• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Man, Snake Pass looks bad in portable mode, talking about IQ... feels a bit like a 3DS game when played in 3D as far as jaggies/clarity go, clearly much lower than 720p and sub-native almost always looks bad. Graphically the game is good but it's also flat: the missing shadowing/advanced lighting takes away a lot of the character of the visual style, colors don't pop and Snake kinda blends with the environment.

And man, MAN. The rumble is busted (they'll patch it but how could this pass QA/certification?).
WHY THE HELL IS THE SWITCH CONTROLLERS RUMBLE FEATURE under System's Options instead of under Controls?!
So backwords, especially now that some games don't even give you such option in-game but you need to turn it off at system level.
Seems you haven't updated the version you just got? Rumble was fixed yesterday.

So I just put my amfilm screen protector on (I think?) and I honestly can't even tell if it's on. Does that mean I've done it right?

Not sure what you mean? I have the amfilm and while it's not a hefty chunk of glass you would have to be putting it on in the dark with gloves or something not to know if you've done it

Poppyseed

Got the numbers I needed.

z4yBrVfl.jpg

Components used: Official Nintendo AC adapter, Anker PowerPort+ 5 with USB-PD wall charger, Xiaomi ZMI QB820 powerbank with USB-PD, Aukey 30,000mAh powerbank with standard and Qualcomm Quickcharge 3.0, Apple 2M USB-C-to-USB-C Benson-approved cable.

The condition:

Zelda BOTW, max brightness, max volume, WiFi on.

The figures:

Charging the Nintendo Switch using:

1. Official Nintendo AC adapter: 15V 1.25A
2. Xiaomi QB820 powerbank via USB-C PD: 15V 1.0A
3. Xiaomi QB820 powerbank via USB-A: 5V 1.5A
4. Aukey 30,000mAh powerbank via USB A (non-QuickCharge): 5V 1.5A
5. Aukey 30,000mAh powerbank via USB A (QuickCharge): 5V 1.5A
6. Anker PowerPort+ 5 via USB-C PD: 15V 0.5A *SLOWER than QB820 powerbank!*
7. Anker PowerPort+ 5 via USB-A: 5V 1.5A

Bonus figures:
Anker PowerPort+ 5 charging Xiaomi QB820 powerbank: 15V 2.5A
Official Nintendo AC adapter charging Xiaomi QB820 powerbank: 15V 2.6A

The best combo for charging are the official Nintendo AC charger, the Anker PowerPort+ 5 and the Xiaomi QB820. Other than getting powerbanks or outdoor camping power cells and off-the-grid equipment like the Omnicharge Omni or the RAVPower 20,100 mAh 65W with AC outlets built into them, these three chargers are all I need at home and outside.

Also from those figures, QuickCharge or any other formats of fast-charging other than USB-PD does not charge the Switch any faster than your standard USB-A charger, they are not supported.

Don't really understand your numbers. The official Nintendo AC adapter outputs more than 1.25A. You wouldn't be charging the Switch at 1.25A.

Don't really understand your numbers. The official Nintendo AC adapter outputs more than 1.25A. You wouldn't be charging the Switch at 1.25A.

That is 18w, same peak readings I was getting and pretty good as far as USB goes. Not sure what you are expecting?

Also that is plenty to charge the Switch. Maybe you didn't notice the 15v?

Vitacat

So I just put my amfilm screen protector on (I think?) and I honestly can't even tell if it's on. Does that mean I've done it right?

Probably. It should just be that your Switch has a nice smooth glass screen now. Nothing will change in terms of how games look or how the touch screen reacts.

sadromeo

Got the numbers I needed.

z4yBrVfl.jpg

Components used: Official Nintendo AC adapter, Anker PowerPort+ 5 with USB-PD wall charger, Xiaomi ZMI QB820 powerbank with USB-PD, Aukey 30,000mAh powerbank with standard and Qualcomm Quickcharge 3.0, Apple 2M USB-C-to-USB-C Benson-approved cable.

The condition:

Zelda BOTW, max brightness, max volume, WiFi on.

The figures:

Charging the Nintendo Switch using:

1. Official Nintendo AC adapter: 15V 1.25A
2. Xiaomi QB820 powerbank via USB-C PD: 15V 1.0A
3. Xiaomi QB820 powerbank via USB-A: 5V 1.5A
4. Aukey 30,000mAh powerbank via USB A (non-QuickCharge): 5V 1.5A
5. Aukey 30,000mAh powerbank via USB A (QuickCharge): 5V 1.5A
6. Anker PowerPort+ 5 via USB-C PD: 15V 0.5A *SLOWER than QB820 powerbank!*
7. Anker PowerPort+ 5 via USB-A: 5V 1.5A

Bonus figures:
Anker PowerPort+ 5 charging Xiaomi QB820 powerbank: 15V 2.5A
Official Nintendo AC adapter charging Xiaomi QB820 powerbank: 15V 2.6A

The best combo for charging are the official Nintendo AC charger, the Anker PowerPort+ 5 and the Xiaomi QB820. Other than getting powerbanks or outdoor camping power cells and off-the-grid equipment like the Omnicharge Omni or the RAVPower 20,100 mAh 65W with AC outlets built into them, these three chargers are all I need at home and outside.

Also from those figures, QuickCharge or any other formats of fast-charging other than USB-PD does not charge the Switch any faster than your standard USB-A charger, they are not supported.

What is the mah on the Xiaomi power bank?

What's everyones collection like so far?

Physical Games
Zelda
MK8D (pre-ordered)

Digital Games
Snipperclips

Accessories
Pro Controller
Official Case
Zelda hardback game guide

I'm not big on digital games so only buy them when a physical copy isn't available. I beat Zelda earlier this week so my Switch hasn't been used since, I need more games.

The AC adapter is capable of UP TO 15V 2.6A but that is while it is docked, the Switch regulates the power it requires enough to run the game, based on what USB-PD it can negotiate out of the charger it is connected to. In the case of the official AC charger, it is 15V 2.6A, but the power draw required for the load the Switch is currently running when I tested this (Zelda BOTW) undocked in portable mode, it only requires 1.25A, instead of the whole 2.6A. 720p in portable mode, versus upscaled 1080p in docked mode, remember? Which equates to more power guzzling needs while docked versus handheld.

The idea I believe is to get as close as this figure (15V 1.25A) delivered by the AC charger while in portable mode (off the dock) so that the Switch is continually powered and fast-charging at the same time. Anything lower, the Switch will either draw parity with the charge it drains from the internal battery versus the charge it gets from the external charger/powerbank, or in the case of standard smartphone-class powerbanks capable of only USB-A 5V ports, barely able to stop the drain, and not top up the internal battery charge, while gaming. In sleep mode, or when the game is suspended when you returned to the dashboard, the Switch sips minimal battery power, and while in these two conditions, standard smartphone-class powerbanks can easily top up the Switch internal battery, without the need of USB-C PD class powerbanks.

TL;DR: If you wanna play and charge your Switch rapidly, you need USB-PD chargers. "Play and maintain Switch battery charge" or "play and trickle charge" is possible with USB-A powerbanks. While in sleep mode or light load conditions, standard USB-A chargers does the job as well.

correojon

I´m in love with the Joycons, just holding them feels so good. Even using them in horizontal mode is great.

I like a lot the system UI, it´s clean and really fast. The update installed yesterday in a second and the system rebooted instantly, everything is so fast!

1 2 Switch is nice, it actually has some really funny games, but what´s surprised me more is Snipperclips. I unexpectedly got a digital download with the Neon Joycons and have been having a blast playing it with my GF. It really makes you think outside the box and work together, a lot of times we would come up with totally different solutions and when we got stuck in a puzzle we just started a cutting battle and frustration got replaced with immediate laughter. I can´t recommend this game enough, it´s been a huge surprise, it´s so creative and fresh.

BTW, the other day some relatives of my GF came to visit and my GF wanted to play the Yoga game in 1 2 Switch against her father, so we booted it up and soon everyone became really intrigued by the system. We then played the safe combination game and people were really impressed they could find the combination with the HD rumble. The flag game, milking game and table tennis were other highlights. A cousin of my GF asked about the system and I showed him he could plug in the Joycons and take it out, his mind was instantly blown. He said a coworker had bought one and had talked about showing it to him but had never actually done it, and now that he´d seen it he was pretty impressed and may consider getting one. Initially everyone disregarded it as "oh, this is like the Wii" but after some minutes everyone was having a good laugh playing or watching others play, to the point it ended up killing all conversations in the room and becoming the main activity for everyone. I know recapturing the Wii market is impossible, but if people start bringing this to social reunions it could become the next big thing (and if it was cheaper too).

mojo2

Neo Member
I have no idea what am I going to do with Slpatoon 2 and MK8D, if I'm going digital for the convenience of quick jump into multiplayer or physical because I love physical (and even resale value). This is THE digital platform but I'm just not ready to make the jump. I hate the cost cause you can't get anything back ever.

On the other hand these are the games I won't be selling...

I have no idea what am I going to do with Slpatoon 2 and MK8D, if I'm going digital for the convenience of quick jump into multiplayer or physical because I love physical (and even resale value). This is THE digital platform but I'm just not ready to make the jump. I hate the cost cause you can't get anything back ever.

Go physical you'll save yourself money plus if worse comes to worse you can sell them if needed or trade them in the future when the switch 2 or whatever comes out

nubbe

I only go digital with multiplayer games since it something I just want to jump in and play on occasion in long or short sessions.

If they are physical, there will be a mental barrier and humans are convenient by nature so multiplayer games are much less likely to be used in physical form.
Also, multiplayer games won't have any value when servers are shut down and you never know when they do get shutdown.

mojo2

Neo Member
Good points, both of them. I'm leaning to buying at least Splatoon physical because it might not hold my interest for that long.

If physical, can sell to buy digital. The other way around it's nope.

ParityBit

So besides the pro controller, mem card and glass protection, what other accessories are must haves?

I know a case ... which case?
Anything else I should invest in? Besides getting the switch itself....

jts

...hate me...
So besides the pro controller, mem card and glass protection, what other accessories are must haves?

TV, house.

j/k just buy that and Zelda and you'll be sorted. Don't overthink it. You'll be able to buy stuff as you go and actually feel that you need it.

As far as cases go this one is a popular choice (and is currently sold out at Amazon).

ParityBit

TV, house.

j/k just buy that and Zelda and you'll be sorted. Don't overthink it. You'll be able to buy stuff as you go and actually feel that you need it.

As far as cases go this one is a popular choice (and is currently sold out at Amazon).

Hah thanks! Is there any difference between them besides the colors? I could get the black Zelda Link one. Ships in a few weeks but not as bad as the others.

F34R

Just as I'm finally able to order one, I went to the local store and they had some. So I bought it and just cancelled my Amazon order lol.

Yeah, I had to keep my Amazon order since it came out to $20 lol. When it gets here I'll either keep the Gamestop controller, or return it.

I just have to say that I am loving the hell out of being able to play Zelda on my TV, grab the console, and continue playing on the John, the train, on lunch at work, etc...

I'm enjoying it to the point that I'd rather have multiplats on the Switch than my PC or PS4 pro...

Majine

Banned

I got an extra USBC charger and cable so I can charge it by the bed in addition to in the dock.

Hi, Can someone start a thread where we can submit wrap designs for the Switch from dbrands website?

The wrap visualization tool is good and I'll like to see what people come up with. Just an idea.

zVTJGsX.png

JVYqG8l.png

jts

...hate me...
Hah thanks! Is there any difference between them besides the colors? I could get the black Zelda Link one. Ships in a few weeks but not as bad as the others.
I think they are all the same. I'm not sure though, I'm actually waiting for the Nintendo one (which is not as high rated but I like the way it looks) to be back on stock again, which seems that will take forever.

Nesther

So, finally got my replacement Switch. At first I thought they just gave me back my old Switch, but the serial number is different. At first glance I see that I got one of those bent docks, so I won't be using the dock until I get that tempered glass.

Now once I finish updating the device, I'll try seeing if the sd card reader works this time...

Edit: Oh my god. This one detects my SD card. I finally got a working Switch!

Any other common faults I should check on before diving into Zelda?

linkboy

Speaking of that.

Can I use my ipad charger to charge the switch?

You'll need a USB-C to USB-A cord (I recommend this one) or use the one that came with the Pro Controller if you have it.

However, you won't get the full charging capabilities of the Switch (since USB-C to A doesn't support the USB-Power Deliver specification), and there's a chance the system might not be able to charge fast enough to keep up with the battery drain when using a C to A cable.

Casanova

My Switch was supposed to ship on the 5th of April, but I got confirmation that it was actually shipped yesterday... I'm sooooooo excited. I haven't had a new toy in a while.

I can't wait to play 1-2 Switch

lol jk. BoTW

Does anyone have this usb c male to female extension cable, or know if it will work to play the Switch undocked while using the official ac adapter?

I'm not sure how much sense that made but what I'm asking is if this cable could potentially fuck up my Switch or if it'd be ok to use. I see it specifically says it can be used for the Switch so I imagine I'm good, but wondering if anyone had any actual experience with it.

linkboy

Does anyone have this usb c male to female extension cable, or know if it will work to play the Switch undocked while using the official ac adapter?

I'm not sure how much sense that made but what I'm asking is if this cable could potentially fuck up my Switch or if it'd be ok to use. I see it specifically says it can be used for the Switch so I imagine I'm good, but wondering if anyone had any actual experience with it.

It should work perfectly fine with the official adapter.

Most people I've seen using that cable have been using it as an extension cord for the dock to prevent the screen from getting scratched.

It should work perfectly fine with the official adapter.

Most people I've seen using that cable have been using it as an extension cord for the dock to prevent the screen from getting scratched.

Ok thanks. That's a good idea. I was planning to use it as an extension because sometimes I'll want to play undocked and not worry about the charge, but the 6ft adapter is too short for me.

Malakai

I brought this one for my Switch: EVA Case for Switch off of ebay. If this seller runs out you can search for EVA Case but make sure it is the gray color one because the other color lack the indents for the Switch's trigger buttons. Another case that may be available right now is the Butter Fox cases which also have the indents for the triggers.

Durden77

Not sure what you mean? I have the amfilm and while it's not a hefty chunk of glass you would have to be putting it on in the dark with gloves or something not to know if you've done it

Probably. It should just be that your Switch has a nice smooth glass screen now. Nothing will change in terms of how games look or how the touch screen reacts.

I mean I think I put in on correctly, but when I pulled off the second "top" layer to finish....it doesn't look like there's anything there. I know that's how screen protectors are supposed to work but I guess I have a hard time believing I put it on so well lol. It's just seemless, so I was worried I didn't do it right or something.

Unai

UqDJwXcl.jpg

t9o4NL3l.jpg

Just got this USB-C power meter. Now I can get a little more scientific than the previous observation I made with regards to the fast-charging rate of USB-PD chargers and powerbank. The Switch is currently being used as a battery for the Nexus 6P, indicated by the arrow. Discharging it to around 80% battery before plugging in the USB-PD battery and chargers.

The AC adapter is capable of UP TO 15V 2.6A but that is while it is docked, the Switch regulates the power it requires enough to run the game, based on what USB-PD it can negotiate out of the charger it is connected to. In the case of the official AC charger, it is 15V 2.6A, but the power draw required for the load the Switch is currently running when I tested this (Zelda BOTW) undocked in portable mode, it only requires 1.25A, instead of the whole 2.6A. 720p in portable mode, versus upscaled 1080p in docked mode, remember? Which equates to more power guzzling needs while docked versus handheld.

The idea I believe is to get as close as this figure (15V 1.25A) delivered by the AC charger while in portable mode (off the dock) so that the Switch is continually powered and fast-charging at the same time. Anything lower, the Switch will either draw parity with the charge it drains from the internal battery versus the charge it gets from the external charger/powerbank, or in the case of standard smartphone-class powerbanks capable of only USB-A 5V ports, barely able to stop the drain, and not top up the internal battery charge, while gaming. In sleep mode, or when the game is suspended when you returned to the dashboard, the Switch sips minimal battery power, and while in these two conditions, standard smartphone-class powerbanks can easily top up the Switch internal battery, without the need of USB-C PD class powerbanks.

TL;DR: If you wanna play and charge your Switch rapidly, you need USB-PD chargers. "Play and maintain Switch battery charge" or "play and trickle charge" is possible with USB-A powerbanks. While in sleep mode or light load conditions, standard USB-A chargers does the job as well.

I'm still not sure if it's safe to use my galaxy s7 charger with the cable that came with the pro controller to charge the console on the go. I've got mixed reports.

In theory, the console and the charger should negotiate the power needed. If I understood what people are saying, this might not always happen, so the console might be getting more that it can handles and it will end up frying it. Is that right?

I'm still not sure if it's safe to use my galaxy s7 charger with the cable that came with the pro controller to charge the console on the go. I've got mixed reports.

In theory, the console and the charger should negotiate the power needed. If I understood what people are saying, this might not always happen, so the console might be getting more that it can handles and it will end up frying it. Is that right?

Close. The problem is the Switch is unable to negotiate with the s7 charger, because they are using two different technologies. The s7 should detect that and default to a safe 5v, and very likely will, but each plug is different, with some being legit dangerous like the Nexus 5x so it is hard to give a blanket thumbs up.

Monumma

Can someone with the Parental Control app already on April 1st please take a screenshot of the Monthly Report page?

I'm really curious to see it.

Thanks!

I've got a RAVpower RP-PB059 with USB-PD coming today. I will run a test with my USB-C volt/amp meter to see how it compares to the Xiaomi QB820.

Please do. That was one of my option, RAVPower refuses to ship across the Pacific when I enquired about it. I may even attempt to purchase it by forwarding service if it proves to better than the QB820.

What Smite said. The charger and the device in question will initiate the handshake and when there aren't any compatible USB-PD charge rate that's agreeable between them, it'll default down to 5V1.5A, the lowest safe common USB-A charge rate. Bear in mind, the Switch isn't compatible with anything other fast-charge protocol other than USB-PD, but due to some poorly QC-ed chargers that combines these other fast-charge protocols with USB-PD, therein lies the danger: the device keeps querying for more power, the charger kept supplying it, which ultimately results in a brownout (best case scenario) or charger overheats and burns your house down while you left it charging at night while you sleep (worse case scenario). Not exaggerating, the Google testers who tested these out-of-specs cables and chargers have lost ports on their Google Pixel C, and in the case of Nathan.K, blown his entire PC power supply with it. Pretty scary.

I mean I think I put in on correctly, but when I pulled off the second "top" layer to finish....it doesn't look like there's anything there. I know that's how screen protectors are supposed to work but I guess I have a hard time believing I put it on so well lol. It's just seemless, so I was worried I didn't do it right or something.

Lol fair enough! Mine looks really good but I can definitely distinguish a millimetre or so gap between the protector and bezel as well as a slight edge. But being un noticeable is a good thing right :D

7roject28

Yeah, it was quick and easy and looks great. Just got mine too and after I stuck it on I saw a speck on it. Examined it and the speck is actually in the glass. There's a slight lump of the glass over the speck. Was thinking of just taking it off and putting the second one on but I think I'll just leave it.

7roject28

So I fucked up applying the amFilm screen protector :/

I ruined the first one by peeling off the little tab that says step 1 and not the actual film and the other side with the two tabs fell off. The second one went way better, but there was an air bubble that would not go away no matter what. Here's a pic of it

Is there any way to get rid of it still or do I have to buy another set? :(

You try using those little sticker bits to lift that corner then smooth it out? If not then the glass might be deformed there causing that bubble. Or could be dust in between there causing it. I had a speck of dust fused into the glass in mine.

peakish

So I fucked up applying the amFilm screen protector :/

I ruined the first one by peeling off the little tab that says step 1 and not the actual film and the other side with the two tabs fell off. The second one went way better, but there was an air bubble that would not go away no matter what. Here's a pic of it

Is there any way to get rid of it still or do I have to buy another set? :(
I got a couple of those and fixed them by carefully lifting the film in that area. When I released it again it settled into place perfectly.

I got a couple of those and fixed them by carefully lifting the film in that area. When I released it again it settled into place perfectly.

I did that and it fixed that one bubble, but another one appeared so I tried to fix that one. I ended up fucking up the corner on the protector where the first bubble was by lifting it up too much. I tried to salvage the first protector I tried using, but the step 1 tab left a shit ton of adhesive on the protector rendering it useless. I snapped both of them in anger and am wondering if I should buy more or not. I take full responsibility for my mistakes :V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom