• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreoleo

I don't think it's supposed to but my left joycon does this also.

Dang this is weird. Someone on Reddit replied saying theirs does it as well. Now I'm less sure if it's a defect or not.

Does anyone's left joystick NOT click/feel like it's going over a bump when you rotate it around?

I just bought a stand that will allow me to charge while playing... it got me thinking:

Couldn't the charging port at the bottom issue be fixed with firmware? Couldn't they rotate the screen when you turn the detached switch upside down when in tabletop mode?

Yeh, to hell with the air vent LOL

So whats this usb cable thing I should buy? Anyone link me on amazon or newegg please?

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixe...an_k_google_tc_and_benson_leung_have_created/

Specifically this spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vnpEXfo2HCGADdd9G2x9dMDWqENiY2kgBJUu29f_TX8/pubhtml#

That spreadsheet is made with Google Pixel charging in mind, but cable recommendations are the same throughout. Pick one with a "3" or "2" rating. Anything less than that, has its description why it should be avoided. Most probably missing proper eMarkers and certification, a little on the technical side, but I dont take chances when it comes to USB-C-to-USB-C.

That spreadsheet was compiled according to recommendation by Nathan K and Benson Leung. https://www.extremetech.com/computi...-c-cables-in-wake-of-google-engineers-crusade

Scrawnton

Gah, my Nintendo Switch is now confirmed busted and is being sent back to Nintendo for repairs.

Lastnight I noticed the battery was draining really fast playing snakepass, I thought maybe it didnt charge fully or something so I let it charge over night and after work today I did an experiment. I set the Switch on my coffee table with zelda running as I played Persona.. it took my Nintendo Switch 54 minutes to die...

Same question, I'm still confused after all the voltage numbers. I just want to have an option to use one of my many banks as a charger until I get a USB-C specific one.

Simple. *This applies for charging on the Switch ONLY*

If you're using standard size USB-A, it tops out at 5V1.5A-2A.

If you're using USB-C, you can improve the charge rate if it has USB-PD capability that allows current draw of 5V, 9V, 15V and 20V, with varying amperage up to 5A.

The Switch only takes up to 2.6A, its own official AC charger tops out at 15V 2.6A.

Standard USB-A cant do 15V, only USB-C does, and ONLY if it has USB-PD capability.

Any form of quick-charging/fast charging isn't supported other than USB-PD. Check your AC charger or powerbank. If it advertises more than 2A out of its USB-A, it's a form of quick-charging. It wont work on the Switch though, charging on USB-A will top out at 5V 1.5A-2A on the Switch.

USB-C is a bit more complex. I'll stop here unless you want to delve into the complicated mess that is USB-C PD. :p

I recommend these:

Wall Chargers: Anker PowerPort+ 5 with USB-PD (Model A2053111).
Powerbanks: RAVPower 20,100 mAh Powerbank with USB-PD (Model RP-PB059), RAVPower 26,800 mAh Powerbank with USB-PD (Model RP-PB058-2), Xiaomi ZMI QB820 20,000mAh Powerbank with USB-PD.
Cables: Apple USB-C 2M cable [Model MLL82AM/A (A1739)], Belkin USB-C 2M cable [Model F2CU030bt1M-BLK].

butman

Something that came to my mind and it's very possible that it was already discussed.

There's a simple reason why the Switch can't be considered a handheld. All Nintendo handhelds was backward compatible with the previous one.

Majine

Banned
Something that came to my mind and it's very possible that it was already discussed.

There's a simple reason why the Switch can't be considered a handheld. All Nintendo handhelds was backward compatible with the previous one.

That's not the definition of a handheld tho.

There's an even simpler reason why Switch is considered a handheld:

One of the operating modes is literally called "handheld mode."

Meanwhile, if you search the Nintendo 3DS operations manual, the term "handheld" is never used once!

#checkmate

HMD

Is using the protective covering that came with the dock to protect the Switch screen from scratching a good idea?

I just bought a stand that will allow me to charge while playing... it got me thinking:

Couldn't the charging port at the bottom issue be fixed with firmware? Couldn't they rotate the screen when you turn the detached switch upside down when in tabletop mode?

Fuck the fan vent I guess.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
Surprised GameStop had one Switch in stock so I grabbed it. Is there a link for accessory recommendations or another topic or anything? I have screen protector on the way and a memory card, but I would like a nice case and a battery pack. Any thoughts?

Edit: ps. Can I go digital? Need to buy Zelda but I don't trust Nintendo. Tell me it'll all be ok.

Surprised GameStop had one Switch in stock so I grabbed it. Is there a link for accessory recommendations or another topic or anything? I have screen protector on the way and a memory card, but I would like a nice case and a battery pack. Any thoughts?

Edit: ps. Can I go digital? Need to buy Zelda but I don't trust Nintendo. Tell me it'll all be ok.
It'll all be okay

I just bought Binding of Isaac on digital. It'll be ok.

0racle

If you're using USB-C, you can improve the charge rate if it has USB-PD capability that allows current draw of 5V, 9V, 15V and 20V, with varying amperage up to 5A.

The Switch only takes up to 2.6A, its own official AC charger tops out at 15V 2.6A.

Standard USB-A cant do 15V, only USB-C does, and ONLY if it has USB-PD capability.

Any form of quick-charging/fast charging isn't supported other than USB-PD. Check your AC charger or powerbank. If it advertises more than 2A out of its USB-A, it's a form of quick-charging. It wont work on the Switch though, charging on USB-A will top out at 5V 1.5A-2A on the Switch.

USB-C is a bit more complex. I'll stop here unless you want to delve into the complicated mess that is USB-C PD. :p

I recommend these:

Wall Chargers: Anker PowerPort+ 5 with USB-PD (Model A2053111).
Powerbanks: RAVPower 20,100 mAh Powerbank with USB-PD (Model RP-PB059), RAVPower 26,800 mAh Powerbank with USB-PD (Model RP-PB058-2), Xiaomi ZMI QB820 20,000mAh Powerbank with USB-PD.
Cables: Apple USB-C 2M cable [Model MLL82AM/A (A1739)], Belkin USB-C 2M cable [Model F2CU030bt1M-BLK].

Does the Anker powercore 10000 work ? sorry im still a bit confused.

Does the Anker powercore 10000 work ? sorry im still a bit confused.

Yes.

Me too. Can I have a direct link to a store for a cable/charger? This is all way to foreign for me haha

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vnpEXfo2HCGADdd9G2x9dMDWqENiY2kgBJUu29f_TX8/pubhtml#

Choose a "3"/"2" rating on the third column marked "Suggested", there's link to purchase them on the leftmost column marked "Link". If you need more handholding than this, I can't help you.

Personally, I rather have a discussion, a check-and-balance sort of thing, than telling it straight up and risking my recommendations being wrong or risky, but it seems that I don't have a choice around here.

watershed

Banned
Question for people more tech savvy than me: if my laptop has an hdmi port, can I output the Switch when docked to my laptop to game on a larger screen? I would prefer that than to a tv.

0racle

Yes.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vnpEXfo2HCGADdd9G2x9dMDWqENiY2kgBJUu29f_TX8/pubhtml#

Choose a "3"/"2" rating on the third column marked "Suggested", there's link to purchase them on the leftmost column marked "Link". If you need more handholding than this, I can't help you.

Personally, I rather have a discussion, a check-and-balance sort of thing, than telling it straight up and risking my recommendations being wrong or risky, but it seems that I don't have a choice around here.

Awesome, the Anker powercore 10000 seems to be the smallest battery out there for the power rating. perfect to keep in the same case as the switch when on the go. I double I will ever play for 8+ hours at a time or before I have access to electricity to charge.

GravyButt

Yes.

Hmm it must not be loading correctly because I don't see a link on there. Just a bunch of mumble jumble and characters. Ill load on my desktop tomorrow and check it out. Didn't realize there were links. Thanks.

Thanks. The cable that came with the pro controller should be fine, hopefully. So I can plug it into my year old battery charger, it will cause no damage, but I won't get the full speed if I'm understanding correctly.

I had 75 bucks of rewards from my credit card on amazon.....Got myself a Captain Falcon amiibo since it doesn't seem like theyre reprinting it anytime soon....And I paid off my Mario Kart 8 preorder. Can't wait for April to end for this game. Woop.

Today when playing the Switch I had it undocked, legs up chilling to the tv and two hours passed before I knew it, and also I never once thought that I should dock it for a better experiance because the device is so good in portable mode.

That was my first real woah moment with the switch, how good it is to use undocked without thinking about it.

notaskwid

So, if there's still people looking for a Switch in Osaka, Bic Camera Tennouji will receive some tomorrow, might be able to still drop by and reserve one.

Thanks. The cable that came with the pro controller should be fine, hopefully. So I can plug it into my year old battery charger, it will cause no damage, but I won't get the full speed if I'm understanding correctly.

You're good on the cable. What is the charger model/specs?

NimbusD

Today when playing the Switch I had it undocked, legs up chilling to the tv and two hours passed before I knew it, and also I never once thought that I should dock it for a better experiance because the device is so good in portable mode.

That was my first real woah moment with the switch, how good it is to use undocked without thinking about it.
Yep I do it all the time haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom