• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

-shadow-

Just Dance demo is available on EU eShop. Got mine from UK eShop.

kC5nZC2l.jpg

Just one song, that dumb Naenae song.
Do the demos still have limits?

GDGF

Soothsayer
On the bus right now and a dude across from me is playing 3DS. Kind of want to pull out my Switch, but I feel like it would be bragging.

Received my Orzly glass screen cover and case today.

Both are neat, screen protector was easy to put. It's just a little smaller than the screen, but that might be because manufactural variances (tolerances etc.). It looks fine though, I placed it so it is even in every side.

That Orzly is thinner than the amfilm one, and still it feels pretty high! Of course I will get used to it.

The case is nice, has space for eight games and a little pocket. It also has a padded cover for the screen, so games and the stuff you keep in the pocket won't meddle with your screen. It is pretty sturdy and feels nice. Zippers move easily and look sturdy.

I ordered those from Amazon France, and can heartily recommend them both to everyone. You can't get amfilm ones from Europe, it seems (I think they was sold out or flat out couldn't find, don't remember).

big_erk

Managed to get a Best Buy in store pickup for a Pro Controller today. Feels good man.

I hemmed and hawed through 2 Pro Controller restocks at various stores and when I finally said "OK, time to pull the trigger" there are no Pro Controllers to be found.

Neoxon

Which case would you guys recommend, the official carrying case or the hard case that's being sold at Target (both are $20).

shiftplays

Neo Member
Received my Switch last night with BotW. First Nintendo console since the NES so I'm excited to see what the VC brings.

Planning on getting Snipperclips to play with my wife. Are there any other good coop games we should look into? Puzzle games would be best. We imported Puyo Puyo Tetris on PS4 and did enjoy it. She gets motion sickness with most racing games so Mario Kart may not work for us.

Funny moment: As I was showing her the system and viewing options/control methods, she said "Oh it's like a Gameboy."

hoserx

Received my Switch last night with BotW. First Nintendo console since the NES so I'm excited to see what the VC brings.

Planning on getting Snipperclips to play with my wife. Are there any other good coop games we should look into? Puzzle games would be best. We imported Puyo Puyo Tetris on PS4 and did enjoy it. She gets motion sickness with most racing games so Mario Kart may not work for us.

Funny moment: As I was showing her the system and viewing options/control methods, she said "Oh it's like a Gameboy."

My girlfriend has played minimal amounts of video games, but we really enjoyed playing shock troopers together. Pump up the continues and just barrel through it with her. You might have fun!

jts

...hate me...
That is awesome. Heh.

I have another dumb question (I am so full of them right now). Do we need a Ethernet adapter?

Depends on 2 factors:

How much you enjoy playing online (ex: Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8).
Does the Switch play nicely with your Wi-Fi network.

Personally I use my old Wii/U ethernet adapter and it's great. But then again I think any device that is stationary and can be plugged via ethernet (in this case, the dock) should be plugged via ethernet. Wi-fi is for portable devices and situations when ethernet isn't convenient to use. Also, should be cheap to get an adapter that works for it.

Also I like the way that the Switch seamlessly switches between ethernet and Wi-Fi when you dock and undock it.

ParityBit

Depends on 2 factors:

How much you enjoy playing online (ex: Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8).
Does the Switch play nicely with your Wi-Fi network.

Personally I use my old Wii/U ethernet adapter and it's great. But then again I think any device that is stationary and can be plugged via ethernet (in this case, the dock) should be plugged via ethernet. Wi-fi is for portable devices and situations when ethernet isn't convenient to use. Also, should be cheap to get an adapter that works for it.

Also I like the way that the Switch seamlessly switches between ethernet and Wi-Fi when you dock and undock it.

I agree. I have Wifi but I need to reboot and see if things work better. I have yet to try the dock, I am assuming that it has network connections to just plug into right?

jts

...hate me...
I agree. I have Wifi but I need to reboot and see if things work better. I have yet to try the dock, I am assuming that it has network connections to just plug into right?
Oh no. The only connections on the dock are USB and HDMI. That's where you need the ethernet adapter, you plug it to the dock.

Tubie

So a month after launch, and I just snagged me a Pro Controller.

59Dv9Vb.jpg

My nearest GameStop had one left in stock.

Love it!

Playing Zelda and FAST RMX feels so much better than with the JoyCons.

Grats!

My order from Amazon from last week still hasn't shipped :(

Had a strange thing happen with Zelda the other day. Playing in docked mode, probably for around 2 hours when I decided to stop playing. I saved, and then hit the home button...but nothing happened, same with the screen shot button. Zelda was still running fine though.

I took the console out of docked mode and it felt a little warm, I held the power button for a bit and it finally turned off and restarted. Not even sure what happened there, has this happened to anyone else?

I would think the heat maybe caused something but I assume that means the game would have crashed as well.

gweemz

Just want to say that my girlfriend, who only realy plays Mario Kart and Marío Party, loves Snipperclips. It's a great co op game.

Had a strange thing happen with Zelda the other day. Playing in docked mode, probably for around 2 hours when I decided to stop playing. I saved, and then hit the home button...but nothing happened, same with the screen shot button. Zelda was still running fine though.

I took the console out of docked mode and it felt a little warm, I held the power button for a bit and it finally turned off and restarted. Not even sure what happened there, has this happened to anyone else?

I would think the heat maybe caused something but I assume that means the game would have crashed as well.

This happened to me a couple of days ago. Same exact thing. I asked here but no one else besides you has described a similar situation.

I could only turn off the console by holding the power button on the Switch itself.

This happened after the patch, by the way.

TAS

Yep. The problem is that is either sold out,or at higher prices right now. Amazon ships it in 1-2 months.

Has anyone tried ordering it from Amazon Japan? I'm sure it would get here much faster lol. Shipping costs would ruin it tho. I'm pissed because I had pre-ordered mine for launch and I never got it. When I complained, they knocked off $10 but I'm still waiting. :/

This happened to me a couple of days ago. Same exact thing. I asked here but no one else besides you has described a similar situation.

I could only turn off the console by holding the power button on the Switch itself.

This happened after the patch, by the way.

Wonder if it's something to do with the patch. I was worried my console was overheating so at least I am not the only person to have this happen.

Tubie

The case, 128gb sd card, and amFilm glass screen protector I ordered all finally arrived today.

My Switch is almost complete, just need Amazon to ship my Pro Controller.

So, I was set on digital only for Nintendo first party games but damn if I don't can't help but admire the physical cases for Zelda and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Sigh.

Pastry

Banned
I've found myself really wanting a big budget RPG, kind of bummed that there is nothing like that in the near future.

Fortunately Puyo Puyo Tetris is out in a couple of weeks.

jts

...hate me...
Anyone else observing that there isn't a second shipment of Nintendo's official case for the Switch?

It's still sold out everywhere I look in europe, except for actually 3-4 stores in the country where I live (stores from a big chain, in small towns) but still too far to be worth going there. Unfortunately that chain doesn't ship local stock either.

Really wanted that case. A month has passed and I'm still caseless.

dmcAxle

Neo Member
Got my screen protector and case today, so I can finally feel more comfortable taking it around with me.

Next up, finding a pro controller in stock =l Seems stock is super low in Canada or something

So, I was set on digital only for Nintendo first party games but damn if I don't can't help but admire the physical cases for Zelda and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Sigh.

Been struggling with this myself lol. The fact that I get 20 % off with GCU makes it even harder to go to digital when physical is an option, even though I much prefer the convenience of digital.

Steam has spoiled me rotten.

forrest

formerly nacire
So a month after launch, and I just snagged me a Pro Controller.

59Dv9Vb.jpg

My nearest GameStop had one left in stock.

Love it!

Playing Zelda and FAST RMX feels so much better than with the JoyCons.

Amen.

Congrats on your Pro Controller. I would be pretty disappointed in my Switch without it.

F34R

On the bus right now and a dude across from me is playing 3DS. Kind of want to pull out my Switch, but I feel like it would be bragging.

I was at Nashi-con this weekend in Columbia SC. While my kid were doing their thing, I sat on a seat and played Zelda on the Switch. I had a few dozen people come up to me and either tell me how awesome it looked, or asking me what system was it lol.

Yep. The problem is that is either sold out,or at higher prices right now. Amazon ships it in 1-2 months.

That's how it was for the pro controller. I went ahead and ordered it anyways, and got an email a couple days ago saying that instead of being June 1 ship date, it'll be here Apr. 5 (tomorrow).

I say, go ahead and order, and if you get it somewhere else earlier, you can always cancel the order from Amz. Otherwise, keep the Amz order and hope for the best.

Tubie

Was able to perfectly apply the amFilm screen protector on my first try.

Did it in the bathroom with the hot shower running cause a lot of people recommended doing that, and it worked like a charm, no dust or bubbles under the glass protector at all.

Alchemy

Am I the only person going Joycons only with their Switch? I honestly really like them in the grip, and picking up a second set of Joycons is more flexible since I can do 2 player with traditional style controls or 4 player with the teeny joycon mode. Also got Neons to cover up my Gray Switch shame while in portable mode. Just waiting on my charging grip to arrive and then I'm probably not getting any more Switch accessories for a while.

Ponn

Banned
Is Shovel Knight Treasure Trove on Switch good? Worth the $25 or better to wait for sale? I already have the og Shovel Knight on Vita that I never got around to playing because of backlog but i'm more likely to play it on Switch because of the newness and lack of other games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom