• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If that powerbank is spec-ed correctly it should be okay. You'll be getting 5V 1.5-2.0A only instead of that 3.4A. That powerbank of yours was used by Arstechnica UK during their preliminary findings for Switch charging.
Excellent, thanks! Just plugged it in, seems to be working fine.

qko

Damn, I still haven't finished BoTW, it's just that every week there is an indie/ non AAA game that becomes my "break" from Zelda.
Week 1: Snipperclips
Week 2: Blaster Master Zero
Week 3: Binding of Issac
Week 4: Little Inferno
Week 5: Snake Pass

Aaaaaand now it's Graceful Explosion Machine.

I swore no more back log... it's starting all over again...

JnFnRu

Im just in two minds about Mario Kart coming out.

I had it on WiiU and played all the cups, unlocked everything and was always annoyed at no Battle Mode.

Now I see a battle mode and have my Switch on the go at work but do I pay again when I played all the courses already?!?!?!?!

Not sure what to do, any others in the same dilemma?

Machina

Banned

I had it on WiiU and played all the cups, unlocked everything and was always annoyed at no Battle Mode.

Now I see a battle mode and have my Switch on the go at work but do I pay again when I played all the courses already?!?!?!?!

I am buying it for no other reason other than to starve off the inevitable drought the Switch is gonna see during the Summer. Play MK8 while we wait for the hype train to leave the station at E3 just to keep our Switches in action

Something that came to my mind and it's very possible that it was already discussed.

There's a simple reason why the Switch can't be considered a handheld. All Nintendo handhelds was backward compatible with the previous one.

It's still outrageous that Nintendo released a 32-bit home console in 2009 with the DSi.
They're always so out of touch!

ASIS

A question for those who know how motion controls work.

We all know that the Switch handles rotation pretty well, that are the roll, pitch, and yaw, but can it detect movement along a single axis? For instance, if I move a joy con strictly along the X axis on the palm of my hand without ever rotating it in anyway, will it be able to accurately detect the motion?

Lizardus

A question for those who know how motion controls work.

We all know that the Switch handles rotation pretty well, that are the roll, pitch, and yaw, but can it detect movement along a single axis? For instance, if I move a joy con strictly along the X axis on the palm of my hand without ever rotating it in anyway, will it be able to accurately detect the motion?

Maybe using the IR?

Gilzor

Sorry if this has already been discussed (it's a big thread!), but is anyone experiencing smudging issues with the rubber grips? Not scratching, but just straight up smudging in the bottom left and right of the bezel? If had a Switch over a week now and it's still utterly pristine but the smudges every time I take it from the dock are a little annoying.

Phoenixus

Something that came to my mind and it's very possible that it was already discussed.

There's a simple reason why the Switch can't be considered a handheld. All Nintendo handhelds was backward compatible with the previous one.

Technically the GB Micro wasn't. And if that can't be considered a handheld, then I don't know what can. :p

Ushay

One of my work colleagues brought her Switch in the other. Had a chance to try it out plus Zelda.

As a handheld, I'm really impressed by it. Feels really good in the hands too. Can't wait to get one sometime later this year.

Jelle

Sorry if this has already been discussed (it's a big thread!), but is anyone experiencing smudging issues with the rubber grips? Not scratching, but just straight up smudging in the bottom left and right of the bezel? If had a Switch over a week now and it's still utterly pristine but the smudges every time I take it from the dock are a little annoying.
Same here. With a microfiber cloth and some breath dampness you can get it off. At least it came off my screen protector.

ASIS

Maybe using the IR?
That's how the Wii did it. But it's not possible on the Switch for a variety of reasons. That's the one thing that disappoints me about the Joy cons. That and the analog/ D button placement. But I love just about everything else about it.

ParityBit

So I was thinking of getting GEM to offset my only other game, Zelda.

What is the best way to do it? Directly through the Switch (The store layout really sucks) or can I do it online?

Also ..... how can I find which games have demos besides clicking on each game and seeing if there is a link for the demo?

Danneee

So I'm probably buying a Switch soon and was wondering if you can play 4 player Mario kart split screen with just 4 joycons?

dgco86

For some reason, when my Switch is connected to the dock via the USB-C extension cable, my wired ethernet adaptor is not detected, even when I go into Internet Settings and manually select wired network. The wired connection is detected automatically if I dock the Switch normally however.

I've tested this with 2 different wired ethernet adaptors (1 for the Wii and a 3rd party Gigabit adaptor) and 2 different extension cables and both exhibit the same issue. The ethernet adaptors work perfectly fine when the Switch is docked.

Anyone else facing this issue?

Bumping this...

Was backwards compatible with the ds, technically. Vita is obviously a home console considering it has no psp backwards compatibility.

Nah. It wasn't backwards compatible with the DS because it was a DS.

That's also the weirdest fucking distinction to use as an argument that something isn't a handheld.

ultrazilla

Found a Nintendo Pro Controller at StopGame after going in to check on something in stock for a friend. They had one left sitting on the shelf brand new so I grabbed it. I've been looking for them since the system launch!

Pinky

Banned
Finally got my pro controller in yesterday and tried it out with Zelda. I really like it! Feels good to hold. Good quality and feels solid. Now that I have a legit d-pad, I await the arrival of USF2.

japtor

If that powerbank is spec-ed correctly it should be okay. You'll be getting 5V 1.5-2.0A only instead of that 3.4A. That powerbank of yours was used by Arstechnica UK during their preliminary findings for Switch charging.
Minor note, it looks like the Amazon listing might be a bit off on that. Looking at the Jackery store itself, instead of two 3.4A ports, it's 1A+2.4A ports. If the Switch doesn't charge off one port just try the other.
Bumping this...
If the Ethernet adapters work fine when docked but not with the extension cable...it's probably the extension cable (or perhaps the seating). Do you know the spec of the cable (USB 2.0, 3.0, 3.1*?), and what length is it? If it's a longer cable you might want to try a shorter one. I'd guess it's just a signal degradation thing.

*Technically 3.0 got semi rebranded to "3.1 gen 1" once 3.1 came out, which itself became "3.1 gen 2". Or "Superspeed" vs "Superspeed+", or 5gbps vs 10gbps. I'd be kinda surprised if the Switch used 10gbps USB cause it isn't necessary for what it has now, but who knows.

dgco86

Minor note, it looks like the Amazon listing might be a bit off on that. Looking at the Jackery store itself, instead of two 3.4A ports, it's 1A+2.4A ports. If the Switch doesn't charge off one port just try the other.

If the Ethernet adapters work fine when docked but not with the extension cable...it's probably the extension cable (or perhaps the seating). Do you know the spec of the cable (USB 2.0, 3.0, 3.1*?), and what length is it? If it's a longer cable you might want to try a shorter one. I'd guess it's just a signal degradation thing.

*Technically 3.0 got semi rebranded to "3.1 gen 1" once 3.1 came out, which itself became "3.1 gen 2". Or "Superspeed" vs "Superspeed+", or 5gbps vs 10gbps. I'd be kinda surprised if the Switch used 10gbps USB cause it isn't necessary for what it has now, but who knows.

This is the cable I got:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FM4ZWV0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It claims to be USB 3.1 Gen 2, but I have seen a few reviews complaining about issues with data transfer/USB peripherals when using the cable. I've stopped using it for now since I'm a bit concerned about the cable potentially causing long term damage to the Switch.

FrankCaron

Gold Member
Has anyone had any issues with MicroSDXC cards not being read by the Switch? I bought a 128GB Lexar one that is read perfectly by the computer but not at all by the Switch. I did the system update, but afterwards, it tells me on reboot that the card can't be read.

Tried doing a fast reformat but was unsuccessful, and now trying a more full reformat.

Peltz

I'm grabbing it for the updated visuals and to play MK8 local multiplayer on the go.

Zelda showed there is a big difference between 720p and 900p, and MK8 will be 1080p native. So I think the better graphics is enough for me to jump on this one.

With Mario Kart 8 Deluxe coming out soon I'm on the fence with physical vs digital.

Normally it's a no brainer since BB GCU and Amazon have 20 % off but the portability of the Switch has me not so sure anymore.

Like last night I was in bed playing Zelda and had the urge to play some Binding of Isaac. But I was way too lazy to get up and get the cart, and I was suddenly wishing I had a digital copy.

First world problems I know.

HotHamBoy

With Mario Kart 8 Deluxe coming out soon I'm on the fence with physical vs digital.

Normally it's a no brainer since BB GCU and Amazon have 20 % off but the portability of the Switch has me not so sure anymore.

Like last night I was in bed playing Zelda and had the urge to play some Binding of Isaac. But I was way too lazy to get up and get the cart, and I was suddenly wishing I had a digital copy.

Digital for convenience. Especially games that are good for short sessions and regular play.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Has anyone had any issues with MicroSDXC cards not being read by the Switch? I bought a 128GB Lexar one that is read perfectly by the computer but not at all by the Switch. I did the system update, but afterwards, it tells me on reboot that the card can't be read.

Tried doing a fast reformat but was unsuccessful, and now trying a more full reformat.

are you formatting on the switch or on a PC? i formatted my SD card for Wii U on PC but when I put it into my Wii U it wanted to format it again and said I wouldn't be able to use it on any other device. So I guess it does it in a way that you can't do on PC and maybe the Switch is the same?

I wish we could install the game somehow to our switches from the game carts.. But I guess Nintendo doesnt want that to spur piracy. I am running into the same issue in that Amazon was selling Mario Kart 8 and Mario Odyssey for 47.99 to Prime members and I jumped on that.. Might reconsider and go digital.

ParityBit

So I am still up in the air about physical and digital myself.

I have a 128, but nothing says I couldn't buy a second one and just put games on them rather than dealing with the carts.

I did buy Zelda though at the store. Probably should have done a download ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom