• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peltz

If you set the TV output to 720p and play Zelda docked on a 720p display, the game would downsample from 900p, right? Wouldn't that effectively add a form of anti-aliasing?

I've been curious about seeing if Zelda looks appreciably better in docked mode (not only does it render at higher resolution but I think it also has higher setting for texture filtering​ if I remember reading correctly), but I don't have a TV and I hated how it looked on my PC monitor (I think it's my monitor's fault)... Then just now it occurred to me that I have the Sony HMZ-T1 head-mounted display that I never use, and I'm very interested to hook the Switch to it and try Zelda and Fast RMX. I'm curious how that would look docked on the native 720p displays, with OLED black levels and simulated large screen. I doubt it will dethrone my preferred​ method of playing in bed with the tablet holder overhead, if only for the comfort level alone, but the HMZ could offer a nice diversion every once in a while. Can't wait to try it but don't think I'll have the time before Friday.

Zelda does look noticeably better in 900p. But I have not tried setting my switch to 720p or anything.

Minarik

Since people liked the white, here is the other Switch I did for my girlfriend. She wanted to be more unique than I did with the clean look.

7BVYSDyh.jpg

Fuze9lHh.jpg

It's super easy to do, and it's a good alternative to waiting for Nintendo to release more colors.

NimbusD

Wound up picking up Bomberman since best buy had it 10 off plus gcu made it 30 bucks. Woulda got it all along at that price point.

Moreche

If I set the switch to display 720p in docked mode, does this mean the game is rendered at 720p and make the switch work less?

If I set the switch to display 720p in docked mode, does this mean the game is rendered at 720p and make the switch work less?

No. DF did a test like this in regards to Zelda, and it made zero difference in performance or power usage. Only difference was the image quality.

So is the only way to check if your joycons need repair to do the calibration thing behind your back? Or is there a list somewhere of serial numbers that are unaffected? Got my Switch and a spare pair of neon joycons this week.

Not been following it super closely but from what I can tell the serial numbers didn't necessarily mean anything. I got mine last week, held the left one behind my back then just slowly walked backwards pressing buttons on the calibrate screen to check when it dropped. Had to basically leave the room so was happy and called it a day

Since people liked the white, here is the other Switch I did for my girlfriend. She wanted to be more unique than I did with the clean look.

7BVYSDyh.jpg

Fuze9lHh.jpg

It's super easy to do, and it's a good alternative to waiting for Nintendo to release more colors.

Those look awesome! I was wanting to the same with my red or blue pair. what grain sandpaper did you use? And did you disassemble the joycons to get the plates by themelves?

Persona7

Banned
Anyone get a pro controller with two wafer seals on the packaging? The deal under looks like it split and another was placed over.

Can't determine if it was opened and returned.

Minarik

Those look awesome! I was wanting to the same with my red or blue pair. what grain sandpaper did you use? And did you disassemble the joycons to get the plates by themelves?

I used 400 grit paper, started off dry and then wet sanded. It doesn't take much, and you'll see the outer coating come off. I did disassemble them. It's pretty simple, as all the buttons can only go back in one way, etc.

Arttemis

Has there been any official or third party talk about different sized Joycons? I'd really want to buy a set (or couple sets) of much larger, more ergonomic devices that essentially resemble the Pro Controller cut in half (with slight adjustments) that still feature the rail to fit into the Switch.

Do you guys keep your switch docked when you aren't playing it? I'm not sure if I should remove the switch from the dock when I'm not using it as I am hearing mixed things about damaging the battery overtime by leaving it docked. Also I saw an article about the switch bending from the heat when keeping it docked, has that been discussed here?

I bought a HORI Stand ($13) and put it on there when I'm not playing Docked.

Borman

Managed to find a set of red joy-cons in Best Buy! Get it home, only the right side in the box. Someone wanted a red set. Scummy.

After sanding them a bit, I used Montana Gold in Shock White, then about 4 coats of the Montana Matte Varnish. The feel is very close to the stock plastic feel.

Nice, thanks. Now to decide on a color. Thinking on a regal purple or Lime Green for myself ;)

Good luck with the return...cripes.

Should be no problem as store should have on record that item they sold him was already returned. As the most recent buyer, Borman would not have known that.

Minarik

Nice, thanks. Now to decide on a color. Thinking on a regal purple or Lime Green for myself ;)

It's a little pricey, but the best spray paint is Montana Goldin my opinion. You can see all the colors on that site. Get a can of the color you want and some of the matte varnish spray to protect it, and it will feel like it came from the factory that way. No stores around me carried it, so I ordered from dickblick.com.

The Montana site will give the RGB for each color and you can plug it in here to see how it looks: http://divanquest.com/joycon/

Futureman

7BVYSDyh.jpg

Fuze9lHh.jpg

This is great. What kind of paint? Any tips? I want that exact color.

Minarik

This is great. What kind of paint? Any tips? I want that exact color.

I have a few posts before this detailing, but I used 400 grit paper, wet sanded, and used Montana Gold paint with the Montana matte varnish. I posted links and stuff, and this particular color is "Banana Joe."

Charadis

Wound up picking up Bomberman since best buy had it 10 off plus gcu made it 30 bucks. Woulda got it all along at that price point.

WHOA, a Switch game already on sale???? Sweet, it's only been a month and retailers here are still having difficulty keeping the system in stock for long! Thought something else, like 1 2 Switch or Just Dance might go on sale first.

Sooooo glad I waited! May have to drop by Best Buy this afternoon (((:)

Apt101

My final take:

- NeoCon edition
- Snipper Clips
- Has-Been Heroes (physical)
- Zelda (physical) + hardcover game guide
- A deluxe Zelda-themed case I am not keen on. I was told it would be black with a little red trimming. It has a lot of gawdy, neon blue on it. I'm going to replace it whenever I see a deluxe case with a plain exterior
- Extra power adapter
- Pro controller

Whenever I see a good deal I'll get some storage for it, but I'm good for now. I don't see myself going heavily digital with this thing, at least not anytime soon.

Please add me to your friends list:

SW-3845-2101-2917

I've already got Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Splatoon 2 preordered!

I can't remember if the switch is like the other Nintendo systems where I need your code too. If so, please let me know if you add me and I'll enter your information too.

Thanks guys!

I just got my Switch from Prime Now in LA County just now (might still be up if you live here and don't have a Switch.)

The issues with my launch console (sold to a friend for retail price as he was desperate for one) seem to be fixed. No more desyncs. Seems to look very well constructed, no screen issues. Now I just need to wait for Zelda to download. I got the pro controller, and I am impressed. I'll do the bend test thing in a little bit to see if it's fine out of box.

I just noticed that my battery charger seems to be compatible, but could I damage the system somehow? This is my first USB-C device, and it would be great if I didn't have to buy a new battery bank for it.

So I thought there was something wrong with the battery installed inside my Switch because I was getting the final low battery notification 45 mins into a full charge playing Zelda in portable mode.

Turns out my battery is just fine, the culprit lies within the OS somewhere.

If anyone is experiencing similar issues here's what you need to do:

-Charge your system to 100% and put it in sleep mode until you have around 3 hours to spare
-Play a game of your choice, preferably Zelda for 3 hours straight

Don't worry about the low battery notification, carry on playing even if it warns you of saving before it turns off. The Switch won't turn off 45 mins, an hour, 90 mins, 2 hours or even 150 mins into a full charge playing Zelda on 50% brightness and volume with wifi turned on.

Once you have done that and completely charged it again, the battery indicator should be fixed.

T.A.L

Had to leave the system docked to get BOTW to download . It got to 97% and stopped but I did a quick restart and it worked. Enjoying it so far. I know now I won't download any digital titles. That wifi is too iffy.

ParityBit

So I have read various reports about what wall charger to get. Some work and some don't. Anyone have an Amazon link to one which works? I know a couple other people have asked here also.

Does anyone know if Pro Controllers are tracked by serial number?
Nothing on the box or anything but each pro controller does have its own internal serial number
Edit maybe it doesn't. Maybe it's just the Joycon. I know the Joycon serial numbers are listed under serial information in settings.

Nesther

I just fixed the Joy-Con wobble that I've been experiencing on both sides. Just take the Joy-Cons off and apply 1-3 small squares of electric tape (less than 1x1cm) to the bottom of the rails of your tablet, and damn this thing feels rock solid now! I've had some annoying wobbling when in handheld mode, that I first thought was normal, but seems like this is an easy fix that makes the experience much better.

This is the second fix I applied to my Switch, the other one being scratch prevention on my dock by taping the insides with electric tape. I don't even mind having to do all this DIY stuff, it's kinda satisfying, haha.

Reminds me of my n3DS I got a few months, had this annoying plastic creaking in the back, so I had to remove the backplate and tape around the battery.

tl;dr: electric tape is the GOAT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom