• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alchemy

So is there any reason to make a PAL eshop account? Japanese makes sense since theres typically exclusive stuff released there (DQM remakes make me weep), but I dunno if I've ever seen a PAL exclusive. Any ideas?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
What's everyones collection like so far?
fUxaffE.jpg
Next week, Giant Explosion Machine, then Wonderboy :)

mojo2

Neo Member
Two kids and a fireplace. I think I'll put the second one on in sauna. Cold sauna of course. First one was in bathroom.

Pulled it off in sauna with humidifier running. Almost nailed it. One tiny dust particle, good enough.

I guess it's just humidity, humidity, humidity. And hinge.

Physical: Breath of the Wild
Digital: Snipperclips

That's all I need right now, since 1) I just spent a ton of money on this thing when factoring in all the accessories + Pro controller, and 2) it's refreshing to me to know I have one large game to focus on. I have been feeling overwhelmed by my PC+PS4+PS3+PSVita collection, and always am bouncing around between different games and not feeling like I'm making any progress in any of them.

Snipperclips has been a ton of fun with family members and friends alike. I've been able to play it with people in places I would have never thought of before. It really does get people talking, and it feels good to be able to share a fun, new experience with people who don't normally play games.

I figure I'll be close to finishing my first playthrough of Breath of the Wild by the time Mario Kart comes out, which will be my next game. The big delimma is if I should get it physically or digitally. Even though it'll be more expensive, I'm leaning towards digital since I'll then be able to quickly jump into some multiplayer in between other games that release through the year.

SMD

Can anyone recommend an up to date list of physical Switch games released and on the horizon? I know the region specific thread exists but I'd love to know if Shovel Knight, Yooka Laylee and Wonder Boy are ever getting retail releases before going for digital.

jonno394

Can anyone recommend an up to date list of physical Switch games released and on the horizon? I know the region specific thread exists but I'd love to know if Shovel Knight, Yooka Laylee and Wonder Boy are ever getting retail releases before going for digital.

All three are no at the moment. Shovel Knight is possible once all campaigns are done, so next year at the earliest. Y-L has a good chance of happening imo.

Finally got my Switch yesterday and really enjoying Zelda so far, was playing docked last night but taking it with me to work today.

Applied my Orzly screen protector as soon as I unboxed it and it couldn't have gone better (haven't used a screen protector for years).

Used the hinge method and it went on without a single air bubble, aligned perfectly and not a spec of dust.

Really excited to play some handheld at lunch today.

mozfan12

Banned
Been trying to be patient and see if there will be a reprint or restock for I am Setsuna at Play Asia or any of the other import stores. Still can't digest paying 40 dollars for a digital game even in this day and age. Plus I'm having a bit of a collection kick with the Switch.

jts

...hate me...
Physical:
Zelda

Digital:
1-2 Switch
Fast RMX

Bonus:
Pro Controller

Soon:
Snipperclips
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

kizmah

Physical: Zelda (all I need right now)

Digital: Snipperclips (short bursts of co-op with my gf)

Acc: Pro controller (amazing)

Will get soon: Snake Pass, MK8 Deluxe (even though I have in on Wii U)

delaneya

I am looking fwd to Mario kart on the go. I will only buy digital if its a lot cheaper than physical or i cannot get it physical .

BUT today am going to have to phone Nintendo UK as my right joy con will not charge.

anyone know how long a repair turnaround is?

Little annoyed as have yet to play Zelda as my son hogged the machine.

XaosWolf

Got some questions in case GAF has any answers:

1) I've got the Orzly screen protector on but when it's put in the case (I've got the Sheikah slate one) it comes out with weirdly stubborn smudges on the screen.
They rub off but it takes longer than it would if it was just greasy fingerprints. Anyone else seen this or know what might be causing it?

2) Does anyone know of any good places to import Binding of Isaac physical to the UK?
Because I don't trust Nicalis with anything regarding European releases. =/

Genio88

So far i've only bought 3 games, all digitals: Zelda, Fast RMX and Metal Slug 3, i tried Snipperclips demo but being mostly local multiplayer i wouldn't play much of that, same for 1 2 Switch which is also bad in everyway to me, i also have the Dragon Quest demo, which runs like shit, and the Puyo puyo Tetris one, which looks good but i cannot win a match vs com...don't like Snake Pass either, so my next game will be Mario Kart 8

Craft

Got some questions in case GAF has any answers:

2) Does anyone know of any good places to import Binding of Isaac physical to the UK?
Because I don't trust Nicalis with anything regarding European releases. =/

Amazon US is pretty good, if you sign up to the one month free trial of prime you'll get an addtional 20% off the price.
I believe the 20% discount is only for pre-orders and two weeks after release so you'll only have today and tomorrow to get it discounted.
They give an estimate of fees & shipping on listing.
Just don't forget to cancel prime as soon as the game has been shipped.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N21YHC5/?tag=neogaf0e-20

In total it'll cost you around $45 ~= £36/37

I got Bomberman from them at release and it took about 5 days to get to me.

Physical: Zelda BotW & 1-2 Switch

Digital: Shovel Knight TT, Fast RMX, Blaster Master Zero, Metal Slug 3

Acc: Nintendo Case, Pro Controller, Extra Pair of neon Joycons (got them for free)

Question GAF, my switch is being shipped this week through gamestop and i'm excited since i'll be traveling soon and am planning to bring my switch along with me!

I wanted to know though: Can you use the joy con grip with tabletop mode? I want to be able to play Zelda comfortably on my airplane rides. lol

XaosWolf

Amazon US is pretty good, if you sign up to the one month free trial of prime you'll get an addtional 20% off the price.
I believe the 20% discount is only for pre-orders and two weeks after release so you'll only have today and tomorrow to get it discounted.
They give an estimate of fees & shipping on listing.
Just don't forget to cancel prime as soon as the game has been shipped.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N21YHC5/?tag=neogaf0e-20

In total it'll cost you around $45 ~= £36/37

I got Bomberman from them at release and it took about 5 days to get to me.

1-3 weeks is a little vague, Amazon. But I actually have the digital version anyways so will go with this with Prime discount.

Ta.

Mandelbo

Question GAF, my switch is being shipped this week through gamestop and i'm excited since i'll be traveling soon and am planning to bring my switch along with me!

I wanted to know though: Can you use the joy con grip with tabletop mode? I want to be able to play Zelda comfortably on my airplane rides. lol

You can, the grip's literally just a plastic shell that holds the joycons together.

Can you set the language (text) of Disgaea from the menus or do you hae to change the systems settings ? I want to play in English, the translation in my language is terrible.

Sh0k

Physical: Zelda BOTW, The Binding of Isaac

Digital: Fast RMX, Snake Pass, Snipperclips, World of Goo, Shock Troopers, Metal Slug 3, NAM 1975, Turf Masters

Accesories: Nintendo Case, Pro Controller, traded my Gray JoyCons for a couple of Red JoyCons, AM Glass protector (currently using screen protector that came with The Nintendo case)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
There's no actual way to search for a friend's username on the Switch yet, is there?

To add them? Nope. And seeing as they are not unique who knows if they'll add that feature.

The User ID is also unlikely as that's meant to be a secret (if you check your settings you'll even see they blank most of it out like they would a credit card number). Whoops to all those who posted them in that Nintendo User ID thread.

Grabbed Disgaea 5 from the japanese store, haven't played one since the original but having this on Switch is basically akin to mainlining crack. This machine is PERFECT for RPGs.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
finally ordered my Switch. i bought a wii u last week just for zelda but ended up regretting it so sent it back today and amazon refunded me straight away so put it towards a switch instead! traded in zelda for the switch version.

now i'm sitting here with zelda and amazon telling me they have no idea when they'll get some more Switch in stock. that's it ordered though. just gotta wait.

Neoxon

I ended up learning three things, yesterday.
  • The Switch by itself fits perfectly in one of the pockets of my leather jacket, with the Joy-Cons fitting in each of the two left jacket pockets (they could fit together in one pocket, but I don't want to get them scratched).
  • The Pro Controller is god-tier, though it feels a tiny bit smaller than I expected. I definitely need to buy one at some point
  • I intentionally pushed the D-Pad down the center on the Switch. While it felt like it hit all 4 buttons, going into the Button Test menu proved that it didn't. It's a legitimate D-Pad.

Neoweee

I've never played Shovel Knight, is it worth the $25?

Yes. There's actually a ton of stuff in there.

Shovel Knight Campaign
Plague Knight Campaign
Specter Knight Campaign
King Knight Campaign (coming this year)
Battle Mode (coming this year)
Co-Op (this year).

The campaigns are each like 3-5 hours long, and have NG+ Hard Modes. The none-Shovel campaigns use the same levels, but are remixed in such a way that they play very differently.

Tubie

finally ordered my Switch. i bought a wii u last week just for zelda but ended up regretting it so sent it back today and amazon refunded me straight away so put it towards a switch instead! traded in zelda for the switch version.

now i'm sitting here with zelda and amazon telling me they have no idea when they'll get some more Switch in stock. that's it ordered though. just gotta wait.

Why would you buy a Wii U now :(

At least they should give you priority on the Switch as soon as they get it in stock.

Yes. There's actually a ton of stuff in there.

Shovel Knight Campaign
Plague Knight Campaign
Specter Knight Campaign
King Knight Campaign (coming this year)
Battle Mode (coming this year)
Co-Op (this year).

The campaigns are each like 3-5 hours long, and have NG+ Hard Modes. The none-Shovel campaigns use the same levels, but are remixed in such a way that they play very differently.

Holy crap I didn't know there was that much stuff included.

neoemonk

I'd like to pick up I Am Setsuna, Blaster Master Zero, and Shovel Knight Treasure Trove.

Are there physical editions for any of these games? I saw an import version of I Am Setsuna on Amazon but I don't want to pay through the nose for it.

If these are all digital editions, do I need an SD card? I only have Zelda on cartridge right now.

Tubie

I'd like to pick up I Am Setsuna, Blaster Master Zero, and Shovel Knight Treasure Trove.

Are there physical editions for any of these games? I saw an import version of I Am Setsuna on Amazon but I don't want to pay through the nose for it.

If these are all digital editions, do I need an SD card? I only have Zelda on cartridge right now.

Your Switch comes with 32gb of storage, and that will last you for a while.

I do recommend getting an SD card for it eventually.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member

At least they should give you priority on the Switch as soon as they get it in stock.

like i said...i ended up regretting it. my thinking was that i'd save a bit of money (about £60) going with the Wii U instead of Switch and that I'd probably end up buying some mario games for it eventually and maybe another zelda game or two. Also told myself i'd be fine just playing it on TV. However i enjoyed playing Zelda so much i started wanting to play it while on the go and honestly the wii u system feels so slow and dated. I really didn't enjoy using it.

Switch makes perfect sense now. It might cost a bit more but it's the more powerful system and it's portable. Sure I'll not be able to play some of those Wii U games but I'm sure the Switch has loads of great games in it's future. I'll have a Mario game by the end of the year!

Neoweee

Holy crap I didn't know there was that much stuff included.

Essentially, they're doing a bunch of Expansions/DLC/Stretch-Goal fulfilments, while increasing the cost of the base game as more gets added, but having those free to current owners.

It's like an 8-bit sidescroller (very distinctly Mega Man inspired) in terms of length of the core content, but using a ton of well-implemented modern game design devices to extend the game. Hard Modes, Challenges, Achievements and 3 (soon 4) campaigns.

For the folks who bought the Switch in the last week, have you experienced faulty left joycon issues?

I'm wondering if Nintendo has fixed the issue in the new batch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom