• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fernoca

Wow! The amFilm screen protector is the easiest protector I've ever applied!

Like, clean the screen, place it...that was it. Was expecting to fuck it off like always, was expecting dust...bubbles...re-read the instructions assuming I missed a step. XD

By the way, Pocket Rumble still has no date?

Suplexer

I really can't believe I managed to get my hands on one of these as early as I did. I was prepared to wait until Christmas, but managed to nab the last one a local Wal-Mart had about a week ago.

I have gone through two screen protectors, both being pack-in ones with accessories. The portfolio case is really great for playing in between classes, but it seems a little crooked (I might be crazy though).

Is there a definitive list of games coming out in the coming months with dates and descriptions?

GravyButt

Just got the system. Anyway to charge the joycons while they are connected to the tablet in the dock/tv mode while not in use(systems off?)

Also had a scare. Zelda wouldn't work. Kept giving me a software error please exit. Restarted it and it worked. Phew.

Any must haves? Just ordered an amfilm protector. Got a second pair of joycons. Was thinking of picking up a charging grip and pro controller when i can find one. Whats this usb c stuff all about?!

aBarreras

well i have confirmed, my left joycon doesnt grip right to the switch anymore, i think is a problem with the switch because as far as i can tell it holds tight to the joycon grip.

im wondering if sending it to warranty, but since im in mexico i dont know if they would be able to transfer my saves in the case that they have to replace it.

mmmmmm

ikuze

I just fixed the Joy-Con wobble that I've been experiencing on both sides. Just take the Joy-Cons off and apply 1-3 small squares of electric tape (less than 1x1cm) to the bottom of the rails of your tablet, and damn this thing feels rock solid now! I've had some annoying wobbling when in handheld mode, that I first thought was normal, but seems like this is an easy fix that makes the experience much better.

This is the second fix I applied to my Switch, the other one being scratch prevention on my dock by taping the insides with electric tape. I don't even mind having to do all this DIY stuff, it's kinda satisfying, haha.

Reminds me of my n3DS I got a few months, had this annoying plastic creaking in the back, so I had to remove the backplate and tape around the battery.

tl;dr: electric tape is the GOAT

Do you mind taking a picture?

Nesther

Do you mind taking a picture?

Sure thing!

930Gted.jpg

deadfolk

Anyone in EU get a game updated in the last day or so?

I saw a pop-up when I turned my Switch on today, but I only saw it out of the corner of my eye before it disappeared, so I don't know what game it was.

Poop!

Is there a thread about the new games released on Thursdays? There are 3 new ones today and wanting to read impressions but not finding any.

Eesh, that seems like a bad deal unless you want all those games.

I wonder if they have non-bundles in stock but not releasing them until the bundles sell out.

EDIT: Actually, since it's just stuff they sell and ship separately, of course they do. Scummy.

Poop!

Vroom in the Night Sky is pure crap, don't bother with this one, it got like 16 on Metacritic.
There's an OT for Graceful Explosion Machine here : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1358267
And people are discussing Alpha Mission II (and other Neo Geo games) here :http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1333497&page=25

Thanks! Maybe there should be an eStore thread to discuss new releases on Thursday? I'd make it but I'm still a junior.

Torn between GEM and Alpha Mission 2. Both look rad.

I'm wondering if AM2 supports screen rotating.

Brizzo24

When I go to system settings > internet > internet settings my Switch will often suddenly go black and freeze.

I've had this happen twice now. And the result is to hold the power button for like 10 seconds to shut it off.

Scary though when it happens as there's no indication on why it's doing this.

Anyone else getting this problem?

7roject28

Wow! The amFilm screen protector is the easiest protector I've ever applied!

Like, clean the screen, place it...that was it. Was expecting to fuck it off like always, was expecting dust...bubbles...re-read the instructions assuming I missed a step. XD

By the way, Pocket Rumble still has no date?

Yeah, I was surprised myself also. Just that my amFilm has a speck of dust sandwiched into it.

Vibed

Sent in my original joy-cons for repair, got em back, problems I noted were fixed.

The left joy-con's rumble sounded broken (like a spring was going off inside) and the left joy-con from my extra pair of joy-cons was having issues.

Send those two left ones in. Got em back today, and the fuckers didn't fix a damn thing or replace them. It seems this time they were sent to an authorized third party.

Sending them in a third time, hopefully this is the charm. The lady this time didn't sound like she knew what she was doing though...the second time the dude on the line was extremely helpful.

Omerta

I just bought a stand that will allow me to charge while playing... it got me thinking:

Couldn't the charging port at the bottom issue be fixed with firmware? Couldn't they rotate the screen when you turn the detached switch upside down when in tabletop mode?

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I just bought a stand that will allow me to charge while playing... it got me thinking:

Couldn't the charging port at the bottom issue be fixed with firmware? Couldn't they rotate the screen when you turn the detached switch upside down when in tabletop mode?

I don't think they want to encourage tabletop mode outside of using their own kickstand. Last thing you need is folks fabricating some sort of kickstand themselves and breaking their hardware in the process.

Jazzem

Is the game as brutal with jump heights as the original? Like, do you die from falling down more than a few pixels? That's easily the most frustrating thing in the NES game. They even kill you midair!

Ahah there is an element of that, still the level design seemed to be pretty gentle from what I played so that wasn't as frustrating as it could've been. There are pretty frequent checkpoints in the levels too, though you only have so many lives to finish them.

LordKano

So that cheap AC adapter I bought for 11 bucks online works perfectly with my Switch in handled mode. I can finally play in my bed without having to stop after 3 hours to plug it in the dock.
I'm done with accessories for now I think.

Oreoleo

*sigh*

My left joycon has developed something of a 'click' when I rock the stick back and forth between the 11 and 1 o'clock position. Sounds metallic when I go over it, like a spring in the way of the joystick's movement. Right joycon doesn't have anything like this.

Can someone confirm what I already know and tell me their left joycon doesn't do this? Before I suck it up and get a hold of Nintendo support.

GravyButt

‪don't know what to look for tbh but have newegg gift card...can anyone help me find a switch memory card on Newegg please for a good price?

Robin64

Hey remember when I was getting proper times on games in my profile while everyone else had to wait 7 or 10 days for it to show? Well today it's gone screwy in another way!

I've been playing Zelda since launch, and yesterday it said "Played for 105 or more hours". And, uh, now look.

I fly all the time for work and I use a portable charger with a USB-C to USB A cable and it keeps the switch at 100% while playing zelda.

I've never had a problem...

Airplane mode cuts power consumption. What brightness are you playing at? Volume level?

USB-A to USB-C does the trick, it even charges, albeit slowly. A long plane trip will trickle charge the Switch just like how a powerbank does for phones. You need USB-C to USB-C with PD capability to fast-charge while playing Zelda at full volume on headphones and max
brightness.

Any activity other than pushing the Switch hard in intensive activities, like if it's just idling on the dashboard, will top up the battery faster. I've seen Zelda topping up at 18W power draw (15V 1.2A) when measured through my USB-C power meter. That's in certain grassy area, in the rain, with Link's constant health warning beeping in the background, at max volume on headphones and brightness.

z4yBrVfl.jpg

This is a typical average readout while playing Zelda (max brightness, max volume, WiFi on), charging using my USB-PD capable powerbank. Between 15V 1A and 15V 1.2A. That charging rate allows 1% Switch battery topup every 2 minutes.
Using USB-A to USB-C on the USB-A port on the powerbank gives a stock 5V 1.5A, and using the same controlled conditions (max brightness, max volume, WiFi on), I barely moved 2% battery charge into the Switch after 22 minutes of charging.

Yeah, the Switch doesn't take full advantage (or any advantage?) of the power delivery stuff on USB C. Been a while since I read that thread, but I think it doesn't pull more than around 2a regardless so as long as you're plugged into something that can put 2a through a USB A to C cable you're good to go in terms of charging while playing.

Only thing to be careful of with A to C cables is to make sure you get a compliant one as bad cables can botch the power negotiation and fry things. Seems to be less of an issue with C to C cables (maybe even a non-issue).

It's the reverse. USB-A to USB-C falls back to the lowest safe charging rate, 5V 1.5A, IRREGARDLESS of any possible fast-charge/quick-charge protocol it has. Even if the USB-A port advertises itself as a quick-charge port with 2A, 2.4A or even maximum 3A.

USB-C to USB-C however can the capability of carrying up to 20V 5A, that's 100W. Failing charging protocol negotiation between the charging device and the device it is charging, means that there's overcurrent draw potential to fry your device. Hence the caution for USB-C to USB-C.

The rest, what FX-GMC said.

USB-PD/C devices will provide 15v/1.5a to the Switch. Anything non-PD will provide 5v/1.5a

HMD

So I just bought the Switch and I made an eshop account. Then I found out that I can't use my country in the Eshop, does anyone know how I can change my region to the US without any hiccups? Or should I just restart everything and delete the account?

empyrean

*sigh*

My left joycon has developed something of a 'click' when I rock the stick back and forth between the 11 and 1 o'clock position. Sounds metallic when I go over it, like a spring in the way of the joystick's movement. Right joycon doesn't have anything like this.

Can someone confirm what I already know and tell me their left joycon doesn't do this? Before I suck it up and get a hold of Nintendo support.

I don't think it's supposed to but my left joycon does this also.

Anaithsol

Neo Member
So I just bought the Switch and I made an eshop account. Then I found out that I can't use my country in the Eshop, does anyone know how I can change my region to the US without any hiccups? Or should I just restart everything and delete the account?

You should be able to change your account's region via the My Nintendo account settings page.

Here's a link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom