• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
well amazon uk just updated their page. neons are back in stock on the 14th april. looks like i got my order in just on time! :D gonna be a long 2 weeks though without zelda. hopefully these new ones coming in have the joycon issue fixed.

Tubie

For the folks who bought the Switch in the last week, have you experienced faulty left joycon issues?

I'm wondering if Nintendo has fixed the issue in the new batch.

Mine is less than 2 weeks old, and I've failed to replicate the left joycon issue no matter what I tried.

I've also never had issues with wifi or the eshop, or sync issues.

It's probably down to luck tho, I'm sure most of the launch units have no issues either.

Futureman

Yes. There's actually a ton of stuff in there.

Shovel Knight Campaign
Plague Knight Campaign
Specter Knight Campaign
King Knight Campaign (coming this year)
Battle Mode (coming this year)
Co-Op (this year).

The campaigns are each like 3-5 hours long, and have NG+ Hard Modes. The none-Shovel campaigns use the same levels, but are remixed in such a way that they play very differently.

so buying SK on Switch gets you another campaign this year plus battle/co-op? That's pretty sweet.

any idea on when Co-op is coming?

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member

Shovel Knight Campaign
Plague Knight Campaign
Specter Knight Campaign
Co-Op (this year).

The campaigns are each like 3-5 hours long, and have NG+ Hard Modes. The none-Shovel campaigns use the same levels, but are remixed in such a way that they play very differently.

Wait, doesn't it already come with co-op? Or is this a different mode?

Futureman

For the folks who bought the Switch in the last week, have you experienced faulty left joycon issues?

I'm wondering if Nintendo has fixed the issue in the new batch.

I got mine on Sunday and I've had zero problems (no Joy Con issues or scratching).

I've never really play that far away from the Switch though when playing on my TV. Like I literally pull a chair up right in front of the screen.

I did play Snipperclips co-op though from about ~8' away. No problems.

Tubie

Essentially, they're doing a bunch of Expansions/DLC/Stretch-Goal fulfilments, while increasing the cost of the base game as more gets added, but having those free to current owners.

It's like an 8-bit sidescroller in terms of length of the core content, but using a ton of well-implemented modern game design devices to extend the game. Hard Modes, Challenges, Achievements and 3 (soon 4) campaigns.

Sold!

Wen't ahead and bought this, sounds like the kind of indie I would love.

TAS

I'd like to pick up I Am Setsuna, Blaster Master Zero, and Shovel Knight Treasure Trove.

Are there physical editions for any of these games? I saw an import version of I Am Setsuna on Amazon but I don't want to pay through the nose for it.

If these are all digital editions, do I need an SD card? I only have Zelda on cartridge right now.

I really wish Indie developers would make it known from the get-go if they plan to release a physical version. I bought a 200GB SD card but if I have the choice, I'll always pick physical.

North American folks who ordered from Amazon, did they send you European Pro Controllers? "EUR" typed on the top of the box and mentions of Europe and Australia on the bottom of the box.

Has anyone gotten the gray joycon's instead of the neon's and not immediately regret their choice?? I had no other choice. It was the only one available near me. I just need to know that they have actual potential to look decent over the neon's. Give me hope please.

Gray looks very classy. I don't know why you think they wouldn't.

Peltz

Has anyone gotten the gray joycon's instead of the neon's and not immediately regret their choice?? I had no other choice. It was the only one available near me. I just need to know that they have actual potential to look decent over the neon's. Give me hope please.

I have a Neon Switch but got an extra set of greys. Greys still look good and understated, but yea, Neons are much nicer looking and really make the unit look cool/fresh as fuck.

Neon > Grey

I mean, just look at it:

neon-nintendo-switch-event-picture-700x389.jpg

gndbmed3nldekgdz86zb.png

When you see both in person, it sort of feels like the colors really sell the system and give it an identity. Grey, on the other hand, just make it feel very generic. But the greys definitely don't look bad or anything.

jokkir

Alright, I'm on the fence between Snipperclips and Snake Pass. What would last me longer? The reason I'm on the fence about Snipperclips is that I wouldn't have someone to play with until I meet with friends and apprently the game is short. I heard Snake Pass was short as well so that's why I'm not completely on board with it.

arimanius

Alright, I'm on the fence between Snipperclips and Snake Pass. What would last me longer? The reason I'm on the fence about Snipperclips is that I wouldn't have someone to play with until I meet with friends and apprently the game is short. I heard Snake Pass was short as well so that's why I'm not completely on board with it.

Since you don't have anyone to play Snipperclips with I'd say Snake Pass. Snipperclips is really fun with other people.

Kudo

Having Splatoon 2 withdrawal symptoms, going to loan Wii U and Splatoon next week to play through the single player at least.

Cant get over the fact that nintendo OKed dragon quest on switch. The game is a mess

Its completely unplayable in handheld mode(while looking like crap) and barely playable docked

This should not be accepted and I hope we dont get any more titles like this

Peltz

I wouldn't play Snipperclips alone.

Shovel Knight Campaign
Plague Knight Campaign
Specter Knight Campaign
Co-Op (this year).

Wow, had no idea!! I only bought Specter of Torment :'( Is there any kind of upgrade program where I pay the difference?

mojo2

Neo Member
When you see both in person, it sort of feels like the colors really sell the system and give it an identity. Grey, on the other hand, just make it feel very generic. But the greys definitely don't look bad or anything.

Exactly! It's Nintendo after all. I've got black Wii and Wii U and this Neon Switch radiates persona and identity. It's crazy that I was going to go with the Gray but kids wanted Neon and it immediately struck me that I almost made a huge mistake. I love Neon.

I'm curious to see what FromSoft has up their sleeve. I'm not counting on Dark Souls 3 despite the rumor, but aren't they supposedly having a new ARPG that caters toward those fans release this year? I'm surprised we haven't heard much.

Neoweee

Wow, had no idea!! I only bought Specter of Torment :'( Is there any kind of upgrade program where I pay the difference?

=(

I doubt it. I'd contact Nintendo to see if you can get a refund, but who knows. Frame it as "accidentally" purchased it, instead of the full product.

7roject28

Finally got a Pro Controller order in at Amazon. Funny though, just saw the ad pop up while browsing GAF and was like, this for rea? But looks like they're getting more on the 5th.

kizmah

My Switch just promted me to do a system update. It took like a second to download and it's up to 2.1.0 now. No idea what it does.

abbyabs

I have a Neon Switch but got an extra set of greys. Greys still look good and understated, but yea, Neons are much nicer looking and really make the unit look cool/fresh as fuck.

Neon > Grey

I mean, just look at it:

neon-nintendo-switch-event-picture-700x389.jpg

gndbmed3nldekgdz86zb.png

I don't think i will be able to do this when i fly morocco :( stupid regulations.

Getting back to the powering the dock with a non-official plug thing. Pretty much everything recommended by Benson/Nathan K that does 15v+ is sold out except for this plug by iVoler. Ordered it so will report back with results. I am sure it will fast charge the Switch no problem, I am mostly curious if the dock will shut it down or not.

Anyone who has that Anker A2053111 plug that was popular wants to give it a shot I'd be interested in the results.

This came in. Does not power the dock.

Code:
Official (75% Charged)
Docked Idle	15v 0.6a

Plugged in directly:
OS Idle		15v 1a	
Zelda		15v 1.3a (peak)

iVoler ASIN:B01ET7SDXK (75% Charged)
Cable: Apple MLL82AM/A (A1739)
Docked Idle	15v 0.0a No TV Output. No error.

Plugged in directly:
OS Idle		15v 0.6a
Zelda		15v 0.6a (peak)

I tried the Pixel OEM cable as well just to be sure the Apple cable was not mucking anything up and identical results. Although it is capable of much higher than 0.6a it seems like it tops out there in all situations. Maybe a safety feature Nintendo has implemented for non-official plugs?

Even more curious how it handles the Anker plug now.

Lazy link to relevant previous discussion.

abbyabs

What? Why not? That's no more than bringing your phone with you onto the plane. Unless you can't do that either.

It depends on the size I think if i detach the joy cons it maybe allowed i need to check the measurements again. Its bs ban seeing that the bomb that went off on the Russian airlines plane over Egypt was in the hold.

=(

I doubt it. I'd contact Nintendo to see if you can get a refund, but who knows. Frame it as "accidentally" purchased it, instead of the full product.

Ooof, thanks for the suggestion, will try this and see how it goes.

P.S. It could be me, but I've noticed since the latest System Update (2.1.0 I believe? I'm in NA) that my Wi-Fi signal now holds consistently at 2 bars, sometimes 3, before it was usually at 1 bar. I even ran a speed test and it came back pretty decent (10 mbs down, 11 up; running Fios @ 50MBs) whereas before it couldn't even run the test.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Just a love post for joy-cons. Holding one in each hand, with so many buttons, good rumble and good analog sticks - in such an ergonomic form factor, is a triumph. Plain and simple.

Neoweee

Just a love post for joy-cons. Holding one in each hand, with so many buttons, good rumble and good analog sticks - in such an ergonomic form factor, is a triumph. Plain and simple.

I almost suffered a stroke going from playing Shovel Knight in handheld mode to Plague Knight's platforming in split-controller mode. The only thing I can reliably do so far with my left hand in split-controller mode is use an analog stick. But d-pad in split? It just burns my brain, man. overload.

Ooof, thanks for the suggestion, will try this and see how it goes.

A reddit thread on this topic:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw..._do_not_buy_shovel_knight_treasure_trove_and/

Several posters there did get refunds for a mistake:
Search for PhantomLord9925 and daremo123

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I almost suffered a stroke going from playing Shovel Knight in handheld mode to Plague Knight's platforming in split-controller mode. The only thing I can reliably do so far with my left hand in split-controller mode is use an analog stick. But d-pad in split? It just burns my brain, man. overload.
That's the one game I don't have. Playing Puyo Puyo Tetris, another 2D game, is perfect with joy-cons analog sticks. They are way smaller than the Pro controller and the precision is highly impressive, I never miss a quick move.

psychotron

Anyone else feel their joycons seems loose in the included controller shell? They snap in just fine, but when I press a trigger or move the sticks it feels like the joycons are shifting a bit. It's not unplayable but it's annoying, and I'm wondering if they're all kinda loose feeling.

abbyabs

Anyone else feel their joycons seems loose in the included controller shell? They snap in just fine, but when I press a trigger or move the sticks it feels like the joycons are shifting a bit. It's not unplayable but it's annoying, and I'm wondering if they're all kinda loose feeling.

Yea mine has a very slight wobble and i dare not hold the switch with one hand

A reddit thread on this topic:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw..._do_not_buy_shovel_knight_treasure_trove_and/

Several posters there did get refunds for a mistake:
Search for PhantomLord9925 and daremo123

You are the best!! Will call tonight when I get home and report back. Thanks Noeweee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom