different pins or something?

RootCause

Can anyone recommend a power adapter(no cable needed) for switch charging? Preferably one that is able to charge the system while playing. But it isn't a deal breaker for me.

What games and accessories are must haves?

Games:
Zelda
Binding of Isaac

Accessories:
-The Hori stand is great
-amFILM screen protector is too :Link

I'm going against the grain and think the Pro Controller isn't worth its asking price and the joycons are perfectly fine (if they weren't, the inherit value proposition for the system to begin with wasn't there).

Fired my Switch up for the first time today. Just setting up and playing around, saving starting Zelda until the weekend when I can fully commit and relax. But very impressed with it. Feels solid, the joycons don't feel quite as awkward individually as I feared, pro controller is awesome (although years and years of PlayStation/western games has me hitting B to confirm things). Tested the left joycon by using the input calibration and it only dropped when it was behind my back and I had basically left the room like 6 metres away :p
When I ordered I didn't think I would take it out of the dock much but now it's here it may be a different story.

and the price can't be beat
Actually going by Amazon prices it's tied for most expensive Switch tempered glass solution. There's one that's even $6 for a two-pack and has mostly good reviews. I doubt there's a big difference among them, but then how many of us have experience with more than one kind?

mojo2

Neo Member
c0d6e824cf.jpg

Yes. That's all under the amfilm screen protector.
I didn't know I needed a fucking laboratory environment.

sora87

Anyone played theirs in the bath yet? Played my 3ds and vita in the bath for years and the heat didn't affect them at all.

So where do you people take your Switch to play it portable? I haven't owned a handheld since the Gameboy. My commute and my lunch break are too short to make bringing it worth it. Where do you guys go to play remotely? Genuinely interested in some good ideas. The only place I play it right now is my bed...

I did mine in my bathroom while running a hot shower to get it steamy. Followed the steps as directed, used the hinge method, and it's damn near flawless. I can spot 1 single speck of dust only with the screen off that I must of missed. Fairly happy with the screen protector!

mojo2

Neo Member
I did mine in my bathroom while running a hot shower to get it steamy. Followed the steps as directed, used the hinge method, and it's damn near flawless. I can spot 1 single speck of dust only with the screen off that I must of missed. Fairly happy with the screen protector!

Yeah I did that too. Put the air conditioning off an hour before the operation. I fucked around few seconds after I removed the first film so it sucked some dust right there.
I guess it's better than nothing.
Hinge method rocks, couldn't get this thing on without it.

You don't. You just did a sloppy job.

Ah, thanks for the info.

Getting back to the powering the dock with a non-official plug thing. Pretty much everything recommended by Benson/Nathan K that does 15v+ is sold out except for this plug by iVoler. Ordered it so will report back with results. I am sure it will fast charge the Switch no problem, I am mostly curious if the dock will shut it down or not.

Anyone who has that Anker A2053111 plug that was popular wants to give it a shot I'd be interested in the results.

Don't do it.

Your S7 adapter is a quick charge adapter. By all accounts, you're not supposed to mix Quick Charge with USB-C for charging.

QC chargers are fine for the Switch. As long as they are compliant they will default to 5v and just charge it slower. It is the non-standard proprietary fast chargers that are dangerous like the Nexus 5X and should only be used with their respective device.

What's everyones collection like so far?

Physical:
C77ScRiXQAASdcK.jpg:large

(Japanese game is I am Setsuna, has a really awesome English option)

Digital:
Snake Pass
Blaster Master Zero
World of Goo
FAST RMX
Snipperclips

I'm actually having trouble keeping up with the Switch's releases.

Yeah I did that too. Put the air conditioning off an hour before the operation. I fucked around few seconds after I removed the first film so it sucked some dust right there.
I guess it's better than nothing.

look just make sure there's no dust in the area, wipe down your screen, don't wear long sleeves, apply it. I did mine on a dining room counter.

Tubie

What's everyones collection like so far?

Physical:
C77ScRiXQAASdcK.jpg:large

(Japanese game is I am Setsuna, has a really awesome English option)

Digital:
Snake Pass
Blaster Master Zero
World of Goo
FAST RMX
Snipperclips

I'm actually having trouble keeping up with the Switch's releases.

I really wanna play Bomberman (and even 1 2 Switch) but that price is just too much :(

I own Zelda (physical) and Fast RMX. Have been thinking about getting Snipperclips and Snake Pass.

Getting back to the powering the dock with a non-official plug thing. Pretty much everything recommended by Benson/Nathan K that does 15v+ is sold out except for this plug by iVoler. Ordered it so will report back with results. I am sure it will fast charge the Switch no problem, I am mostly curious if the dock will shut it down or not.

Anyone who has that Anker A2053111 plug that was popular wants to give it a shot I'd be interested in the results.

QC chargers are fine for the Switch. As long as they are compliant they will default to 5v and just charge it slower. It is the non-standard proprietary fast chargers that are dangerous like the Nexus 5X and should only be used with their respective device.

I saw people specifically point out that Qualcomm's Quick Charge was considered non standard and should be avoided. So much conflicting info floating around.

chekhonte

Yeah, I'm bad at it also. I have 3 cats, a dog and we heat the house with a wood stove. Dust and fur all over the place. I have plastic protector on mine until I can think of a place where I can apply my glass ones with out dust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom