• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you plan on purchasing for your switch next?

For me I'm planning to get:

-Waterfield case
-Graceful explosion digital
-MK 8 Deluxe Physical
-Puyo Puyo Physical

My Pro Controller is on its way. I already have Zelda and Shovel Knight

As it stands now my next purchase is probably Mario Odyssey...Lol

Really hoping for some good announcements at E3

Futureman

Is the fastest way to change brightness to hit the home button, settings, go to brightness and adjust? It's decently fast this way as suspending a game is snappy, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing some quick controls feature.

I finally feel like I'm done with Zelda for now. Beat the game with all divine beasts and then went back to finish all the shrines. I also beat Shovel Knight and Specter of Torment, and I'm currently playing Snake Pass here and there. My next game will most likely be Mario Kart!

I'm amazed that I've played Switch primarily in handheld mode. I generally use my PS4/Xbox for games and streaming services, so I guess I'm just not inclined to turn one of them off just to play Switch on a bigger screen. As a result, I actually returned my Pro Controller right before my exchange period was up. I was so set on buying one and then used it for maybe one hour total within the first month.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
There is only Zelda for me lol. But seriously I had downloaded the snipperclips demo just fine. I noticed I had issues watching trailers first but I did the hard reset thing and it worked for a while until I started downloading BOTW. I've had to reset my unit like 10 times.

I'll get to switching channels when I figure out how to do that.

Just to be clear: he's not just talking about changing WiFi channels, but going from dualband (2.4 + 5GHz) to single-band 5 GHz if your internet box/router allows it. If you can, keep your current WiFi network as is, but in single band 2.4GHz, and create a new one with a similar SSID in 5GHz only. Just add "_5GHz" after the SSID to differentiate the two.

It should do wonders for your speeds and stability, unless your box is far away. 5GHz has less range than 2.4GHz, but a stronger/less cluttered signal.

jts

...hate me...
Why? All my other devices have the headphone jack at the bottom. Just seems right.
It's better for handheld devices, but with the Switch you need to consider kickstand mode (some people use it, with the native and other kickstands - although with the Hori kind a jack on the bottom would still work), and docked mode, in which the headphone jack still works and can be pretty useful.

These are usually not problems for mobile devices.

My daughters left joycon has the signal connection issue, so in case my switches left joycon did as well, I preemptively purchased an HDMI Cable to run along my base board, behind my couch and to my end table which is maybe 3 feet away from my recliner and love seat (where I game the most). No worry about disconnections for me, plus it seems cool having my Switch dock not on my entertainment center.

Anyone else keep hitting the screenshot button instead of the minus with the pro controller? I keep having to go in and delete photos of random things with Zelda :p

It's better for handheld devices, but with the Switch you need to consider kickstand mode (some people use it, with the native and other kickstands - although with the Hori kind a jack on the bottom would still work), and docked mode, in which the headphone jack still works and can be pretty useful.

These are usually not problems for mobile devices.

You're right. I wrote off kickstand mode, as I think the angle is just trash. But you do make sense.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
The joycon issues (on both my left and right ones) have kind of cooled me on Switch excitement at the moment. I'll have to find the time to call up Nintendo to get a label and mailing instructions sometime this weekend.

Now that I'm "finished" with Zelda it'll probably collect dust for a month or two until Sonic Mania or Splatoon 2 rolls around, whichever does first. I do want Binding of Isaac, and I may grab that once I get some reward dollars to spend, but otherwise there isn't much else at retail I want to pick up at the moment.

I do eventually want to pick Super Bomberman as well, but I'm waiting for a sale of some kind before jumping in on that one. I considered picking up Fast RMX, Shovel Knight, Lego City Undercover and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, but after setting up my Wii U in my TV Stand last weekend I realized I already have access to all of those titles and there wasn't a need to be paying for them again.

Edit: Has Nicalis said how long the manual and stickers will be shipped with BoI? I'd rather not miss out on those if possible.

Jarsonot

Pretty sure there's an option for this.

You cant set a password on checkout. Only to skip password prompt on the app launch

And that's specifically what they're asking

I'd like to password protect purchases, and purchases only. I don't want to have to enter a password just to browse the shop. So I don't want to skip the password on launch if that means no password at all. It's not a big deal, but I consider it poor design as it's an impediment to browsing the shop.

Vaev

Nice. That sounds like a plus, honestly.

OK now I'm curious about the brands of screen protectors each of you own. Are either the Anfilm one?

I got the amFilm one, love it. I also rock a Zelda printed docksock on my dock, and it's snug, but not uncomfortably so, the screen protector doesn't feel like it's being stressed at all. I find it helps guide it more accurately to the pin seating

T.A.L

Just to be clear: he's not just talking about changing WiFi channels, but going from dualband (2.4 + 5GHz) to single-band 5 GHz if your internet box/router allows it. If you can, keep your current WiFi network as is, but in single band 2.4GHz, and create a new one with a similar SSID in 5GHz only. Just add "_5GHz" after the SSID to differentiate the two.

It should do wonders for your speeds and stability, unless your box is far away. 5GHz has less range than 2.4GHz, but a stronger/less cluttered signal.

I follow. I was pursuing doing this but Mediacom has made it damn near impossible to get into this router without calling them and I have no wish to do so. The game is downloading for the moment and I haven't had an issue in the last hour which is better than it was. Maybe it will download. I do wish I could get the 5g going because I would have more confidence if the download speed was faster.

fernoca

Seems the copies of Binding of Isaac Amazon is sending are already missing the booklet and stickers. So word of warning to those ordering from them. 1 star reviews are hitting too. :p

Seems the copies of Binding of Isaac Amazon is sending are already missing the booklet and stickers. So word of warning to those ordering from them. 1 star reviews are hitting too. :p
Bummer. I don't care much about the stickers, but this manual is awesome. I read the whole thing before even trying the game :p sucks that ppl getting the physical version will miss out on it.

Vaev

Yeah I saw that yesterday, which sucks.. Amazon should get on that before it taints the game's score further.

I bought mine at Best Buy, full sealed and intact.

Minarik

I painted my Joycons out of boredom.

CHafqPeh.jpg

Here's the album.

Seik

Banned
Just bought Lego City and a Pro Controller (finally...)

180$CAD....oof! Should be good until MK8 at this point.

Minarik

Aw, good job :eek:

but... have u disassemble them to paint?

Yes, you have to disassemble them. The only thing I didn't remove was the trigger, so I taped over them. They are isolated anyway from the front and back of the case. The left one is really easy to take apart, the right one is a little annoying because of the IR camera and amiibo crap.

Really stupid question.

do I need a memory stick or is 32 enough? I plan to play mostly physical media.

I think it's enough right now, but I got a 128 GB micro SD card just in case. Yeah I bought Zelda physical also, but some games in the future might warrant a digital purchase. You can hold off buying it for now.

Yes, you have to disassemble them. The only thing I didn't remove was the trigger, so I taped over them. They are isolated anyway from the front and back of the case. The left one is really easy to take apart, the right one is a little annoying because of the IR camera and amiibo crap.

What paint did you use?

0racle

I think it's enough right now, but I got a 128 GB micro SD card just in case. Yeah I bought Zelda physical also, but some games in the future might warrant a digital purchase. You can hold off buying it for now.

Just grab one when space becomes an issue. For me, that will probably be in a year or two, since I usually buy physical as well.

Thanks, I assume saves wont take up much space. As long as im mostly physical I should have zero problems? Is it easy to copy saves as downloaded games back and forth to SD cards?

Unai

Thanks, I assume saves wont take up much space. As long as im mostly physical I should have zero problems? Is it easy to copy saves as downloaded games back and forth to SD cards?

You need space for saves, DLCs and patches. You can't copy saves as of now.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I press the button, notice the lights start flashing at the base of the Pro Controller. Sometimes it turns on the console, sometimes I have to try a second time for it to turn on.

Try holding until you feel it vibrate going forward and see if that makes a difference. I don't know if that's it, or just coincidental, but I never have to do it twice.

Do you guys think Nintendo will make a left joy con that has a d-pad on it and a right joy con that has the right stick in the higher position and the buttons in the lower position (Like the Wii U gamepad), down the line?

I'd buy both.

Do you guys think Nintendo will make a left joy con that has a d-pad on it and a right joy con that has the right stick in the higher position and the buttons in the lower position (Like the Wii U gamepad), down the line?

I'd buy both.

I'd be interested in both. I would like to see Gamecube-style Joycons as well if Smash ever comes to Switch.

I'd buy both.

I'd get it. I will say, though, that I'm pleasantly surprised at how well the left joy con face buttons work for 2D games. They seem a little wider, firmer, and clickier than other face buttons, which replicates a D Pad fairly well. I've beaten Shovel Knight and Blaster Master Zero in handheld mode with no problems.

Iced

So is the only way to check if your joycons need repair to do the calibration thing behind your back? Or is there a list somewhere of serial numbers that are unaffected? Got my Switch and a spare pair of neon joycons this week.

I'd like to password protect purchases, and purchases only. I don't want to have to enter a password just to browse the shop. So I don't want to skip the password on launch if that means no password at all. It's not a big deal, but I consider it poor design as it's an impediment to browsing the shop.

I see, I assumed that was how it worked. I've yet to purchase anything digitally.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

For what it's worth you are forced to put in payment details on checkout in every case, that can serve as a protection unless you have left over wallet balance that is since it can be used right away.

If you set the TV output to 720p and play Zelda docked on a 720p display, the game would downsample from 900p, right? Wouldn't that effectively add a form of anti-aliasing?

I've been curious about seeing if Zelda looks appreciably better in docked mode (not only does it render at higher resolution but I think it also has higher setting for texture filtering​ if I remember reading correctly), but I don't have a TV and I hated how it looked on my PC monitor (I think it's my monitor's fault)... Then just now it occurred to me that I have the Sony HMZ-T1 head-mounted display that I never use, and I'm very interested to hook the Switch to it and try Zelda and Fast RMX. I'm curious how that would look docked on the native 720p displays, with OLED black levels and simulated large screen. I doubt it will dethrone my preferred​ method of playing in bed with the tablet holder overhead, if only for the comfort level alone, but the HMZ could offer a nice diversion every once in a while. Can't wait to try it but don't think I'll have the time before Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom