• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

majik13

Anybody got a link to the best value for a microSD card? I would rather not spend too much. I am just currently trying to circumvent the Switches max 100 photos in the album on internal memory.

Is anyone else getting a weird issue when docked and playing Zelda, where the screen horizontally splits into two frames? It is similar to tearing from the lack of vsync, except when I move the camera side to side, one portion of the screen is sort of lagging behind the other until the split crawls down the screen and it all becomes one frame again. It usually only for a second or two, and doesn't happen too often, but it is annoying. It seems to happen when things get effects heavy.

I haven't tried it on another TV to see if that's where the problem is. Just seeing if anyone else has seen it so I can determine it's a issue with the switch, whether it's software or hardware.

Apt101

I am loving a lot about this console right now.

- Leaving it docked and waking it from sleep mode is so rapid (pro controller). Picking up right where I left off in Zelda within 10 seconds of sitting on the couch is marvelous

- The pro controller's battery life appears to be about 40 hours. How is this possible? It's nuts. And it has no latency even when I am about 25 feet away

- While undocked battery life kind of sucks, it's awesome being able to take this to bed in a cinch, or grab it so my GF has something to occupy her while we take a long drive someplace (she's not one for podcasts like me, so this is a nice situation - she plays with headphones, I listed to Doug Loves Movies / Bombcast)

- The neon model looks so cool. And with the dock it all takes up so little space on my entertainment center . I actually partially hide behind the TV

ParityBit

So what is your number 2 game that you are playing? I am looking for another game in addition to Zelda (I only have 20 min in Zelda from last night so far)

sirap

Is anyone else getting a weird issue when docked and playing Zelda, where the screen horizontally splits into two frames? It is similar to tearing from the lack of vsync, except when I move the camera side to side, one portion of the screen is sort of lagging behind the other until the split crawls down the screen and it all becomes one frame again. It usually only for a second or two, and doesn't happen too often, but it is annoying. It seems to happen when things get effects heavy.

I haven't tried it on another TV to see if that's where the problem is. Just seeing if anyone else has seen it so I can determine it's a issue with the switch, whether it's software or hardware.

This has never happened with my Switch, but I have experienced close to what you're describing on my old 360. It was hooked up to a Dell Ultrasharp and turning the monitor off and on again fixed the tearing.

So what is your number 2 game that you are playing? I am looking for another game in addition to Zelda (I only have 20 min in Zelda from last night so far)

Shovel Knight. The base game alone can last you quite a long time if you're the type to go after achievements.

My switch is arriving today. No more using my daughters after she goes to bed! I got the Gamestop Online (in-store) Zelda bundle that ships with Shovel Knight, Sniperclips, Zelda, the Zelda season pass and that huge zelda guide.

japtor

At that price you might as well get the official Nintendo charger.

But as long as the cable is fine any decent USB-A charger (with 5V/2A or 2.4A) should work. That quick charge one won't charge any faster since the Switch doesn't support it (and in worst case scenario QC over USB-C is a bad thing if something goes wrong). If you want fast charging...the official one is the one to get, or something that can match the spec, but you'll pay more for other (good/safe) options at that power level afaik.

kyle-777-

Well, today (3 weeks with the system) I had my first crash / freeze while trying to connect to my wifi network, for some reason it was not connecting automatically then I went to setting searched for wireless connections and tried to connect and after the connection was stabilished the system froze and I had to power cycle the Switch, hope it does not happen again.

I really don't want to quit my system for a week or so. It's not really that bothering, I just need to keep in mind to open that windows before playing. I'll probably end up buying another pair of joy-cons in a few months and I'll replace them at this time.

Just get it fixed. I don't understand why some of you would deal with that tbh.

Is undercover a fun game? Never played a lego game before

Ya it's the best Lego game, load time were horrible on the wii u, and from the video comparison of the load times the switch still takes almost 60 seconds to load into the game when you boot it up. The interior loading seems really improved though.

GravyButt

Ya it's the best Lego game, load time were horrible on the wii u, and from the video comparison of the load times the switch still takes almost 60 seconds to load into the game when you boot it up. The interior loading seems really improved though.

Cool. What does it play like? I was thinking of picking up the Jurassic park lego for xbox or ps4 but can't find it on sale!

Something strange happened to me last night.

I was playing Zelda and then, when trying to put the system in Sleep mode, the home menu button on the right JoyCon nor the Capture button on the left JoyCon did anything. The buttons did not respond at all. This happened while playing undocked. I docked the system and still the same, I removed the JoyCon from the Switch and still no response.

I undocked the system again just to try and I just couldn't access the menu system at all. All the other JoyCon buttons were ok and I was able to still play the game.

To be able to go back to the home menu and make them work, I had to force-shut down the system by holding the power button on the Switch for some seconds until it turned off. I turned it back on and the home and capture buttons worked as usual.

This has only happened to me once in a 3 week period. Haven't read about this issue here in GAF though. Someone here with the same problem?

Thanks.

Apt101

I've had that happen before with other equipment. One time the connection was't that great between the device and the monitor. The second time, the cable was bad. IN both cases I had to replace the cable, because in the first instance the connector on one end was just bad.

pgharavi

Banned
So this is jarring. In the pic below, my launch unit from Amazon is up top. My buddy's unit - also from Amazon - just arrived today and is below. The picture speaks for itself.

N3Xq8hd.jpg

It's like there's some hidden setting where mine is set to "Standard" and his is set to "Warm 2." I obviously have no idea if this is true. I'm concerned that perhaps his unit's display is defective (or hell, maybe mine is)!

Pretty surprised at the stark variation. Is the typical Switch display on the 'standard' or 'warm' side of things?

a few more at this link:

http://imgur.com/a/klBrE

rc213

At that price you might as well get the official Nintendo charger.

But as long as the cable is fine any decent USB-A charger (with 5V/2A or 2.4A) should work. That quick charge one won't charge any faster since the Switch doesn't support it (and in worst case scenario QC over USB-C is a bad thing if something goes wrong). If you want fast charging...the official one is the one to get, or something that can match the spec, but you'll pay more for other (good/safe) options at that power level afaik.

Pretty sure that won't work too well. You need a charger with USB-C PD not Quick Charge.

Check out the Pixel/XL charger, I grabbed an extra one from Best buy.

This has never happened with my Switch, but I have experienced close to what you're describing on my old 360. It was hooked up to a Dell Ultrasharp and turning the monitor off and on again fixed the tearing.

I don't think a powercycle will help as everything has been at least once.

I've had that happen before with other equipment. One time the connection was't that great between the device and the monitor. The second time, the cable was bad. IN both cases I had to replace the cable, because in the first instance the connector on one end was just bad.

Alright so it's probably a problem with my setup, I do have the switch going into an HDMI switch, so it could be a fault somewhere in the chain.

Thanks for the suggestions, dudes.

Cool. What does it play like? I was thinking of picking up the Jurassic park lego for xbox or ps4 but can't find it on sale!

It's an open world with a ton of things to do. I believe there's also like 15 or 16 story chapters that are long. If you haven't played Lego games they aren't very challenging but trying to find all the secrets and figuring out how to obtain gold bricks is fun. Watch a review of the wii u version. Also the switch version has co-op which the U version doesn't have.

The other Lego games like Jurassic world aren't comparable to undercover. You can tell they put a lot more time and energy into it.

It's an open world Lego game. Lots to explore, but don't do all of it at the beginning, as you will need special costumes unlocked through the story mode to access special areas.

The game is a gem of last gen. It's LOL funny too. You will laugh.

Minarik

So this is jarring. In the pic below, my launch unit from Amazon is up top. My buddy's unit - also from Amazon - just arrived today and is below. The picture speaks for itself.

N3Xq8hd.jpg

It's like there's some hidden setting where mine is set to "Standard" and his is set to "Warm 2." I obviously have no idea if this is true. I'm concerned that perhaps his unit's display is defective (or hell, maybe mine is)!

Pretty surprised at the stark variation. Is the typical Switch display on the 'standard' or 'warm' side of things?

a few more at this link:

I have two Switches in my household, and both are the same as the top one in your image. I think the "warm" one is either defective or improperly calibrated or something. Maybe Nintendo can patch in a calibration setting?

-shadow-

-snip-

As far as I know Nintendo doesn't actually calibrate the screens at all, so this happens very often. On the original DS models it was very normal to have two different shades and it was terrible. I recommend your friend trying to get a new one at a store. Because Nintendo as far as I know, will not replace the screen for this.

So I got my replacement set of amFilm screen protectors today after a botched attempt, but I noticed something weird. The dust removal stickers were not like the ones I previously got, which were little rectangular strips. Instead, I received what is pictured above. A bit confused, I went on with the process. When it came time to use the stickers, I peeled off the big one and went to town or I would have, had the sticker not left a big layer of adhesive on my screen. It was then I fully realized that these stickers might actually not be for the Switch's screen and for a glass screen instead. I got most of the residue off, but there is still a little crescent moon shaped bit left that just will not come off. God dammmit. I also have a small bubble in the bottom left of the screen that will just not go away, which is the exact problem I had before. I'm going to wait it out to see if it goes away. What I think is happening is that I'm not exactly perfect in terms of the placement of the protector and the tiniest bit is sort of on the raised edge where the screen meets the rest of the unit. I don't want to lift the protector to fix it because last time I tried that, the bubble went away, but I ended up cracking the corner of the protector. I am so bad at this, lol

Edit: About the bubble; it's gone! I used my shirt and fingernail to sort of lightly jab at the bubble and it went away. It looks beautiful now :D

essenn

N3Xq8hd.jpg

a few more at this link:

Mine is like the bottom one too. It sucks.

Oreoleo

I only play in undocked mode with the joycons separated (with a tablet holder in bed)... I thought the joycons would charge when I attach them to the Switch after I'm done playing for the day and leave it in sleep mode... But today I noticed what seems to be a bug with the joycons battery indicator, when I check it under "Controllers" on the home menu with them attached it shows full battery, but as soon as I detached them and checked it showed they had half a charge or so.

I'm letting them charge now (without the dock though; plugging the charger directly into the tablet).

On another note, where are the electrical contacts located on the joycons rails? I can't seem to find them by looking at the rails from all sides.

I think the joycons will not charge when the unit is in sleep mode and undocked like that? Not super sure about that.

The electrical contacts are on the bottom of the rail underneath the arrow guide. If you look at the right angle you can just barely see them. Took me so long to figure that out.

Arttemis

So I got my replacement set of amFilm screen protectors today after a botched attempt, but I noticed something weird. The dust removal stickers were not like the ones I previously got, which were little rectangular strips. Instead, I received what is pictured above. A bit confused, I went on with the process. When it came time to use the stickers, I peeled off the big one and went to town or I would have, had the sticker not left a big layer of adhesive on my screen. It was then I fully realized that these stickers might actually not be for the Switch's screen and for a glass screen instead. I got most of the residue off, but there is still a little crescent moon shaped bit left that just will not come off. God dammmit. I also have a small bubble in the bottom left of the screen that will just not go away, which is the exact problem I had before. I'm going to wait it out to see if it goes away. What I think is happening is that I'm not exactly perfect in terms of the placement of the protector and the tiniest bit is sort of on the raised edge where the screen meets the rest of the unit. I don't want to lift the protector to fix it because last time I tried that, the bubble went away, but I ended up cracking the corner of the protector. I am so bad at this, lol

Edit: About the bubble; it's gone! I used my shirt and fingernail to sort of lightly jab at the bubble and it went away. It looks beautiful now :D
Always give screen protectors a day of use before worrying about that annoying last bubble. They often work themselves out with heat and time (which is what happens when using the dock).

pgharavi

Banned
That just looks like the darker one has automatic screen brightness one. By toggling that setting I can make mine look like both of those...

I can confirm it does not; both have that setting off. Already toggled off and on (and off and on). fwiw, the effect you are talking about doesn't seem as pronounced on the Switch as it does on my New 3DS.

In any event, I called Nintendo and they want me to send it in.

This thing hasn't even been fully unpacked from Amazon. Sigh.

:(

majik13

N3Xq8hd.jpg

a few more at this link:

yeah like superstu64 said, have you tried adjusting the automatic screen brightness setting that's in the quick menu? Or maybe a hidden power saving setting? I recall the 3DS possibly tinting when using the power saving setting. Not sure if the Switch has anything similar or not.

Firebrand

N3Xq8hd.jpg

a few more at this link:

The yellow screen lottery has unfortunately been a thing since at least the DS, I don't know if they're different display manufacturers or just crappy calibration. Either way, bad QA imo.

Here's something you can try to get more frustrated: Find something with a medium grey value, preferrably where you can move the camera (fog or bad weather in Zelda is good, if you have it on a game card you can swap) and see which one, if either, exhibits a scanline-like effect where every other line looks slightly fainter. It's about the only negative one I've experienced with my unit and I wonder if it's a calibration thing or tied to the display model.

I've been corresponding with another GAFfer about this user and IIRC his yellower didn't have it, while the cooler one did.

I *finally* got my import copy of I Am Setsuna today

And I ordered a copy of BoI from US Amazon because who knows when that's going to be released in EU/AU

The Switch does region free better than any other system. It's pretty amazing

ZZMitch

Have any of you used the pro controller charging cable to charge the Switch? I am taking my Switch with me on a trip tomorrow and wonder if that will work or if I should just bring the AC adapter.

Nintendo eShop on all regions went down earlier and now it's up. There's a "Bestseller" section now, showing the top 15 most downloaded/purchased over the past two weeks.

vVjOhpdl.jpg

"Recent Releases" section shows the 24 most recent titles. Still doesn't cover all the current 28 titles available.

The UK "Coming Soon" section of the eShop has more titles shown than the US eShop, namely: Jackbox Party Pack 3, Samurai Shodown IV, Wonderboy The Dragon Trap, ....although Splatoon 2 and ARMS is marked as TBD. The Japanese eShop's "Coming Soon" section only has two.

linkboy

Have any of you used the pro controller charging cable to charge the Switch? I am taking my Switch with me on a trip tomorrow and wonder if that will work or if I should just bring the AC adapter.

The cord will work, it'll just charge slower.

The faster charge speeds that USB-PD provides doesn't work with USB-C to USB-A cables, just USB-C to USB-C cables (or compatible wall chargers like the official adapter).

Yes, it works, albeit charging at a much slower rate than a USB-C-to-USB-C cable via USB PD.

Persona7

Banned
Playing a Japanese retail game on an english account just defaults everything to english seamlessly. It's not like it was *that* difficult to go through the options and find different languages, but it just makes it so approachable

I only had a few import games but how does this compare to the PS3?

Iced

I returned a Switch this past weekend because of the screen quality. I compared it to a friend's and mine was far lesser quality (it also had a dead pixel). I have another one arriving tomorrow. Hope I win the lottery. I go through this with every Nintendo handheld.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom