• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firebrand

Anyone else feel their joycons seems loose in the included controller shell? They snap in just fine, but when I press a trigger or move the sticks it feels like the joycons are shifting a bit. It's not unplayable but it's annoying, and I'm wondering if they're all kinda loose feeling.
Nothing major, but they don't sit quite as tight as when attached to the Switch itself, no.

My switch just crashed and i can't turn it off, reboot or do anything at all

Help!?
Tried holding the power button for a few seconds to force it off?

Nothing major, but they don't sit quite as tight as when attached to the Switch itself, no.

Tried holding the power button for a few seconds to force it off?

Yes a couple of times but I'll try again.

EDIT: Crisis averted. But I had to hold that button for a really reeeeeeally long time. Like 20 sec or so.
Puh, back to Zelda.

TheExodu5

Banned
I have a Neon Switch but got an extra set of greys. Greys still look good and understated, but yea, Neons are much nicer looking and really make the unit look cool/fresh as fuck.

Neon > Grey

I mean, just look at it:

neon-nintendo-switch-event-picture-700x389.jpg

gndbmed3nldekgdz86zb.png

When you see both in person, it sort of feels like the colors really sell the system and give it an identity. Grey, on the other hand, just make it feel very generic. But the greys definitely don't look bad or anything.

I got a grey Switch and an extra set of Neons. Honestly, I love them both and am glad I have the option to use whatever suits my mood. The Neon's are really sweet, but it's also nice to switch to Grey when I want less attention or clash less in my entertainment center.

F34R

Finally got a Pro Controller order in at Amazon. Funny though, just saw the ad pop up while browsing GAF and was like, this for rea? But looks like they're getting more on the 5th.

Woot. Saw your post, and was able to get an order in for one too. Won't be in stock until April 5, but I'm ok with that. I had some rewards points available from my Amazon Visa, so my controller came out to be $20.xx!! :)

Alchemy

Anyone else feel their joycons seems loose in the included controller shell? They snap in just fine, but when I press a trigger or move the sticks it feels like the joycons are shifting a bit. It's not unplayable but it's annoying, and I'm wondering if they're all kinda loose feeling.

Mine feel pretty solid in the shell.

I have a Neon Switch but got an extra set of greys. Greys still look good and understated, but yea, Neons are much nicer looking and really make the unit look cool/fresh as fuck.

Neon > Grey

A friend of mine was surprised that I had gotten the neon Switch when I showed him (I like all my eletronic stuff black if possible) and he had decided already to pick up a grey one the next day.

So yea, he showed up with a neon one at my house. The colors just look really good in person.

jonno394

I'm sure my battery is draining much faster than it used to. Played zelda for less than an hour today (wifi on, screen about 50% brightness) and it used around 50% :/

Chris R

Is there a "dock" that doesn't block the screen, angles the switch back like the kickstand without sucking like the kickstand and packs ~10,000 or more mAh into the base to power the Switch as well?

Preferably under $50?

I play with the switch docked. . .with the pro controller. Love it but after a session every time I put the switch to sleep - I see the LCD screen come on inside the dock and lift it out only to see error 2168-0002. Getting pretty tiring.

kris.

Banned
I love the little snap noise the console makes when you slide a joy con into a side. Really, really digging this console. Way more than I expected. Zelda may have something to do it with.

Yeah, my right joy con can be pushed out of place with a bit of force. Kinda sucks. I haven't dropped it or anything, but the pin that's supposed to lock it in already appears to be worn down. I don't even unhook them that often :/ My gut is telling me that this issue stems from the straps and how hard they are to remove.

gogojira

Neon > Grey

I mean, just look at it:

When you see both in person, it sort of feels like the colors really sell the system and give it an identity. Grey, on the other hand, just make it feel very generic. But the greys definitely don't look bad or anything.

After seeing the promo shots of Neon Switch I got pretty jealous because I pre ordered grey. When I finally saw a Neon Switch in real life I was relieved because that shit was pretty ugly, lol. The red looks more like a parking cone than anything.

NimbusD

Been trying to be patient and see if there will be a reprint or restock for I am Setsuna at Play Asia or any of the other import stores. Still can't digest paying 40 dollars for a digital game even in this day and age. Plus I'm having a bit of a collection kick with the Switch.
Yeah I gave up on waiting and downloaded the digital copy. Which I know I'll regret when the price drops in a few months or just like a year from now when I have a game that I'm never going to replay just chilling on the switch homepage.

Poppyseed

The best results you're going to get when charging the Switch is to go USB C to C. That's the only way you're going to get the higher charge rates that the USB-PD spec supports.

But it's also unnecessary for handheld use. You just need the right charger to work properly. :)

The iPad 12W charger is perfect with a USB A to C cable.

AddiF

Ok is this HD rumble thing in my Switch faulty or is it just not that great? Some time ago I downloaded the Tetris demo from the japanese eShop to try out the rumble and it was quite bad. Had this weird feel to it, like it was about to break itself loose and felt "canny". Too powerful, even.

Today I bought Fast RMX and its the same thing. I read it uses HD Rumble but I don't feel it. Always the same rumble feedback for crashes, boost and so on. Not so HD and I get the same feeling as with the Tetris demo.

Is this the HD rumble, are my Joycons faulty or should I replace my hands?

F34R

Just a few posts up I mentioned ordering a pro controller from amazon and it'll be here the 11th of April. Just went to a Gamestop and bought one lol.

Poppyseed

Ok is this HD rumble thing in my Switch faulty or is it just not that great? Some time ago I downloaded the Tetris demo from the japanese eShop to try out the rumble and it was quite bad. Had this weird feel to it, like it was about to break itself loose and felt "canny". Too powerful, even.

Today I bought Fast RMX and its the same thing. I read it uses HD Rumble but I don't feel it. Always the same rumble feedback for crashes, boost and so on. Not so HD and I get the same feeling as with the Tetris demo.

Unfortunately that's just how it is. It's really awful, and I've disabled vibration in the system settings because it's the worst rumble I've ever felt on any controller, ever. Loud, obnoxious, distracting, terrible pitch at times. How on earth this made it through R&D in Nintendo boggles my mind.

After 4 weeks finally my Switch arrived. Plus the Master Edition and the Pro Controller. Now just have to set the dock up and play some Zelda.

Alchemy

I'm looking at USB Type C cell phone docks that would keep the Switch upright and give me an option for charging it with a power brick at the same time, anyone have any ideas?

7roject28

Woot. Saw your post, and was able to get an order in for one too. Won't be in stock until April 5, but I'm ok with that. I had some rewards points available from my Amazon Visa, so my controller came out to be $20.xx!! :)

Just as I'm finally able to order one, I went to the local store and they had some. So I bought it and just cancelled my Amazon order lol.

hongcha

Yeah, mine is like that too. So far it's fine in Zelda, but in Dragon Quest Heroes II when you do your super move, the whole thing just rattles and buzzes, it sounds like a bunch of bees in a tin can. I'll be playing with it disabled in that game.

UqDJwXcl.jpg

t9o4NL3l.jpg

Just got this USB-C power meter. Now I can get a little more scientific than the previous observation I made with regards to the fast-charging rate of USB-PD chargers and powerbank. The Switch is currently being used as a battery for the Nexus 6P, indicated by the arrow. Discharging it to around 80% battery before plugging in the USB-PD battery and chargers.

branny

Yeah, neon is way nicer in person compared to how it comes across in promotional material. I went with a gray Switch due to my OCD, but I've since picked up both sets of red/red and blue/blue joy-cons.

The neon blue, for example, isn't a light blue like it appears in many photos/videos. It's actually far closer to the color of Wii U cases but much more vibrant and a tad greener.

This is the closest photograph I could find that conveys the "in-person" look of neon blue joy-cons:

JXMq60z.jpg

NimbusD

Unfortunately that's just how it is. It's really awful, and I've disabled vibration in the system settings because it's the worst rumble I've ever felt on any controller, ever. Loud, obnoxious, distracting, terrible pitch at times. How on earth this made it through R&D in Nintendo boggles my mind.
It's bizarre to me how much it annoys some people. Yeah it can make a bad noise sometimes in handheld mode but it's pretty great rumble. Maybe people were expecting too much from it? Idk coming from Wii u, I'm satisfied.

I imagine it'll only be better as devs figure out how to use it for things other than just an intense rumble like in 1 2 switch.

DESTROYA

Finally got my hands on one and so far it's great, only thing bugging me is when lying down in bed and playing while charging the power cable is stabbing me in the chest and gets pretty annoying when I want to just relax, can anyone recommend a good 90 degree angle adapter or something that might work?

So, first time I dock and undock and there`s already some marks on my screen. I've used a microfiber cloth to clean it and most of the marks disappeared. Looks like there is no scratches on the screen or if there is they are really small and hard to notice. Not a good first impression. Now I`m afraid of docking the damn thing again. Gonna have to come up with a solution soon.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Man, Snake Pass looks bad in portable mode, talking about IQ... feels a bit like a 3DS game when played in 3D as far as jaggies/clarity go, clearly much lower than 720p and sub-native almost always looks bad. Graphically the game is good but it's also flat: the missing shadowing/advanced lighting takes away a lot of the character of the visual style, colors don't pop and Snake kinda blends with the environment.

And man, MAN. The rumble is busted (they'll patch it but how could this pass QA/certification?).
WHY THE HELL IS THE SWITCH CONTROLLERS RUMBLE FEATURE under System's Options instead of under Controls?!
So backwords, especially now that some games don't even give you such option in-game but you need to turn it off at system level.

Got the numbers I needed.

z4yBrVfl.jpg

Components used: Official Nintendo AC adapter, Anker PowerPort+ 5 with USB-PD wall charger, Xiaomi ZMI QB820 powerbank with USB-PD, Aukey 30,000mAh powerbank with standard and Qualcomm Quickcharge 3.0, Apple 2M USB-C-to-USB-C Benson-approved cable.

The condition:

Zelda BOTW, max brightness, max volume, WiFi on.

The figures:

Charging the Nintendo Switch using:

1. Official Nintendo AC adapter: 15V 1.25A
2. Xiaomi QB820 powerbank via USB-C PD: 15V 1.0A
3. Xiaomi QB820 powerbank via USB-A: 5V 1.5A
4. Aukey 30,000mAh powerbank via USB A (non-QuickCharge): 5V 1.5A
5. Aukey 30,000mAh powerbank via USB A (QuickCharge): 5V 1.5A
6. Anker PowerPort+ 5 via USB-C PD: 15V 0.5A *SLOWER than QB820 powerbank!*
7. Anker PowerPort+ 5 via USB-A: 5V 1.5A

Bonus figures:
Anker PowerPort+ 5 charging Xiaomi QB820 powerbank: 15V 2.5A
Official Nintendo AC adapter charging Xiaomi QB820 powerbank: 15V 2.6A

The best combo for charging are the official Nintendo AC charger, the Anker PowerPort+ 5 and the Xiaomi QB820. Other than getting powerbanks or outdoor camping power cells and off-the-grid equipment like the Omnicharge Omni or the RAVPower 20,100 mAh 65W with AC outlets built into them, these three chargers are all I need at home and outside.

Also from those figures, QuickCharge or any other formats of fast-charging other than USB-PD does not charge the Switch any faster than your standard USB-A charger, they are not supported.

mojo2

Neo Member
Man, Snake Pass looks bad in portable mode, talking about IQ... feels a bit like a 3DS game when played in 3D as far as jaggies/clarity go, clearly much lower than 720p and sub-native almost always looks bad. Graphically the game is good but it's also flat: the missing shadowing/advanced lighting takes away a lot of the character of the visual style, colors don't pop and Snake kinda blends with the environment.

And man, MAN. The rumble is busted (they'll patch it but how could this pass QA/certification?).
WHY THE HELL IS THE SWITCH CONTROLLERS RUMBLE FEATURE under System's Options instead of under Controls?!
So backwords, especially now that some games don't even give you such option in-game but you need to turn it off at system level.

Weird that Digital Foundry said it looks good in portable. There's a patch that enhances portable AA and shadow quality, I think. I wonder if that's noticeable enhancement.

Controllers menu doesn't have controller calibration options either. That's just stupid too. It should have everything in it.

6. Anker PowerPort+ 5 via USB-C PD: 15V 0.5A *SLOWER than QB820 powerbank!*
7. Anker PowerPort+ 5 via USB-A: 5V 1.5A

Good info, thanks. Would you be willing to see if the Anker is able to power the dock? My similar tests have shown so far that non-official plugs will not hand shake with the dock, but I don't have the Anker plug, so the more data the better.

Durden77

So I just put my amfilm screen protector on (I think?) and I honestly can't even tell if it's on. Does that mean I've done it right?

Good info, thanks. Would you be willing to see if the Anker is able to power the dock? My similar tests have shown so far that non-official plugs will not hand shake with the dock, but I don't have the Anker plug, so the more data the better.

Tested that the first thing when I got it. Only the Nintendo AC charger works with the dock. There must be some kind of "handshaking" authentication going on between the charger and the dock. I even tested the powerbank as well. It's a no go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom