• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drewfonse

This has probably been answered a million times, but I just got my Switch, and I'm confused by how to charge it, other than having it docked.

My pro controller came with a USB cable that allowed me to plug the Switch into my cel charger. The little lightning bolt symbol came on, so I thought it was charging. Left it in sleep mode overnight, but it had less of a charge than when it started when I woke up. I clearly am doing something wrong. What do I need to charge my Switch out of dock??

Thanks!

This has probably been answered a million times, but I just got my Switch, and I'm confused by how to charge it, other than having it docked.

My pro controller came with a USB cable that allowed me to plug the Switch into my cel charger. The little lightning bolt symbol came on, so I thought it was charging. Left it in sleep mode overnight, but it had less of a charge than when it started when I woke up. I clearly am doing something wrong. What do I need to charge my Switch out of dock??

Thanks!
USB-C cable. The dock itself is basically just a way to neatly house cables. If you want to charge it without being docked you can either connect the USB-C and wall adapter right into the switch itself or leave it connected to the dock and buy another to charge the switch via outlets.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Thanks!

Use a USB-C cable with something capable of outputting more wattage than a regular cell-phone charger.

Drewfonse

USB-C cable. The dock itself is basically just a way to neatly house cables. If you want to charge it without being docked you can either connect the USB-C and wall adapter right into the switch itself or leave it connected to the dock and buy another to charge the switch via outlets.

Use a USB-C cable with something capable of outputting more wattage than a regular cell-phone charger.

Got it. I guess I have the proper cable but not the proper charger. Thanks. Any guideline that I should look for on Amazon for a USB C charger? Thanks again.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Got it. I guess I have the proper cable but not the proper charger. Thanks. Any guideline that I should look for on Amazon for a USB C charger? Thanks again.

I don't know the specifics, but just to warn you: be careful. Not all USB-C cables are USB-C compliant, which means you can fry your device if you don't get a good cable. Other GAFfers will be able to tell you what you should get. Sorry I can't help you further.

Just don't buy the first thing you see.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I should get my joycons replaced. Now I bought a pro controller we're playing mainly on the TV, and during hebschool holidays I won't be able to bring it to work so it seems the ideal time.

Will Nintendo UK swap both joycons without sending the whole thing in? Both have issues with signal loss/desync after a couple of hours disconnected from the switch (maybe battery life related?)

Drewfonse

I don't know the specifics, but just to warn you: be careful. Not all USB-C cables are USB-C compliant, which means you can fry your device if you don't get a good cable. Other GAFfers will be able to tell you what you should get. Sorry I can't help you further.

Just don't buy the first thing you see.

Wow. I don't realize it would be this complicated. Amazon has a ton of USB C chargers for sale, but I guess I'll wait and research it.

maxmars

What do you plan on purchasing for your switch next?

Next two games are:

-Graceful explosion digital (tomorrow!)
-MK 8 Deluxe Physical (two copies: we have two Switch at home)

Also a second cover, the boring Nintendo one. If only I could find it anywhere at list price.

Persona7

Banned
I don't understand why brickseek is extremely reliable for literally every item except switch hardware at walmart...The pro controller my friend bought literally updated in real time on brickseek yet the neon unit still shows nine despite only two being available.

daxy

What is this witchcraft? I turn off my Switch (portable mode) when it's at, let's say, 40 percent charge or something. Turn it back on an hour or two later an its charge is at 50 percent? I've had this happen several times and I don't get it. Are my joycons charging the Switch while it's off or something?

spekkeh

Banned
What is this witchcraft? I turn off my Switch (portable mode) when it's at, let's say, 40 percent charge or something. Turn it back on an hour or two later an its charge is at 50 percent? I've had this happen several times and I don't get it. Are my joycons charging the Switch while it's off or something?
Yes.

M-PG71C

For the next two months, I'll pick-up MK8D and Street Fighter 2. That will work just fine for me. I'll get Puyo Puyo later (like June) since I also have FE coming out on the 3DS at that time.

Vibed

I wanna put on the AmFilm protector, but I'm wary of messing up, especially since the plastic one I have on it is doing not too bad.

Wonder Boy looks boring tbh (and this is coming from somebody for whom the original was one of their first ever games!) but after seeing the eShop screenshots I have to say it looks absolutely amazing on the Switch screen.

T.A.L

I'm beyond frustrated. Got surprised with a switch. Didn't get a game with it and we are under severe weather in my area so I bought breath of the wild digitally. That was 10 hours ago. The game hasn't downloaded yet.

Error after error. Got to 25% once then an error occurred and the whole download disappeared.

Found this release date on Amazon Canada app. It is a Friday so maybe it's real
KJ4p6zb.png

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I usually have to press the Pro Controller's home button twice for it to turn on my Switch.

Are you pressing or holding down? I hold it down for a couple seconds until the controller vibrates and have never yet had to do it a second time to turn the console on.

Arttemis

I'm beyond frustrated. Got surprised with a switch. Didn't get a game with it and we are under severe weather in my area so I bought breath of the wild digitally. That was 10 hours ago. The game hasn't downloaded yet.

Error after error. Got to 25% once then an error occurred and the whole download disappeared.

Weird. I bought BotW digitally, but didn't experience any issues. I purchased it at night, went to bed, and the next afternoon, it was ready to play.

I heard the Switch has weak wifi capability. Have you tried taking it out of the dock, putting it somewhere with better reception, and letting it download (probably should plug it in to a charger) that way?

Are you pressing or holding down? I hold it down for a couple seconds until the controller vibrates and have never yet had to do it a second time to turn the console on.

I press the button, notice the lights start flashing at the base of the Pro Controller. Sometimes it turns on the console, sometimes I have to try a second time for it to turn on.

LordKano

Man, I got my glass tempered Switch screen protector, applied it and it feels so good now. I'm no longer scared to use the touchscreen and it's so smooth. It's unnoticeable when you play undocked.

Just need to pick my second AC Adapter and I'm good with accessories, at least for now.

Man, I got my glass tempered Switch screen protector, applied it and it feels so good now. I'm no longer scared to use the touchscreen and it's so smooth. It's unnoticeable when you play undocked.

Just need to pick my second AC Adapter and I'm good with accessories, at least for now.
In reference to the bolded, is it harder to seat the device into the dock with the screen protector applied?

Craft

Tried changing channels on the WIFI, switching for 2G to 5G, are there many WIFI signals in your area?
Tried setting a fixed IP or using a Google DNS?

If you've got a Wii/Wii U LAN adaptor use that if possible the download will go a bit faster, and it'll eliminate any possible WIFI issues.

Why not buy something smaller like snipperclips or snake to play in the mean time whilst you wait?

AbaFadi

Banned
Do you guys keep your switch docked when you aren't playing it? I'm not sure if I should remove the switch from the dock when I'm not using it as I am hearing mixed things about damaging the battery overtime by leaving it docked. Also I saw an article about the switch bending from the heat when keeping it docked, has that been discussed here?

Blues1990

Interested in USF2

I already have MK8 and Puyo Tetris on other systems.

I'm planning on purchasing the following:

-A USB Type-C Charging Cable (6ft? Haven't decided on the length just yet).
-A Power Bank battery pack.
-An Anker wall unit.
-A Micro SD Memory Card.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is already paid in full, but I'm unsure about what other software I should pick up. :/

T.A.L

Tried changing channels on the WIFI, switching for 2G to 5G, are there many WIFI signals in your area?
Tried setting a fixed IP or using a Google DNS?

If you've got a Wii/Wii U LAN adaptor use that if possible the download will go a bit faster, and it'll eliminate any possible WIFI issues.

Why not buy something smaller like snipperclips or snake to play in the mean time whilst you wait?

There is only Zelda for me lol. But seriously I had downloaded the snipperclips demo just fine. I noticed I had issues watching trailers first but I did the hard reset thing and it worked for a while until I started downloading BOTW. I've had to reset my unit like 10 times.

I'll get to switching channels when I figure out how to do that.

Letep

Hi. What's the best USB-C cable to use for charging on the go? Although unhooking the A/C adapter and bringing it along isn't too difficult, I'd rather keep one in my bag.

I plan on getting:
another set of Joy-Cons
Guardian and Zelda amiibo
Possibly Isaac

I will eventually need another Switch game and I don't really want to double dip on Mario Kart 8 right now.

Jarsonot

Love the switch so far, some thoughts:

I wish Nintendo would build in cartridge storage into the actual unit next time. The carts are really small so room for 3 or so wouldn't be that much to ask. =) It would be great to grab your switch and have your 4 favorite games handy without needing a case.

(I try to buy everything digitally but I know a lot of people like the physical copies.)

Also, I have to enter my Eshop password every time I enter the eshop. Sometimes I just want to see what's available, or look at a trailer. It would be nice if I could browse the shop for free, only needing a password for purchases.

A system-wide notes feature would be great, too. Lots of times in Zelda I've wanted to make notes of places to check out, recipes, ideas to try later, etc. Screenshots can help with some of that, but not all. The 3DS had a notes feature so I expect they'll add it eventually (OS is pretty barebones at launch).

As a busy dad who can't put uninterrupted hours into a game anymore, the switch is great for being able to squeeze gaming in here and there. And Zelda is amazing.

After having my own Switch for a few days now, I have a few critiques I'd like to share that I'm sure I'm not the first to make.

- I would have preferred some kind of light or indicator that my Switch is or isn't charging when plugged or docked.

- A kick stand doesn't put the Switch at a good enough angle to be feasible for me.

- The headphone jack should be at the bottom of the switch.

- The eshop is a joke to look at and use.

- My friends list shouldn't be a few menu choices deep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom